MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ The Making of X ❯ Revised edition ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Making of X

by Macross_Green

Author's Note: This is a revised edition of a work I have done previously, of the same name. Now, keep in mind that this was originally done long before Erico's "Whispers in Time," and therefore does not, as a result, follow the same path as that particular work of fanfiction. Which, by the way, is deeper and probably much better than any fanfic that I've ever written. I'd suggest that if you read this, that you look up that fanfic and read that instead. I don't know if Erico is still writing or not, but his works are still here, and they still kick ass. Anyway, enjoy.

Disclaimer? Oh, yeah. It's on my profile, but here it is anyway. I don't own anything that Capcom does, save for copies of games. Don't sue me, unless you want maybe a bent nickel.

---
Dr. Light's Lab
---

There was plenty of light in the workplace that I always was to be found in. There had to be, for my eyesight was leaving me slowly, and the need for glasses was becoming stronger with each passing month. I was standing at a table that held a small robot feline on it- Tango, an 'attack cat' that I'd created a while ago. She'd been caught out in the cold last night after being let out, and now her joints seemed almost frozen solid. At least she was rust-proof, I thought to myself, as I smiled towards the unfunctioning kitty that was deactivated on the table.

"Ah... here we are." I said, and I began to refill the oil tank that she had within her. In order to move as fast as she did, she did require a bit of mainenance every so often. The oil helped keep her joints warmed up, even if she only could carry a few ounces of it at a time. It took only a moment for her tank to fill up, and I stopped pouring the oil in and closed the small service panel on her back before activating her. "Tango, is that any better?" I asked the cat as it booted up, running the diagnostics that I had installed into its brain.

The attack cat soon was finished booting up, and its eyes glowed slightly yellow before fading into the eyes that I had created for it. It replied with the normal meowing that cats usually gave, and I smiled. At least I could create the robotic animals of the house to do what they were required to do. Tango was used to keep away mice and keep watch over the lab, ever since I had determined that Tango could do only so much with such a small body against Wily's war machines. As I thought about Wily, Tango jumped off of the table and wandered off to patrol, which it had been programmed to do when not needed by myself, Roll, or Rock.

Wily and his damned robots. We'd been partners once, he and I. Just how was I to know that he'd resented being an assistant to me for all those years? Or was it the experiment with Protoman that had cinched everything? The warp experiment that had proven to be dangerous to a human's mental state. We'd tried a warp experiment using one of the many 'Met-all' robots that we had created, with Protoman to keep things in order. I told Wily to stay behind the shield, just in case. But no, he just had to get a closer look, like we'd been wanting to do for years now.

Then the Met-all went berserk for a moment, and I never did find out why or how that had happened. All that I knew was that the Met-all blew up and the warp experiment was too far along in the process to be shut down. The sudden energy burst into the warp field and blew everything out of proportion. Protoman was enveloped by the light and was gone, even as he pushed Wily out of the way. I didn't see him for years after that, unfortunately. Wily was hurt by the expanded field, and I shut the experiment down immediately. But the damage had been done.

Years later, Wily is still on the loose. A madman with a dream of not just conquering the world, but of destroying my family. Rock was the one robot that my old partner had never been able to defeat, mentally or physically. During his initial rebellion utilizing our six 'robot masters' that were to be used like foremans in their areas of expertise, he'd even gone so far as to kidnap Rock, the replacement I had made for Protoman. He was, like his predecessor, a lab assistant that would help me with experiments in many fields- plasma technology, energy reactors, and even the warp field experiments that I had finally managed to get stabilized enough to transport non-living matter through.

Wily reprogrammed the first six 'masters' and attempted to do the same with Rock. But, strangely, Rock resisted the reprogramming in much the same way that spyware seems to resist being deleted from a computer. When he was rebooted, Rock retained his original programming. My programming, and Wily's was ignored. Wily was furious and attempted to have him destroyed by sending two of his robot masters after him. Wily never could take no for an answer... and he couldn't stand the thought of a robot denying his programming.

When Rock returned to the lab, badly damaged and barely able to move, I knew something had to be done about Wily before our creations could be used to destroy the creations of our race. Wily had to be stopped. During the repair process of fixing Rock, I upgraded him as well. I provided my 'son', as I thought of him, with armor capable of deflecting attacks. A plasma cannon with enough firepower to destroy a tank. And enough mobility to keep any martial artist on his toes. His programming, I altered, and swept away any and all traces of Wily's reprogramming attempt as well. He was no longer a mere lab assistant anymore, not by the time I was through with him. The black hair that I'd given him was now hidden beneath a blue helmet, much the same color as his suit of armor.

I don't know why, but the new designation I gave him just seemed to work well with his new look. Mega Man.

---

Since that first rebellion, there had been seven more robot attacks, all verified to have been instigated by Wily himself. That deranged fool even fooled me once into helping him by creating the giant peacekeeping robot known as Gamma. How was I to know that he would take all the power crystals and reprogram this robot, just like the original six, into a war machine for him to try and take over the world with? And then during the rebellion after that, Wily coerced another respected scientist into creating a batch of eight robot masters to defeat Mega Man with. Turned out that my old partner was holding Dr. Cossack's daughter hostage.

It was during the third rebellion, the one involving Gamma, when Protoman (or, as I like to remember him, Blues) reappeared. He carried that plasma shield with him still, and it seemed that he had been traveling throughout the world for years after the incident in the lab with the warp field. Wily found him, gave him a plasma cannon like Rock's, and set him loose to destroy his own successor. By that time, though, Mega Man had a few upgrades of his own, and held his own against his older brother. Blues was defeated three times before I realized who it was.

Blues was instrumental in the fourth rebellion as well, rescuing Cossack's daughter from Wily so Mega Man could go after the madman. The three laws of robotics which I had applied in him had been keeping Mega Man from directly going after Wily, after all, for fear that he might kill the young girl if he did.

A few rebellions later, and there was a new obstacle. I don't know how long Wily had been working on this one, for this particular problem was to become a persistent annoyance for us all. A new robot named Bass, with his own canine companion named Treble. Both were copies of Mega Man, but they were much more advanced. Bass had a buster much like Mega Man, but had even more agility and his weapon was faster even if Rock's was a bit stronger thanks to the upgrades installed in it. It had been at around the time of the fifth rebellion when my plans for a new robot came into being.

This one would put my programming skills for the mind of a robot to the test. It was a revolution of design possibilities, a brand new generation of robots. None of my robots knew of these designs. I had been working on them for a while, and by the time of the seventh rebellion I had many notes compiled as to the new design. Taller, stronger, more mature physically. A mind capable of actually learning, rather than installing programs. Capable of fully enjoying the wide range of emotions! There was only one possible way to provide such information, I knew. It took a human mind to provide feelings, emotions of intensity.

I made a copy of my mind and within a few years, managed to isolate the emotions factored in my mind out of the entire thing. By then, the new robot's body was already in the works in the deepest part of the lab. But, there was a problem. Partially through the seventh rebellion, Bass had come into the lab for repairs at Rock's insistance. Why am I such a blind, trusting fool? I allowed it, and Bass was repaired. As soon as the repairs were finished, though, he went berserk, attacking the lab and taking anything he could get his hands on. He teleported out shortly before Mega Man could return, but I knew what he had managed to steal. There was nothing else, no notes other than those! He had also taken Mega Man's newest upgrades before I could install them into him, but the notes were even more important.

The new design notes were missing. When Mega Man returned, I told him what happened but left out any information regarding his successor. It was strange, I thought. Why hide the creation of his newest brother from him? It was to my great surprise when Blues came in after Rock had left. He knew what was going on. That first robot of mine always seemed to know what was happening, long before most anyone else did. I sighed softly, and confided in him. I told him about the new design, and even showed him the work that had already been completed.

He seemed to absorb the information well enough. He knew what was at stake here. I was old, and only getting older, too. There's no way to turn back the clock, after all, especially at my age. This would be my crowning achievement and legacy. "Doctor," he began, and I listened to my oldest son. "Don't keep this a secret from Rock. If Wily has the notes for building a robot like this, then it is necessary to get them back!" he told me, and I nodded slightly. It was true. If Wily put all his soul and resources into creating a robot like this new one, a new generation of robot with a greater possible firepower than was possible right now? It could very well be nigh invincible and unstoppable.

"I can't tell him though, Blues. We both know that he has had to deal with Wily for years. Every single time, he has put his life on the line to save ours. I can't tell him that I'm making a successor; that would demean everything he's done!" I told the red and gray robot. He understood, I think. But there was little that I could do at this point. There was very little that anyone could do, in fact. Against Bass and the upgrades that were meant for Mega Man, only Mega Man himself stood a chance. And not much of one, either.

---

And here it is. After the eighth rebellion and King's attack. The new robot was nearing completion. Only his armor and buster remained unfinished now. He looked so much like Mega Man, I couldn't help but to smile a little bit as I gave him a new designation. "Mega Man X." I told myself and placed a hand on the glass that separated me from his prone body. His new armor was a major increase in protection from the one that Mega Man now used. Not even the Rush Armor adapter could provide as much protection now.

All armor had weak points, including X's. But now, I began work on more designs for him. Newer armor, newer parts. Mega Man X was my son, and like both my sons already, I had to be sure that he was safe. Mega Man threw himself into harm's way time and again, and even Protoman had done his share of fighting as well, especially after learning about X's existence. My cloned mind held all the secrets that I had ever had, possessed the knowledge that I did. It was immensely satisfying that my personality and mind would live on to see my greatest creation and third son live in the world. It would carry on my work of providing the sets of capsules to X if he ever needed them.

In hidden bunkers I hid the capsules. All around the world, for one never could tell when or where disaster might strike. There was even a capsule that I entrusted to Dr. Cossack, a man that had shared his resources with me in thanks for Protoman saving his daughter. That capsule was one that could provide Mega Man X the details of our world, one where the Robot Wars had become an almost yearly occurrence. Information, copies of the memories of Mega Man, Roll, and Blues. Why Roll? Because she had experiences with her brothers, information that could only be provided by a third party as to the roles of those involved in the robot wars.

---

Two years later, it was finished. Mega Man X had been finished, and set to rest in the charging capsule. I installed into him basic knowledge of many fields. Robotics, the sciences, math of course, around a dozen language programs and even text versions of quite a few books, such as War and Peace and that Lord of the Rings trilogy. Unlike Robot minds, which can immediately absorb information, this new generation of robot minds had been altered to more be able to actually learn rather than be 'set.' To absorb all the information that would be flowing into his mind, would take years. Many years, and I knew I would never be able to live long enough to see him activated finally.

Even though he could learn more than 50 percent faster than any human can, there was still that time factor. All the theories I had made were also set into the capsule with him. I hope that the world could allow my newest, and last, creation to live on his own, in peace and without having to fight in wars. But, as much of an optimist as I am, I am also a realist now. Optimism is a great thing if it could be allowed, but in my line of work, I've found that it is best to be safe, rather than sorry. My only regret is that my time here is still very short. The lab here in Japan will be X's resting place. All my shops will be run by Auto from now on.

I still had a few minor details to work on. I've heard rumors that Wily is attempting to create a new robot. He still has Bass, who continues to trouble Mega Man constantly. Why did Wily give that robot a sense of competition? Perhaps someday, everything will be decided. Wily and I are old and getting older. It is only a matter of time before we die, and then anything we will have made will continue to live, or be destroyed. Fate and destiny... I never bothered with those terms before, really. But what can one say when he constantly worries about the future?

---
September 18, 20XX
---

It would take thirty years, now. It had been two months since the last time I had visited X. This time, I even brought Roll and Tango with me. I smiled as I saw Roll's face light up with a smile when she saw her bigger, younger brother resting in the capsule. He looked every bit like an older version of Mega Man, from his armor to the buster that he wore on his right arm. He integrated everything I had ever created: the weapons copy ability that Mega Man had always had, ever since his days as a robot lab assistant. An upgraded charged buster, no less, was capable of pouring out more powerful shots of plasma than Wily could ever dream was possible.

Mobility had been increased as well. He could jump higher, further, and dash longer and farther than Mega Man could... well, theoretically. According to the computer models, he could. He was even stronger than Mega Man was, and his armor was able to take well over five times the damage that Mega Man could ever take. "Doctor Light... why did you create him, and why didn't you tell us about him?" I heard asked, and I was stirred out of my thoughts to look to Roll. I smiled softly to the confused look on her face- I'd integrated some features about emotions into Rock and Roll long ago.

"Because, I didn't want you or your brother to think I care any less about you now than I did years ago, Roll. You are my family, just as much if not moreso than X is." I told her, and I gave the robot that I had created a hug. It was reassuring that she hugged me back, even as Tango rubbed against my leg, a soft purring sound escaping the robotic cat. "When I die, I want my family to take care of our new sleeping family member. Do you understand, Roll?" I asked her now, squeezing her gently before releasing the robot that I had created.

She nodded slightly at my words- good girl, I told myself as I smiled softly. My family was in good hands. Everyone would go to Doctor Cossack's after a while, save for Mega Man X. He could not be moved during this delicate time. The transition was underway. She and Tango left a few moments later as I went to the computer and began typing in a caution message. If anyone disturbed my son before he had fully integrated all the information I had left him, then who knew what the consequences could be. No one should try to get into the lab... Except perhaps, Mega Man, Roll, Rush, and/ or Dr. Cossack, who I had signed the lab over to in my will.

With my age creeping up on me, and with my newest creation for my family complete, I thought, now would be a good time to retire. In 30 years... X would emerge from the capsule to take over for me. In that time, I would die... but, hopefully, Mega Man and Roll, my children, as I think of them, will survive. I leave my notes set inside both a computer database, and an old fashioned, titanium-crafted file cabinet, as I leave the lab. I turn the light off for the last time, as I know, with Wily gone and no longer threatening the world, it is rightfully time to leave this place, and to get my rest.

On the screen of the capsule, is a ever-scrolling text, with red background that flashes. To the direct right of the screen, a large amount of red lights flash, as well as a simple LCD display with the number 30 on it, and the word 'years' right beside that. The scrolling text on the screen depicts the last warning message that I leave for human eyes. I pray that the world allows X to choose a peaceful life... but as history is forgotten... it often repeats...

---

WARNING:

"X" IS THE FIRST OF A NEW
GENERATION OF ROBOTS WHICH
CONTAIN AN INNOVATIVE NEW
FEATURE - THE ABILITY TO
THINK, FEEL AND MAKE THEIR
OWN DECISIONS. HOWEVER THIS
ABILITY COULD BE VERY DAN-
GEROUS. IF "X" WERE TO BREAK
THE FIRST RULE OF ROBOTICS,
"A ROBOT MUST NEVER HARM
A HUMAN BEING", THE RESULTS
WOULD BE DISASTROUS AND I
FEAR THAT NO FORCE ON EARTH
COULD STOP HIM.

APPROXIMATELY 30 YEARS WILL
BE REQUIRED BEFORE WE CAN
SAFELY CONFIRM HIS RELI-
ABILITY. UNFORTUNATELY I WILL
NOT LIVE TO SEE THAT DAY,
NOR DO I HAVE ANYONE TO
CARRY ON MY WORK. THEREFORE,
I HAVE DECIDED TO SEAL HIM
IN THIS CAPSULE, WHICH WILL
TEST HIS INTERNAL SYSTEMS
UNTIL HIS RELIABILITY HAS
BEEN CONFIRMED. PLEASE DO
NOT DISTURB THE CAPSULE
UNTIL THAT TIME.

"X" POSSESSES GREAT RISKS
AS WELL AS GREAT POSSIBILI-
TIES. I CAN ONLY HOPE FOR
THE BEST.

SEPTEMBER 18, 20XX
T.LIGHT


---

Author's Note: It's been a while since I bothered with 'The Making of X', and it still makes me wonder what I was thinking. A fic done in Dr. Light's point of view? I know it sucks compared to 'Whispers in Time,' so I hope you guys will forgive me. Anyways, please review.