MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Zero: Soul of a hero ❯ Doubt and Destiny ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Doubt and Destiny

- - -

“Give your report, Pulse.”

“The fortress is unable to move sir. They have posted a small guard in front of the only entrance, which cannot be sealed because it was made quite recently and violently.” Zero managed to smile, though the subject was bittersweet. Pierrot’s sacrifice had produced a massive and gapping hole on the behemoth’s side in addition to grounding it.

“What about you, Tone?”

“The area around is clear. There will be no reinforcements for either side. We are alone and so is Weil.”

Zero sighed, but nodded. Compared to the many times he, X and Axl had infiltrated enemy facilities alone, having a small army along to help was considered a luxury.

Tone’s tone was restless. “Aren’t we going to attack immediately? The sooner we end this the better”, he dared agitated, obviously having overcome his shyness towards the red legend.

Zero shook his head wearily. “As much as I would love that, we have to wait. Many soldiers are still recovering, much like the two of you. I shouldn’t even be sending you on these scouting missions. We all need to rest for a while and, as you said, Weil’s castle isn’t going anywhere any time soon.”

As Pulse tried to protest, Zero eyed a certain lone cyan reploid. “And there is another reason as well. We won’t be setting a foot on this thing until all of us are at peek performance. That includes mental aspects as well as physical ones.”

The two brothers quickly realized what the crimson hunter implied and hushed. Ever since Pierrot’s stunt, X had retreated to himself once again. Zero motioned to Axl who nodded and they both walked towards their distressed friend. X didn’t notice them until Zero cleared his throat annoyed.

“Is everything in order, Zero?” The red bomber had to utilize a considerable amount of willpower to refrain from kicking his friend’s face in. X’s voice was toneless and flat, nearly trance-like.

Here I am, leading an army along with Axl, while the rightful and trusted leader is experiencing a mental breakdown. I mean, Axl and I, of all the people! If they had told that to me ten years ago, I would still be laughing.

“X, please, get a hold on yourself.”

“But Zero...how can you...how can I...”

Oh, but he so deserves that kick. Does he really think he is the only one who feels like crap? Does he think so low of me and Axl, after all these years. Poor, delusional bastard. I ought to... Don’t go mad, Zero, not now. One insane commander is enough. Try the subtle approach. Yes, as long as I keep it calm, I might still...

His train of thought was interrupted by an insanely loud noise. It seemed Axl was not as determined and motivated to keep his calm. Zero gasped in disbelief as the smaller reploid found a hold on X’s armor and virtually lifted him above the ground, shaking him furiously. His voice was so booming, Zero felt his armor resonating.

“HOW DARE YOU, SITTING THERE LIKE THAT?”

Zero tried to calm the enraged reploid down, but he might as well be trying to reason with a wall. Axl continued shouting. “You act so selfishly, just mourning over the past. Have you even forgotten Pierrot’s last wish? Will you just sit there and rot along with the rest of the world? You are driving everybody crazy when you are like this. If you keep it like that, we might as well surrender ourselves to Weil right now. It will save us some time.”

At first, the blue-armored reploid endured the verbal onslaught stoically. Just before Zero could intervene, X reacted. He hugged his long time friend and leaned on his shoulder, releasing the grief caged within his frame. After a while, he spoke in a steady, focused tone. “I am unworthy of your friendship, Axl, Zero and everybody else. I do not deserve to be a leader, but now...Now I will do my best and hope for a bright tomorrow.”

Everybody present applauded in unison out of impulse. Their leader was back. Zero turned his back to the scene, shrugging it off as usual. There would be time for introspection later.

As everything returned to normal, X spoke again. “I’m ready any time, Zero. We can go right now.”

The red reploid in question turned again and cocked a brow. “Remind me, please, how long has it been since any of us three had an opportunity to sleep. It must have been something like ten days. I have really lost count.”

Everybody went silent, until Zero spoke again. “Everyone but the appointed sentries is to eat, drink and sleep to their heart’s content. You may also use up to half the remaining med-kits should you need to do so. In ten hours from now, we initiate the final assault.”

“Meaning?” asked Axl exited.

“We get to put a mad scientist in the ice.”

- - -

Axl was thankful for the opportunity to get some sleep. Even though reploids can last without sleep much longer than humans, they still need some time to subconsciously organize their thoughts and clear their minds. His eyes closed as soon as he touched the pillow, sending him drifting into the dreamworld, in particular to an event of the distant past.

-

Axl and X were siting under a tree, next to a surprisingly clean stream of water.

“This mission is stretching far too long”, whined Axl.

“This mission didn’t really require all three of us. You are the one insisting to tag along. We will catch up to the fleeing maverick in two days. We can travel faster than him.”

“But we have been chasing that guy for half a week already. The rations are over and I’m starving.”

“Use your energy core for a change. You have been hogging far too much for as long as I’ve known you.”

“I’m a growing child, you know. I have needs.”

“This is such a lame and cheap excuse for a reploid.”

“But we could still use some lunch.” Axl and X turned to regard Zero, who was busy joggling six rather large eggs while casually walking towards the duo.

X frowned. “I remind you, this is not a picnic, Zero”, he chided, although he was not really annoyed.

“Some times you sound like a century-old geezer, X”

“I am more than a century old”, returned X, but quickly realized his fault.

Both Axl and Zero burst into loud laughter.

“You are a brave one to admit as much X”, said Axl.

“Antique”, sneered Zero.

“Hey, you are as old as I am”, complained the blue-armored reploid indignantly.

“Even if I were, you can’t prove it. Now, do you want these eggs or not?”

Both X and Axl accepted a pair of eggs.

“Are we supposed to eat them raw?” inquired Axl, not really thrilled by the prospect.

“Well, we could light a fire to notify that maverick of our position...” said X grimly.

“I get the picture... What are you going to do, Zero?”

He turned and gasped at what he saw. Zero had found a large stone, flat and relatively clean. Producing a tiny bottle, he then applied oil on it before igniting his saber and causing it to boil in seconds. Ignoring the younger reploid’s incredulous stare, he proceeded to break the eggs and fry them on the spot by occasionally passing his blade over them. After a while, he utilized the beam weapon as a spatula, launching both fried eggs in the air and cutting them to neat even pieces. Soon, each piece found its way to his mouth with enviable acrobatic flair.

“Hey, isn’t that unhealthy? You must have terminated thousands of mavs with this sword”, observed the black tiger after collecting his jaw from the ground.

“Not really. When I shut it off and turn it on again it becomes as clean as new”, replied the crimson hunter smugly.

Axl blinked for a few seconds, then voiced his thoughts. “Hey, how are X and I going to eat them.”

“Use what you have, kid”

Axl turned and incredulously regarded his twin pistols. “You can’t be serious”

“He is right you know”, came X’s voice from behind him, the older reploid trying to suppress belly-aching laughter.

Axl turned and what he saw once again sent his jaw to a free fall. X was holding his formed and filled with water buster upwards. His two eggs were boiling inside the barrel.

“What...what are you doing?” he managed to ask, clearly dumbfounded.

“Well, boiled eggs are not as tasty as fried ones, but I am not one to complain.”

At long last, Axl regained his speech function. “Could you help me with the eggs once you have finished with yours?” he asked politely, biting his lip.

Zero and X exchanged a mischievous glance. “What do you think, Zero? Should we help him?”

“Sure, why not. Just let me think of a highly unreasonable request first. I’m not one to lose such opportunity.”

“Alright, forget I even asked. I guess I will change to a form that can cook those eggs. From what animal are they, anyway?”

X abruptly stopped eating and turned to regard Zero. A heavy silence followed and Axl could swear the blue reploid’s face assumed a green hue.

“Trust me, you don’t want to know”, responded Zero, talking with mock gravity. Axl was reduced to unbridled chuckles while X debated whether he should purge his digestive unit.

-

“Wake up, Axl. It is time for action.”

As soon as Axl escaped Morpheus clutches, he stood up, twirled his pistols and smiled.
“Yeah! I have been waiting for that for a long time.”

“Then hurry up. You overslept again and we must talk to the soldiers”, chided X, obviously refreshed himself.

As the three commanders gathered together, X found a higher perch and addressed the gathered soldiers. “This will be the last battle, everyone. Now we have to choose who will come inside. Please understand why we do this. Everybody here has done their best for a long time, but only the strongest and healthiest of us can go on, lest we become a crowd. Combat in closed quarters is different from outdoor battles. Unfortunately, I will not accept any of the human fighters along. I know most of you are stronger than many reploids, but your survival uniforms are ruined and you will have no chance inside this fortress without them. The same goes for lightly armored reploids. Those that will stay behind will be more than busy though. You must secure the area while waiting for the wave of hostages we will be sending out. And should we fail...I want you to blast the fortress to dust. We will rig the bombs as we travel in it.”

There were many volunteers so they had to cut down the numbers. At long last, the team was formed. X, Axl and Zero were of course in it, as were the Tone and Pulse brothers. Along with them went a team of fifteen, more mundane but not less determined, reploids.

Just before the attack, Zero regarded Tone and Pulse. It was difficult to believe these two were brothers. Tone’s armor, still dented but far from useless, was light but durable, painted an eerie dark violet color. His green eyes seemed to glow under the black visor of his helmet as he removed his quarterstaff from his back and turned on the blue-colored beam scythe. Few could match his speed and precision with it.

Pulse’s dark emerald armor was much bulkier, especially since he had already phased in his four cannons, one on each shoulder and one on each hip. The weapons’ supports could rotate almost freely, giving him the ability to aim anywhere without shifting his body. What he lacked in speed, he compensated with his overwhelming rate of fire, even more reinforced by the two additional busters he was holding in his hands.

He seems ready to hold his ground against a whole artillery division. What exactly do these two have in common?

His thoughts were interrupted by a cacophony of energy discharges, as the rest of the soldiers dispatched the meager guard, allowing the twenty-reploid team to enter the fortress unhindered. The grim squad made its way through defenses capable of stopping a lone infiltrator but presenting them with no mayor difficulty. All the while they planted potent explosive charges every few seconds.

They soon reached a room with a large pit of spikes and no apparent way to cross it. Their sharp, monomolecular tips gleamed under the ambient lighting and powerful electric discharges danced on their surface, promising instant demise. As everybody else stopped cold on their tracks, Zero turned and regarded them.

“What’s the matter? Don’t tell me you will let a pitiful mousetrap like this stop you.”

When nobody responded, he sighed, formed his buster and started blasting at the spikes, literally reducing them to nothing more than scrap. As everybody followed his lead, the spike trap lasted for less than thirty seconds...

At long last, they reached a wide, plain chamber featuring a great screen. The face on the screen was fairly known to everybody. Weil simply loved showing off.

“So the brave reploids are here to dispose of me”, he mused, his voice mockingly dramatic.

X managed to keep his wrath in check, his voice formal and adamant. “You have already been banished from your land of birth and you have lost any right as an Arcadian citizen. Your major crimes are global treason, genocide, enslavement of humans and reploids, severe disruption of the environment equilibrium and multiple uses of weapons of mass destruction. You will follow us peacefully and you might be spared, or you can resist and force us to kill you on the spot.”

The person at the other side of the screen seemed furious. “You fools think you can get rid of me so easily? Let’s see how exiled I will be when I burn what is left of Arcadia to the ground and force everyone to beg for their lives in front of my throne’s feet. The meek spineless individuals you regard as superiors will wilt against my might after I eradicate you and your pitiful ragtag army.”

Axl had heard enough. “Your time is over you self-centered freak. You have caused more harm than all the events of the last century combined. This ends here. YOU end here”, he spat, waving his pistol frantically for effect.

Weil regained his composure and smirked. “Mere reploid weapons will never threaten my life. It seems you have forgotten that you are only machines that think they are human. Allow me to remind that fact to you.”

A small vent opened on the ceiling and a black, shimmering cloud emerged. Dozens of cyber-elves filled the room descending upon the twenty reploids.

Weil cackled in glee. “I must thank you, X. It was you who discovered and helped us complete the mother elf. She has helped you immensely against Sigma, but now that I have modified her, I can create copies. Behold the baby elves. Their structure is 50 percent the same as the modified mother elf, in effect the part of her we can understand. With them I can control any reploid I choose. You and Zero will be worthy additions to my army.”

The black wave rippled, each elf going after a reploid and trying to integrate in their systems. The fifteen lesser reploids let out a scream in unison and their eyes became unfocused. All of them started chanting Weil’s name mindlessly.

Axl, Tone and Pulse brought their hands on their heads, apparently in excruciating pain while X and Zero were not affected in the least, merely watching in disbelief as their comrades lost themselves. The two cyber-elves exited their bodies and cried with barely human voices. “Mi,mimi... They not reploids...fake reploids, miiii.”

Weil regarded them incredulously. “But that should affect every reploid. What is happening here?” he demanded.

Zero challenged the tyrant. “Exactly Weil. Every reploid. But X and myself are not really reploids. Real reploids are based on X’s design and their initial forms were developed by Dr. Cain. But X was the prototype and I was build partially based on X and partially based on, let’s say, unique designs. You have no power over us.”

Weil was fuming, but then his expression became a wicked smile. “So, will you now fight alone against your former comrades?” he taunted.

“They will not be alone!” Everybody turned and regarded Axl, who was apparently in control of himself.

“How...”

Axl smiled. “Well, I’m not your average reploid either. I usually avoid using the DNA data of the two of you, because they cause compatibility errors, but with some caution I can partially alter my neural network to cancel the control of the baby elves.”

Before anyone could respond, a blinding flash filled the chamber. They all turned to regard the Tone and Pulse brothers. Their hands were joined, clasped together tightly, and thousands of electric synapses were formed between them. On the back of each of their connected hands appeared an embedded, glowing white orb. Then the twin orbs resonated for a few seconds and the two reploids turned to regard their friends.

They spoke the same words in perfect sync and their voices echoed as one. ”I was created as part of a certain experiment that tested collective intelligence. Right now there is only one person with one mind speaking as we are mentally fused. I avoid to do that normally as it ruins our individuality, but I cannot be controlled while I exist as one.”

Zero smiled cockily at the face on the screen that was now redder than his armor. “Were you saying something, Weil? Loose ends have a way of strangling you, don’t you think?”

As the rest of the reploids moved to attack, Zero whispered something to Tone, then moved forward. The two brothers acted as two hands of the same person, Pulse charging all six of his cannons while Tone placed his activated scythe in front of them. The blast was absorbed by the wicked blue blade, transforming into a large semicircle wave of energy that was released at waist height. Zero anticipated the wave and jumped above it, landing and smashing the floor with his knuckles at full power. The combination of the small earthquake and the energy wave propelled all fifteen reploids away, without inflicting them any serious damage.

In the meanwhile, Axl and X moved to the second door across the room and blasted its reinforced frame into hot chunks of scrap metal. As all five reploids passed through the opening, Zero demolished the already damaged supporting beams of the previous chamber, causing the section close to them to collapse, effectively preventing their possessed friends from following them.

They stopped to rest for a while in the next room, which was filled with numerous computer terminals and other, more sophisticated contraptions. Axl, well versed in the ways of the hacker from before he left Red Alert, proceeded with checking said terminals while one by one they started to shut down.

#shutdown commencing...
Cancel procedure.
#shutdown overridden. Welcome to Weilnet.

After a little tinkering, Axl called everybody else. A three-dimensional map of the fortress was displayed on his screen.

“It seems Weil and Omega are waiting for us at the top of the highest spire”, he said, indicating a flashing dot.

“How original. The big guys hiding behind an ocean of small fries. I sometimes think that all our enemies have some sort of collective intelligence or stupidity for the matter”, responded Zero.

“The weird thing is that the central spire and all the surrounding ones are, in reality a huge space shuttle, able to remain in outer space for an indefinite amount of time”, observed the black tiger, a finger rubbing his chin.

“Is Weil planning a space excursion or something? I have developed a certain dislike to such things since the Eurasia incident”, groused the other hunter.

X remained serious. “He might use it to escape, so we must board it fast”, he cautioned.

“Also, I have located the position of the hostages, but I can’t free them from here. Somebody has to go and use the control panel there. It will open a door close to our forces outside. “

“I will go. I don’t think my bodies will be much of a help against Omega.” It was a bit creepy to hear the two brothers talking as one like that, but X and Zero nodded.

“It will be much better to know innocent victims are out of the way, in case we do need to use the explosives”, declared X somewhat gloomily.

Zero rested his hand upon his friend’s shoulder. “Cheer up a bit. I’m not yet ready to go down and the same goes for you. When we dispose of these clowns, we will have a lot to do. Rebuilding this world, for example.”

X lightened up a bit, but failed to perceive the grave visage that dominated Zero’s face for less than a second.

When this is over, I will have to leave soon. I’m sorry X, but you will have to understand.

Axl turned to the brothers. “The control panel is twenty stories directly down from here. There is no easy way to get there, unless you...”

He stopped talking and smiled, as Tone and Pulse nodded and acted. Tone caused his sickle to retreat and then a blue, shimmering, round shield expanded from the butt of his staff. He placed the shield on the floor and walked on it, his feet unharmed. Pulse followed him and then charged his cannons and released the energy downwards. The shield absorbed the shots, then glowed fiercely, as the floor below it melted away. While the brothers went to an almost free fall, the three legendary hunters pressed forward.

Many minor battles later, they reached a massive door, which seemed to be heavily reinforced.
Axl spoke first. “This is the entrance to the shuttle. Past this door, everything will seem as the rest of the castle, but the door itself and all the surrounding walls are built to endure in outer space and survive meteor crashes. It will be difficult to break it down.”

Zero shrugged and readied his saber. “Whatever. Every door can be opened in due time.”

As on cue, the huge airlock door opened slowly and silently, clearing the way.

“Do you think he missed us?”

“This smells like a trap, Zero.”

“X, listen to what you say. Only the three of us are proceeding into the heart of a hostile stronghold, where we know we will face the strongest thing Weil can yet throw on us. This is a perfectly good definition of the word trap in my book”, he responded, only half-serious.

They reached the central spire facing little resistance and then started ascending the spiral grant stairs. Using their boosters, they virtually flew closer to the final battle. At some point, Axl took the time to bend to the side and look upwards while running. What he saw caused his face to be drained from energy fluids. Above the stairs hang a massive metal disk, supported by a multitude of magnetic locks and weighting hundreds of tons, effectively as wide as the chamber itself.

The locks started to disengage.

Axl frantically notified his friends.

X looked at the speeding disk gawking. “This is the maddest final trap. We can do nothing”, he muttered and yet proceeded to look around frantically.

Zero was the first to react, purely on instinct. As the disk crashed the stairs above them, he jabbed his saber into the wall, all the way to the hilt just above his head, a snarl escaping his set jaws.

The combined mass consisting of the disk and the demolished stairs reached the saber’s hilt... and soundly stopped, while the wall cracked under the pressure but endured. The ensuing silence was shattered by a very surprised Axl. “Th...this is not possible. No beam weapon could ever support such massive weight.”

Zero grinned. “X just said that this was Weil’s maddest trap. The best way to fight madness is to pit a greater madness against it. Guess who is now officially the maddest evil genius scientist in history”, he chuckled, although a careful observer would notice a strain of dread in his voice.

The three hunters proceeded to blast a large hole on the wall, just below the embedded saber. The wall was greatly fortified, but after a while they opened a hole large enough for them to get in. As on cue, the wall around the Z-saber gave in, allowing the disk to continue its destructive downfall. Zero barely managed to snatch his trusted saber before the massive weight swished next to him. With an insanely loud crush that rocked the castle to its very core, the disk landed on the floor below them and stopped. After registering the fact that they were comparatively out of danger, the trio wall-jumped on the now naked walls and entered the door at the top.

They reached another colossal chamber and finally saw what they came here to fight. The room was dominated by a levitating, gigantic reploid, his armor resembling that of a medieval knight, Omega. The protective plates were a shinning, metallic silver, adorned with pink, black and red shapes. On his helmet stood a pink metal feather and his large cape sported a fine red finishing. Strapped on his back, there was a massive greatsword, almost as tall as its owner, with a cross-shaped point. His spiked knuckles and arms were not attached on his torso, but they levitated at their respective positions instead, as if connected by invisible strings. His onyx black face was covered by an even darker visor and his smile reflected dreaded malice, not unlike Sigma’s but perhaps even more disturbing.

Behind him, standing on a raised platform and protected by a cackling forcefield, loomed the world’s greatest nemesis, Dr. Weil.

“So you have arrived, despite the traps I have placed”, noted the definitely-not-good doctor, keeping his hands before him, fingertips touching.

“Traps? What are you talking about, Weil? We didn’t even break a sweat while coming here”, taunted Zero.

The would-be ruler frowned. “This will be quite enough. Omega, show them what pain really is, then exterminate them.”

The massive reploid growled in accordance and a volley of green, high energy orbs erupted from his eyes, meant to quickly dispatch the three hunters. They easily avoided the attack while the shots bounced on the floor and exploded on a far wall.

“You’ll have to try better than that, big guy”, said Axl as he retaliated with a rain of energy pellets. The attack had no effect whatsoever as the shots bounced harmlessly on the thick armor.

X’s attacks also had no effect on the armor initially, but a stray shot hit Omega’s head. The giant snarled, indicating the attack had caused some damage.

“Aim for the head”, ordered X, as he dodged another string of shots that almost caught him off-guard.

“Roger.” Zero dashed forward, avoiding more shots, and passed between the colossus’ legs. Dashing vertically on the wall and jumping cleanly over Omega, he delivered a charged saber smash on his head. The weapon released a powerful wave of energy and caused a hot draft of air to lash all around the chamber. The others looked incredulously at Zero’s target. Though the powerful attack had obviously caused pain, the damage was hardly obvious.

Before Zero had an opportunity to touch the ground, one of the giant’s hands moved away from the body, grabbed him and smashed him to the opposite wall with enough force to shake the entire fortress. The other hand moved close to the other two reploids and expanded its fingers, revealing a bright green orb grafted on the palm. A spiral shockwave was then created, catching X and Axl by surprise and throwing them backwards. In midair, Axl span around and delivered some flame shots right on target. This only seemed to annoy Omega like so many mosquitoes and he merely halted his attack. X phased in his Ultimate armor and stopped his flight, stilling in the air.

In the meanwhile, Zero struggled against the wall to escape from the hand’s firm grip. As he felt his armor slowly giving in, he slashed with his left hand, holding his saber and trying to channel as much power in his swings despite the awkward leverage. The powerful gauntlet armor was slightly dented, but there was no other effect. Running out of options, Zero slashed at the wall behind him instead. The already cracked barrier collapsed and Zero along with the hand went out of sight.

Axl landed hard on his back, but immediately rolled away and jumped to avoid the other giant speeding hand. He cringed as the floor where he had been standing was reduced to dust, sharp armored fingers digging deep in the otherwise sturdy material.

With the two hands temporary out of the way, X dashed towards Omega’s head, avoiding some halfhearted shots and slamming viciously right on target via his Nova strike. The hit rocked the giant and almost caused him to lose his balance. The second hand disengaged from the floor, levitated high above it and started raining shockwaves downwards.

Axl avoided a eye energy orb and his body started to change. His frame became much smaller, but a large spiked metal ball formed where his hand used to be. His feet locked magnetically on the floor while the spikeball sailed through the air whistling, to connect with the giant’s visor. X released a Hermes armor charged beam at the same time, then changed back into his Ultimate armor and dashed away from a waterfall of shockwaves coming from above. As he returned to the ground, a black flash passed right next to him.

Zero, his armor exchanged for its much stronger black counterpart, dashed with insane speed towards Omega, then jumped high while his extended blade ignited with an angry orange fire. The attack left a superheated trail on the massive armor and caused its owner to cry in pain. When Zero reached the apex of his leap, he turned his sword downwards. The blade flashed white and became a razor spike, coated with super-cooled ice. The iced saber slashed right on the line of the last attack, the difference between temperatures causing the armor to split in half.

X and Axl promptly grabbed the chance to deliver their most powerful shots at the opening, while avoiding the giant’s first hand that followed close to Zero’s wake. While said hunter was slapped away like a fly, the duo unloaded a torrent of light, heat and energy on the wounded titan.

The two hands fell on the floor deactivated and the colossus seemed to be defeated. The silence of anticipation was shattered by Weil’s laughter. “That was a great show, you fools. Though I did not manage to finish him, I have already given him part of the mother elf’s power. Behold his true strength and despair!”

Omega shinned with an inner light and the gash on his armor vanished, mending almost instantly. His hands returned to his sides and every single dent faded away as well.

“Damn, he seems as good as new. How are we going to beat this thing?” exclaimed Axl exasperated.

“We can still hurt him and we have only suffered minor injuries. Since we can dodge most of his attacks and since he can regenerate like that, this will be a battle of attrition. We just have to damage him faster than he can compensate. Keep your wits around you”, advised Zero his black armor fading back to red.

One of Omega’s hands reached to his back and got hold of the gigantic metal sword. He tried a low swipe, causing everyone to jump high to avoid it. X tried to air-dash on him again, but the other hand hit him and sent him flying towards the opposite direction. The sword-holding hand ascended to the ceiling and jabbed the floor below it, right where Axl had been standing. He frantically dodged it and the pieces of the floor that went flying. While he was distracted, another energy globe hit him squarely on the back, driving him to the floor. The giant immediately went for the kill, slashing the sword towards the downed hunter. The giant blade was intercepted by a fierce green saber, as Zero attempted to block the hit. The sheer force of the hand drove him backwards, sparks igniting between his feet and the floor. While Axl recovered and scurried out of the way, X delivered another body slam on the distracted reploid, resulting in minor recoil.

“This is going on forever. We need a plan”, shouted Axl.

Zero dashed close to X and whispered something, then turned to Axl. “I have an idea. Keep him occupied for a while.”

“Keep him occupied? How am I supposed to do that?” he complained, complying nonetheless and firing some flash shots. While they dealt no noteworthy damage, they served in blinding Omega. X and Zero dashed to the other end of the room and the crimson bomber jumped on his friend’s back. X dashed through the air towards the giant, reaching top speed, then engaging the Nova strike on contact.

Zero extended his saber ahead, and it became longer and narrower, its surface shinning an electric white. The blade penetrated Omega’s visor and continued, burying itself right up the hilt and sending millions of volts inside Omega’s head and, through his neural network, all over his body.

As Omega lit up like a Christmas tree, the hands deactivated once again and his body fell to the ground. The three friends held their breaths, expecting a clean victory. The reality however was different. The giant stood up yet again, his wounds nowhere to be seen.

“This is one persistent bastard”, muttered Zero, searching around the room for anything that could assist them.

“I will be forced to use it, Zero”, responded X in a resigned tone.

Zero turned to regard his friend. “I know that you hate it and that you try to avoid it, but it is your choice. I doubt it will be enough though. How fast can you change back in full power?”

“Five minutes. It can’t be helped, the energy consumption is huge.”

“Hey, what is he talking about?”, asked Axl.

“His ultimate transformation.”

“What? How came I have never seen it?”

“He has never used it before, that’s why. It taxes his body and drains his mind, but we will have to use anything we have in this fight.”

Axl morphed into an aerial reploid and started buzzing around their enemy, helping Zero to distracted Omega and buy their partner some time. X’s body started to shine as he rose off the ground, then his form was enveloped by a blinding light as his body changed. His torso doubled in size and his legs merged to form a single spike. His armor became thicker and his helmet changed in shape and size. Wing-like appendages sprouted from his back and extended, becoming larger than his body and glowing iridescently. His hands detached, hovering in the same fashion as Omega’s and growing many times, sprouting armored claws in the process. Lastly, a great halo expanded above his head, cackling with raw energy.

Axl turned to regard his friend and was struck dumb. “Wow, this is...is this really X?”

Zero was not so surprised. “With the name ‘Seraph form’ that’s close to what I expected. He seems to pack quite a punch. Literally speaking, too.”

X levitated towards Omega and the battle of the titans started. Multiple rings of energy flew from X’s halo, connecting with Omega’s hands and confining them, restricting their movement. Omega rushed forward and headbutted his opponent, causing the rings to disappear as his concentration shattered. X retaliated by loading his wings with energy and using them as razors. Omega took the first hit, which left a gash on his armor that was promptly healed, then blocked the rest of the hits with his sword.

Axl was crestfallen. “All we can do now is watch and wish for the best.”

Before he could finish his words, a red blur passed next to him. “You are kidding, of course”, retaliated Zero, as he gained momentum.

Omega held the sword in both hands and tried to smash it on X’s head. The angel-like reploid caught the flat of the blade between his palms and stopped it. Taking advantage of the standstill, Zero leaped and climbed on X’s back.

“Zero, what are you doing? This is dangerous”, warned X.

Zero smirked. “You didn’t think you would have to battle alone, did you? Just hold him still.”
The crimson bomber jumped from X’s shoulder and dashed on the stilled blade, reaching Omega’s head. Briefly concentrating, he used the Twin Dream technique, spawning five energy clones around the giant’s head. Six charged identical blades pierced the larger reploid’s head from different directions.

Omega’s keen filled the chamber and he lost his balance, although the damage was rapidly healed. X tore the massive sword from his opponent’s hands, wielded it and stabbed it with all his might through Omega’s armor. Zero jumped down and delivered a flurry of rolling slashes to his overwhelmed opponent along with his five clones that mirrored his moves.

As Omega tried to regenerate once again, a huge charged shot hit him. Axl had joined the fray and had shaped his whole body into a large cannon. The others soon joined him, Zero dismissing his lookalikes and sending crescent waves of energy, X emitting laser shots from his hands and scanning Omega’s armor with a shearing beam from his eyes.

Weil was not so happy now. He barked an order and another entity appeared in the room. The Dark elf passed through Weil’s shield and headed above Omega, releasing glowing sprinkles and speeding up his recovery rate. At the same time, two baby elves, the ones that had failed to possess X and Zero, came out from hiding and danced around their mother, shrieking happily.

While X and Axl continued tearing at the downed albeit fast recovering body, Zero dashed on X, then launched himself in the air and blasted the dark elf away with his buster at point blank. The baby elves tried to hurt him while yelling, but he casually flicked them away. Instead of returning to Omega, he headed towards the forcefield. A single charged slash from his saber caused the shield generators to overheat and blow up, reducing the scientist’s protection to nothingness. A panicked Weil stepped backwards in the light of the crimson death. He fell on a control panel, frantically pressing buttons at random. Just before he was cleaved in half, the floor below him phased out and he passed through it. At the same time, a loud rumbling filled the castle. A voice boomed from a hidden source.

“The Arc will launch in two minutes. All systems nominal.”

The three heroes looked each other, then at the still shifting remains of Omega. X returned to his original form, leaning heavily on Axl, while Zero dashed to the dazed mother elf and temporary confined her into a forcefield cage. Then all of them rushed toward the exit as one. They free-fell at the disk trap room, then dashed out of the main spire. As the airlock gate was ready to be sealed, the three friends literally flew out. The immense shuttle rose quickly, becoming a speck on the blue sky soon afterwards.

Zero was angry. “Damn, they did get away in the end. If Weil is in this shuttle, he and Omega can use the time to recover, then start all over again. If he got away, we will be seeing him again soon enough even without Omega’s support.”

Axl started laughing. “At least we won’t be hearing from Omega any time soon.”

As the others turned to regard him questioningly, he continued. “While I was at it, I downloaded then erased the shuttle’s navigation map. It will take it decades to return to earth and even then, it will have to crash land.”

The general mirth was interrupted by another announcement, delivered in the same automated voice. “The shuttle has been launched successfully. The base will self-destruct in four minutes.”

“Damn, why does that always happen. Can’t we ever get out at our own pace?”, whined Axl, only half-serious.

They raced through the halls then used the exit Tone and Pulse had created to reach ground level. As they exited the fortress, a heat wave enveloped them, and they lost their senses as their feet lost contact with the ground.

After such a long day, oblivion felt almost good.

- - -

Revision notes: In addition to some errors, I also rewrote the battle scenes. After playing more X games I learned more moves I could add.