Mermaid Melody Pitchi Pitchi Pitch Fan Fiction ❯ Ride the Wild Surf ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

RIDE THE WILD SURF
a Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Fanfiction
by Adrimarie
 
CHAPTER 1
 
Lucia Nanami stared at the school clock, counting every single second for the final bell to sound off. There was nothing else that mattered to her at this moment except that tomorrow was the first day of summer vacation. Along with that fact there was another thing that became permanently implanted in her most inner thoughts. While the teacher continued to address certain safety rules for students during the upcoming summer vacation her eyes began to drift from the teacher to a certain boy sitting a few seats slightly behind from where she was to her right side. Just as her eyes continued to scan the visual radar immediately found its target.
 
One thing I love about living across the beach--- handsome, talented, and super-awesome surfer boys like you... Lucia shook her head quickly before her thoughts go wild like the clashing waves of the ocean not too far from their school. Instead she made up for the random thoughts with a smile on her face and turned her head forward towards their current homeroom teacher.
 
Just as she remained smiling she felt a tap on her right shoulder. Quickly she turned her head to find her tall, beautiful, and tomboyish friend Rina Touin smirking at her. On her hand was a small note in which Lucia picked it from her fingers. Lucia turned back around and unfolded the note from Rina. Immediately she read the written message:
 
You're acting all goofy again. Are you staring at a certain hot surfer boy sitting behind me? -H
 
Lucia immediately closed the note and turned her head around and found another friend of hers, the cute and posh popular girl named Hanon Houshou. It just so happened that the one Lucia's eyes targeted earlier sat behind her, completely concentrated towards the teacher. Right when Lucia found Hanon the perky popular girl winked at her.
 
Oh my God... am I really that obvious? Lucia sighed deeply and quickly wrote her response back on the same note. She wrote to Hanon that she was just looking around at random people to keep herself awake from the lengthy final lecture that the teacher was delivering at that moment. She also did not want Hanon to immediately open her big mouth and blurt everything out to to that particular boy sitting behind her. She folded the note and quickly passed it to Rina, who in turn asked a few classmates to pass it back to Hanon.
 
The lecture seemed as if it was going on repeat and Lucia could not take any more. She just had to burst herself out in the open and show her excitement that summer vacation finally arrived. She tightened her fist to display her impatience while at the same time continued to fight her drowsiness. Moments later Rina tapped her on the shoulder again with another note from Hanon. Lucia quickly reached her hand for the note and immediately unfolded:
 
This summer is THE summer, Lucia! This year is THE year! I can just feel it in my bones. You've been crushing on him for the longest time and you still haven't had the courage to come up to him and say a simple hello. What is wrong with you, girl? The feeling that I'm talking about here is that your beloved surfer boy may come back to school with a new girlfriend and if you don't do something about that then obviously that new girlfriend isn't gonna be you! -H
 
Hanon... Lucia's voice whispered in her mind as she lowered her head in embarrassment. How could you be so cruel to me? You know I'm just way out of his league and you know your so-called friends aren't even going to let me even near him. Why do you say such things to me, Hanon?
 
Just as Lucia was about to write her response she found her eyes targeting that particular boy again. She knew deep within that she was not a completely average person and that whenever she gets excited her conscience had the habit of singing a song particularly related to her brief moment. In fact, she can hear her conscience already singing while her eyes fixated towards the boy.
 
Lately Sis was getting mad 'cause I just dream all day
And my friends all say my mind's a thousand miles away
Ever since the day I saw your face there's only one thing I'd do
I can't stop dreaming about you
Baby, dreaming about you
 
Lucia quickly shook her head to eliminate the random tune and the lyrics playing within her. She had to find a way to stop her constant daydreaming or else she may get detention before they are off for the summer. What is wrong with you, Lucia? Concentrate... concentrate...
 
She lowered her head as if she was ready to fall in to a short nap. Just as she was about to she was immediately startled by a forceful voice from her left side that startled her to keep her eyes open. Just to make matters worse for Lucia she began to hum that tune from her head that distracted the teacher's lecture.
 
“Miss Nanami,” the teacher called for her right on spot. “Last time I was told summer vacation starts tomorrow?” Right then the entire class broke in to laughter which made the daydreaming girl sink herself down her desk.
 
My homeroom teacher says I don't hear a word in class
And if I don't wake up soon he says I might not pass
Every time I get you off my mind it's just for a minute or two
I can't stop dreaming about you
Baby, dreaming about you
 
 
The bell finally rang and the students jumped from their seats looking excited for the upcoming summer vacation. Lucia, on the other hand, remained on her seat, looking more embarrassed than ever. Lucky for her she did not get a long lecture from the teacher regarding daydreaming and almost sleeping in his class. She often thought at times that sweet memories will be made just by seeing that particular boy in the same homeroom class as her but at the same time it was also a curse. She was always well-versed with her studies with the exception of math but she felt that this year became worse than the previous years even when she was not assigned to sit next to him.
 
Hanon and Rina came to her with their bags packed and ready for the summer break. Rina was more concerned with Lucia's behavior today while Hanon continued to snicker at the dark blond girl's daffy daydreaming. Lucia could not find any excuses for her to drift her mind away and end up in her own world.
 
“Lucia, this is like the fifth time you've daydreamed this entire day.” Rina gave her concern as she flipped her shiny long dark hair behind her shoulders. “Are you okay?”
 
“Rina, isn't it obvious? She still has 'K.D.' problems like the last time,” Hanon interrupted with a soft chuckle on her voice. She then turned to Lucia and shook her head. “You're hopeless, Lucia. You'll never get by school if you keep on daydreaming like that. I mean daydreaming about 'K.D.' isn't exactly abnormal if you're a student in this particular homeroom class but I think the thought of him is completely taking over your body, girl.”
 
“I really am hopeless,” Lucia sighed deeply and lowered her eyes downward. “Why? I feel like I'm cursed. I feel like I meant to fail because he had to be in the same class. What is fate telling me?”
 
Hanon took the empty seat next to the desk where Lucia sat and crossed her legs. “I'm telling you, Lucia Nanami, if you don't make a move on Kaito Doumoto this summer I can guarantee you he'll have another girlfriend by the time we get back to school in a few months. Believe me, I know from experience.”
 
“Right,” Rina snickered and rested against the edge of her desk with her arms crossed. “You being a victim of Kaito Doumoto's one-week girlfriend game actually gave you experience, Hanon---”
 
“Oh shut up, Rina!” Hanon glared immediately at the tall tomboy girl standing next to her. “So what if Lucia ends up being a one-week girlfriend? I mean almost every girl here would want to at least reach that level. It actually boosts up their reputation throughout the entire school. I mean the girls in this entire school would just kill themselves just to reach to at least one-week girlfriend status and that's more than enough for them to say Yes! I was Kaito Doumoto's girl for one week! I mean, as for me I would seriously going to go for it again. I mean I got the charms, the looks, and regardless of the title I can see guys still staring at me.”
 
Lucia quickly stood up from her seat and shook her head. “No...”
 
“No?” Rina wondered, gazing towards Lucia. “What's wrong?”
 
“I don't want to be... a one-week girlfriend... I'm not going to be like everyone else here, Hanon.” Lucia directly responded to Hanon's advice. “I'd rather hide behind the rocks and watch him rip those wild waves with his surfboard from afar than be a one-week girlfriend. Even until now you still don't understand why... why Kaito Doumoto... means so much to me...”
 
Rina quickly looked around the classroom to be sure that no one was eavesdropping with their conversation. Then turned back to Lucia and sighed. “Lucia... don't tell me you think that Kaito is... well...”
 
Hanon raised an eyebrow in suspicion. “What are you talking about, Lucia? Is there something here I don't know?”
 
Lucia tightened her fist looking determined at her belief. “It just had to be him. I can feel it in my heart. It has to be him. If only I can just prove that it's him...”
 
The three girls helped Lucia pack her things and continued their conversation outside the school building. They sat at the bench underneath the trees not too far from the school entrance. Hanon felt rather ignored once Rina mentioned some statement she was not familiar with. Though she and Lucia were not friends for too long she still felt she had the right to know this piece of information Lucia told Rina about.
 
“Unless Lucia wants to tell you, Hanon, I'll be glad to summarize.” Rina volunteered to give a summary of what Lucia was talking about earlier in relation to that certain handsome surfer boy named Kaito Doumoto whom Lucia had been pining and infatuated with for the longest time.
 
“It's okay, Rina,” Lucia responded, “I just don't feel like talking right now. I have to shake off this embarrassment that happened earlier today. I can't believe I hummed some random song no one's going to hear ever...”
 
Rina giggled softly and smiled. “Alright then, Lucia. Okay Hanon, short version. When Lucia was little she was hanging out at the beach one night without telling her family about it and while she was just wondering around minding her own business she heard some kid singing some song none of us probably have heard of and Lucia got all in a trance with it. She swam--- yes, she swam--- all the way near the big boat or something just to listen to that kid sing! The kid apparently saw her and they talked for a bit giving props to their singing and then they sang together. Then a storm came and it struck the boat and the boy fell over. Lucia, being the master of the seas she is, swam all the way down to save the boy. They hid at some rocky spot somewhere at the beach to keep themselves dry until the storm ended. She tried to wake him up and when she couldn't wake him up she actually cried and gave him her friendship bracelet she made and she ended up sleeping next to him. Next morning when she woke up the boy was gone, but she never forgot how he looked like and how open he was with her that night. She vowed to look for him and ever since then she's been looking for him.”
 
Hanon turned her head towards Lucia with an eyebrow raised. “Okay... so, in other words, you think Kaito is this kid you rescued, right?”
 
“It has to be him, Hanon! I mean that friendship bracelet that I placed on his wrist was my very first bracelet that I made by hand! It's an authentic Lucia Nanami friendship bracelet, don't you get it? I only put that bracelet on his wrist so I'll be able to find him when he gets lost or something.” Lucia continued from where Rina left off.
 
“You really are a weirdo, Lucia!” Hanon giggled and shook her head. “Who the heck would swim out to the sea in the middle of a dark night just to listen to some kid singing on a boat? That's just crazy! And even on a storm? Are you some kind of a mermaid siren?”
 
“Hanon,” Rina interrupted briefly, “with what Lucia did that night I call that true love calling to her. Okay, so what if it was just one night and all they did was sing together some song that probably she and that kid knew. I call that destiny!”
 
“Still! If people find out about what you did, Lucia, I can guarantee you will be the most miserable girl to live on the face of this school. And now you're hallucinating that the kid you fell in love with back then is Kaito! I know Kaito Doumoto, Lucia. He's just way too cool to sing out of the blue like that, I mean no one's really heard him sing and he wouldn't sing even if you asked him to. Plus he wears tons of bracelets and other accessories so it's kinda hard to tell which one of those bracelets he's wearing is yours. For all you know he threw away that bracelet and moved on with his life!”
 
Lucia sighed deeply and lowered her head. “You're probably right, Hanon. I should just give up and move on---”
 
Hanon stopped her from completing her statement with her head shaking in refusal. “Lucia Nanami, you didn't just say those dreadful words of giving up, are you?” She placed her hands on her waist and stared directly towards the hapless girl. “As a former Rainbow Pop Girl and a prominent one-week ex-girlfriend of Kaito Doumoto I won't have that!”
 
“Oh God, here we go,” Rina sighed with her head shaking at the same time.
 
“Based on my experiences as one of his one-week girlfriends I finally realized what type of girl Kaito really likes. I was really pushy and annoying to him when I was dating him for a week which was why he dumped me afterwards, but after that point I finally figured out who his ideal girl is, Lucia! He wants someone nice... someone smart... and you know... someone who isn't pushy and respects him for who he is... someone who doesn't mind sharing different things which each other and learn from them. In other words, someone... oh I don't know.... low maintenance!”
 
Low maintenance girlfriend. Yeah right,” Rina snickered with her arms crossed. “You think Kaito would actually want a low maintenance girlfriend? Did you even realize that every single girl he's dated and flirted with are all pretty, popular, sexy, and frivolous? You know, like you, for example.”
 
“I am so going to kill you for that remark, Rina!” Hanon glared immediately towards the more serious girl. “Look, Lucia, all you have to do is be---”
 
Just as Hanon was about to continue they were interrupted by an excited young male voice calling for her name. “Hanon! Hey Hanon! There you are!”
 
“Ugh... great...” Hanon sighed and lowered her head while slowly turning her eyes towards the direction where the voice was coming from. At her sight a rather charming young boy about two years her junior dashed his way to her direction, waving at her.
 
“What do you want, Nagisa?”
 
The younger cool-looking Nagisa Shirai gave a wink towards Hanon along with his signature smile that many girls his age were familiar with. “Oh come on, Hanon, why you gotta be like that? I just want to say hi!”
 
“Oh please, give me a break,” Hanon rolled her eyes and continued. “I know that familiar wink--- all you surfer dudes always do that to girls! I know because those darn Doumoto Twins always do that! What do you want?”
 
Rina covered her mouth to refrain herself from chuckling while Lucia continued to watch the situation between Hanon and Nagisa with no reaction. “Okay, you got me. I'm just wondering if you have any plans for this summer, Hanon.”
 
“I have a part-time job at Pearl Waters, what do you think?” Hanon answered with a sigh. “I don't think I'll be free to have dates, Nagisa. Sorry.”
 
“Sure you do, Hanon,” Rina interrupted with a wink on her eye. “Pearl Waters has an open flex schedule for all part-timers. Besides, you can't exactly live your summer vacation without going out with a certain cute guy, hm?”
 
“You're not helping, Rina!” Hanon quickly turned to Rina, who was already smiling right at her.
 
“Oh that's okay,” Nagisa chuckled, still brimming with confidence. “See, I asked 'cuz the guys and I will be hanging out at the beach all summer long! The Doumoto Twins and the other dudes are pumped up for the upcoming Regional Surf Scenes Tournament in a few months so they're skipping all their vacation days to practice. Reason why I asked because the beach area close to where Pearl Waters has the wildest surf throughout this whole coastal stretch. And since you say that you'll be working all summer at Pearl Waters, that means I get to see you all summer too!”
 
Hanon became startled and gulped nervously, then sighed. “Oh... okay... um... good for you...”
 
“Nagisa! What the hell are you doing? Get your ass back down here! Let's go!” Another familiar male voice called out to their direction as all eyes gazed at the voice's direction. Hanon gasped with bliss and blushed tomato red once she spotted the one who called out for the young boy.
 
“Aaaah!” Hanon gasped and nudged Lucia on the side. “Look who's here!”
 
“Oh no...” Lucia quickly turned her head away so she did not have to look.
 
Nagisa waved at the group of boys who called for him and turned back to the girls. “Well, I guess I'll be going now. If you want to hang out with us or something we'll be at the beach across from Pearl Waters. Today's day one of the Rainbowside Surf Tribe official surf training, you know!”
 
“Really?” Hanon snickered and patted Nagisa on the shoulder. “Thanks for the tip!” Immediately she walked towards the direction where the group of boys were standing. Among in that group were none other than the popular Doumoto Twins, Gaito and Kaito, with Gaito keeping cool as always with his hands in his pockets while Kaito chatted with a few random pretty girls nearby. The twins' presence was the only reason why Hanon decided to approach them on their own.
 
“Hey! Wait up, Hanon!” Nagisa ran after her, leaving Lucia and Rina at the bench behind.
 
Rina witnessed Hanon making talks with the boys including the Doumoto Twins as she gave a slight nudge to Lucia's side.
 
“What...?” Lucia sighed and slowly turned her head towards her friend.
 
“Don't look now, Lucia, but the man of your dreams is with them!” Rina chuckled as Lucia quickly took a glance. Just then her eyes spotted tall, lean, perfectly-built surfer boy Kaito Doumoto along with a few popular girls whom she recognized as Hanon's former friends. At the same time she spotted Hanon chatting with the boys with the possibly of Kaito listening along while he was busy with his share of girls.
 
“What... what's Hanon doing?” Lucia nervously murmured her question while Rina shrugged her arms.
 
“You know Hanon. She still has hookups with the school's most popular kids even if she doesn't really hang out with them anymore.” Rina took a guess at the situation.
 
“I... I can't look, Rina!” Lucia quickly buried her face on to Rina's shoulder.
 
“Calm down, Lucia, I'm sure Hanon isn't talking to them just to embarrass you. She'll hear it from me if she does.”
 
Just as the girls waited for Hanon another young boy appeared right in front of them. The slightly tall, attractive, and pale white-blond boy stood in front of them with his arms crossed. “Lucia!”
 
Lucia lifted her head and spotted her younger brother, Hiroki “Hippo” Nanami, about the same age as Nagisa. She sat up and faced her serious brother looking straight at her. “Hey Hippo. Heading home?”
 
“Hi Hippo,” Rina greeted the younger brother. Hippo greeted his older sister's friend the same way and turned back to Lucia.
 
“I was looking all over for you, Lucia!” Hippo exclaimed with worry. “I thought we were supposed to meet at the fourth hall doorway and you weren't even there! I was gonna head home by myself too.”
 
Lucia patted the empty space next to her, inviting Hippo to sit down. Hippo sighed and took the empty seat. “Nicola's gonna kill us if we get home late. Remember that Taro's moving in today and Nicola and Aunt Taki was going to pick him up from the train station and that you and I are gonna have to open Pearl Waters while they're away!”
 
“I'm sorry, Hippo... I'm just... out of it today...” Lucia sighed and lowered her head. “I had a really bad day...”
 
Hippo gasped with a bit of sarcasm on his tone. “Oh no! Don't tell me--- you daydreamed again, did you?”
 
“Ugh...” Lucia lowered her head immediately, unable to face the truth from her brother. Rina snickered and nudged Lucia on the side.
 
“Give her a break, Hippo. It's summer! Summer is the official period of daydreams without getting busted, you know?” Rina made her statement.
 
Hippo gazed at the group across from them and shook his head. “Lucia, why do you keep daydreaming about those guys? See, I knew that Hanon girl was nothing but trouble. She got you all wrapped up like that. What the heck do you see in those twins anyway? And on top of that, Kaito Doumoto? Have you gone insane? What's so cool about those dudes anyway? I mean look at Nagisa over there... what a poser! He still thinks being a part of those Rainbowside Surf Tribe dudes would make him a lot cooler and his crush Hanon don't even hang out with them anymore. Please don't tell me you're going to turn to the dark side and join them, Lucia.”
 
“Hippo,” Lucia sighed deeply and spoke in a soft tone. “I don't care what you think about them. I think every person has good qualities in them no matter what. I think even Kaito has a good heart too. Of course, I could be wrong but I do have a heavy feeling that Kaito can be nice if he wants to be.”
 
“Really, Lucia? You haven't even met the guy yourself,” Hippo snickered while his eyes shifted back and forth. “Though I gotta admit I'm glad you're not making any dumb moves on him because you don't want to be popular by being the biggest moron in the entire school. I'd feel seriously ashamed if that happens.”
 
“Thanks for the support, Hippo,” Lucia answered with sarcasm in her tone and crossed her arms. “You really are a big help.”
 
Just as Hippo was about to answer they were quickly interrupted by Hanon's cheerful voice and her charming wave at them. “Lucia! Rina!” And afterwards a glance at the younger brother. “Hi Hippo! Come along too!”
 
“Come... along...?” Hippo raised an eyebrow of suspicion as both Lucia and Rina stood up from their seats. “What the heck does she mean by that?”
 
“Hurry up, you guys, let's go!” Hanon continued to call at them as the two girls gazed at Hippo, who refused to move.
 
“Hippo, come on, let's go,” Rina said with a kind tone and offered her hand to him. “We're just gonna walk home together anyway.”
 
“I'm not going with them! I don't want other kids to think that I'm a poser too like Nagisa is. I don't even wanna know what everyone else thinks of me if they see me hanging around with these guys... I'll be ruined the time I come back here next year!”
 
Rina abruptly grabbed Hippo by the arm, forcing him to stand up. “I have a shift tonight at Pearl Waters anyway so don't worry. I'll help you guys open once we get there. I mean we're just going to go home, right?”
 
Just as Hippo found his ground Hanon arrived with an impatient expression on his face. “What are you guys doing? The surf tribe is waiting! I've gone all the trouble to get them to let us walk home with them. At least you guys should show some respect or something!”
 
Rina shook her head at Hanon. “Uh, you didn't exactly tell us that you wanted to walk with them, Hanon, so don't be blaming us. Besides, we were already thinking of ditching you since you still love to hang out with those people.”
 
“Hey, just because I sacrificed my Rainbow Pop Girl reputation for you guys, doesn't mean I don't want to talk to them anymore. Now come on, even Kaito over there is waiting!” Quickly Hanon placed her arm around Lucia and dragged her to where the group is.
 
“Wait--- wait--- no!” Lucia struggled from being dragged along by her friend. “Hanon, please! I--- I'm not ready for this!”
 
“First come, first serve, Lucia! Here's your chance!” Hanon continued to drag the shy girl along with her while Rina and the reluctant Hippo followed from behind.
 
Hanon... I'm not ready... Lucia finally surrendered to Hanon's forceful dragging up until they reached the group of surfer boys whom the entire school dubbed them as the Rainbowside Surf Tribe. By the time they reached their point Lucia felt her entire body completely cold numb as if fate decided to trap her at that spot until she makes her move.
 
“Well then, boys!” Hanon smirked using her usual cute charm on them. “Thanks for letting us walk with you! Anyway, these are the girls I've been talking about!”
 
Lucia exclaimed in distress. “You... you told them... about... us?”
 
“Well then, now this has got to be interesting,” Rina returned the smirk with her arms crossed.
 
Why am I here? I shouldn't even be here... Hippo's conscience made the complaint for the troubled young man.
 
“I see.” From behind the boys stood the older Doumoto twin, Gaito, still remaining his cool and calm composure like every major moment was no big deal. “Looking forward to summer, ladies?”
 
Lucia and Rina quickly nodded with no words spoken. Hippo remained standing with his continuous suspicious expression. Hanon frowned in disappointment at her new two friends and sighed. “Lucia, Rina, come on, I know you two can better than that.” Immediately she turned her head back to Gaito with nervous giggles. “Um, forgive them, I mean they're not really used to talk to... um... people with famous names, know what I mean, Gaito?”
 
“I understand. We completely understand.” Gaito remained that same smile on his face and moved forward. “Welcome to the Rainbowside Surf Tribe of the good town of Nijibe, ladies. I'm Gaito Doumoto, manager of these awesome surfers here. These guys here are your future champions of the first annual Regional Surf Scenes Tournament--- that shrimp over there you know--- Nagisa Shirai.”
 
“Hey!” Nagisa exclaimed in disappointment. “Just because I'm a rookie doesn't mean I'm insignificant!”
 
“Heh,” Hippo smirked towards his fellow first year classmate. “Shrimp does suits you, Shirai.”
 
“Whatever, Nanami.” Nagisa raised an eyebrow towards Lucia's stern younger brother.
 
Gaito continued on with the introductions. “That smooth dude with the glasses standing tall over there is Masahiro Hamasaki. He's more of a greaser than a surfer but you know... he's one of those hobbyist types.”
 
The tall, dark-haired, biker-suited Masahiro Hamasaki gave a slight wave and advanced forward with his directly gazing towards the tall and composed Rina. “Hey... have I seen you somewhere before?”
 
Rina, the more levelheaded of the three friends, knew who this strange motorcycle teen was directing that question to. “We are at the same school after all.”
 
“It's just... it's just...” Masahiro walked closer until he was a few feet near where Rina was standing. “I guess must have mistook you for this month's Cover Girl of Posh Mode Magazine... the resemblance is just remarkable.”
 
“Right...” Rina responded with a slight snicker on her face. “That's like the hundredth time some dude has said that to me today. Nothing surprises me anymore.”
 
The reaction came from the rest of the surf tribe with laughter and a few side remarks regarding Masahiro's somewhat failed attempt at getting a particular girl's attention. Though Masahiro kept his same cool composure as before deep within he was a bit disappointed. Normally pick up lines like that usually work with Masahiro, however any type of smooth pick up lines like he just displayed earlier have no effect on a girl like Rina Touin.
 
“Okay, Masahiro, enough,” Gaito interrupted before he continued on using more failed pick-up lines on Rina. “Those two guys over there failing in picking up girls over there are Daichi and Kengo. I think you ladies know those guys already since they are in the same homeroom class as you. And of course, last but not least---” Just as Gaito was about to introduce his other half he and the rest of the surf tribe noticed their popular champion surfer Kaito Doumoto went missing. “Oh great, where is he?”
 
“He was just standing here with you guys!” Hanon sighed and continued to look around. “Where did he go?”
 
Gaito shook his head and turned to the other two boys moping for their girl-picking up failures. “Hey Daichi, Kengo! Where's my other half?”
 
Daichi, the taller and leaner boy heard Gaito's voice and turned his head. “You mean Kaito? He was just here a minute ago!”
 
“Jeez, you losers lost him! I can't believe he'd walk out like that while I'm introducing you guys to Hanon's friends here.” Gaito was about to head out himself when Hanon stopped him.
 
“Ugh, how can he be so rude!” Hanon exclaimed with disappointment in her eyes. “Never mind, Gaito, let's just go without him. Besides, it's my turn anyway.”
 
Gaito sighed and placed his hands back in his pockets. “Fine, fine. Go ahead.”
 
“Well then, without further ado, Surf Princes, I would like you to introduce my dear friends. This here is Rina Touin and here we have Lucia Nanami and her brother Hippo--- right, Hippo?”
 
Hippo gave a nod and answered: “Nice to meet you.”
 
“Nice to meet you.” Both Rina and Lucia greeted while the boys returned the greeting.
 
“Well then, since Kaito decided to ditch us like this, let's just go.” Hanon insisted on leaving the campus without the surf tribe's star surfer. For Hanon, this particular afternoon would have been Lucia's lucky day.
 
“Well, Kaito is an independent person after all.” Lucia made her statement quickly but with a slight tremble of her voice. “Maybe next time. We have to open Pearl Waters!”
 
“Pearl Waters, huh.” Gaito picked up the beach side restaurant's name from Lucia. “Oh that's right, I didn't realize your last name. Your family owns Pearl Waters.”
 
“Right.” Hippo nodded and quickly grabbed Lucia by the wrist. “Come on, Lucia, let's lead the way. I don't wanna waste time waiting for some dude who'd just ditch us during introductions like that.”
 
“Wait, Hippo---” Right at that moment Nagisa made his own remark towards the impatient younger Nanami.
 
“Jeez, you sure are overprotective, Nanami. It's not like none of us tribe surfers is gonna try and pick up your sister--- no offense to you, Lucia, of course--- but take it easy, man---”
 
“Back off, okay?” Hippo shot another attack at Nagisa and turned his head away. “Hurry up, Lucia, let's go!” Again, Hippo dragged his older sister, making sure that Lucia was apart from any one of the surf tribe boys, most especially the one who left them cold during their introductions.
 
Lucia sighed and surrendered to his younger brother's overprotective nature and let him lead the way. Hanon and Rina followed behind them while Gaito reminded Daichi and Kengo to catch up with them later after they find Kaito's whereabouts. They headed out from the school entrance and on their way to their coastal neighborhood, where the beach across from the Nanamis' family business, the local surfer hotspot restaurant and juice bar known as Pearl Waters. Recently opened just six months ago and this upcoming summer would be the establishment's first chance to be open for business it was predicted that Pearl Waters will be the newest, hottest hangout for all beach goers and avid surfers from near and far. Inherited from the Nanamis' late parents to Lucia and Hippo's twenty-one-year-old older sister Nicola Nanami, the Nanamis and their newly-hired staff which included both Rina and Hanon and a few of Nicola's old classmates, Pearl Waters was indeed ready to welcome many new faces as well as the regulars.
 
After a few moments they finally reached Kaigara Boulevard, the only street in town that overlooks the coast within. All of the seaside businesses, hangouts, and the coolest spots among the surfers and beach goers are located at Kaigara Boulevard. The Nanami Family Residence was not difficult to find since they only live two stories above Pearl Waters. Just by overlooking the beach from the vista rail boarding the boulevard Hippo noticed the overwhelming build up of the ocean's swell.
 
“This is... this is crazy!” Hippo exclaimed in shock. “I have never seen that swell that huge! I gotta say about twenty feet.”
 
Lucia looked confused with all the science of the ocean's waves coming from her brother. “Um, I don't know what you're saying but those waves are really huge... and dangerous...”
 
“I'm gonna run home and get my camera. I gotta take some shots!” Hippo waved and dashed his way to the Pearl Waters building, which was just a few feet away from where they were standing.
 
“Great. Getting all protective on me and he ditches me.” Lucia rolled her eyes at the situation but still continued to gaze out at the ocean and its sudden high swells building up almost every five seconds. With the swell breaking as high as twenty feet this was indeed good news for the surfers.
 
Hanon and Rina caught the view of the speeding swell and became entranced by its strength. “Holy--- look at those waves! I've never seen these waves so large in this beach ever!” Rina exclaimed happily.
 
Hanon giggled and turned her head towards the surfer boys behind them and waved. “SURF'S UP, DUDES! SURF'S UP!”
 
Just as the surf tribe arrived they stopped at the railing where Lucia, Hanon, and Rina were standing and found themselves hypnotized at the ocean swells. For the surfer boys they felt as if the God of the Seas called to them subconsciously and it was time for them to serve by riding what can possibly be the wildest surf this town has ever seen.
 
“DUDE! THOSE BREAKERS ARE REALLY CALLING OUT, MAN! THE BREAKERS ARE CALLING!” From the distance they can hear Kaito's two best friends, Daichi and Kengo, calling forth all their fellow surfers from nearby neighborhoods. At that moment more and more of local surfers, young and old, blast out from their shells along with their surfboards, ready to take on the sea.
 
Gaito was the last person to arrive and stopped at where the girls were standing. “We got a stampede of fangirls coming to us! Kaito had just arrived!” Right then he passed them by, dusting the entire group behind him.
 
Kaito?! Lucia felt her heart racing like there was no tomorrow when Masahiro quickly took Rina's hand while Nagisa did the same with Hanon.
 
“Rina, we can't be here. We'll get run over by those girls. We gotta go!”
 
“Wait!” Rina found herself getting dragged quickly by Masahiro along with a surfboard on his other arm as the two ran down the low hill to reach the sands.
 
“When Kaito's fan girls arrive, Hanon, there's no stopping them, so let's go!” Nagisa grinned while he took Hanon along with him, getting caught up with such an intense rush as the screaming fan girls calling for Kaito Doumoto's name.
 
As Hanon was being dragged she called for Lucia. “Lucia, don't just stand there, hurry!”
 
“Right!” Following Nagisa and Hanon from behind Lucia ran as fast as she can as she was advised by her crush's twin brother Gaito. As she ran she was unaware that Kaito's friends, Daichi and Kengo, arrived right next to her along with their surfboards on their hands.
 
“First time being in this wild rush, Nanami?” Daichi spoke a question to the seemingly naïve Lucia.
 
“Uh... uh yeah! I usually just hide at the rocks but---”
 
“Well you better step up, Missy, because the Kaito Doumoto Fan Club is the most dangerous stampede you'll ever face at this side of the town! Come on!” Kengo winked at Lucia as he and Daichi ran ahead of her, dusting her behind.
 
“Hey, not fair! Wait, you guys! Wait!” Lucia knew she had to run faster than she was right now. She had to pick up her speed so she did not have to get buried by the all-girl stampede tailing her from behind.
 
Still she focused on trying to catch up to the rest of the group when from out of the blue she felt someone taking her hand gently but at the same time she felt her speed picking up, dusting the rabid fan girls tailing behind her. As she gazed at the hand that took hers she looked up slowly and noticed that the other arm was also occupied with a distinctive white surfboard with fitting designs on it. Then she gazed slowly right at the face to see who just took her hand and leading her right to the beach.
 
“Slow poke! You're sharing the same fate with me with the stampede!” The very clear, clean, gentle, yet somewhat commanding voice of a particular male youth sang like music to Lucia's ears. A gleeful smile with hints of blushes appeared on her face in a matter of milliseconds as the entire scene blurred away with the exception of her, the surfer boy holding her hand, and the raging sea calling out for them to come forth.
 
Kaito... you're... you're holding... my hand... and I'm running... with you... Lucia found herself losing control of her imagination but still kept her eyes fixated towards the handsome champion surfer with her. Right then, another new tune and new words came to her mind and found herself murmuring those melodic words to herself.
 
Little surfer, little one
Make my heart come all undone
Do you love me
Do you, surfer boy …?
 
As the railing separating the side pavement of the boulevard was getting smaller Kaito turned his overly excited face towards Lucia as if he was giving her a signal that they were going to jump over the border and right at the sandy hills that lead down to the beach. Lucia was very familiar with the beach herself that she knew immediately what Kaito was aiming for. It was the quickest way and possibly the only way for them to escape the fan girls chasing him from behind. This very beach across from Pearl Waters Restaurant was Lucia Nanami's territory and she was ready, willing, and open to share her territory with this particular surfer boy next to her.
 
In the meantime down the beach Hanon and Rina caught the moment with Kaito leading Lucia with hands locked right at the beach, escaping the fan girl stampede as much as they can. To the two girls just gazing at Kaito and Lucia running together felt like a brand-new fairy tale was about to begin. Even if it was two junior high students in school uniform---with Kaito's shirt halfway open that is--- to those at the beach witnessing the two it felt as if another one of those true love urban legends spread all over town was becoming a reality. For all they know the names of Lucia Nanami and Kaito Doumoto will eventually become household names as the hottest young couple of the summer season, but right now this small moment still needed to be finished.
 
“That's my ideal couple... right there... in the making...” Hanon murmured to herself as she witnessed the two making a run of their lives while Rina remained grinning, giving a thumbs up to Lucia. Behind them the surfers finally removed their school uniforms, revealing wet suits underneath and ready to get themselves wet. They spotted their lead surfer and the clueless maiden hand in hand as some of them made whistles to get their attention.
 
“Yo Gaito! Looks like your other half has arrived!” Nagisa chuckled, pointing his eyes right at Kaito.
 
“About time too.” Gaito smirked, watching his twin, while shaking his head at the same time.
 
Just as the border fence was at the right size Kaito turned to Lucia once more, still with her hand on his, then turned his gaze towards the fence. Lucia knew what he was trying to say and gave a nod. Simultaneously, still with their hands together, they made a sharp turn to the pavement and right at the border gate. Because it was small enough and the land over it was shallow enough it was a perfect way for them to escape the stampede and make their way to the beach. With just a split second Lucia and Kaito lifted themselves and jumped over the border fence. Lucia felt like she was soaring up in Cloud Nine with her true love hand in hand with her. Heaven called for them, but unfortunately it only took half a second for them to hit the sandy ground--- on foot.
 
They continued to run even though they knew that the fan girls would not even dare jump over the fence like they did; not with their rather skimpy and fancy outfits anyway. Right when they reached the group Kaito immediately released Lucia's hand and ran immediately to the sea along with his fellow tribe surfers. Lucia stopped running and stayed where Hanon and Rina were left by Nagisa and Masahiro.
 
She concentrated her eyes towards Kaito as he rowed his board with him leaning flat forward, looking for a perfect wave to catch. Once Kaito succeeded Lucia called out to him, not to get his attention, but to pump him up with his ride.
 
“RIDE! RIDE! RIDE!” Lucia shouted towards Kaito, calling out to him and ride that wild surf.
 
Hanon and Rina caught what Lucia was doing and stood next to her, calling out the same way. “RIDE! RIDE! RIDE!”
 
Back at the balcony of Pearl Waters Restaurant, young Hippo was making himself busy by taking several shots of the ocean, its raging swell, and those surfers riding those killer waves. Though he had been taking ocean photography and surfing photography and selling them to widely popular magazines bit by bit as his side hobby he had never seen the beach within his family's territory break such huge swells as the one he was witnessing right now through his lens. He stood up and also called out to the surfers at the beach the same way Lucia, Hanon, and Rina had been calling.
 
“RIDE, DUDES, RIDE!” Hippo called out as loud as he can, which caught the attention of older sister Nicola Nanami. She came inside Hippo's room wondering what the fuss was about when so many people arrived at the beach across from their home.
 
“What is going on here, Hippo?” Nicola rushed to the balcony to witness this strange and unusual occurrence.
 
Hippo pointed his finger towards the raging waves ebbing to the shores almost every six seconds. “This, Nicola, is what is happening right now!”
 
Nicola found a pair of binoculars from Hippo's desk inside and gazed through it. She became startled at the massive size of the waves along with the enthusiastic local beach goers and the Kaito Doumoto fan girls occupying the beach, screaming wildly for their surfing idol Kaito riding his own wave. Her binoculars found Kaito doing his daredevil tricks from jumping off the wave and doing 360 spins on the air without getting himself wiped out.
 
Now I can see why so many girls around town are seriously falling for Kaito Doumoto... just look at his smooth moves! Nicola thought to herself as she continued to explore the scene at the beach. Not too far distant she caught her younger sister Lucia standing still at her own spot while cheering out as loud as she can. Looks like Lucia came out from her hiding place today...
 
Nicola knew right then. Even everyone else present at the beach already knew it. Most of all, Lucia, Hanon, Rina, and the Rainbowside Surf Tribe led by the Doumoto Twins knew it.
 
Summer has arrived.
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTES:
Welcome to my very first fanfic written for the nostalgic magical girl from the beach front series, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. I've gone through both the manga series and the anime series these past few weeks and it looks like all possible gap-filler ideas for a fanfic has already been covered by none other by the creators themselves, Pink Hanamori and Michiko Yokote (if you read vol. #7's side stories, you'll see what I mean by this). I did not want to repeat myself with possible plot ideas when it's already been covered in the manga itself so I decided to do an alternate world-type of story using the characters and simply write an original story with them in it. I fell in love with all of the characters that I just had to find some ways for me to include all of them in this fic.
 
There are a few notes that I would like to point out.
 
#1 - As you can see I'm aiming for an all-human cast here. That also includes Hippo's human form, only because he's cute and cool like that. Don't expect any mermaids (tentative!) or other strange stuff that deals with taking over the world. The original story has been told already.
 
#2 - I gave Hippo the first name Hiroki, with “Hippo” as his nickname. I made him as a hobbyist photographer specializing in ocean and surfing photography. I also made Lucia a tailor and designer of handwoven friendship bracelets, beads, and rings.
 
#3 - The Nanami Family, owners of the Pearl Waters Restaurant, consist of the following: Taki Nanami (aunt and resident fortune teller), Nicola Nanami (owner and manager - see my explanation in the Intro chapter as to why I'm spelling her name as “Nicola” instead of “Nikora”), Lucia Nanami, Hiroki “Hippo” Nanami (Nicola, Lucia, and Hippo are siblings), and later on Taro Mitsuki (Nicola's, Lucia's, and Hippo's cousin who just moved in to take on his upcoming assignment as a new teacher in Lucia's and Hippo's schools).
 
#4 - I know I mentioned this before but I will not be using any of the music that was used in the anime because they were already been used. I also think that music is also important in creating vivid scenery in a story which was why I opted on using surf rock/beach songs from the '60s (and possibly modern times although I haven't heard any popular ones today). We are talking about beach life here!
 
#5 - I made Hanon as the popular girl in this fanfic simply because her personality just has that. I also tried to have Rina keep her cool and calm personality but also as supportive as she can for Lucia and Hanon.
 
More to come, obviously!
 
RATED T for the the VERY mild language AND slight adult situations.
 
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch is © 2003 Pink Hanamori and Michiko Yokote. No copyright infringement intended.