Monster Rancher Fan Fiction ❯ The Searcher Chronicles ❯ Lord of Shadows: pt 3 - Evil and Innocence ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Lord of Shadows pt 3: Evil and Innocence

Disclaimer: I don't legally own Monster Rancher apart from the characters I create

* * * * * * *

"Damn, I feel so helpless" Genki slammed his fist into his hand "That guy has three of our friends and I don't know how to get to his lair"

He sat around a table in the dining room with Holly and Tobias, Minette and all the youngsters had gone to bed.

"Well, it's getting on, maybe an early night will help" Tobias said, getting up and leaving the room.

"WHAT" Genki cried.

"He's right, maybe we'll have thought of something in the morning" Holly said.

"Yeah, I guess" the youth sighed.

As they walked towards the attic bedroom.

"I wonder if by now, Hare would be thinking a plan" Genki said.

Holly looked a little sad at the thought of their lost friend, Genki could have kicked himself.

"I'm sorry" he slipped his hand into hers as they mounted the attic stairs.

* * * * *

"Huh, hello" Genki stared around him.

"Hello, boy" the Sorceress' voice seemed to echo out of nowhere.

"What do you want?"

"You wish to reach the land of the Shadow-Walker"

"Yes, I have to rescue my friends"

"Then know this, the medallions possess a greater power than everyone knows.

You can use yours to get to my brother's kingdom and rescue your friends if you so wish"

Genki jerked awake, slowly getting up out of bed, he stopped for a minute to stare at Blue's and Coal's empty beds, then he crept across the attic and entered the girls' sleeping area.

Genki crept up to Holly's bed and gently shook her shoulder, then covered her mouth with his hand as she jerked awake.

The youth put his finger to his lips, pointing at the sleeping Minette, Holly nodded in understanding.

"What?" she whispered.

"The Sorceress said the medallion is the key"

"And" Holly asked.

"And I'm going to the Shadow-Walker's lair, it's the only chance we've got. I want you to stay here, Holly, it's safer"

"But, Genki" she suddenly stared into his eyes and slowly nodded.

"Ok, but please be careful" the young woman pleaded.

"Why?"

"Genki, I, I love you"

He stared at her and their lips drew closer and closer, finally meeting in this gentle, but passionate kiss.

"It's time to go" he pulled away, put his hand on his medallion and disappeared in a flash of white light.

* * * * *

Genki stared, he was in the world he had seen in his dream.

"Hello" the youth called gently.

A blue furry streak flashed out of nowhere and knocked him to the ground, then Blue and Nancy were standing over him.

As Genki lay, staring up at his friends, the medallion started to glow, suddenly there was a huge white flash of light.

Blinking furiously to clear his vision, Genki looked round, Blue and Nancy both lay a few feet from him, it looked like they were both asleep, their chest gently rising and falling.

The youth pulled them both closer and grasped the medallion, concentrated on getting back, then the three figures were swallowed up by a white light.

* * * * *

"You enjoying the picnic" Holly smiled at the youngsters, trying not to worry.

It was morning and Genki still wasn't back, the picnic had been Tobias's idea, she knew he was trying to help.

"Yeah" they chorused.

"Hoarder, go get some more ham" she said, smiling.

As soon as the Hound Dragon had gone.

"Having fun"

Holly looked up, the Shadow-Walker stood under a tree, watching them.

"Gabrielle, watch Crag" Holly picked him up, gently pushing the baby Rocky Fur into the young Angel's arms and then stepped forwards.

Suddenly Striker, Rex, Ebony and Daina moved in front of her.

"We'll protect you, Miss Holly"

"No, wait"

"Charge"

The Shadow-Walker grabbed Daina's leg as she swooped down and threw her into Rex, they went flying into a tree and both slumped to the ground.

Forming his fingers into claws, he quickly spun round and slashed Ebony, who was sneaking up on him across the face.

Ebony just slumped to the ground, fingering the deep gashes on her face in total shock.

Spinning back around, the Shadow-Walker grabbed Striker by the throat.

"Stop it, they're just children"

"I know" he smiled, tightening his grip.

Suddenly Holly dashed the pitcher of lemonade in his face.

"Hmm, a fiery one, how about a little reunion between friends" the Shadow-Walker said as he released his grip on Striker, who collapsed in a heap, then stuck Holly to the ground.

"Coal" Holly whispered, seeing the black-furred figure emerge from behind him.

Suddenly she rolled away as the Evil Hare's sword hit the ground where she had been lying.

Grabbing a tray from the picnic spread, Holly just lay on her back, holding it up in front of her face as Coal took another swing at her.

"Stop it, Coal, please, it's me" she pleaded.

Then as he stared down at the girl, the black-furred hare's scarlet eyes seemed to soften and he started breathing heavily.

"You can beat him" Holly called encouragement.

"Yaah" Coal suddenly cried, threads of spittle flying from his mouth, then he spun round and prepared to throw his sword straight at the Shadow-Walker.

"Now, now, none of that" the shadowy figure just raised a finger and pointed it at the Evil Hare.

Coal froze, his sword still raised and his arm shaking, then he looked back at Holly.

"You may have broken free for a few seconds, but never ever threaten me while under my control" the Shadow-Walker hissed venomously, making a jabbing movement towards his own stomach.

Coal's eyes widened and Holly screamed as time seemed to slow down, then the Evil Hare slowly fell back into the grass.

With tears running down her face, she quickly scrabbled over to him, Coal lay, gasping on the ground, his own sword sticking out of his stomach and his paws resting on its hilt as if the Evil Hare was weakly trying to pull it out.

Holly gasped and her hand flew up to her mouth at the sight of the crimson stain slowly spreading across Coal's tunic, then her gaze was drawn to the hilt, he still had his hands round it.

"Here, let me" she whispered, gently removing the black fingers from the weapon's handle.

Closing her eyes, she pulled the blood-covered blade from his stomach and threw it away as hard as she could.

He smiled faintly up at Holly as a trickle of blood ran down his cheek, slowly cutting through his black fur like a thin red river and then Coal reached for her hand as if it would give him some small comfort.

Getting into a crouching position, Holly gently pulled the Evil Hare's head up onto her lap, slipped her slender hand into his outstretched one and started stroking the gray fur on top of his head.

Then Coal's scarlet eyes closed for the last time and his grip on Holly's hand relaxed, on an impulse, she leant and gently kissed him on the forehead as he disappeared in a white glow.

A minute later, the girl's body started to shake with sobs as she stared at the vine-covered disc that stood where one of her friends had laid dying.

The Shadow-Walker smiled, then turning, opened a portal back to his realm.

"Until we meet again" he whispered and then disappeared through it, leaving the young woman alone with her grief.

"Holly" a hand suddenly rested on her shoulder.

She spun round, Genki stood behind her, beyond him, she could see Nancy and Blue lying face-down in the grass.

"Who is?" the youth started to ask, staring at the disc.

She turned tear-filled eyes up to him.

"Coal" he realized.

Together, the two young humans knelt in front of the disc, mourning.

* * * * *

One day later.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Tobias asked.

"Yeah, I think Holly needs some time alone after.....yesterday" Genki replied "And you will look after them" the youth added.

Blue and Nancy had still not woken up and Minette had said she was staying with them.

"Of course" was the reply.

A little way off, Holly smiled sadly and hugged the stone circle closer to her chest with one arm.

"Holly" Minette suddenly walked up to her.

The young pixie pressed something into her hand.

"Here, it is his, after all"

Holly stared down at the white medallion in her hand.

"But what if the Shadow-Walker returns"

"I'll take my chances" Minette said bravely.

Holly wrapped her fingers around the pendant for a minute.

"Here, please hold this" she carefully handed the disc to the young pixie, then undid her shoulder bag and slipped Coal's medallion in.

As soon as she had put it away, Holly gently took the disc back.

"Here" Tobias suddenly pushed something into Genki's hands.

Looking down, the youth saw Coal's sword, Tobias had got it cleaned up and brought a sheath and a proper belt for it.

Genki smiled, took it and fastened it round his waist.

Then Genki and Holly turned and headed out the gate as Tobias and Minette watched them leave.

"Will they be back?"

Tobias put one arm around the young pixie's shoulders.

"I don't know" he replied, watching the two young humans disappear among the crowd.