Nana Fan Fiction ❯ Regrets ❯ Part VII ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: Regrets
Author: hostilecrayon
Fandom: NANA
Pairing: Nobuo/Hachi
Rating: PG
Warnings: Angst, Spoilers for up to the end of the anime/manga Chapter 84.
Disclaimer: Nana is property of Ai Yazawa, Cookie and Viz Media.
Word Count: 954
Notes: More ANGST. What can I say? It's what I do best.
 
 
Part VII
 
Hey Nana, I think I understand how you felt always relying on everyone around you. No matter how much I try to be independent, I end up leaning on my friends.
 
I don't know if I'll ever be able to stand on my own two feet, without someone there to let me rest when I get tired.
 
---
 
“…a severe lack of nutrition with a combination of an excess of caffeine without enough sleep is what it boils down to. The co-worker that brought her here said that she had been taking energy pills and drinking a lot of coffee without resting. She said she had been working for forty-eight hours straight when she passed out.”
 
“Forty-eight hours?” The familiar voice sounded surprised, but through my sleep fueled haze, I couldn't place the voice to a name.
 
“Yes, I was concerned when I heard that, as well. In any case, there won't be any long term effects, but I'd advise her to take some time off of work to rest. She'll need to eat properly as well as take the vitamins I prescribed. No energy pills or coffee, either.” I could hear the disapproving tone in this unfamiliar voice as I became more conscious.
 
“Of course,” said the second voice, and thinking about it, I realized that it was Yasu. “You can rest assured she will be taken good care of.”
 
“Good. My main concern is why she would do this to herself. I've also recommended a good psychiatrist that she can see if she is having trouble.”
 
More awake now, I chose to keep my eyes closed and listen rather than alert anyone.
 
“Thank you for taking such good care of her, Doctor. I'll handle the rest.”
 
I could hear the doctor leave and I tried to continue feigning sleep, but Yasu said, “You can open your eyes now, Hachi.”
 
I did, my face flushing. “How did you know?”
 
“Your breathing changed a couple of minutes ago.” I looked at him, surprised to see a soft smile on his face. “You really don't listen to advice, do you?”
 
He was referring, of course, to his words at my apartment a while back. I felt too foolish to reply, so I changed the subject. “Where's Shin? He must have been the one the hospital called. He's my emergency contact.” When Takumi had left for London and I moved out, I decided to change my contact information to someone who was nearby, and I'd chosen Shin without much thought. While Yasu was a friend, we weren't very close, and Nobuo… well, Shin was the best choice.
 
“Since Takumi is still technically your husband, they called him, too. Shin and Nobuo are outside… talking to him.” Yasu's tone was amused and I groaned. I wondered then just what I'd slept through.
 
Then it dawned on me. “Nobuo's out there?”
 
“Of course, where else would he be?” I tried to get up, almost pulling the IV out of my arm, but Yasu put a firm hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down. “You'll hurt yourself. If you want to talk to him, I'll go get him.”
 
“No, it's just-“ But Yasu was already outside and I was left to think about how exactly the meeting between Nobuo and Takumi went. They never got to the point where they were quite cordial, and with Shin there to further that unfriendliness, it very well could have been quite the sight. It reminded me of when I found out that Shin had poured his drink on Takumi, and it made me smile at the thought of it. Too bad I couldn't have seen it.
 
“Mom!” Shin burst inside, coming over to hug me gingerly. “You shouldn't make your children worry. When I got the phone call, my heart dropped out of my chest.”
 
“I'm sorry,” I said, my eyes watering.
 
Shin pulled back then, his expression sad. “Why didn't you call me? Takumi said he picked up Satsuki weeks ago.”
 
The tears started to fall, and I balled my hands into fists in the sheets. “I'm supposed to be strong! I have to stop relying on people! I keep telling myself that, but…” I feel so alone.
 
“Still causing trouble, I see.” Junko walked in with Kyosuke close behind. An unlit cigarette hung from his mouth.
 
“You should be more careful, Nana.” He took a seat in the corner, stretching out like a cat.
 
“Junko, how did you know?”
 
She sat at the end of the bed, sighing. “Yasu called us.”
 
“I thought you were busy with work?”
 
Junko's eyes narrowed playfully. “I was until I found out you were in the hospital.”
 
My blush seemed to be permanently attached to my face, and the tears wouldn't stop coming. Yasu came back in, resuming his seat from earlier, and Shin leaned back against the wall next to me.
 
Yasu was quiet, staring at the wall. I wanted to ask where Nobuo was, but I didn't think I had the right.
 
Everyone stayed until visiting hours were over, but Nobuo never showed. They wanted me to stay over one night for observation, and Yasu told me that they'd be back in the morning to have me released.
 
As upset as I was that Nobuo didn't even come to see me while I was awake, I was still extremely exhausted, and I'd been given sleeping medication , so I fell asleep shortly after everyone was gone.
 
When I woke up, I was alone, but there was a vase with bright red roses sitting on the table beside me.
 
There was no card.
 
---
 
Hey Nana, do you think it's alright to hope for things I have no right to have?