Naruto Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry's Inheritance ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them.
 
Chapter 4
 
Itachi stared at the empty space for a while, thinking. Whatever the younger male had done it was no transportation jutsu that he knew of, in fact he'd felt no change in the others chakra at all. So magic was not just another way of describing chakra. But real magic? His hand went back to the mark, for the first time in years it was completely dormant, leaving him free to think and feel for himself. Would he ever be accepted back home? With Potter's help maybe it was possible, he knew how much the Council craved the Sharingan, and even now they wanted Sasuke back despite what he had down to fellow Konoha shinobi. But could he really trust the teenager? He must want something in payment for what he had done. No one ever did anything that big for free.
 
-------------------------
Harry stumbled as he landed in the cave, falling to his knees as blinding pain ripped through his side. He tensed as hands caught him, readying a bout of wandless magic only to release it as he recognised the presence behind him. He gratefully let Itachi take his weight as the taller teen lifted him and then placed him on the bed.
 
#Where are you injured?# He blinked as he struggled to mentally translate the question, staring up at Itachi.
#Where?#
 
#Left side, cutting curse.# Harry finally managed to answer and he felt Itachi cutting his clothing away from the wound before he passed out from pain and blood loss.
 
Itachi stared down at the unconscious teen as he cut the bloodied cloth away. He frowned as the wound was revealed. The cut was ragged and fairly deep, still bleeding freely but he couldn't figure out what weapon had caused it. Though Potter had said a...cutting curse? So maybe there was no weapon. Looking around he quickly gathered everything that he could use to tend the wound and set to work. Luckily he had copied a few medical jutsu though he was wary about using them since his reserves were pretty low. He studied the younger male as he worked. He was definitely no shinobi though he had his fair share of scars. The most distinctive was the one just above his eyes though the one that looked like it came from a giant snake and went straight through his arm came in a close second.
 
Itachi washed the wound carefully, trying to see it clearly but was eventually forced to use a jutsu to try and slow the blood flow. He relaxed a bit when it worked and set about finishing cleaning the wound before trying to close it, after all it wouldn't do any good for Potter to die of an infection caused by debris left in the injury. Once he'd managed to improvise stitches he bandaged the area tightly and settled in to wait for the other to wake. He had the feeling only one person knew where he was and it would be a very bad thing if he died since Itachi had yet to find any way out of the cave.
 
---------------------------
Harry groaned and slowly opened his eyes to find a blurry Itachi leaning over him. He blinked to clear his eyesight and accepted the offered water.
 
“What happened?” He asked only for Itachi to stare in confusion.
#Sorry, forgot. What happened?”#
 
#You appeared and then passed out. You lost a lot of blood but I managed to close the wound. You've ha d a fever for the last day, at least according to your watch.# Harry nodded to show he understood the explanation.
 
#Thanks. Suppose you want to know what's going on?# It was Itachi's turn to nod. Harry pushed himself up on the pillows and sighed.
 
#You landed in the middle of a civil war I guess you could call it. Two sides with very different ideals and I'm pretty much seen as the leader of one despite my man protests. This is going to take a while.# Harry groaned, running a hand through his hair but then launched into an explanation of the wizarding world and its prejudices that had led to an all out war. Itachi listened carefully, occasionally asking questions to clarify things.
 
#So either you kill him or he kills you. And you obviously cannot help my brother until your war is finished. Therefore I will help you win your war.# Harry stared at him in shock and Itachi found himself smothering a chuckle, something he hadn't done in years. Obviously he had not expected the offer but what else was he meant to do to pay off his debt and ensure help for Sasuke? Besides the boy obviously needed some competent help or he'd end up dead soon.
 
---------------------------------
Itachi practised the lessons Harry had left behind carefully. They'd agreed that until he could speak at least some English there was no point in his leaving the cave so Harry had gone out and gotten him the necessary books and even some recordings of the language. Harry helped when he could but the war was escalating and he was obviously exhausted most of the time. After finding out Harry had access to a sword Itachi had begun coaching him in its proper use. While his methods had worked against the basilisk they wouldn't against a smaller opponent and if it hadn't been for the phoenix it would have been a suicidal victory anyway. He'd also watched Harry practicing his magic and had to admit the way it could be used for so many things was amazing. Though Harry had agreed with him about that making its users lazy. So he'd given Harry a very comprehensive workout routine to keep him fit.
 
Itachi could tell that the war was taking a large toll on Harry, not just physically but emotionally. He didn't have a shinobi's training in how to deal with death, especially in large numbers and he could see that Harry blamed himself for many of those deaths. No matter what he said about it and he had the feeling Harry's friends outside had also tried to talk about it. Death was a part of war, it was a fact, a fact Harry seemed unable to accept. He didn't like the way Harry beat himself up over things he couldn't change but it was part of what made him Harry and Itachi was coming to like that person. Harry had heard everything he had done while under the influence of the seal and yet he didn't blame Itachi for any of it. It was...nice to have someone care about him and not just his family name. Maybe Harry would stay in Konoha after saving Sasuke? He could feel that Harry was slowly pulling away from those on the outside and spending more and more time with him in the cave. Not that he was going to complain about that.
 
-------------------------------------------
“What do you think?” Harry asked nervously and Itachi finally turned to look at him.
 
“It is beautiful.” Itachi answered, turning his gaze back to the castle and its surroundings. He couldn't help squinting slightly in the bright sunlight, a hazard of staying underground so long no matter how well lit it was.
 
“Hogwarts was the first place I ever called home. Come on, Madam Pomphrey wants to see you. At least this time you can answer when she asks about your health.”
 
--------------------------------
Itachi held Harry close as the teen sobbed into his chest. The Golden Trio was now down to one and it was tearing Harry apart. Itachi had only been a second too late pushing Ron away but a second was all it took for the Killing Curse. His Sharingan activated automatically as he tried to push his anger aside. Sure Ron and he hadn't gotten along but that did not mean he wanted the boy dead. He had been Harry's first friend, his best friend despite their arguments and now he was dead at the hands of Voldemort himself. Did the snake like man really need to give Harry anymore reasons to kill him? At least the final Horcrux was gone leaving Voldemort mortal. Now all he had to do was hope Harry could kill the madman while keeping himself alive. In one piece wasn't as necessary, it was amazing what a good medi-witch or wizard could do, though he would prefer him not to lose any limbs. Itachi also knew that if it came down to it he would give his life to save Harry's.
 
He'd left everything Harry could possibly need to know about the Hidden Villages, Orochimaru, Akatsuki and his brother in an easy to find place just in case he did die in the coming battles. Harry had promised to help Sasuke all those months ago and there was one thing he'd learnt very fast about Harry, he always kept his word. Bellatrix hadn't been as happy to learn that. Then again it had been the last thing she had learnt. As far as Itachi was concerned she had more than earnt her death and he had been surprised when timid Neville had agreed, until he heard what she had done to the boy's parents.
 
Itachi's grip changed as Harry started screaming and clutching at his scar. He grabbed Harry's hands to keep him from clawing at his eyes as the teen was forced to watch whatever `entertainment' Voldemort had come up with for the night. Not even occulmency could block the visions though it did stop Riddle from gaining full access to his mind. Itachi held him down as Harry thrashed against him, nearly dislodging him a few times, showing that his training was working. He gentled his hold as Harry began to come out of the vision, talking to him softly to give him something to focus on. Dark green eyes finally focused on him and he relaxed his hold completely.
 
Dark eyes widened in shock as soft lips touched his for a brief second.
 
TBC...