Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ Operation Fail, Part II ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Operation Fail, Part II
 
“You agreed to what?!?” Naruto exclaimed, his mouth falling open in shock.
 
“I agreed,” Kagome stated with a slight roll of her eyes, “to help Sasuke with his concentration.”
 
“But, but,” Naruto gasped, “this is Uchiha Sasuke we're talking about! The same guy that burned my arm! Look at it, it still hurts!”
 
“He didn't mean to hit you, Naruto,” she scowled. “I don't know how many times I have to tell you that, but he told me himself. And I believe him.”
 
Naruto flung his good arm into the air, nearly tripping over his feet—a hard feat, considering he was sitting down. “W-what!” he yelled. “You believe him! How could you betray me like this, Kagome?!”
 
“Oh, stop being such a drama queen,” she snorted. “Your arm is healing and it's not that big of a deal that I plan on helping him.”
 
“Yes!” Naruto disagreed with her quickly. “Yes, it is! I already told you that I had a bad feeling about him lately, Kagome! And clearly this is it! He's going to try and break us up, I just know it, and I don't want to lose you! You're my best friend! How could you let him manipulate you like thi—”
 
She quickly removed her hand from his mouth once he shut up, just in case he tried to lick her, again. Then, seeing those enormous puppy dog eyes he was giving her, she huffed. “Look, I'm just going to help him. I'm not going to suddenly decide that I don't want to be your friend anymore.”
 
“But, you'll start hanging out with other Uchiha members!” Naruto cried. “It starts with one, but then the rest of them will realize how good you are and want to train with you, too! And then, oh then, you'll be spending so much time with them that you'll start to like them! And, and,” Naruto hiccupped in fear, “then you'll forget about little Uzumaki Naruto!”
 
“Naruto,” she said softly. “I'm not going to forget about you. I don't know how anyone could.”
 
“This is the Uchiha clan, though,” he whimpered. “The great and terrifying clan with the Sharingan!”
 
“Yeah, and I'll admit that that's pretty cool—the red eyes and all—but I hate people that try to be their friends just because they have the Sharingan,” Kagome continued.
 
“That's not what I meant,” he snapped. “They'll make you forget! They'll decide that they want to keep to you for themselves! They'll notice how great you are and decide that you must be one of them, so they'll take you in and—”
 
“I'm not going to leave my family, either,” she growled. Naruto was taking the entire thing way too far. She was not going to forget about him, join the Uchiha clan, or do some other crazy thing just because she helped Sasuke once with his concentration.
 
“Fugaku will make you!”
 
No, he won't,” she growled heatedly.
 
Yes,” Naruto nodded a couple times, “he will! He'll make a deal with Higurashi-san and she'll give you up once he tells her that you'll be well cared for, trained to the fullest, and one day marry someone with a high rank!”
 
“My mother won't give me up!” she shouted. “I don't know where you got that damn idea, but you can take that back!”
 
“Kagome?” Naruto asked, suddenly quiet.
 
“You've spent enough time around my mother to know that she would never think about giving Souta or I away, no matter what someone else said she'd get in return!” Kagome continued angrily. “So you can take that back and just shut up!
 
Naruto's head whirled, as Kagome huffed. Had Higurashi-san almost given one of them away? It would make sense, from the way Kagome suddenly snapped at him.
 
A moment went by, before Kagome deflated. She smiled a little, saying, “I'm sorry I yelled at you, Naruto.”
 
“Kagome, did—?” He could not bring himself to ask.
 
“Yeah,” she smiled bitterly. “My mother thought about giving up Souta when he was born, because that was when my father was killed in action. She wasn't sure if she could take care of him, with how bad our money troubles had become, but my grandfather changed her mind. Went on and on about how that was disgraceful and no Higurashi member should ever give up one of their own because they thought they might not be able to take care of them correctly. But, that's in the past and I shouldn't have yelled at you because of it.”
 
“Oh,” Naruto said quietly. “I didn't know that. I'm sorry.”
 
“Its ok, Naruto!” she smiled. “Its not your fault.”
 
He blinked at her, trying to find something else to say.
 
“But,” she sighed, “despite that, I am going to help Sasuke. I agreed and you can't change my mind.”
 
Naruto, surprisingly, did not argue again.
 
“What?” she asked. “You're not going to tell me how he could suddenly corrupt my mind? Break me? Throw me in the river for disrespecting him unknowingly? Drown me? Set me on fire?”
 
“Nah,” he grinned. “I figured you can find out for yourself when it happens.”
 
“Well, it's not gonna!” she chuckled.
 
“Put your money where your mouth is,” he replied humorously. He was really glad they were getting away from the subject of her past. There were probably a number of different things from that time that could set her off, and he was at a loss on how to react when she suddenly snapped at him so harshly.
 
“Alright,” she grinned back. “One thousand yen says that I'll come back in one piece.”
 
“Deal!” Naruto agreed. He stuck his hand out for her to shake, and was a little surprised when she did not take the outstretched appendage. “What's the matter? Scared?”
 
“No, I'm just surprised you didn't spit in it,” she replied.
 
Pulling his hand back, he stared at her oddly, asking, “Do you want me to?”
 
“No.” She shook her head. “The last time you did that it was all over my hand, and let me tell you, it's disgusting. I'd rather not have your salvia covering the palm of my hand, ever.”
 
“Then why'd you bring it up?” he growled. His eyebrow twitched just slightly.
 
Shrugging, she grinned secretively. Then, she said, “To make you nervous. Is it working?”
 
“Just shake my hand already!” he yelled.
 
“Oh, all right,” she giggled, grabbing his hand and giving it a firm shake. “There! Are you happy now?”
 
“Yup,” he grinned back. “Because now there's no way I can lose! That thousand yen is mine!”
 
“Nuh uh!” she hissed lightly. “It is so mine!”
 
He shook his head, as his first clenched. “You'll see. Your little date—”
 
“It's not a date,” she snarled. How many times! How many times did she have to explain to Uzumaki Naruto that she had never looked at Uchiha Sasuke the way his fan club did?! Because if there were many more, she would strangle him!
 
“—will go down the drain real quick, and then you'll be whining about how the mean Uchiha hurt your feelings.” For show, he brought his fists to his eyes and pretended to cry lightly. “Please, Naruto-kun, please! Don't make me pay you that thousand yen! Please! I was wrong!”
 
Snorting, she said, “Just a minute ago you were going on and on about how they would suck me into their clan. Whatever happened to that?”
 
“Oh, I realized that there's no possible way that Fugaku would let someone like you into the Uchiha clan,” he replied, grinning madly. However, the fire that sprang up in his friend's eyes made him reconsider what he just said, while his hand moved to his holster.
 
“Are you implying something, Nar-u-to?” she growled.
 
Letting out a small sound of panic, the boy suddenly yelled, “Run!
 
As the smoke bomb went off in her face, Kagome shrieked, “Get back here, you traitor!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
The Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club had banned together for a single purpose. Make sure that he got home safely! And made sure that no one outside the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club managed to talk to him, or touch him, or glance in his direction. Because really, their precious Sasuke did not need some low-class shinobi, or especially a civilian, trying such things. So, they were more than willing to help!
 
“Look at him, he's so dreamy!” a girl squealed.
 
“Yeah,” another girl agreed. “But, it is really too bad that he'll only be in your dreams.”
 
The girl growled, her near silver colored eyes narrowing. “Oh? And you really think you have a chance if I don't, Asuka?” she snapped.
 
“Now, Mayu,” Asuka huffed, “why would I ever think of such a thing?”
 
“Because you're an ungrateful bitch that does not deserve Sasuke-kun!” Mayu growled back. She really hated Asuka, even if the other girl was a faithful Uchiha follower.
 
“Girls! Girls!” a more levelheaded girl giggled. “We're not here to argue over which of us is going to get Sasuke-kun! We're here so that one of us will get Sasuke-kun!”
 
“Shut up, Reina,” they both hissed.
 
“Wow,” a mocking voice cut through their flock, “fighting amongst yourselves? How do you Uchiha following freaks ever expect to obtain your precious Sasuke-kun if you're constantly fighting with each other?”
 
“Ugh, why don't you go back to your precious Hyuuga, Mizuki?” Mayu snarled. She hated Asuka, but she hated Mizuki even more. Both of them could rot in a garbage bin somewhere for all she cared.
 
“Yeah,” Asuka added. She also hated Mizuki more than she hated Mayu. “Why don't you run along and find your Neji-sama? I'm sure he's waiting for you somewhere.” She stopped, laughing, “Oh, wait, no he's not! He's probably waiting for Higurashi Kagome from what I hear!”
 
Mayu grinned, stating, “That's what I hear, too.”
 
Mizuki huffed, flipping her hair over her shoulder. “Neji-sama might have a small fascination with Higurashi, but sooner or later he will realize that that girl does not have what he needs!” she replied. “Nor does she want him.”
 
“Oh?” Mayu snorted. “And how do you know that?”
 
“Because she's over there,” Mizuki grinned evilly, “speaking with your Sasuke-kun.”
 
What!?!” a number of girls roared. They all turned nearly at the same time, catching sight of the black haired Higurashi as she spoke with their Uchiha Sasuke as if she had the right to! A large number of outraged cries filled the air, none of them believing that Higurashi Kagome would ever have the audacity to speak with Sasuke outside of the Academy! Especially not when she had that Hyuuga dogging at her heels!
 
The worse part: Sasuke spoke back!!
 
Why!?! Their minds could not wrap around the reason as to why Sasuke would even want to talk with that filthy Higurashi. But, the desperation that they felt quickly turned to anger when the girl refused to just walk away, despite the heated glares that were boring into her body.
 
“That little witch!” Asuka hissed. “I'll pull all that pretty black hair out of her head!”
 
Sasuke-kun!” Mayu cried out, trying to catch his attention. Unfortunately, they were just too far away. Mayu's mind supplied the information quickly, when the Uchiha she loved did not turn to even acknowledge her existence.
 
“Oh, look,” Mizuki giggled like a little girl, “they're walking together! I wonder what they could possibly have planned!” She was having a lot of fun teasing all the Uchiha Sasuke followers. Especially since the development was good for her! Neji was sure to see that Higurashi Kagome was hanging around Uchiha Sasuke and stop liking her, which meant he would finally turn his eyes upon her and finally see that she loved him more than anyone else!
 
“No, no, no!” the levelheaded Reina shrieked.
 
“Well—” Mizuki decided to finally leave them to their own devices, “—I simply must be going. Neji-sama is sure to be back from the mission he was sent on a few days ago, and I must be there to greet him. I hope that you all have a wonderful evening!” Flipping her hair once more, Mizuki directed her honey colored eyes toward the Academy entrance and walked away. As she went, there was a slight skip in her step.
 
“We have to do something about this!” another Uchiha Sasuke Fan Girl screamed.
 
Quiet!
 
The Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club quickly did so, as they glanced behind them to find Uchiha Leiko glaring heatedly toward the outrageous scene. None of them spoke, respecting the Uchiha girl's wishes, and watched as she finally snorted in amusement.
 
“Girls, girls,” Leiko said slowly, as if she was speaking to children. “There's no reason to resort to violence yet.”
 
“Oh,” Asuka demanded, “and what do you think we should do?”
 
“Nothing,” the Uchiha replied.
 
“Nothing!?!” Mayu hissed. “You want us to do noth—!”
 
The dark, smoldering eyes of the Uchiha girl put an end to the argument. Leiko continued once they were quiet again. “Yes, nothing. To do something now would only make Sasuke-kun hate us, since he is clearly accepting Higurashi's presence. So, we will do nothing directly.”
 
“Oh,” the other girls squealed. Uchiha Leiko was such a genius.
 
“What's the plan?” Mayu asked, grinning.
 
“I'm going to go have a little talk with Fugaku-sama,” Leiko grinned back. “I'm sure he'll be very interested in this little situation. After all, it is not everyday that his precious son hangs around someone outside the Uchiha clan.”
 
“But, what if you get Sasuke-kun into trouble?” another girl piped up.
 
“Ha!” Leiko laughed. That was almost funny! “As if Fugaku-sama will do anything to Sasuke-kun! He's his little pride and joy! The second in line to become the Uchiha Head!”
 
The rest of the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club agreed that that was true. Uchiha Fugaku would mostly likely let anything slide when it came to Sasuke. However, each had their own suspicion about the slight edge that appeared in Leiko's voice the longer she spoke. It was always there, hidden and controlled, but they could just bet that the arrogant Uchiha was jealous of her own flesh and blood. And that made them feel better about the plan, because it was not everyday that Leiko seemed human.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
The Nakano River was surprisingly quiet, as Higurashi Kagome knelt down next to the flowing water. The clear water was so beautiful, glittering lightly in the sunlight, as she dipped her fingers lightly into the moving current. She was making a fool of herself, she knew that, but she loved the steady flow of the Nakano River and decided that the section within the Uchiha clan training grounds was definitely her favorite.
 
Sasuke watched her silently, his onyx colored eyes taking in each movement and memorizing it for a later date. He briefly wondered what she was doing, considering they had agreed to train together, but decided not to comment as she giggled and splashed a bit of water into the air. It was nice to see her having such a good time, though he often saw her joking around with Naruto, and he did not wish to ruin the moment.
 
Especially with that damn insistent flip in his stomach.
 
Leaning back on her heels, Kagome straightened herself into a standing position. She turned her attention away from the Nakano River, despite how pretty it was underneath the gleaming sun, and twisted herself in the direction of the silent Uchiha standing with her. “Ok,” she threw her fist into the air, smiling, “I've seen enough. This is definitely the perfect place to train!”
 
Sasuke almost snorted. Of course it was the perfect place to the train. That was the main reason his clan instantly latched onto the land so long ago, claiming it for themselves and stating that no one else could use the area without permission from the Uchiha patriarch or Hokage.
 
“So—” she did not notice the slight roll of his eyes, “—we should get to work!”
 
He shrugged lightly, trying to ignore the flipping in his stomach, as she flashed her pretty blue eyes in his direction. “You agreed to help me, not the other way around,” he stated. “So whatever you think is best, sensei.”
 
“Hn, I like the sound of that,” the future jounin-instructor sighed. She did not like the tone that he attached to the word, but just hearing it was exciting. Someday! Yes, someday she would have a genin squad of her own! She could see it now! “Kagome-sensei. Kagome-sensei. Scratch that, I love the sound of that!”
 
Sasuke shook his head at the slight stupidity that she showed. And his eyebrow twitched, because she had definitely spent too much time around that idiot friend of hers. There was simply no other place that she could have picked it up. Though, it was a part of her charm, so he figured that he could live with it.
 
Blinking out of her little world, Kagome said, “We should probably start with you trying to use the fireball technique, that way I can watch and try to assess the reason why you keep messing up.”
 
“Haven't you seen me do it enough times in ninjutsu class?” he asked. She had to have seen it at least once. Masao-sensei was constantly telling him to perform a demonstration in order to give the other shinobi-in-training something to strive for.
 
“There are,” she paused, “distractions in ninjutsu class.”
 
Of course. Naruto. He should have known.
 
She eyed him after a moment, wondering why he was just standing there. She shifted her stance, becoming a little annoyed, before she said, “Well?
 
With ease, the Uchiha stepped away from the kunoichi-in-training and began to slide through the familiar set of hand seals. And, steeling himself, he shifted his fingers during a single seal just enough that he performed another seal altogether. Chakra gathered from his mouth to his chest within moments, before he finished the final seal and released it. Unfortunately, nothing could prepare him for the sudden burn that coursed through his throat, even when he knew it was coming.
 
Smoke drifted from his lips, as he grabbed onto his neck. His eyes clenched shut, the pain radiating out through his body, and he cursed his current plan. His nails sank into his flesh, trying to divert his nervous systems attention, but it did not help. His lips opened just slightly, as he gasped for breath, and he was more than a little surprised when thin fingertips pressed up against bottom lip.
 
“Here,” Kagome said softly. “Drink this.”
 
The cool water slid down the back of his throat as she tilted her hands and soothed the burn. He was rather grateful for the quick assistance, and allowed himself a moment to shove aside his Uchiha pride and drink from her dainty palms. Though, he did bite down the urge to grab onto her wrists in order to keep them there just a little longer.
 
Now was not the time for that.
 
“I'm gonna say that went rather badly,” she muttered.
 
“You think so?” he scoffed. He had just burned his throat for her, again! It was meant to go badly, though the oblivious girl did not seem to realize how hard he was trying to bring her attention to him.
 
She ignored him, continuing to mutter to herself. “Now, what was the hand sequence for the fireball technique? Snake-Tiger… uh, Tiger…” her voice trailed off a little, as her memory fizzled out. She was good at using the same technique after she learned it, but it was all on instinct. Her written test scores clearly showed that, since her mother often times said she ran more on instinct than anything else. “No, was it Snake-Tiger-Boar? Or Snake-Tiger-Horse?”
 
Blinking, Sasuke swallowed after loudly as he calmly stated, “Snake-Tiger-Boar-Monkey-Horse-Tiger.”
 
She nodded, before beaming, “There's your problem then!”
 
“I don't—” He could easily guess where she was getting at, but he had not expected her to find the problem so quickly. Then again, the Higurashi family was said to have very sharp eyes—perfect for assassination missions. People sometimes joked that they could rival the Hyuuga clan if they had a kekkei genkai, since their keen eyes seemed to notice even the smallest detail out of place. And that little fact made him pause, because the girl was clearly distracting him to the point that he was not thinking through his plans very well.
 
“The Monkey seal is like this, silly!”
 
Without warning, she was suddenly holding his hands, and Sasuke almost recoiled from the contact. He was not used to people touching him—though, he did often wonder it would be like to have Higurashi Kagome willingly do so—and avoided it most of the time. So, it really was not his fault when a light sheen of color appeared on his face.
 
Her callused fingers glide across his flesh, heating it, and he had to forcefully stop himself from shaking. It felt so good. He wanted her to touch him, willingly, affectionately, and finally realize that he liked her. Wanted her. Needed her. And so he allowed the contact, relaxing in her hold, as she skillfully positioned his hands into the Monkey seal.
 
“There!” Kagome grinned. “That's the reason you're screwing up!”
 
He stared at his hands almost stupidly, irritated with himself and with her for pulling her hands away. Then, he just added fuel to the fire when he spoke. “Oh.”
 
“Now, why don't you try it again so—!”
 
A commanding voice cut through the peaceful atmosphere surrounding the Nakano River, effectively destroying the enthusiasm that came from Kagome's encouragement.
 
Sasuke.”