Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ Curiosity Killed the Cat ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six: Curiosity Killed the Cat
 
“Work, slave!”
 
Naruto whimpered, as his friend-turned-warden marched back and forth behind him, occasionally stopping to poke him with her sandal. He could not believe she was making him do this ridiculous job! What kind of friend was she?!
 
“Faster!” she yelled. “You will earn me that thousand yen before the day is out, or else!”
 
Tears pricked the corner of Naruto's eyes, as he shifted his bandaged arm. It hurt a lot worse than it had earlier, and he was certain it was from Kagome's accidental probing whenever she felt he was not working hard enough. But, damn it, it was stupid for him to be doing such work! He only had one arm to work with!
 
I don't see you pulling any weeds!” she hissed dangerously.
 
Her tapping foot came into his line of sight, and Naruto's began pulling the stupid plants again. There was no way he was going to purposely give her a reason to kick his useless arm a bit! It hurt too damn much! Though, he supposed it was just as bad as the dirt and grime that was getting underneath his fingernails and all over his hand. And those damn prickly things! What the hell were those?!
 
Huffing, Kagome began to march once more. Her sharp, dark blue eyes bore into her friend's back, as she stated, “This garden will be weed-free by the time you are done! Do you understand, slave? Weed-free! It will be spotless, my mother will praise me for having done such a fine job, and then your debt will be paid! But, if you slack off, don't be surprised if you're sitting there through the night!”
 
Naruto whimpered. Through the night?!? What about sleep?
 
HEY!” she shouted. “Don't pick that, you idiot! That's an herb, not a weed!”
 
“What's the difference?” Naruto cried.
 
“Look at it!” she snapped, kneeling down next to him. “It has six leaves! And it clearly looks different than the weeds you are supposed to be pulling!”
 
Turning his tear filled eyes toward her, Naruto allowed his bottom lip to tremble. He said, “I don't have those damn sharp eyes of yours, Kagome! I can't see the damn difference, ok!?!”
 
Her face turned dark and thunderous, while her eyes darkened into a black abyss. Her voice low, she hissed, “Maybe you should have thought about that before you made that deal with me. Now, get back to work or I'll make you do something even more fun.”
 
Feeling like he was falling into her endless, danger filled eyes, Naruto turned back to the small garden. He wanted to cry, as he quickly found another weed and pulled it free from the soil. However, only a small whine escaped his throat, while he tried desperately to distinguish the weeds from the herbs. It was just so hard—his eyes were clouded, and those damn prickly things kept biting at his hands!
 
Seriously, what the hell were those things?!?
 
“Trust me when I say this, slave,” she growled, “I could find something much more entertaining for you to do. Like, hanging upside down while you try to do the dishes with that single arm! I'd really like to see that, but you'd probably just end up breaking all the plates!”
 
Upside down? Upside down!?! Dishes?!? Naruto nearly panicked at the thought, as he returned to his search for the little, unwanted plants hiding within the strangely weed-infested garden. He swore underneath his breath as the prickly things bit into his hands a little more, because he was certain now that Kagome had allowed the garden to be overrun with the stupid little things just for when she could get him to do the work.
 
Grinning cruelly, Kagome chuckled, “That's what I thought.”
 
Naruto finally allowed himself a moment to cry. Kagome had definitely allowed the garden to be overrun with weeds. She had to have known! She had to! There was no other explanation for it, since he knew for a fact she was supposed to keep the garden weed-free! It was her job! So, she had to have known that he would do something stupid and planned to have him do it for her!
 
It just was not fair!
 
“Hey, Kagome-nee-chan, is he crying?”
 
Naruto blinked away his tears, turning his head just enough to see the young Higurashi Souta latched onto his elder sister's side like a leech. Damn it! Now the boy would see him as weak! How was he ever supposed to become Hokage now?! However, he was quick to defend his pride, saying, “I'm not—!”
 
“Don't worry about him, Souta,” Kagome smiled, patting her brother's head. “He'll be fine.”
 
The young shinobi-in-training grinned happily at his sister's affection, allowing her a small moment to ruffle his hair before he batted her hands away. He completely ignored Naruto in favor of her, saying, “Grandpa's going to teach me another awesome water technique! Are you going to come with?”
 
Placing her hand onto his shoulder, she shook her head, “Not today, Souta.”
 
His face fell. He had hoped that his sister would come with him, since she always knew just what to say when he could not perform the technique the first few times. She always made him feel better and managed to show him how to channel his chakra. But, without her there, the training field felt rather empty. “But—”
 
“You see,” she grinned down at him, “I've got to make sure this maggot here—” she poked Naruto with her sandal, “—does not try to sneak away. He's got a debt to pay and he's going to pay it! Isn't that right, Naruto?”
 
Sensing the evil monster just waiting to pounce on him and make his life absolutely miserable, Naruto quickly nodded in agreement. And he returned to plucking the weeds from their current resting place, ignoring the damn prickly things and the dirt that he smeared across his cheek when he scratched an itch on his face. He felt so humiliated!
 
“Oh, ok!” Souta's face brightened a bit. His sister was so smart and powerful! She had to be to have the prankster, Uzumaki Naruto, wrapped around her finger and doing all of her chores for her. “You're so cool, Kagome-nee-chan!”
 
Thank you,” she smiled.
 
Naruto snorted, not believing a word of it. Evil, evil, evil! That was what she was! Not cool! Not awesome! Not amazing! Just evil, evil, evil! Making him do all the work she was supposed to do! How did she ever manage to sleep at night?!?
 
“You're not half-bad yourself, squirt,” she said, continuing to grin.
 
The young shinobi-in-training merely laughed a little when she once again ruffled his hair around. He did not seem to realize that she might have insulted him just a little bit. He only registered that his older sister was praising him, and he latched onto the praise and wanted more of it. As much as he could possibly get, because he was a greedy little boy that loved his sister more than anything else in the world.
 
The blonde shinobi-in-training grumbled to himself, knowing that the boy would be no help. He would just swallow up the affection—as fake as it was—Kagome gave him and praise her skills, beauty, and devious mind in return. He would not try to help him out of the ridiculous job that Kagome thrust upon him, believing that the only way to get him to pay her, her money was by force.
 
“Souta,” another voice called, “your grandfather is waiting.”
 
“Higurashi-san!” Naruto practically screamed, turning his bright blue eyes upon the woman. She would be his salvation, he was sure of it! The woman would knock down Kagome's tyranny and set him free!
 
“Hello, Naruto,” Higurashi-san smiled.
 
Naruto froze, as the older woman turned away from him. What was she doing? Did she not see him kneeling in the dirt, pulling the weeds that her daughter was supposed to be pulling? Did she not understand the dictatorship that had suddenly risen upon her small piece of land?!? Had Kagome brainwashed her, as well?!
 
Kagome prodded him with her foot once more in the back, growling, “Get back to work, slave!”
 
“Now, now,” Higurashi-san sighed, “play nice, Kagome.”
 
“Yes, mother!” Kagome smiled.
 
Naruto whimpered again. He was doomed! Doomed!
 
“Souta,” Higurashi-san said again, “you don't want to keep your grandfather waiting too long, do you? He might decide that you don't want to learn that water technique and leave for the day.”
 
“I'm coming!” Souta hollered, positive his grandfather had heard him from inside.
 
Higurashi-san balanced the tray on her hip, smiling as her youngest child raced to reach the house before her father decided to ignore the boy. Of course, she knew the old shinobi would most likely tease him until he begged, but it was good to see her family so happy and carefree. And the smile did not leave her face, even when she glanced up and noticed the newcomer walking up the pathway. “Oh, Uchiha-san, what brings you here?”
 
Souta stopped mid-leapt toward the door, twisting on his foot the moment he heard the clan name. His eyes brightened the moment he saw the other shinobi, and he raced back to his sister's side, forgetting all about his grandfather's training session. “You're Uchiha Itachi!” he shouted. “You're so cool!”
 
Kagome's eyebrow twitched, before she lightly whacked the younger shinobi-in-training upside the head.
 
“Kagome!” Higurashi-san scowled.
 
“Ow!” Souta cried. “What was that for?!”
 
“I'm the only cool one around here!” Kagome declared. “You got that, you little brat!”
 
“Mama, Kagome's being mean!” Souta sniffled.
 
“I can't believe you!” Kagome continued, beginning to march back and forth once again. “You go on and on about how cool I am, yet as soon as Uchiha Itachi steps into your presence, you jump ship! What kind of brother are you?”
 
“I should blast you with a water jutsu!” Souta growled.
 
“Try it,” Kagome growled back. She knew she was being childish, but she could not help it. “I'll zap you until you can't stand anymore!”
 
“That's enough!” Higurashi-san snapped, watching as both her children deflated. “You will not use the techniques you've learned against one another or another shinobi of this village! Do you understand me?”
 
“Yes, mama,” they grumbled quietly.
 
Naruto leaned back on his heels, snickering lightly at the sight that the two siblings made. They refused to look at one another, believing the other had started the problem and wanted nothing to do with them. However, his light snickering ceased when Kagome's burning blue eyes snapped in his direction.
 
“What do you think you're doing, Naruto?” she hissed. “Get back to work!
 
A squeak left Naruto's mouth, as he returned to the task Kagome had given him. Pull the weeds. Pull the weeds. Pull the weeds. Just pull them and not look at her, because she would probably set him on fire with that dark, evil look in her eyes.
 
“Would you like something to drink, Uchiha-san?” Higurashi-san asked. She was positive her children would not act up once again, though she kept a firm eye on them just in case.
 
“No, thank you,” Itachi replied evenly. “I will be leaving shortly.”
 
“I see,” Higurashi-san bowed her head. “Come along, Souta, your grandfather is waiting.”
 
“B-but,” Souta whined, “that's Uchiha Itachi!”
 
“Yes, I am aware,” Higurashi-san chuckled. The boy was very excited to have his idol standing on their family's land, but now was not the time. “But, I'm sure you do not wish to disappoint your grandfather, do you?”
 
Allowing his mother to take his hand, Souta shook his head. No, he did not wish to disappoint his grandfather, because that meant he would be disappointing his mother and his sister, as well. And he never wished to do that, because it meant he might not one day achieve his dream to be the greatest ANBU the village had ever seen.
 
“Higurashi Kagome,” Itachi stated once they were inside.
 
“That'd be me,” Kagome sighed. Did she not just leave Sasuke with this guy earlier? What was he doing at her home? Especially when he probably had much better things to do, like ANBU stuff.
 
Sneaking a peek at the two, Naruto narrowed his eyes. That feeling in his gut returned full force and he had to wonder if the meeting had anything to do with that bastard, Sasuke. And if it did, maybe he would finally figure out what was going on.
 
Uchiha Itachi blinked emotionlessly.
 
She shuffled her feet about, trying her hardest not to begin marching back and forth again. She was just a bit nervous underneath his blood red stare. Well, a lot more nervous than she had been underneath Uchiha Fugaku's stare, and she hoped beyond hope that he would stop looking at her for just one second! “Um, was there something you, uh, wanted?”
 
“Why did Sasuke choose you to help him today?” Itachi asked.
 
Blushing, Kagome nearly choked. “H-how am I supposed to know?!?”
 
The wheels in Naruto's head began to turn. That was a really good question. He had not thought about looking at the situation from Sasuke's point of view. All he had cared about at the time was that Kagome had agreed to help the arrogant Uchiha, but now the question was very intriguing. What reason did anyone have to ask Kagome to help them, besides the fact that she had really good chakra control and could perform a few advanced techniques?
 
“He could have asked anyone within the Uchiha clan—anyone with more experience with the fire technique—yet he chose you. Why?” Itachi pressed. “What is so special about you, Higurashi?”
 
“I-I don't know!” Kagome replied. Why was he asking her these questions? Why not the person that decided to choose her?!?
 
“You appear to be an average kunoichi, despite your ability with ninjutsu,” he continued. “Why would you be chosen by an Uchiha? What can you possibly do that an Uchiha cannot?”
 
Kagome did not speak, her back straightening. Was he interrogating her? On what grounds did he have to talk to her like that? Seriously, she did not care if he was some high-ranked Uchiha prodigy! He had no right to come onto the Higurashi family property and start firing questions at her!
 
“What makes you so special that Sasuke—?”
 
“Alright,” Kagome growled, “look here, buddy—”
 
Naruto shivered at the tone of Kagome's voice, though he was very glad that she was not directing her temper at him. But, his mind continued to process through the questions that Itachi had issued, his brain working overdrive as it tried to grasp onto the answer. He knew the answer. He was positive that he did. It was just lodged somewhere in the back of his head and he could not seem to grasp a hold of it no matter how hard he tried.
 
Itachi merely raised an eyebrow, inwardly surprised with the Higurashi's display of temper. From the way she had acted around his father, he had been positive that she was very docile and easily pushed around. So, mentally, he checked off one of the reasons Sasuke might be attracted to the girl, since he doubted his brother wanted some weak kunoichi that would obey his every command.
 
“—I don't care who you think you are,” she continued, “but if you're so interested in answers, you can go find your brother and get them from him! I'm not going to stand here all day while you interrogate me and just take it. So, why don't you just go do… whatever you're supposed to be doing!”
 
Odd girl. However, Itachi found her little speech highly amusing. It was clear that she did not fear the Uchiha clan—yet another reason why Sasuke might have formed such an attraction for her. She did not even fear him, which either proved that she was very brave or very stupid. And the look that she was giving him was pushing him to believe she might actually be that brave.
 
Snapping her eyes to her friend, she frowned. “How many times must I tell you to get back to work, Uzumaki Naruto!?! You will earn me that thousand yen, do you understand!”
 
“Ouch!” Naruto hissed, when she probed his arm again. “Knock it off! I'm working, I'm working!”
 
Blinking, Itachi allowed his Sharingan to deactivate. The girl was stranger than he originally believed, and he wondered why his brother would wish for her affection so much. He could have any girl he wanted—the presence of his fan club proved that much—yet he wanted this girl, the one that appeared completely oblivious to the fact that he even liked her. “Higurashi,” he finally asked, “what do you think of the Uchiha clan?”
 
Naruto blinked, remembering the day that Sasuke went on and on about the Uchiha clan. He had thought he was just being an arrogant bastard that day—more than usual, at least—but hearing the words from Uchiha Itachi's mouth gave the day a new meaning. A whole new meaning. And Naruto's stomach was suddenly in knots, while his mind tried to come up with the answer he knew he knew.
 
“Huh?” Kagome blinked. “What do you think? It's a clan. What more is there to say, besides the fact that it's powerful?”
 
Contemplating the words for a second, Itachi nodded and then walked away. He saw now why Sasuke wanted that girl. She was unlike any of the kunoichi that followed him. She had potential, cared little about the fact that they came from a powerful clan, and contained quite a bit of beauty for one so young. Sasuke, he was sure, had a hard time just ignoring her.
 
“That was weird,” Kagome muttered.
 
Naruto did not hear her, though, as he suddenly stopped working altogether. His mouth fell open, as he remembered another situation that involved Hyuuga Neji just over a year ago. When the boy asked Kagome, quite bluntly, what she thought of the Hyuuga clan. And Kagome remained completely oblivious, despite how many times the older shinobi tried to make her see that he wanted to hold her heart in his hands.
 
Holy shit!?!
 
“Hey!” Kagome growled. “Get back to work!
 
An extremely sly grin spread across Naruto's face when the realization hit him in the face.
 
Nar-u-to.”
 
Ouch!” Naruto cried, when Kagome's sandal pressed into his arm. But, he was not deterred from his new goal. He would finish the damn work Kagome wanted him to do—he did owe her that money, after all—and then he would search out the Uchiha. He would toy with him a little bit, make sure he was not mistaken, and then debate whether or not the boy was worthy of even having such feelings.
 
The realization was just so big, though!
 
Who would have guessed that Uchiha Sasuke was in love?!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
KibaSin: Heh, poor Sasuke. Itachi's curiosity screwed him. He'll never get anything done now that Naruto's knows—or will he? Mwhaha.
 
Kiba