Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Returning Legacy ❯ Hide and Go Seek Isn't Always Fun... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi everyone!! Wow, it's been almost amonth since I updated… sorry bout the long wait!!
 
And a favor for me please?! If ANY of you happen to know or stumble across anInu/Naru fic that has Kag/Nar can you tell me?!?! Please!?! I'd love you dearly and indefinitely!!^^
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Disclaimer: I do not, and never will not, own Inuyasha, Naruto, or their characters. :'(
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Returning Legacy of a Hidden Village—
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Kagome's Thoughts—
#Naruto's Thoughts#
/Sasuke's Thoughts/
(Kyuubi's Thoughts)
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Ages—
 
Team 7, 8, and 10: 15
 
Team Guy: 16
 
Kakashi: 26
 
Guy: 29
 
Kurenai: 23
 
Asuma: 25
 
Jiraiya:43
 
Tsunade:41
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Last Time;
 
Kagome stopped in front of Naruto's door and raised her hand, and the feeling of dread washed over her yet again. Her mind still preoccupied on Naruto so she just ignored it and knocked on Naruto's door.
 
Then all went black for Kagome…
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
-- Hide and Go Seek Isn't Always Fun
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
This time;
 
--Five minutes after Kagome left her compound; Back at Naruto's Apartment--
 
Naruto walked out of his apartment with a bored look on his face and kicked the door closed behind him, not bothering to lock it up.
 
#Ain't as if there's anything to steal anyways# he thought begrudgingly, a frown playing upon his lips.
 
Slowly walking through the hallway, he made his way towards the stairs down the hall, only one thought stuck on his mind.
 
#What to do today…?#
 
He was at a lost; so many things to choose from, but nothing jumped out to him.
 
Pulling pranks? As much fun as that sounded, he just wasn't in the mood for that right now; unusual as that was.
 
Some people would say he's finally lost it… or growing up…
 
He'd just say he was just that lazy…
 
He reached the stairs and climbed down them, the thudding of his shoes clomping on the concrete, echoing in the deserted, quiet building. He veered to his destination; the exit door a few strides away from him. He continued along, thinking of some of the other possibilities for things to do.
 
Training? Tempting, but not enough. He could always train later, and besides, he just ate. Never is it a good idea to fight on a stomach filled with none other than ramen.
 
He reached the door and pushed it open; making his way out of the apartment complex and into the blinding sunlight. He blinked rapidly to clear his vision of the sudden glare of light, raising his hand to shield his lazy blue eyes when it hit him.
 
“Kagome…” he mumbled out, before a huge excited grin spread out across his face, the whiskers on his cheeks stretching out. His eyes sparkled playfully as a new thought slipped through his head.
 
#Oh yea… she's supposed to wake up today!… She must be bored outta her mind from being stuck at home… might as well bother her!# And he started to snicker wildly. Without another thought, he raced off to get to Kagome's home.
 
--
 
He arrived at Kagome's manor in record time. Slowing down, he skidded to a halt in front of her house, dirt kicking out from underneath his feet. Glancing around, he noticed the drastic changes in the scenery. His eyebrows shot up. “Whoa…” he breathed out.
 
It took five seconds before his lips turned down into a scowl; a tad bit peeved. #Grrr she was supposed to wait for us to help…#
 
Scowl still set in place he marched up to the front door grumbling incoherent things and knocked on the door a little harder than usual. The pounding sound filling the air as the door shook against his fist.
 
There wasn't an answer.
 
He waited a minute, his foot tapping impatiently, before trying to open the door. He twisted the handle but it wouldn't turn. Locked.
 
Naruto pouted, momentarily believing his plans were shot down. A locked door meant that she wasn't there…
 
He brightened though. If she wasn't here then that meant she was healed up enough to walk around the village. Deciding to go look for her, he set out back to the village to find his best friend.
 
--
 
To start off, Naruto searched for Kagome at the Ichiraku Ramen Stand. Standing before the flap of the stand, he pulled it back and peeked in, but like her, he didn't find the person he was looking for.
 
Scratching his head in confusion as his blond eyebrows furrowed, he wondered about where to look as he walked down the streets of the village, before spotting his other two teammates; Sasuke and Sakura.
 
Sakura was talking animatedly while Sasuke had a bored look on his face. Naruto walked over to them gaining a relieved look from Sasuke, glad that talking had ceased if only for a moment, and an annoyed look from Sakura for being interrupted. “Oi guys!” he greeted cheerfully.
 
“Naruto.” Sasuke greeted back with a curt nod, though you could see a spark of gratitude in his eyes.
 
“Hey” Sakura muttered out unenthusiastically before she looked away at something else she found more interesting.
 
Naruto blinked at his teammate's grumpy mood, but waved it off. Wanting to find his missing friend soon he got right to the point. “So have ya guys seen Kagome-chan anywhere?” he questioned curiously.
 
Sakura was quick to answer when she heard the question spill from the blond's mouth, lips twisted into a scowl as she turned to stare at him through narrowed eyes. “No we haven't.” she told him sharply. Apparently she was still bitter about a few days ago.
 
Sasuke ignored her, opting for quirking an interested eyebrow at Naruto. “She's awake?” he inquired curiously.
 
Naruto nodded head furiously. “Yea… she wasn't at her house so I guess so.” He informed them, disappointed, if they haven't seen her, then who would?
 
Sasuke stared at him, tempted to roll his eyes. Of course Naruto would go looking for Kagome. If not him, then she would do the same just like old times; it was always like this for the both of them. “Hn.”
 
Naruto shrugged. “Well I'm gonna go keep looking for her, can you keep an eye out for her and tell her I'm looking for her if you see her?” he asked now fidgeting slightly, itching to move.
 
Sasuke snorted at his friend's impatience but shrugged back anyways. “Sure.”
 
Sakura rolled her eyes uncaringly. “Whatever.”
 
Naruto grinned at them gratefully. “Thanks guys!” he exclaimed in a cheery voice before walking away.
 
He continued his search, looking in various shops and whatnot. But still, to no avail, he didn't find her.
 
Walking out of yet another shop he sighed out, exasperated. #Where in the hell is she?!# he whined in the confines of his mind, shoving his hands into his pockets unhappily.
 
“Hey! Naruto?!” a feminine voice yelled out from behind.
 
Naruto whipped around when he heard his name and his eyebrows shot up, mildly surprised at the outburst.
 
It was Ino who yelled.
 
He blinked, before he gave her a grin and waved over to her. “Hey Ino!”
 
Ino sauntered over to him, and placed her hands on her hips in an intimidating fashion. “Where have you been?! Kagome-chan's been looking all over the village for you!”
 
Naruto blinked again, and sweatdropped. “She has?!” He rubbed his head sheepishly. “Heh, I've been doing the same thing though…”
 
Ino rolled her eyes. No wonder why they haven't found each other… they were too busy looking for each other.
 
“Do ya know where she went?” he asked politely; he really wanted to find Kagome and talk with her. After three years of her absence she missed a lot of things he would be glad to fill her in of.
 
The missions they went on, their adventures, the obstacles they had to overcome, the exams… all of those she missed and more, and of course he was going to find a way to get her to spill about why she even left in the first place.
 
Ino nodded, lifting up her arm to stick her thumb out behind her. “Yea, I told her to check at your apartment a little while ago, she should still be there if you use a transportation jutsu… she was walking…”
 
Naruto grinned at her, nodding to her excitingly. Sweet! It wouldn't be too long till they finally got to talk to each other. “Ok… Thanks a bunch!!” He brought his hands up, preparing to do the jutsu. He looked at her before leaving. “See ya la-“ he tried saying before being interrupted.
 
`BBBBOOOOOOOMMMMM'
 
The ground shook violently, causing the two genin to crouch into a defensive stance. Buildings shook along with the trees. Various and numerous villagers were knocked to the ground by the multitude of the rumble. Only those who were ninjas were able to hold their positions.
 
Ino and Naruto shared a surprised and wary look. One word…
 
“Explosives…” they both breathed out as they stared.
 
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Naruto's apartment—
 
`BBBBOOOOOOOMMMMM'
 
The explosion itself shocked her; it was too sudden and unexpected. She was thinking about Naruto, her mind too occupied, freezing her and stalling any moves of defensive she could have taken other than split second reflex of manipulating the hot fire produced by the hidden explosive so that it didn't burn her when she felt the oncoming heat.
 
So as Kagome blacked out from the force of the explosion she was blown backward by the blast.
 
Splinters of wood pierced Kagome as the apartment door shattered into pieces. Flying back, Kagome crashed into the wall on the other side of the hall, busting through the drywall of the apartment hall before also crashing through the flimsy, weak concrete panel from the outside of the apartment building. She propelled away from the apartments, courtesy of the blast, before finally dropping to the ground from the two-story position she was previously in.
 
Thankfully, she was blown out from the side where there was soft grass. With a sickening thud she crashed to the ground, rolling over repeatedly as her limbs flailed before finally colliding to a halt with a thick oak tree.
 
An involuntary gasp escaped from Kagome's mouth as she curled around the trunk, the wind being knocked out of her.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Naruto and Ino--
 
Naruto and Ino grimaced at each other, and a second later a deafening roar filled their ears; the sound of a building collapsing. Their heads whipped towards the direction of the noise, only to see a humongous cloud of blackened smoke, it being a combination of the dust being tossed into the air and fire.
 
In the distance a semi-tall building leaned back and forth to its sides. The image of the building struck a feel of familiarity before a look of absolute horror crossed Naruto's face.
 
Ino noticed it too. “Hey… isn't that… where you… live...?” she commented slowly, before she fully comprehended the words she was spilling.
 
Naruto snapped his head to Ino, his eyes wide as dinner plates, and his face horrified. He whispered the one thing that frightened them both. “…Ka…gome…”
 
Without looking at her Naruto gave orders to Ino, his tone void as he shouted. “Fuck! Get the Hokage and tell her about this and to go to the Hospital Ino. I'll try to find Kagome and meet her there.” He brought his hands back up to do the transportation jutsu.
 
Ino made a move to argue, she wanted to help find Kagome too! “But-“
 
Naruto snapped his head to glare at her ferociously with flashing red speckled blue eyes, the whiskers on his face getting more prominent. “NOW!” he snarled at her, tone harsh. Worry was creasing his forehead.
 
Ino stumbled back in shock, before she nodded her head furiously, determination sparking in her eyes. “Got it.” She disappeared in a poof of smoke as she used the transportation jutsu before Naruto did the same.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Down by the Apartment complex—
 
It was dark but bright.
 
The dark rolling clouds of smoke polluting the air around. Wisps and tendrils of the bright orange blaze shot out wildly, almost animalistic, spreading rapidly until finally it devoured the entire building.
 
Pieces of drywall, concrete, wood, and other junk broke off from the complex, littering the ground below.
 
Destruction ensued as the flame continued, the building tilting as its support currently underwent burning to ashes. The creaking, ear-splitting sound of the building in the process of collapsing echoed out as the screech of metal against metal bending under the pressure made itself heard.
 
Laid buried under a certain pile of debris was an unconscious Kagome, a dark red liquid pooling around her and staining the grass.
 
Luck was on her side though, for under the brunt of the debris was an enormous chunk of cement angled against the tree Kagome had previously crashed into, preventing her from being crushed; only a few light pieces of drywall and stripped wood was scattered upon her as a result.
 
Faint coughing noises could be heard in the background, most likely caused by the smoke sifting in the surrounding air.
 
A feminine voice moaned out in agony and pain. “…Nar… Naruto…”
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
As a cloud of clearer, whiter smoke formed suddenly and a blur shot out from it in a flash.
 
Spiky blond hair whipped wildly in the gusty, smoky wind as Naruto dodged the raining debris above him.
 
His alert blue eyes shifted frantically as he searched the surrounding area for some kind of indication of Kagome's location.
 
Ears and eyes alike strained for any sign while he sprinted through the destruction, ignoring the blazing heat emitting from the nearby inferno.
 
“Kagome!!.... Kagome!!” He called out pleadingly, willing for her to answer back some way.
 
His eyes narrowed as a faint feeling overcame him, telling him to stay and keep looking, but he wasn't too sure.
 
He skidded to a stop near some various piles of debris, breathing heavily as a film of sweat covered his skin, droplets skimming down his face and neck.
 
He tried feeling for a chakra signal, but no such luck. Her chakra reserves must not have recovered yet.
 
He stood still, giving no attempt to bat away the shards of glass and clumps of stone falling down on him, obtaining shallow cuts as they grazed his skin.
 
He bit his lip, uncertain before shaking his head and pushed back the feeling, set on the single thought that if Kagome was inside the building she could be suffering horribly as he searched down here for nothing if he stayed!
 
As he shifted to continue running he sucked in a deep breath in, not taking in the consequence of the action as he also breathed in smoke. Halting at mid-breath he coughed hard and rapidly, bringing his sleeved covered arm up to cover his mouth.
 
When the coughing calmed he wiped his eyes of building water, and looked dazedly at the ground as he recovered from the cough attack.
 
A quiet, faint moan carried along the wind, and reached Naruto's ears. “…Nar…Naruto…”
 
His head shot up and over to the direction from where the sound came from.
 
His eyes searched, trying to pinpoint the location of the source. He ran over closer to where he thought the sound came from and scanned the area. “Kagome?!” he called out anxiously. “Where- where are you?!”
 
No answer.
 
“Damn it! Will you please just fucking answer me!” he cursed out, frustrated and worried. He was breathing erratically, antsy in this situation that he didn't know what to do. He was getting desperate.
 
His eyes slid over the area once more, and stopped short. Over by a tree was a pile of debris, and underneath was a hand.
 
A flash of horror shot through his body as he stared blankly at the limp hand. #Is that…? Is she…?# His thoughts trailed off, unable to form anything complete in his fraying mental state due to fear.
 
He soon shook his head stiffly, gripping onto some more positive thoughts. #No! No!... she's not… she's too strong.. too stubborn…#
 
He looked up again at the hand, one thought clear. #Save her now… worry and bitch later# With that in mind he shot over to his interred friend.
 
A wave of relief washed over him as he reached her, discovering the large slab of concrete hovering over her and preventing anything from crushing her frail body, and conveniently making it easier to pull her out.
 
Dropping to his knees, Naruto scooted closer to Kagome and made fast work to remove her from under the debris. Quickly brushing off the littering rubble on top of her he grabbed her, his hands gripping her waist gently but firmly as his arms snaked around her, before tugging her over to him carefully, grunting.
 
He backed out slowly, his movement cautious as he studied Kagome's intently.
 
There was blood, and plenty of it, smearing across the skin over her arms, legs, neck, face, clothes, everywhere. A variety of deep and superficial cuts, slashes and gashes scattered along her skin, dark red blood still flowing freely.
 
Multiple deep, dark bruises, big and small, ranging from a blackish purplish color to a sickly yellow-green were tattooed to her body,
 
Splinters of wood and shards of glass pierced her flesh, but luckily enough there were no signs of burns marring her skin.
 
One thing hit him hard like a ton of bricks. Her chest… did it stop moving?
 
Suddenly he froze, sucking in a deep breath harshly, and his body felt numb, was she…?
 
Quickly, he laid his laid his head onto her chest, and listened closely as he tuned all the interfering outside noises from his head. A soft, barely noticeable noise entered his ears.
 
`thud…thu-thud…thud…'
 
He sighed in relief. Her heart was beating, barely and slowly but beating none the less. That was good right?
 
He went over to her mouth, and alarm ran through him as he saw they had a tint of blue to them. He turned his head, letting his cheek hover over her mouth and nose. Most of the alarm left him as a faint breeze tickled his cheek.
 
He sat up again and continued to slowly back out from under the debris.
 
Once Kagome was completely pulled out from under he gathered her into his arms and stood up. Hugging Kagome to his chest careful of her injuries, Naruto made sure none of the oncoming debris came in contact with her.
 
Shifting her gingerly he positioned his arms so that he could make the necessary hand signs for the transportation jutsu to the hospital, and he disappeared in a `poof' of white smoke.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Hospital—
 
Naruto leaped out of the sifting cloud of smoke and rushed through the hospital doors, shoving them open, a big `bang' reverberating within the room as they slammed against the walls inside.
 
Skidding to a halt in front of the main desk, he quickly caught the head nurse's attention. “Get some healers or something! She just came out of an explosion!” he shouted frantically, eyes wide and wild.
 
The nurse shot up out of her chair and called out for medical attention and a gurney. She ran over to Naruto and Kagome, checking out the patient.
 
Naruto looked over silently, gazing with serious eyes as Kagome was taken from his arms and placed onto a pristine white gurney. He followed them monotonously to an operating room, watching as various healers and nurses entered and Kagome was wheeled out of his sight.
 
Out of the corner of his eyes, against a wall, was a line of chairs. He sluggishly walked over there, dragging his feet on the way, before plopping into a chair, suddenly exhausted.
 
He sat slumped, depressed, and stared blankly straight ahead at the wall facing him.
 
His eyes lagged about as his mouth was set in a grim frown, breathing deeply.
 
However, inside his head was similar to a hectic, heated debate.
 
#This is all my fault# he ranted miserably as he proceeded to beat himself up over the current situation.
 
A dark, sardonic voice emerged from his head, its ominous presence flooding the recesses of his mind. 'Snort' (Yes, because you could really control all of which just occurred.)
 
Naruto jerked, surprised at the voice that just randomly popped within his head, before his blue eyes darkened and narrowed at nothing particular. He knew that voice… #Kyuubi?! What the hell are you doing in my head?!# Naruto mentally growled furiously, #I'm not at the fucking gate… what do you even want?!#
 
Haughty laughter filled his mind. (I have always retained the ability to do this, I just opted not to… and… I was bored so I decided to come out and play) Kyuubi replied back simply, not seeing the big deal.
 
Naruto twitched, grinding his teeth. #If it ain't already plain to see, I'm not exactly in the mood right now ya psychotic furball#
 
Kyuubi just offered him a scoff. (Obviously… you are being inconsiderably rude right now.)
 
Naruto groaned out, frustrated. #I wonder why…# he retorted sarcastically.
 
Kyuubi snickered tauntingly, the sound echoing, grating on Naruto's nerves. (Awhh is it because your girl might be dying, or just little ol' me?)
 
Now, Naruto would have blushed at Kagome being called `his girl', but instead reverted to being exceedingly enraged concerning to the rest of the quip. #Fuck off fox and go crawl back to your cage! I'm not gonna deal with your shit right now!#
 
(Calm yourself kit… she is not going to die…) Kyuubi said quietly, and a faint image of the fox rolling his eyes formed in Naruto's mind.
 
Naruto snapped. #You don't KNOW that!# He shot out at the kitsune, thought's booming.
 
Kyuubi let out an aggravated sigh. (All right, it is your fault. It is your fault that your little friend is in the hospital… every single thing is your fault and none of it would not have happened if it was not for you!) He blasted at Naruto, tone harsh.
 
Naruto's eyes went wide, appalled at the accusations. His jaw clenched tightly before his eyes narrowed indigently as he took it all in. #How the hell was I supposed to know someone would rig my apartment?! It's not my fault some fucked up freak decided to blast out my place. It wasn't my fault that by some unlucky chance Kagome happened to go there and get caught in that explosion!# Naruto choked out with difficulty.# It's not my fault that she's in the hospital fighting for her life! It's those demented bastard's fault! The one's that decided to plant the trap in the first place! I had no way of knowing that!# He argued hotly, his form trembling with the raging emotions conflicting within him.
 
A flitting image of a wry smirk on the fox's face crossed by. (Then why were you blaming yourself in the first place?) he piped up at the down boy.
 
Naruto went on, still strong, having yet to fully grasp what Kyuubi meant. #Because!! Just cause it…# Naruto's train of thought trailed off as a look of thoughtful and shocked realization crossed his face. “Oh…” he mumbled to himself. “It isn't my fault…” he muttered quietly, his low voice cutting the silence of the hall, now feeling like a complete idiot.
 
Kyuubi just sniffed arrogantly. (I am so proud of myself.) he praised lightly.
 
Naruto's blue eyes rolled at the comment. #Yea… you deserve a big pat on the back.# His tone was sarcastic.
 
Kyuubi didn't catch it. (Hah! I should get more than that for my services!) the fox exclaimed, cocky.
 
Naruto twitched. #Better watch it… that stick up your ass is getting pushed in a little too far, not very healthy…#
 
Naruto could see Kyuubi's eyebrow ticking. (You are undeniably lucky that I am stuck sealed within you boy.)
 
Naruto just smirked. #Yea… doesn't that just suck for you huh?#
 
An image of rolling eyes was clear to Naruto. Kyuubi grumbled incoherent things about rude, immature, inconsiderate hosts.
 
Naruto snickered gleefully and he felt Kyuubi tossing a scowl his way. (As it is clear to me that you are only going to make unnecessary jibes towards me from this point on I shall take my leave… but you should do well to cease your snickers. Someone's coming towards you and I doubt you would desire others thinking you are mental.) And with that the nine-tailed fox's presence started to fade away.
 
Naruto's snickering stopped quickly as he glanced over in the direction from which the sound of clicking heels paired with multiple clomping feet came from, echoing in the otherwise deserted halls. A flat look came across his face. #With you stuck in my head, it ain't gonna be too long till I finally do# he quippedefore the fox disappeared completely.
 
His only response was one of a dark, hearty chuckle.
 
As the small group arrived, a confident blond woman wearing billowing green robes and a concern swirling within her chocolate brown eyes in the lead, Naruto rose slowly to meet them, a down look back on his face as the current situation caught back up with him.
 
The blond woman briskly strode up to him and placed a comforting hand on the teen's shoulder, not muttering a word as her sympathetic brown eyes expressed all that she needed.
 
Naruto nodded, accepting and very much appreciating the silent gesture, grateful that she didn't say sorry or anything similar to that.
 
Tsunade gave a small, sad smile and a slight squeeze to his shoulder before she released him and pulled back to start walking away and down toward a set of double doors that led to Kagome's operating room, disappearing as she pushed through them and entered the room and Naruto gazing after solemnly.
 
After she vanished from Naruto's vision, he turned back to his other visitors; Kakashi, Jiraiya, and Sasuke, all looking worried and sympathetic, even Sasuke, though he only showed it slightly under the cold exterior he promoted.
 
Sasuke pinned Naruto with a serious gaze, studying him intently and taking in every detail with preciseness. His clothes were in poor condition; ripped, shredded, tattered, and stained. Dirt smudges covered what visible skin there was, along with fresh shallow cuts. His eyes were agonized and depressed, sunken in from his fatigue; mentally, physically, and emotionally and his mouth was set in a grim line.
 
Long story short he looked like absolute shit.
 
“She's not going to die.” He told Naruto, his voice expressing his finality and confidence for he knew without a doubt Kagome would pull through this.
 
Naruto gazed back with intense blue eyes that held just as much confidence and seriousness. “I know.” And he meant it.
 
Sasuke gave him a miniscule of a smirk. “Hn.”
 
Jiraiya looked over at his young student, seeing the same as the Uchiha. His eyes narrowed, irritated; that boy just can't take care of himself at all to save his life… but his eyes softened when he saw Naruto's expression of a beaten puppy left for dead. “It's not your fault” he told Naruto sternly, trying to make sure the teen didn't believe otherwise.
 
Naruto turned his stricken eyes his way. “I know.” He repeated simply, because he did know. His conversation with Kyuubi made sure of that; he knew there was no way he could have prevented this from happening, it was an unexpected turn of events.
 
Kakashi noticed his eyes though, the look so familiar that it struck a chord within him. He saw it almost every time he looked in the mirror. “But it doesn't stop you from continuing on blaming yourself.” He stated, sympathetic.
 
Naruto's eyes shot to Kakashi's one eye, seeing the wisdom deep in the black orb, before they dropped to the ground lingering there. “Nope, not one bit…” he muttered miserably.
 
Of course it didn't! No matter what, even if he did know he couldn't have had a hand in what happened, he still blamed himself, and there was no way around it.
 
He should have protected her! It's what he believed… isn't that what friends did?! Especially best friends?!? He should have found some way, anything! But he didn't and look what happened; less than a couple of hours of waking up from recovering she's knocked out and beat up yet again…
 
Shows how great of a `best friend' he was huh?
 
Sasuke's rigid, cold voice cut into his thoughts. “Dobe.”
 
Naruto's eyes snapped up, blue eyes glittering in intimidation. “What?” he spat out hotly.
 
Sasuke stepped forward, ignoring his tone. He stopped until they were in each other's faces when he glared at his blond friend with cold indifference, mouth set in a straight unexpressive line. “Stop.” He ordered aggressively.
 
Naruto blinked, his head flinching back at the order, before his eyes narrowed and his nostrils flared. His jaw tightened and he didn't answer… he had nothing to retort back.
 
Sasuke's glare dropped a few degrees, going even colder, and he growled silently. His fist clenched as he stared at Naruto through angry black orbs. “Stop beating yourself up. It's useless! It's pathetic! You feel bad?! Then get over it… make it up and protect her better next time! At least she's not dead and you still have a chance, so stop acting like you don't! Understand?!” Sasuke demanded harshly.
 
Naruto gaped at Sasuke's outburst as he stumbled back with a face of incredulity. He nodded slowly with wide eyes, wary of his rival/friends' next action and said nothing, at a loss for words.
 
An angry Sasuke yelling at you is scarier than when he just glares!
 
Sasuke smirked arrogantly and gave him a curt nod. “Good.” He emphasized, before backing off and stalking away from Naruto, veering to the wall which he leaned against, arms crossed and a look of disinterest plastered on his face; Naruto's head following his every step as he did so, eyes still wide with shock.
 
Kakashi and Jiraiya looked on amused but also very much surprised.
 
Giving advice was not like Sasuke, a total one eighty type of action for the boy who was so bent on revenge that he secluded himself from anything that dealt with any kind of socializing- other than arguing and fighting of course.
 
But this was a step in the right direction for the young teen. Life isn't meant to be staged on revenge but based on life goals because then, life has no value when you finally achieve the revenge you worked so long for.
 
What else do you have but the feeling of satisfaction when you lead that kind of life? Nothing, and your life is left empty, for you close out every good thing around you when you focus just on the revenge you oh so set upon.
 
You couldn't even call it a life to begin with…
 
Kakashi smiled slightly despite the situation, proud of his student… and his daughter like one as well, because without her he had no doubt that Sasuke would be too bitter and angry to even speak to Naruto like this, trying to act like a friend in Naruto's time of need.
 
He just wished it wouldn't have to come down to this for that to happen… but you can't choose where life takes lead.
 
 
--2 hours later; After Operation—
 
They were sitting in a depressing silence, there was nothing to say, nothing to talk about.
 
Sasuke was still leaning against the wall, a façade of indifference expressed on his pale face.
 
Four feet away from him sat Naruto, one leg bent and the other stretched out, his arms propped on top. His head was laid back against the wall as he gazed at the Hospital, counting the tiny diminutive specks. #Seven hundred twenty three million, five hundred eighty two thousand, two hundred and sixty one… seven hundred twenty three million, five hundred eighty two thousand, two hundred and sixty two… seven hundred twenty… crap! I lost count… again… That's like what?! The third time!?! Ughh…#
 
That's how bored he was…
 
Kakashi sat in an ordinary hospital chair like a normal person, laid back, and his nose shoved into a book… one guess…
 
…Ichi Ichi Paradise obviously…
 
He sat next to Jiraiya who was writing something, presumably his next novel.
 
He wasn't getting any good ideas of course… not exactly the best time to come up with perverted plots and what not but it was a way to pass the time along until they heard some word about Kagome's condition. Right now his novel had taken up a more depressed, serious tone to it… he was probably going to toss it out later, after this was over and things settled.
 
But if you looked closely, you could see Kakashi's one eye trail over to Jiraiya every second or so, trying to catch a sneak peek; whether Kakashi was doing a good job of being discreet or Jiraiya was too divulged into his work was a little hard to discern.
 
The sound of the Operation Room doors opening caught their attention, their eyes snapping to that direction.
 
Out of the doors came Kagome, lying unconscious on a gurney being wheeled by two nurses, Tsunade at her side.
 
Sasuke pushed off against the wall while Naruto jumped up from his position on the floor as soon as they saw them.
 
Jiraiya tucked his pen and scroll into his shirt gently, and Kakashi tucked his book into his back pocket, before they rose calmly.
 
Patiently and others not so patient waited as Kagome approached along with Tsunade and the medical staff.
 
As they passed the small group Tsunade waved for them to follow.
 
And that they did… they followed as Tsunade led them to a quaint room, equipped with light green walls, the normal speckled white ceiling, a average sized bed with two white pillows and white sheets, and a decent sized white nightstand where a small lamp was situated. Folded next to the lamp was some of Kagome's belongings; her hitai-ate and her weapon pouches. Underneath were her shoes. Her clothes were no where to be seen, probably too shredded and tarnished with soot, dirt and blood to be saved.
 
The group waited until everything was hooked up, and the nurses left, leaving Tsunade with the guys.
 
They all got a good look at her.
 
She definitely looked better than before, but she looked a sickly pale and weak. Bandages that could be visibly seen were wrapped tightly around her arms and hands, and they predicted that there would be many more on her legs and torso.
 
Tsunade turned around to stare at them critically, her mouth a thin grim line. “Two fractured ribs, a twisted left ankle, sprained wrist, contusion on her skull, smoke filled failing lungs, minor along with major cuts and gashes, shallow and deep scrapes, and to top it all off multiple bruises that range from every size and color in the book…”
 
Naruto winced as Tsunade checked off every injury Kagome previously had… it was not pretty to hear all of them listed off and he had been there to witness them.
 
Kakashi and Jiraiya both had similar looks; shocked and pissed. If looks could kill….
 
Sasuke, though as toned down as possible, had a look of shock, anger, and grief. He was shocked at the extent of damage Kagome was put through of course, undoubtedly raging against those who did this to her and actually felt sympathetic that Kagome had to go through that and that Naruto had to go through the guilt.
 
Tsunade gave a pointed look at Naruto. She need to know everything, how, why, who… everything.
 
All she got was a plea of help from Ino, the poor girl shaken but still together as she explained just that Naruto's building was going down in flames by explosives and that Kagome was trapped in it.
 
She knew Naruto would find Kagome before going straight to the Hospital so she came here as soon as she could after gathering Jiraiya, Kakashi and Sasuke who happened to be with his sensei. “Mind telling me exactly what happened for her.” Tsunade motioned to the unconscious female genin. “to arrive in such a horrid condition?”
 
Naruto fidgeted under Tsunade's heated stare, and everyone else turned to look at him expectantly. His eyes dropped to the ground, and just gave them a shrug. “I dunno!” he whispered out harshly.
 
He looked up at Tsunade and pinned her with sky blue eyes deep in concentration. “I'm serious!” he exclaimed when the Hokage gave him a blank look. “All I know was that someone blew up my apartment and Kagome got caught in the crossfire!”
 
Tsunade stared at Naruto, studying him. `Interesting…' she thought to herself. `The Akatsuki…?' She gave a mental nod, `most likely…'
 
Her eye suddenly ticked. `And where in the hell were the ANBU I posted at his complex?! They were supposed to be looking out for suspicious activity and such!' She growled silently. `They better have a damn good excuse when I talk to them!'
 
Her eyes narrowed as a question popped into her head. “Where exactly did you manage to find her?” she demanded from Naruto.
 
As soon as his mind registered the question Naruto shut his eyes quickly, the searing images of Kagome's rescue flashing back in to his head.
 
Blazing heat, the black smoke clawing at his lungs, tumbling debris… blood, lots of blood and all from Kagome, her injuries… her pale face covered in cuts… her chest barely rising and her heartbeat hardly noticeable… for a moment he even thought she was dead… he grinded his teeth... he'd probably be haunted by these images for nights.
 
A cool hand jerked him out of his flashback, soothing green light entered his mind, and he felt his some of his energy return to him, and the injuries he managed to get started to heal up.
 
His azure eyes cracked opened to lock with soft, motherly brown eyes staring back at him. His face screwed together as he tried to stare at the appendage on his forehead. Tsunade snickered softly and pulled her hand back, but not before ruffling his hair a bit.
 
Naruto's lips couldn't help but turn up into a slight smile, before sighing.
 
He opened his mouth and spoke quietly. “I found her by one of the nearby oak trees… maybe twenty, thirty feet away from the complex. She was under a huge pile of random crap; but some chunk of concrete propped against the tree managed to shelter her from most of it.” He sighed again, disgruntled.
 
All of their eyes, especially Tsunade's, went wide with disbelief. She was just wondering how in the hell did Kagome actually survive that? The velocity of the blast had to be immense to blow her out that far, it would have killed anyone else… it should have killed her.
 
Tsunade's head turned to Kagome, and narrowed suspiciously. Under those circumstances, Naruto should have carried in a dead Kagome. Her eyes melted as she studied her young niece… either Kagome was pretty damn lucky and too stubborn to die or… or there was something else, something inside her, helping her stay alive.
 
“Naruto…” Tsunade murmured softly, her voice grave. “If what you say is true, then…” she let out a deep breath, reluctant to say this to the young teen. She shook her head, resolve filling her being; she wasn't going to sugar coat this. “Then Kagome should have died.”
 
Naruto went to argue but Tsunade put up a hand to stop him. “Granted, Kagome's extremely lucky. I really do not know how she survived, there's no way she should have. The explosion alone should have killed her on impact, but I'm guessing on the fact she is an element wielder the fire either didn't affect her or she was still conscious to control it.”
 
She gave Naruto a serious look, one that left no room for kidding. “It was so intense that not many would have come out of that alive, the trap was most likely meant for you Naruto, but Kagome got to it first. This would have been enough to seriously injure you, but because of the Kyuubi you would have pulled through it…”
 
Tsunade shook her head… she still didn't understand this at all. “But the fact that Kagome flew through the walls of the building, down two stories and being buried underneath heavy debris, it's a miracle she was still even barely breathing when you found her, coming out with just some fractures and no broken bones at all. Any normal shinobi would have been killed in that explosion…”
 
Naruto looked up at Tsunade, an intense in depth look in his eyes “Kagome's not any normal ninja baa-chan.” He stated quietly, fire burning in his eyes.
 
Her left eye twitched at the name. “I'm not old you brat…” She sighed, the fatigue of excess use of chakra to heal catching up to her. “But you're right, there's something different about her, other than the miko Ki she posses and the kekkei genkai there's something more that's helping her live, there has to be… I just don't know what it is though… but I'll find out somehow, one way or another” Determination shot flashed in her eyes.
 
Sasuke stepped forward, now finally speaking. “So… how long…?” he ventured, curious.
 
Tsunade's eye glanced over to him, and her face scrunched slightly as she thought. “She'll be out for a while… her chakra reserves still need to recover fully and though her extensive injuries are healed she'll still be stiff and in pain. She obviously still has the minor injuries; it took some energy to repair her lungs and fractures so we weren't able to attend to everything and besides, it's not good to be go through much healing chakra at one time, seeing as it could later lead to have no effect on her.”
 
Tsunade went over to the end of Kagome's bed, before picking up a chart and flipping through the papers clipped to it. “She's been given a heavy dose of anesthesia, and will be continued giving some, though in smaller doses, to ensure that she gets the rest that she needs… just a precaution to make sure she doesn't wake up in the middle of agonistic pain. “ she grimaced lightly at the thought along with the others.
 
She replaced the chart back into its former place and turned back to the group, hands on her hips. “It'll be somewhere between four days to a week before she wakes up, but it depends on her really…”
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
-3 days later—
 
It was a bright, beautiful morning out. The ideal kind that you would just wish to wake up to every single living day of your life. Birds chirping happily, the morning dew dripping from the tips of leaves and grass blades, not a cloud marring the dawn sky, the chilled air wrapping it's transparent tendrils around everything it could grasp, trilling squirrels skipping to tree to tree, any and every wonderful thing noticeable in the morning imaginable could be witnessed.
 
Yet, this one morning had one imperfection for a certain blond head ninja, who woke up with a aching kink in his neck. His drowsy blue eyes blinked lethargically as he slid up to a sitting position from his previous one of curling in an uncomfortable, cramped hospital chair.
 
Surprisingly, Kagome had been healing up nicely, faster than anyone expected. Her bruises were fading; the most prominent one on her back from crashing into the walls and on her ribs from rolling into the tree was the only ones remaining. Her cuts and scrapes were diminishing as well and her chakra reserves were already back up to past… fifty percent or so.
 
Lately Naruto had been staying overnight at the Hospital by Kagome's side, seeing as he had no other place to go. Well… Kakashi… hell even Sasuke offered a place to stay, but he declined.
 
Sasuke and him, though they were he assumed best friends and all, the way they expressed their friendship he kind of doubted it would be such a great idea. If he went through with it he wouldn't be surprised if Sasuke would go berserk on him… living under the same roof just wouldn't work out very well.
 
He had to refuse Kakashi because he was staying at Kagome's place, and it didn't feel right to him if he stayed at her home without her permission, even if Kakashi tried assuring it would be alright. He knew it too, Kagome probably wouldn't even let him try to refuse, but he would feel better if it came from her mouth,
 
One thing he couldn't refuse though was clothing and food, he didn't exactly have a choice on either of them.
 
He didn't have anything to wear anymore since all of it burnt to a crisp and the one he was wearing before was too destroyed to be salvaged into anything useful. Therefore he had to accept, reluctantly of course, the only thing that could fit; a black under shirt and khaki pants… Sasuke's clothes.
 
He grimaced in distaste when it was handed to him; it was a little too bleak and dark for his liking but it would have to do until he got some of his own clothes made.
 
The food was practically forced on him by Tsunade but he certainly couldn't complain.
 
He didn't know how long it would take to find another apartment complex that would willingly take him in and allow him to live in; the only reason he lived at the other one was because it was abandoned.
 
So basically he was stuck at a dead end.
 
Naruto stretched, arms extended in the air as he yawned loudly. He felt a light breeze blow in, the natural scents emitting from outside drifting in, and he looked up and out through the open window which had a particular shadow partially blocking the streaming sunlight shining through.
 
Thinking he was just seeing things he blinked sleepy eyes and looked back up at the window only to see low and behold, Itachi standing there carrying a familiar bundle.
 
Itachi was watching Naruto, his face indifferent as Naruto's mind refrained from registering that a deadly S-class missing nin was in the same room as him. Itachi's eyes watched critically while he waited patiently for the fireworks.
 
Naruto's eyes switched to the hospital bed, only to see it empty. His mind clicked into automatic awake mode as he realized Kagome was missing. His head snapped back to the window, where Itachi was now smirking malevolently at him as he held Kagome up, taunting him.
 
“Looking for this?” His deep voice held a mocking tone to it. His Sharingan eyes stared coolly at him.
 
Naruto jumped up, bristling. How he hated that look! That arrogant, `Oh look here! I'm so better than you!' look. And fury was setting in, possessiveness indulging him. This… threat… was touching something that was rightfully his. “Hey! What the hell do ya think you're doing?! Put her back!” he ordered Itachi harshly.
 
Itachi just stared at him blankly before his eyes narrowed at him. Seriously? Like he was going to take orders from some genin making pretty threats… “No…” he drawled out. “I don't think I will… I think I'll take her with me” He continued to smirk at him.
 
Naruto glared at him heatedly, two seconds past pissed. #That son of a…# “The hell you will!! It's me you want ain't it!? So put her down and leave her outta this, she ain't got anything to do with Kyuubi!
 
Itachi raised an obsidian eyebrow at him, sick amusement in his eyes. His smirk grew. “I never said I wanted you, now did I?” His tone retained an air of mysteriousness to it.
 
Naruto went rigid, the combination of fear and confusion coursing through him. Oh hell no. There was no way he was going to let him take her away to bring to the Akatsuki like some little prize toy.
 
He spoke in a quiet, dangerous voice. “What do you want Kagome-chan for?” he demanded darkly.
 
Itachi let out a humorless chuckle. “You'll have to beat it out of me if you ever want to know the answer to that…” and with that Itachi jumped out of the window and speeded away, Kagome in tow.
 
Naruto's eyes flashed red, the whiskers on his cheeks becoming ragged. “Get back here you ass!” Naruto snarled wildly as he jumped out of the window, following him.
 
Out of the dark corners walked four adult figures. It was Kakashi, Jiraiya, and two ANBU. Jiraiya turned to the ANBU with a serious glint in his eyes.
 
“Report to the Hokage and tell her of this immediately. We'll follow after them.” He ordered quickly.
 
They nodded curtly. “Yes Jiraiya-sama.” And they disappeared in a flurry of leaves.
 
Jiraiya glanced over to Kakashi. “We better get going then before the kid gets himself killed.”
 
Kakashi nodded, his eyes fueling with his anger. He had no doubt now that it was Itachi and his cronies that blew Naruto's apartment.
 
Swiftly, they made their way towards the window and jumped out, following the two genin and missing-nin's trail closely.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Words-8,060
 
So, how was it?!
 
This was different... I actually took time with this chapter. It's how I actually write my prologues; I put extra effort into them, because I want it to be as perfect as possible. Then when I'm writing chapters I rush to get them done ASAP.
 
Also, I have a special treat for you guys!!
 
DRAWINGS!!!
 
XD If you just go to http://rainlily13.deviantart. com/ without the spaces, there will be two Naruto/Kagome drawings waiting for you. Just look in the `Newest' box and it should be the first two. You might think they suck but oh well… I actually think I did a decent job! One's portraying a scene that already took place, and the other one is a little spoiler of something to come!! And they're cutesy ones too!! XDD
 
Anywhoo, I hope you enjoyed reading this!!
 
Review Pwease?! `puppy dog eyes' No flames but constructive criticism please!! :) I strive for them!!
 
Ja Ne!!!
-RainLily
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Review Replies—
 
Buzzk97- Hiya! Thanks! I'm glad it'll help! Hmm about Kagome's elemental powers, you're right, it is similar in nature with the 1st Hokage.
 
I've actually given a lot of thought for that to actually make some sense. Because of her clan she has a kekkai genkai that makes her able to meld elements to make others: ice, plants, etc., but only if she has already completely mastered the basic elements needed to make the combined element.
 
But the only reason she is able to wield plants so easily is because of her relation with the First, being a descendent of the Second who is the First's brother. So far I'm going to say Kagome has an affinity to all five elements but only completely mastered Fire, Earth, and Water.
 
Lol, well that was a mouthful but it should help for now and later for upcoming chapters though.