Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stains of the Heart ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six
 
She was amazed that it was so easy to escape the watch of those idiots who'd managed to make it to the rank of jounin. She smirked, her blank eyes staring ahead of her as she walked. She had expected the Hokage to think of posting other guards to keep watch over her, she was dangerous, but she'd expected them to be better at their assignment. Not simply let her pass by without even once alerting them to her presence. They were idiots—idiots that would most likely die if she decided this village was no longer any use to her. If she decided to kill them all, they'd be some of the first to go, along with that annoying boy she'd nearly killed.
 
Bringing her hand up, she looked down at it, remembering the feel of the kunai in her hand. She'd only stopped because she'd been disgusted with herself that she'd go against her honor code and kill a man who was not able to defend himself. When on a mission it did not matter, only completing it, but this was not a mission. It had been something she was going to simply do because she wanted to, because she had bowed down to the whim of the annoying, pestering, demanding voice in her head. She had allowed it to sway her decision, and that made her steel herself harder against her obsession, not wanting to be controlled ever again.
 
She almost thought of going outside the village in order to kill something or someone, but she decided against it. If she was going to keep herself from killing, finding delight in the death of others, then she was going to do it when she wished to, not when a piece of her demanded it. She was not someone's servant, she did not take commands, she gave them. She controlled her life; she controlled when she fed her need and when she didn't, there was nothing that would change that. Not some stupid boy, not some stupid voice, and not some stupid village that had managed to get in her way. She was Kagome, not someone's dog.
 
Stepping outside onto a small balcony, she glanced upward toward the top. She guessed that it would be the best place to observe the object she sought. At least then the Hokage couldn't see it as a way of escape, or trying to, and have her imprisoned. She was still at the place she was supposed to be during the night, she simply would not be in it any longer. Gathering chakra into her feet, she knelt down and then leapt upward. She did not manage to make the complete distance, but she hit the side of Hokage Tower and began running up toward the roof. It did not take long, and she grabbed onto the roofing in order to swing herself up and then flipped into the correct position, feet hitting the roof without a sound.
 
Lifting her head, she instantly took sight of the moon. It hung high in the sky, casting a nightly glow over the land, allowing her to turn her head and see much of the village in every direction. Smirking, her eyes filled with a small lust, looking at all the homes that were spread out within the village. All the victims that she could easily kill from right there, and they'd allowed her into the village. They were fools. Had she still been in the village she'd come from, she would have either killed someone like her, or imprisoned them for major questioning. Not give them free room and board, or do whatever they wanted within the village with only one person to watch over them. She knew, though, that Temari had truly wished to help her, for she was not exactly sure what she'd done in order to allow her such freedom.
 
Shaking her head, she pushed down on the feeling rising inside of her, the small wicked grin on her lips disappearing as she sighed. Killing was something that came second nature to her, it was not something that was foreign or unknown, but she was not the type to kill people who could not protect themselves. During the time that she'd been tied down to her Clan, she'd done mission after mission where she'd kill them while they were sleeping, it was easier for the mission, but this was no mission. She often thought that life was a mission, but it was her mission, and she formed it how she wanted to. She would not kill people who were simply sleeping and not able to fight against her, for there was no fun in that.
 
Just like she would not kill Naruto while he slept. She did not understand why, she did not even know why, but she did not like him. She tried to make herself like everyone that she came in contact with so that it was easier to get close to them and kill them, but she could not bring herself to even tolerate him. Well, she tried to make others think she liked them, when usually she was indifferent to anything that they actually did or said. Sometimes she would find one that she would be kind to because she wanted to be, but they were killed faster than normal. Naruto… Naruto was someone whose death she wanted to draw out when and if she killed him, since she was not sure what she was going to do with this village yet. She wanted to kill him more than she'd wanted to kill anyone, besides a few choice others, and she was not entirely sure if that was her want, or that of the voices.
 
She hated the fact that it had an influence on her life. It was easy to ignore it until the lust became too much and she used a forbidden jutsu and killed, allowing their blood to run over her flesh. It was easy to ignore if she wanted to, but it was something that continued to annoy her. It had almost made her go against her honor, and she did not like that at all. It would be some time before she actually gave into its wish and bathed in the blood of others, no matter how much she wanted it, for it was becoming more annoying than usual. It had controlled her, and she did not like to be controlled.
 
Turning her attention away from her thoughts, she faced the moon. She blocked out everything else, another urge coming to the front of her mind. It was much different from the need that she'd become accustomed to, but it was an urge that she would indulge in. Rearing her head back, she went to do just that, when she felt something slide along the expanse of her leg. Stilling, she snapped her head around, and then stiffened when she was surprised, not understanding where the attack was coming from. Twisting her head around, her eyes wide, she growled in displeasure, ready to kill whoever was attacking her in such a strange way.
 
She nearly screamed when she felt more wrap around her legs, keeping her in place as she tried to pull away. Her hands came up to begin making signs that she knew so well, and then more of the substance wrapped around her hands, wrenching them apart. Snarling, Kagome whipped her head around, her eyes settling onto the only place someone could hide on top of Hokage Tower and cursed herself for being so foolish. She was defenseless in the hands of an unknown enemy, for with her growing need her senses were in disarray and she could not tell if the person was familiar to her or not.
 
Unable to beat her hands against the substance keeping her in place, Kagome reared her head back and did the only thing she could think of. She roared. She felt something beating at her from the inside, the voice telling her that if she let it out it could help her, but she was still annoyed with it. She held it down as best she could, and then finally lowered her head, her eyes adjusting better to the moonlight, and she looked down at what was holding her, since she had not been struck in the back yet. Her eyes narrowed, and she snarled again, “Sand.”
 
Almost as soon as she'd said it, the sand retreated from her, placing her back onto the ground to her surprise once again. She hated the fact that this enemy was able to surprise her twice in so little time, but she noticed that the sand around her hands holding them apart was still there, enabling her from using her jutsu. She growled once again, pulling and bringing it up in order to try and bite through it, but found it was solid around her wrists. This enemy would die for surprising her so easily, especially when they attacked at just the right time. She'd kill them, bath in their blood, and then escape from this ridiculous place where there was obviously an enemy at every turn.
 
They wanted to kill her, but she'd kill them before they got the chance.
 
“You're rather loud. You'll wake everyone if you continue at the pace you're going.” Kagome looked around, her anger making her lose sight that she might know the voice. Growling again, she tried to determine where the person was speaking from, when he stepped out from his hiding place. Her growl stopped, her eyes locking onto the color of his hair, her breathing beginning to soften while her anger disappeared. Her need was reminded to her, and she had to stop herself from suddenly lashing out when finally the sand around her wrists sank away and returned to the gourd resting on the back of the man in front of her.
 
Panting through her nose, slightly glad to know that she was not actually being attacked, though she did not exactly dislike the thought, she allowed her stance to change. “Gaara-sama,” she sighed. “I had thought for a moment that you were someone sent to kill me.” She scowled, trying to step around the need inside of her by being concerned. “I would have hurt you if I could have.”
 
“It seems to me that you were not aware enough to even tell I was here,” Gaara replied. “You wouldn't have been able to hurt me before I kill you if I was here for an assassination mission. Letting your guard down in unfamiliar territory can and will get you killed.”
 
“Underestimating an opponent can get you killed,” she snorted.
 
He shook his head and allowed her to come closer as she began walking toward him. Giving her an uninterested gaze, he watched as she sank to the ground, bringing both legs up at an angle in order to rest her arms on her knees. Shaking his head lightly, he asked, “Shouldn't you be resting?”
 
“Shouldn't you?” she asked.
 
“I have not slept in years unless forced to,” Gaara said.
 
She nodded, understanding. She'd once known someone who was not able to sleep and had not for many years unless it was forced upon them. Of course, they would always try to make someone believe them that they were fine, but the sleep, as unwanted as it was, usually helped them in order to function better. “I see,” she said. “One day without rest will not harm me, though. If I am lucky, I shall sleep in tomorrow, or perhaps I shall wake early to go to wherever the training grounds are within this village.” She waved her hand, and looked up to find that he had simply crossed his arms and turned his head up slightly to look at the moon, almost like he was ignoring her. With his bored expression, she wasn't exactly sure if she should be offended or ignore it.
 
He was slightly amazed that she would sleep at all in such a strange place. He doubted she'd ever stepped foot into Konohagakure, unless that explained her dislike for Naruto, but that didn't explain Naruto's dislike for her. There was something deeper than simply emotions that drove them to glare at one another, even when they'd both seemed to fight against whatever it was that caused them to suddenly go at one another. He didn't think it would be right to take Naruto off the mission so early, though, for that might make him think that he'd done something wrong and pout forever. He didn't like feeling guilty, and usually Naruto's bad mood, whenever he was in one, caused him to think he'd done something wrong. Naruto had saved his life; it was only right to try and do something in order to repay that, even though Naruto would probably tell him it was all right to just be his friend.
 
Still, the woman was intriguing. Everyone got along with Naruto, yet she did not get along with him and he did not get along with her. They acted like they were enemies on a battlefield, instead of simply two people who'd come into contact with each other. They acted like they were mortal enemies that would forever be hurting one another, yet from what he knew, they'd never met. What was it that caused them to do such a thing? Was she perhaps a demon vessel as well? It was a possibility, though he didn't have anything to prove that—he'd keep it to himself until he was positive, for it was not truly important until something happened to release the demon if she had one.
 
Turning his head so that he could watch her watch the moon, he blinked a few times. “Why is it you came here once you realized you could not sleep?” he asked.
 
She frowned, “Why do you wish to know?” Her eyes turned blank, hiding her emotions as she had learned to when she was little. She'd learned because she'd come to know that showing ones emotions only got the people around her into trouble. When she'd cared, they'd gotten hurt, so she'd learned how to hide it until she didn't care anymore. “If you're trying to get information out of me like Temari tried to earlier, I'll have you know that though you're the Kazekage of Sunagakure, I will not give you anything you wish to know. It is my business, no one needs to be putting their nose into it.”
 
“You're very strange,” Gaara commented. “I do not believe I have ever met a woman who is able to sound calm yet insult me at the same time.”
 
“I didn't—” she stopped when she noticed the command in his eyes.
 
“Though you may not have meant to, you did. I was not trying to get information out of you; I wished to know why you came up here. To anyone else it might seem like you were either doing something that would harm this village, or trying to escape because of something they could find out about you.” Gaara stared at her, “However, I care not either way.”
 
“I apologize, Gaara-sama,” she mumbled. “I came to simply gaze at the moon.”
 
He stared once more, and then blinked, nothing more. She watched as he finally simply turned his head away, his mouth sealed tight, and she didn't think he'd say anything else. He didn't, which didn't surprise her. However, she stiffened a bit when he lowered himself to the rooftop beside her, bringing up one knee and bending the other in order to settle his hand onto his one knee bent off the roof. Giving him a small smile, she turned her head back toward the moon, her eyes though blank seeming to twinkle with an emotion only understood by herself. For it was comforting to know that someone was blunt to her, instead of lying like everyone who'd once foolishly called themselves her family.
 
“I will accompany you later to the training grounds,” Gaara stated. He glanced at her from the corner of his eye.
 
She nodded. “It doesn't matter to me. It would be good to have someone to spar with. Though I'll probably feel childish doing so, I have not done it since I was very young.”
 
“Hm.”
 
Yes, the woman was intriguing. Very intriguing.
 
OoO
 
He woke slowly, frowning slightly at the thought of having that woman around him once more. He didn't know why she snapped at him and he snapped back. He'd wanted to be her friend when he'd first met her, maybe even help her with whatever was wrong with her, but things had gone downhill, quickly. Naruto wasn't sure if he'd ever be able to get her to become his friend, or if he even wanted her to be, especially after the day before with Hinata. He'd wanted to speak with Hinata, but she'd gotten into the conversation like she was simply trying to find a reason to put him down. It annoyed him and even Kyuubi growled a little each time something rude came out of her mouth.
 
He was happy to have the fox so quiet for once, since he'd merely snicker once in a while and tell him that things would come to pass sooner or later and he'd tell him after something exciting happened the reason why it happened. He'd never thought, for a moment, that he'd be happy and slightly sad at the fact that Kyuubi was so quiet. He liked it, but it was strange to not have someone to constantly talk to, since Kyuubi remained consistently silent whenever he tried to bring up a question.
 
Blinking his eyes slowly, he stretched a bit. He wondered when the insults would start coming, unless Kagome wasn't up yet, and then glanced around. He looked over it until the sun gleamed off it, and then he turned his eyes toward the weapon sticking out of the opposite wall. Blinking a few times, he squinted his eyes in order to make sure he was actually seeing what he thought he was. Then, Naruto's eyes widened and his mouth fell open. That's a kunai! He stilled, knowing that he hadn't thrown it there unless he was suddenly doing sleep missions or something, or he'd forgotten about something from the night before.
 
Standing quite suddenly, and hearing his stomach growl, Naruto looked around the room. His eyes shifted left and right, widening with each moment that he didn't find what he was looking for, and then he opened his mouth to scream. “WHERE IS SHE!” he shouted, and knew he'd probably startled half the people within Hokage Tower. Still, he'd lost a possibly dangerous person. Tsunade was going to have his hide for this!
 
Eyes darting back and forth, Naruto nodded his head, and then rushed out of the room, leaving it unoccupied. He hadn't thought that it might be good to grab the kunai and take it with him, thus allowing it to remain in the wall, shining in the light of the sun that came through the curtains and filled the room with light. A single deadly weapon that showed just how lucky a man had been while staying in a room with a woman who could be and was dangerous. Naruto, though, did not know that, and decided it was unimportant.