Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stains of the Heart ❯ Chapter Sixteen ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Sixteen
 
“Are you sure its safe to let her do that?”
 
Sasuke glanced over at the Suna-nin once more, before snorting. “I would have put a stop to it if she had shown any hostility toward the girl,” he stated.
 
“Besides, Kankurou,” Temari muttered, “I doubt that she's going to hurt a little girl.”
 
Kankurou scowled, “I'm starting to think that you like her, Temari. I mean, seriously, have you forgotten what she looked like when we found her? She was covered in blood, none of which was her own. You don't know anything about her except that she might like to get into fights—none of us do, she might get a kick out of killing little children.”
 
“I know more about her than you do!” Temari hissed.
 
“That doesn't mean that you should be defending everything that she does!” Kankurou snapped. “She could be a serious threat, and not just to that little girl.”
 
“As if I didn't know that!” Temari replied in a harsh tone. She was not sure what Kankurou had against Kagome, but he should realize that she was a good influence on Gaara's love life. Or, at least, she could end up being one. He was just thinking about himself, and how many ways he could die, instead of the happiness of his siblings.
 
“Then maybe you should try being a little more suspicious of the people you don't know,” Kankurou continued. “That woman could end up killing you, Temari. But you keep giving her more credit than she needs—you don't know anything useful about her. Where she came from, what she's really like, or anything else that might give anyone a clue to her personality and talents.”
 
“Shut up, Kankurou,” Temari snapped back. “We'll probably be returning to Suna soon, and then you won't have to worry about it, alright. So, shut up and leave me alone until we go.”
 
Kankurou huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. He then took a glance at the woman as she played with the young Konohagakure girl. The girl had somehow gotten her to push her on the swing, and though the woman looked slightly uncomfortable, she was pushing the girl higher and higher each time the girl asked her to. The woman looked out of place, unsure of what she should be doing; yet she put her foot down and continued to please the girl as she laughed and cheered. He was actually rather surprised, since he had learned from Temari, Gaara, and a few others about how she responded to others, so he was not expecting to find her playing with a little girl.
 
In fact, he had to wonder how it came about that she began playing with the girl in the first place. It had not taken them long to go after her once she ran—well, for Gaara to turn and follow, while Temari smiled and nudged him in order to make him acknowledge how strange his younger brother was acting once they started off after him. However, though the woman had managed to travel surprisingly fast—and far—without chakra, it had not taken them very long to pinpoint the spot where she had stopped and find her. So, how did it come about that she began to play with a young girl who was talking about one day being like her?
 
Kankurou snorted, I doubt that girl would like to be like her if she ever found out the amount of blood that's covered her body.
 
Temari watched as Kankurou frowned deeply, and shook her head at him. Kagome was not that bad, even if she did have a small problem with other people—especially groups from what it seemed. True, she seemed to have a small problem with avoiding large amounts of blood from being dumped onto her, but there could be a number of reasons for that—her Clan, for example, could have special customs about how to honor a fallen enemy. However, despite those flaws, she was a very intelligent and quick-witted woman, one that had caught the attention of their emotionally stunted brother, even.
 
Sasuke snorted, turning his head away as the blonde scowled deeply at her brother. His eyes traveled back to the woman as she followed the little girl, who had jumped from the swing, as she raced toward the jungle gym. She was shouting that she wanted to show her how good she was getting at her chakra control, and the woman appeared to be concerned for a moment when the girl climbed up on top of the metal bars rising from the ground. However, she did not move to stop the girl, which seemed to encourage the younger as she stepped steadily onto the thin beam, and then took a few steps forward. It appeared that the girl did have good control over her chakra, but he took a step forward when she almost slipped.
 
Then, like slow motion, the girl's chakra faltered, and she squeaked, as she was unbalanced. Sasuke almost moved in order to catch her, when Kagome appeared on top of the metal structure, her hand holding onto the girl's arm to steady her. She did not need chakra to hold herself there, and simply stared down at the girl as she smiled up at her with a wide grin, thanks spilling forth from her mouth.
 
OoO
 
“You should be more careful,” Kagome scowled. “It is not safe to practice such without proper knowledge on how to control your chakra.”
 
“But Kagome-chan caught Rin!” the girl cheered. “Rin did not need to worry, because Rin knew that Kagome-chan would catch her should Rin fall.”
 
“You should not be so certain of things you do not know of, either,” Kagome huffed. She released the girl's arm, and turned her head to the side. However, as she flicked her eyes over to the girl as she once again began walking across the thin bar, she realized that the girl did not care that she had dismissed her.
 
“Rin knew!” Rin yelled. “Kagome-chan is confused, but one day you'll see that Rin means it when Rin says she wants to be Kagome-chan's friend. Rin would do anything for Kagome-chan if it would make Kagome-chan happy. Just like Rin will do anything for Kohaku!”
 
“I have no need of such,” Kagome snorted. She turned her head, allowing the words to echo and pound into the minds of those who could hear it. The girl might not understand, but that was merely because she was young. One day she would, and when that day came, she would find that the world was cruel and unforgiving, and the only thing that could truly be trusted was herself and the skill she had developed.
 
“Kagome-chan will see one day,” Rin smiled. “Rin is merely doing what Rin believes is best, and that is giving Kagome-chan the best things in life—friendship and love. For that is what you need to be happy!”
 
“Foolish,” Kagome muttered.
 
“On that day,” Rin continued, “Kagome-chan will know what its like to be happy. And Rin will be happy that day, too, because Rin wants Kagome-chan to be happy. Rin wants everyone she cares for to be happy, so Rin will do everything she can in order to make sure it happens. Just like how Rin will make Kagome-chan see that she can be happy without hurting others.”
 
She scowled, her eyes watching the girl as she continued with her small exercise. For a moment she almost wished that the girl's words could be true, but she knew that that was not what she needed to be happy. No, for she had often had eyes boring into her back with hatred, only for her to turn and find happy, oh so fake, eyes staring at her in greeting. She had often heard words of praise, those who were afraid and quivering for their own lives, spilling forth words that they thought would please her for a few hours—a few meaningless hours that might spare their life. She had felt despise press down upon her from all sides, even when she had been too young to truly understand.
 
No, she needed only what she had. Nothing, no one, could make her happier than she already was.
 
If you can consider that happy, stupid girl.”
 
She ignored the voice, turning instead to watch the girl as she continued to travel across the thin beam. Then, annoyed with herself for paying so much attention to one little girl, she turned her head toward the others that had followed her. Her eyes swept over the Uchiha watching her closely, obviously as curious as she was about Rin, and watched as Temari and Kankurou quickly turned their heads after glaring at one another. Her eyes settled then on the Kazekage, standing tall and proud in the dying light, his face shadowed and his hair appearing to be on fire. However, she knew that his eyes were watching her, and her own narrowed as she wondered what he was thinking.
 
Probably what it would be like should he breed with you,” a chuckle echoed into her head. “Though, he might want to watch for that blade in his back should he decide to fulfill his lust with you. Shame there is no one to warn him.
 
I will not have to worry about it.
 
Stop lying to yourself, stupid girl,” the voice hissed. “You will not be able to hold your instincts down once you have had a taste. You might think you are unique, but in truth you are very much like me. You are far too curious—you will try what you have long denied yourself with your little Kazekage, and then you will go running back for more.
 
You know nothing of me, she snarled.
 
Foolish for you to think such, especially when I have always been here,” the voice hissed. “I will always be here, until the day you die. And sooner or later, just like how you will fuck your Kazekage, you will let me out. When that happens, it will be a while before you even know yourself.
 
Doubtful, Kagome replied.
 
A small tug pulled her away from her thoughts, and she twisted her head down in order to stare into the wide brown eyes staring up into her own. A smile blossomed onto the girl's lips the moment she connected them together, an eyebrow twitching upward in question. Her face remained neutral, even as she moved her eyes to the fingers gripping the edge of her sleeve, wondering why she had not stopped the contact before it happened. She was far too distracted, obviously—she blamed it on that blasted voice that would not leave her be.
 
“Kagome-chan, will you show Rin something?” Rin asked.
 
She frowned at the girl, wondering what in the world she could want. There were many things that she could show her, and many things that she would not. The girl could not know of anything she was skilled in, no one here could, and even if she had some strange ability that allowed her to, she would deny it. So, it was a rather broad question to ask, and the girl looked very hopeful for her to show her something. “You must be specific,” she replied. “And even then—”
 
“Rin knows,” Rin smiled. “Kagome-chan is like a shadow, hidden and deceitful of what you might hide. But, Rin does not want much, simply for you to show Rin something using these bars. Something for Rin to practice from seeing, so that maybe someday, Rin will be strong enough to do it herself.”
 
“Anything?”
 
“Big or small,” Rin grinned, showing her with her hands.
 
“Only once,” Kagome stated. The girl smiled brightly, releasing her sleeve and waiting to see what she would do. In truth, she was not quite sure what she was going to do, since she had never been asked to show her skills for entertainment. A little thing, something that did not require the use of chakra, though the girl would no doubt use it when she first began to try.
 
Rin's eyes widened when Kagome knelt, her body shifting and then pushing upward in order to conquer gravity for a short while. Her eyes watched her twist in the air, sailing over her head and falling back down with her arms outstretched. Then, her fingers wrapped around a thin bar held tightly between the two that made up the main structure. Her arms bent, making the impact lighter, as her hair and jacket fell toward the ground, slipping between the bars and falling down toward the ground. Rin gave a cheer, as Kagome stared her in the eye, her arms straightening out as she moved her legs lightly in a walking motion.
 
Kagome almost rolled her eyes at the girl's excitement. It was a simple feat, something that she had mastered long ago, and did without really thinking about. However, an emotion swelled in her chest as the Rin cheered her on, waiting for her to continue. She did not understand it, nor did she ignore it, as she dropped toward the ground, and quickly pushed herself back into the air. A small twist to place herself back on her feet, and she landed neatly on a thin bar, her back to the girl. She then reached up to sweep her hand through her hair, returning it to its original state, before pulling at her jacket a single time to force it back into the proper position.
 
“You're amazing, Kagome-chan!”
 
She twisted her head around to the girl, and said, “I suggest you do not try that until you have mastered your control. And perhaps on something softer.” She looked down at her gloves, flexing her hands a few times, for the sudden impact had shot a small amount of pain through her arm. However, it was a small thing, and easily ignored as she watched the girl smile brightly up at her. Besides, the pain was her own fault for having taken so long to bend her arms upon impact.
 
“Rin will be careful,” the girl smiled brightly at the woman's back. “Because Rin would not want to make Kagome-chan sad.”
 
Swinging her head around, her eyes caught sight of the girl's, wondering what she knew and how she knew it. The girl's pupils were stark white, but it appeared to be a trick of the light as the sun finally faded away until only the clouds reflected the few rays managing to swept toward the land. Kagome narrowed her eyes to slits, wondering what this girl could possibly be as she continued to smile at her. She was obviously of Konoha from the symbol on her back, and wanted to be a shinobi from what she said, but what else was she that she stated such things with such confidence.
 
As if she knew what she said would occur.
 
“Rin wants Kagome-chan to be happy forever!” Rin grinned. “Forever and ever!”
 
Again, she growled, “I have no need of such. I am a shinobi; my purpose is to complete the missions given to me without leaving any hint of what occurred behind. My life is of bloodshed and death. I have no time for happy endings or feelings that get in the way of my goal.”
 
Rin's smile faded for a moment, and her eyes seemed to change once more. “Kagome-chan, you'll understand one day that you do not need to kill to be free—to be happy—to live life without being chained down or hated. You'll understand that there is a person who wants to be happy as much as you do, but only together can you truly achieve such a thing. But you, you have to make the first move.”
 
She knew that the others had not heard the soft words that echoed in her ears after she spoke. However, it did not matter as her fingers twitched, wondering how much of her life this child knew. She was not normal, it was clearly shown in how quickly she had decided to attach herself to her—she was a killer, a shinobi, cold to the heart and bone. Now, though, that fact was made even more clear as the girl continued to speak such strange sayings, asking things of her that others never had or stating things as if they were facts.
 
“The world is not set in stone,” Rin continued just as softly, “but you have to be the one to find your happiness. You have to listen and grasp onto what you really want. Rin knows, she has saw.”
 
The words caused more questions to spring into her mind. She searched the girl's face, noticing the hard expression that had covered her eyes for the faintest of seconds, before it was gone, and the sweet girl with the somewhat loud voice was left behind. Kagome did not understand, but something told her that this girl knew more about her than she might herself. Things that were not in the present, but further in her life—the future that had yet to come. And for a tiny moment that sent a shiver of fear down her spine, for there was no telling what other strengths the girl behind her might be hiding.
 
No telling what secrets she might know of her—what she might be able to tell that blasted Hokage.
 
The threat was seen, and Kagome felt her fingers twitch again, ready to spring and end the life of the one that might become a threat to her existence. She would not die, in some way she would live on, but she would not take the chance. However, as she prepared herself to move, to destroy the girl before she managed to do so to her, she felt something strange in her chest twist painfully. That pain was what stopped her from moving, wondering why this girl would walk away from death by her hand, when it was clear that she could bring death down upon her.
 
Her name, so brightly spoken, echoed into her mind, the girl's voice clearly attached. The adoration in her eyes, even when it was clear that she had not known her for more than a few minutes after it was spoken, sprang forth like a beacon. And for some reason, the girl's smiling face was what stopped her from taking her life. It was not unlike how the Kazekage managed to stomp down her bloodlust when she had felt the need to kill something, but different in a small way. The girl's bright eyes and loving smile told her in some manner that she meant her no harm—she would not give away secrets that she had swimming in her head.
 
Who is this girl?
 
A Seer,” echoed back to her. For a moment she was amazed that she had received an answer from the voice, instead of a demand to be released or fuck the Kazekage. “And it seems that you have become her new play-toy. It's actually rather amusing, since this is just showing how much more you are like me.
 
She snorted. There was nothing similar between her and the blasted voice that continued to haunt her mind. She was in control; it demanded that she give that up to it. She was strong, it was weak—it was shown by the fact that the one who wished to mess with her mind would not come out of hiding to meet their end. You are mistaken, she replied; because there is nothing that could ever make me like you.
 
Stupid girl,” the voice growled. “Soon enough you will see why I say such things, and at that moment you will see that you are merely an inferior, human copy of myself.
 
The words could have made her laugh, but she was pulled away from the conversation with the annoying voice when she realized the girl was standing behind her. She mentally scowled at herself and the voice for having not realized how close the strange girl had gotten. However, her anger faded away when she felt the girl take ahold of her hand, her smile directed up at her softly. There was an emotion in her eyes, one that she had seen between people, but never directed at herself—love they called it. The emotion caused her to search the girl's eyes, noticing that her pupils had indeed changed to a stark white as she stared up at her.
 
“Rin wants Kagome-chan to be happy,” Rin whispered once more, “because Kagome-chan has always been with Rin when she is lonely or scared. Kagome-chan gives Rin strength when she has none, and Kagome-chan has always shown Rin how to face any fear that she might have. Rin loves Kagome-chan, and does not want to see Kagome-chan alone or hated any more. Rin wants Kagome-chan to be happy.”
 
A sensation built in her chest at that moment, as a set of tears washed over Rin's cheeks. Kagome pulled her hand away from the girl's and set it atop her head, offering her comfort for a single second. She was not sure what this girl had seen, what she knew of her, but her words struck a cord inside of her. She had seen her life and did not hate her as so many others had before she killed them for their ignorance. For that she deserved her respect, even if she was young and had a single dream to become a shinobi and protect her brother.
 
OoO
 
“What is happening up there?” Kankurou asked, confused by the sudden affection the woman was giving the girl standing next to her. It was hard to hear anything with the lapping of the wind over his ears, and the distance that they had set between them. However, to see a woman that he had seen covered in blood touching a young, impressionable girl with such a tender hand was not what he was expecting to see. It probably surprised him more than he believed anything else could have.
 
“Well, it looks like she's not hurting her,” Temari replied sarcastically.
 
Kankurou turned to scowl at his elder sibling. “Shut up, Temari. I was only concerned, since we know next to nothing about her,” he hissed.
 
“Maybe next time you should try putting your concern somewhere else,” Temari glared back. Her stance shifted, and she smirked when her brother went to protect his privates. “After all, there's no telling how many women might want to get a piece of you after you try hitting on them.”
 
“You're the one that got me drunk, Temari!” Kankurou shouted, his face turning red.
 
“And you're the one that turned Matsuri on me,” Temari snapped. “It's only fair that I find a few ways to return the favor! Besides, I wasn't talking about that one incident, Kankurou! I was talking about the next one that I'm going to hit you with, bastard!”
 
Sasuke glared at them, turning his head just a bit in order to put the full force of his glare on them. Their yelling was drawing the attention of both females atop the jungle gym, stopping the conversation that he had hoped to catch a small piece of. However, it appeared that the world was against him; since the most he had heard while straining his ears against the wind was that the girl seemed to hold a lot of affection for a woman she had just met. That was a bit odd, but he had hoped that their conversation would continue enough to where he would have caught onto why.
 
A single glance from their younger brother shut them both up, as his aqua colored eyes shifted over their forms for a single moment. Sasuke was almost grateful toward the Kazekage for having done so, but he returned his attention to where the woman had jumped from the bars, followed more slowly by the girl. Odd, but almost as soon as the girl hit the ground, she took the woman's hand into her own, smiling up at her as if they had connected in a way unknown to the outside world. Even odder, the woman he had seen kill without mercy allowed the act, taking a small glance at the girl before stepping forward with her hanging off her right side.
 
Also strange, Sasuke noticed, was that the wind had suddenly died down.
 
Gaara's thoughts were along the same lines, wondering at the strange shift in the wind. Suna was often hot and windy, but he had never experienced winds that increased and died the way they had since he had met the woman walking toward him. Wind was free and decided the path that the sand around Suna would take, but the wind he had experienced just a moment ago was not normal. And the strangeness of the wind was what caused him to search her body a bit more thoroughly for a moment with his eyes, wondering if the demon sealed inside her was a wind user like Shukaku.
 
A frown tugged at his lips, as he watched her move, her footing softer than he had remembered. Something had happened and was repeating itself in her mind, but for the life of him, he could not think of a single thing the blood-obsessed woman could be wondering about. She was a complex mess that continued to elude him, heightening his curious beyond what he had believed it could achieve within such a short amount of time—and never be stomped into the dirt, at least. However, whatever she was thinking of obviously dealt with what she had spoken of with the girl at her side, and he wondered what they could manage to pull from her.
 
This was something that he would need to discuss with Tsunade.
 
As they neared, Kagome finally turned her attention to the new attachment she had received. “Should you not be thinking of returning home? Even a village filled with shinobi is not an entirely safe place for a young girl,” she stated. A part of her wanted to deny being concerned over the girl's wellbeing, but another part of her disagreed. This girl was truly the first person to show and tell her that she cared in a way that she had always seen between family members, and that part of her delighted in that information.
 
“But Rin is safe as long as she is with Kagome-chan, isn't she?”
 
The large brown eyes staring up at her innocently caused her to pause. All her life she had been alone, isolated even when so many related to her had surrounded her from all sides. Never had she had the responsibility of someone's life placed into her hands, because the fools had known all along that she had been the reason for the disappearance of their family members. Another gone, another set of eyes glaring heatedly into her back whenever she walked by, so the thought of them placing someone's life into her hands was laughable. Even the leader of their village had refused to give her anything that did not involve assassination or transporting simple things, such as merchandise.
 
But, despite that, this girl wanted to place her life willingly on her shoulders. She believed that no matter what, she would protect her. A part of her knew it, too, because it was screaming that this one little girl, who had somehow gotten underneath her skin so easily, was worth protecting. She deserved to have her strength to guide her, to keep her safe, when others only deserved to die beneath it. And, her mind whispered, she deserved it because she would most likely be the only person to ever know her and still care.
 
“Ye—”
 
Rin!” a voice came from the right. “Rin, I've been looking everywhere for you!”
 
Rin's head turned swiftly, her eyes and smile brightening, as she spoke, “Kohaku!”
 
The brown haired boy raced forward, his eyes worried and suspicious of the elder shinobi surrounding the young girl within their group. However, fear gripped him when he realized that within the group was not only Uchiha Sasuke, remaining Uchiha within Konohagakure, but Subaku no Gaara, Sunagakure's Kazekage, and his siblings. He gulped quietly, his eyes watching them sharply, as he reached out for his sister's hand, “Rin.”
 
Rin's smile faded, and she took a step forward, “It's ok, Kohaku. They won't hurt us. And if they tried, Kagome-chan would protect us. Wouldn't you, Kagome-chan?” She turned her head to the older woman, a smile blossoming back onto her lips.
 
Kohaku's mouth fell open at the name, his eyes snapping up toward the forbidding woman his sister was hanging from. Her deep blue eyes were staring down at him emotionlessly, and she made no move to answer his sister's question, but that did not deter Rin. However, he gulped even more noticeably as he stared up at the kunoichi, because he had always known Rin was special, but he had never guessed that what she saw was real. But, standing before him was the woman that Rin often spoke of, telling him about her accomplishments, her goals, her fearlessness, and how he should try to be more like her.
 
Staring at her, though, he was not quite sure if he wished to be anything like her.
 
Gaara's eyes moved over the girl's face, and then up to Kagome's. Yes, this was something that Tsunade should know of before the night was over. And even if he had to track her down or wake her from sleep, she would know of it. After all, though it might seem cruel, there was no telling how much the girl hanging from the elder shinobi could be able to tell them of her. And, if she proved to know too much for one of her age, it might be best for the village if they investigated.
 
“Rin?” Kohaku whispered.
 
“There's no need to be scared, Kohaku,” Rin pouted. “Rin and Kagome-chan are here. Rin will make sure you're safe, and Kagome-chan will make sure you're safe. There's nothing to be afraid of.”
 
“Rin, I think its time to go home,” Kohaku replied, straightening himself. It was ridiculous—his father would be ashame of him—to be afraid of shinobi that were obviously here to protect the village and its inhabitants. The woman might not be, but the others were meant to protect the village, and if she decided to be something other than a hero, as Rin often saw her as, they would be able to step in and protect them—though, he hissed at himself, he should have been able to protect Rin on his own.
 
“Kohaku?”
 
“Rin, father was not happy when you didn't show up before nightfall,” Kohaku scowled. “And, if you don't want to get into trouble, I think it's best that we go now.”
 
Rin blinked, and turned her head down. “But, Kagome-chan…” she then looked up at her, sadness forming in her eyes.
 
“I am perfectly capable of entertaining myself,” Kagome stated. “I do not need for you to continue trying to do such. You may as well go home to your family, and stop worrying about what will happen to me.”
 
“Rin understands,” Rin said after a moment. Then, slowly, she smiled again up at the elder woman, before allowing her hand to slip from hers. “Rin will wait for our next meeting, because Rin knows that absence makes the heart grow fonder.”
 
Kagome snorted. “The things you say are ridiculous.”
 
Temari's eyes flickered toward her at the hint of fondness in her voice. Looking at her eyes, she doubted that the other kunoichi even realized she had done so.
 
“Come on, Rin,” Kohaku demanded, grabbing hold of his sister's hand. He had always been tense while around other shinobi, but these high-powered chakra users were making his skin crawl. And he hated to admit it, but it was because he knew if any of them decided to become hostile that he would not be able to protect himself, let alone his defenseless sister. That was what making him even tenser than he normally was, and he wanted to get away from them.
 
Rin allowed herself to be pulled along, but she turned sideways in order to bring her hand up and wave back toward them. Her smile widened when she realized that Kagome's hand had lifted only a small amount, obviously giving her a silent farewell. “We'll see each other again real soon, Kagome-chan! Just let yourself follow your heart, and you'll find out that life isn't all that bad! There are things that can make you happy!” she shouted.
 
The voice chuckled inside her head, amused with the words that left the girl's mouth. “That child obviously has not seen much. Otherwise she would know that your life is filled with blood, blood, and more blood as death marks your path. Such a shame, too, she seems so sure of herself.
 
“Oh,” Rin's eyes brightened, “remember that he can't hurt you! He's apart of you now!”
 
And very faintly, as the girl waved back at her, she heard the voice growl in her mind.
 
Stupid child-Seer, what does she know about me?
 
OoO
 
KibaSin: So, I got lucky and unlucky for the month of February. Let me explain—I'm lucky because I have such great friends that let me use their internet as I work (baby sit), and I'm unlucky because the library where I update is down for repairs until about the middle of March. So, after this I might not be able to update anything until then, since my friend is moving away and this is one of the last times I can work for her. But, I do hope to have a few things done by the time the middle of March rolls around, so when that time comes, I should come out with a few chapters for a couple of things. Until then, farewell.
 
Kiba