Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wait, did that happen before? ❯ I am Tora, Hear Me Roar! Part 1 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 9: I am Tora, Hear Me Roar! Part 1

Negi and Sakura, who had not actually had the displeasure of performing D-Ranked missions before, had been less than pleased with their mission. Nevertheless, they both had the sense not to act up about it in front of the Hokage. They had Naruto for that.

Naruto, on the other hand, was fully aware of what D-Rank missions entailed, having memories of performing them before. So, much to the rest of his team's surprise, he had met the mission description not with outrage, but with resigned acceptance (much to Hokage Jiraiya's disappointment). As such, it was with irritation abounds that Team Five began their first mission together: looking for a lost cat.

Negi and Sakura assumed that the only reason that it ranked as a ninja mission at all was because the cat in question, Tora, belonged to the Fire Daimyo. They assumed that the mission would be simple, that the hardest part would be finding the cat. Naruto knew otherwise.

0o0o0

"So, how are you planning to do this?" Ryouga asked. His inquiry was met with silence as his students contemplated the surprisingly difficult task of finding one lone cat that didn't particularly want to be found somewhere inside the massive village that was Konoha. Or rather, it would have been if one of his students wasn't a time-traveling cheater.

Instead, his inquiry was immediately met with a cry of "Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!" In an instant, the whole block was filled to the brim with hundreds of shadow clones. "We'll find him!" they cried as they dashed off, brutally murdering Ryouga's plans to turn the mission into a lesson on gathering intelligence.

0o0o0

Using the swarm of shadow clones, Naruto was able to locate the cat in under five minutes. This was roughly two minutes longer than it took for the team to lose track of Ryouga (who accidentally wondered off with one of Naruto's shadow clones), leaving them without the jounin's support for the mission. However, the mission seemed straightforward enough, so Team Five continued without him. Moments later, they faced their target. They then repeatedly demonstrated that they were no match for the Fire Daimyo's house cat. Every time they got near him, he bolted away at a speed that made Negi seem like an Akimichi, and whenever they managed to surround him, he would manage to somehow slip between them. And on the handful of times they actually managed to grab him, within minutes Tora would be free again while his momentary captor would be covered in scratches and bite wounds, and shadow clones couldn't keep him restrained for more than a few seconds before being dispelled. All in all, Team Five was not enjoying their first D-Rank mission.

0o0o0

Meanwhile, deep within the bowels of her secret underground base, the evil witch Rita Repulsa watched the antics of Team Five via her magical crystal ball. "Oh, this is positively delicious! The Red Ranger and her teammates can't even capture a single house cat without their jounin! ...Hmm..." A look of concentration passed over Rita's face, only to be replaced with a wicked grin as the image of Tora appeared in the crystal ball. "I sense a great malevolence within this animal; hatred and resentment toward humans, and especially toward ninjas. Yes, this is perfect!" Raising her magical staff, she pointed the end of it toward her crystal ball. "Tora! I bestow upon you the power of the bakeneko! The monster cat of legend!" A blast of magical power traveled from her staff to her crystal ball, and immediately, the form of Tora began to shift within it. "NOW GO! AND DESTROY KONOHA!"

0o0o0

After buying "Tora Gloves" from a nearby store at Negi's suggestion (apparently, Tora escaped often enough and was enough of a problem to catch that shopkeepers started marketing thick work gloves to new genin teams as being "Tora Gloves"), Team Five set a trap for the horrible cat. Naruto planted a few henged shadow clones around a nearby park. The team then did what they could to herd Tora into it. Fortunately, they were successful, and the cat entered the park.

Keeping their distance, the group watched as Tora made his way into a sandbox, looked straight at them, then crouched. At which point the sandbox abruptly exploded into a puff of smoke. Immediately, three Narutos jumped out, clutching the startled cat. "Bad kitty! Sand boxes aren't your litter box!" With one Naruto restraining the cat's forelegs, another restraining his hind legs, and the third clutching the struggling cat himself, they made their way back to the group. "We got 'im, boss!"

As if on cue, Tora managed to bite the wrist of one of the clone restraining his forelegs behind its gloves, immediately causing it to dispel.

"Oh crap! Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!" As the cat started to dispel the clones that were holding it, dozens more appeared from thin air and dog-piled onto the cat. This was immediately followed by several bursts of smoke. Suddenly, there was a flash of light.

'Huh?,' thought every member of Team Five but Ryouga (who, incidentally, was wondering when Konoha had gotten so much snow). As the smoke cleared, it revealed Tora, who was now twice as big as before and rapidly expanding. The rogue house cat's brown fur darkened until it was black as ink, its claws extended until they were the size of butcher knives, and a dark mist seemed to rise around it.

'Oh crap,' thought Sakura, recognizing the signs of Rita's magic at work.

'Okay, I think I see why this is a ninja mission now,' thought Negi.

'Oh crap,' thought Naruto, recognizing that Tora was now big enough to eat him.

Within moments, Tora reached the size of a small house. Team Five stared in silence, then traded unsure looks with each other, not quite sure how to proceed. The gargantuan cat turned toward them and growled.

"RUN!"

Translation Index

Kage Bunshin no Jutsu - Shadow Clone Technique: A ninjutsu technique that creates solid clones. The clones are dispelled automatically after taking light damage. When a shadow clone dispels, its creator immediately receives all of the memories it acquired during its existence.

Bakeneko - Monster Cat: Bakeneko is a combination of the words bakemono, meaning ghost or monster, and neko, meaning cat. It is said that if a cat lives in one place for thirteen years and reaches more than eight pounds in weight, that cat can become a bakeneko. Bakeneko are monstrously large cats that feed on humans, then impersonate them and commit identity theft while they eat their neighbors, commit arson, and generally live as horrible people until the truth about them is discovered.