Naruto Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Lessons ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lessons
 
 
Rows and rows of thick foamy walls made up the twisted halls of time. If you touched the limitless walls you would feel the tremendous power pulsing. Chaos and darkness, peace and light, they were the blood of this hall. As a group of five walked down the smoky floors of the hallway, one girl hummed as she knocked at each door she passed. Blood red handles sizzled every time her knuckles rapped on them, hissing and gurgling as if annoyed by her antics. As they quickened their steps, their leader stopped abruptly at a tall silver door.
 
 
“What?” One of her companions asked, pausing and giving her a curious look. She didn't answer only put a hand on the door gently. It vibrated harshly against her soft palm. She shuffled closer, placing her ear on the smooth surface. There was a rush of whispers, circling and shoving against the other side, begging for acknowledgment.
 
 
“We're already late. Your husband will be worried.” A concerned voice prodded her. The leader hesitated for a second, pulling away from the door. She was right, the leader thought sliding her hand down. She turned only to be called back. Immediately she leaned her body into the door, ear turned to the sorrowful voices. The door vibrated harder demanding her attention.
 
 
…always one step back…I'll never catch up to him, never be his equal no matter how much I want to…
 
 
She closed her eyes, concentration on the strained voice that was muffled on the other side of the silver door.
 
 
…if I die would he even care? Would he even cry? No, he could never allow himself to be weak…
 
 
The leader lowered her eyes in sadness and continued listening.
 
 
…It consumes me to no end. The village is suffering because of my stubbornness. I should let him go…but I just can't…
 
 
Desperation, guilt, anger, sadness, hopelessness, self-doubt and weariness. She heard it all in this voice, so much behind the simple words uttered. Her hand wandered down onto the red doorknob. Locked.
 
 
“You can't.” One of her companions said sternly walking beside her and placing her hand on the door as if to keep it closed.
 
 
…who would come if we had switched places…I wonder who would come after me…
 
 
The leader looked to her companion with a wide-eyes anxious expression. “You heard it.” She said looking expectantly at the other girl.
 
 
“So? Its not our problem. They are in a different time and world, one we have no business in.” She said with fierily eyes.
 
 
The leader raised her brow and pulled out a delicate golden key from her bag she had strapped to her side. Her companions gasped.
 
 
“She's right. Don't do it. We can't mess with other worlds and mess with their problems. We have no right.” Her tallest companion took a step forward.
 
 
“We are one of the most powerful beings in the universe. We have a duty to help all those who need out help.” She insisted. Just as she was going to insert the key her party all stepped forward only to be halted in place. A shield raced around her leaving her protected and free to do as she pleased. The key fit into the door perfectly and twisted with ease. Soft light blanketed her face and fresh air made her hair flutter pleasantly.
 
 
“I'm going. If you want, you may join.” She spoke over her shoulder, blue eyes resting on each member of her group.
 
 
Her dark haired friend scowled. “Your husband won't be pleased with this decision. Especially in the—”
 
 
With a flutter of her hand, she turned back to the doorway. “I'll explain to him later. Are you coming?” She dropped the key back in her bag but with smug pleasure. From the corner of her eye she saw each one slump in defeat as they all entered the new world.
 
 
The door of time and space was embedded into a smooth mountain. As soon as everyone passed through the threshold, the door sealed itself. The only thing left was a faint dent where the keyhole was. As the leader looked around she noticed smoke in the distance.
 
 
“Campfire?” Someone asked and she agreed. The wind teased the grass that tickled her legs. A bird's chirping faded into the clear blue sky.
 
 
“Now what?” Her hot headed friend demanded with a hand in her hip. The leader frowned a little. She couldn't hear the voice any longer. Her blue eyes scanned the top of the trees only to land back on the plume of smoke that withered once the wind caught them.
 
 
“There. They can't be far.” She pointed. Her hot headed friend shifted but the leader stopped her for reaching that certain item. “No, we will proceed as we are.” She didn't want any unnecessary attention. After all, they were in a whole new world, a place foreign to them. If they could find the voice without being noticed then the better they would fare.
 
 
There was unease among her party but they did as she said and started down the mountain. The trail was wild but finally they reached the base and breathed easier.
 
 
“It's not far from here, but we don't know what or who is out there. Proceed cautiously.” Said the second in command. She looked around the in unease. “I feel like the trees have eyes.”
 
 
The leader took that seriously, suddenly feeling goosebumps steal down her arm. Their steps were quiet and they moved through the brush and trees as stealthily as they could. Everyone was alert, not to sure what to make of these unfamiliar surroundings. The life and magic of this world was strange and hard to adjust to. Her power source was flickering and trying to sync itself to the foreign world. She tried not to worry too much about it, but her source was finding it difficult to align itself. Maybe she should have thought this out more before barging through the silver door. The smell of smoke caught her senses and the second in command halted the group.
 
 
The wind whistled and everyone scattered. The leader hit the floor and rolled back. Projectiles were hurled and she dodged them quickly. Her heart hammered with adrenaline, her fighting spirit reawakened. She smiled a sly smile of anticipation as silence wafted through the trees. She could feel the tension and alertness. The leaves shifted over head and her ears perked. Her power source pulsed to life with a final irregular flutter, finally one with the surrounding power. The source burst, a dazzling silver light that settled into her skin, her soul. Her smile widened and she stood her full height. She was quicker now, more in tune with her opponent. There were three of them. She flipped, spinning to a tree branch before a shuriken landed where she once stood. They were good she thought dashing behind the trunk.
 
 
“Hum.” She found herself smiling even more. Her top cloak of white and pink dropped to the ground and she jumped three branches away just as the soft, heavy fabric fluttered only to be skewered by more shuriken and kunai. They were coming from the west and south, probably circling. So if I'm right…they should be coming my way anytime. She placed herself behind a larger branch the reached above her chin, tucking herself in its shadow. The wind shifted again, her eyes followed, catching sight of two. One in white and lavender, and one in black. They were too quick for her to see them clearly. She waited, feeling her companions creep in closer.
 
 
“What did you see?” She asked as two of them landed.
 
 
“Three, two male, one female.”
 
 
“And?”
 
 
Another spoke. “The girl is strange. She has talent and unusual eyes.”
 
 
“One male, smart. He's fast but sticks to the shadows. His aim could be better but he is not someone to take lightly.” Her soft voiced comrade said.
 
 
“And the last one?”
 
 
“He's the easiest to find in orange and black. Hot headed, but has a strange ability to make multiple copies of himself.”
 
 
Surprised the leader looked to her tall friend for more. “Did you fight?” She asked in concern looking over her from head to toe for injury.
 
 
She offered a half smile. “Actually one of his copies tripped and fell on a broken rock and then it just poofed away.”
 
 
“The leader raised her brow. Hum, interesting.
 
 
“What should we do?” Her second in command asked.
 
 
“Capture them.” She said softly without hesitation. They all nodded and scattered once again. The leader was confident in their skills, even if they didn't posses that power. The only thing she didn't know was how long it would take. Clouds were encroaching on the pretty day and a chill shot down her back. She wished she didn't have to sacrifice her comfy cloak, but she had on her light under cloak so she would have to make do. About forty minutes later, she was called down.
 
 
Delighted, she landed gracefully on the hard forest floor. The camp was a little thing with two neatly rolled beddings and one hastily made roll. The three attackers were all tied separately to trees. They were just children, perhaps fourteen or fifteen. The girl looked terrified, but calm at the same time. She was pretty with long black hair and pastel purple eyes. Next to her was a taller boy with a bored look on his face like he didn't care for the game he just lost. His thick hair was pulled into a bushy ponytail. Lastly a loud grumbling spiky haired blonde with blazing blue eyes. The leader smiled as he fidgeted, yelling and cursing. He couldn't see her face because of her hood, but she was smiling.
 
 
“Jeeze, he reminds me of you.” Her hot headed friend grumbled with an exaggerated annoyed sigh.
 
 
“Were they much trouble?” The leader asked, kneeling a safe distance away.
 
 
“No, just hard to keep them once we caught them. They would poof into a log or something so it was hard to get the real one.” Her tall friend said. “Plus, they used some funky skills that made their palms glow blue.” She rubbed her shoulder, looking pointedly at the silent girl. Interested the leader stood.
 
 
“Really? Create a box. I want to see for myself.” She said flicking her had in command.
 
 
“Are you sure?” Her soft spoken companion asked, pushing a strand of blue hair from her face.
 
 
“Yes, my crystal has synchronized.”
 
 
“Already?” Her second in command asked in an astonished voice.
 
 
“Yes. I'll be fine. Besides I need to see which one is the right one.”
 
 
“It has to be one of the boys. I thought I heard a male voice.” The leader looked to her friend.
 
 
“I know. Don't worry Raye. You'll see when this is over.” Her hot headed friend Raye hesitated, but nodded and each of the girls took their places raising their hands to their sides. Her crystal hummed, vibrated against her throat.
 
 
Red—green—blue—orange—their colors connected by their palms. She had to do this fast because with this box, they were sure to be noticed now.
 
 
“Be careful…Serenity.” Her second in command said softly. Serenity nodded and raised her arms. Discarded weapons floated around her and she cut each one of them free. They all shot up.
 
 
“Who are you?” The dark haired boy demanded. Hum, she hadn't expected that from them. Shouldn't they be attacking her? Well whatever, she would do it their way for now.
 
 
“My name is Serenity. You are?” She inquired politely.
 
 
“Hey, you attacked us! We don't need to answer your questions!” The blonde yelled and put his hands together. Serenity tensed as she felt his power build.
 
 
Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!” Soon there were four loud spiky haired blondes. So this is what Lita was telling me about. He made copies of himself. That was so cool! How did he do that? She summoned her long moon rod and took care of each charging boy. As soon as the rod struck her target, then just poofed into smoke. The original came charging from the smoke with a pulsing ball of blue energy in his hand. Wide-eyed Serenity held out her own hand and caught it. It spun wildly in her palm and then faded away. She missed the shocked expression on the boys face as she frowned at her hand.
 
 
“Ow, that stung like a spicy fish taco.” She murmured. What in the world was that? The blue ball actually spun in her hand and burned it too. That was kinda weird. She was never ever hurt in one of the many worlds she visited before.
 
 
“How did you—” The boy shuddered, looking at Serenity in awe and fright. Well, that was enough from him. Serenity shoved him back with her rod and the ropes slithered back over him.
 
 
“Next.” She said turning to the girl and boy. The girl stepped up, but the boy held out his arm to stop her.
 
 
“Hold on.” He said and put his hands together also. Serenity watched him in mild curiosity. A strange tingling sensation ran up her leg. Serenity looked down to see a shadow crawling up her body, her waist. Her cheeks burned as she felt it quickly roam up her stomach to her breast. That did it.
 
 
“Pervert!” She shrieked, slapping the shadow with her hand. It reeled back and the boy hissed shaking his left hand.
 
 
“You don't grope a girl you barely know!” She yelled and flicked her wrist sending him flying back to his tree. He had a faint blush on his cheek.
 
 
“I wasn't groping you. I was trying to choke you.” He muttered.
 
 
“Huh, could have fooled me!” She glared at him and turned to the girl.
 
 
“What about you?” She asked. The girl trembled.
 
 
“Do your best!” The blonde yelled and the girl blushed.
 
 
“R-right.” She to put her hands together. “Byakugan!” Her eyes widened and veins popped out around her temple. What the heck was this? The girl gasped and dropped her hands.
 
 
“You don't have a chakra network.” She said in a harsh whisper. Serenity frowned. Chakra? What was that? Was it some kind of power unique to this world? It would make sense and explain their attacks. Each world she traveled to was something different, that was why she was a bit concerned. It was true that she as well as her guardians were powerful beings, so of course they were immune to certain aspects of magic because their own power overwhelmed it. But when the blue ball struck her hand, it actually hurt. That meant that their powers were very close to her own in strength and this world suddenly became more interesting and dangerous. If this boy could invoke mild harm to her person, than perhaps the adults could cause more damage.
 
 
Serenity looked to the girl who still had her eyes in her. “Your whole body in enshrouded in silver energy.” She looked around to the other girls. “All of you.” She spoke softly and looked to the dark haired boy. His eye twitched and he let out a sigh.
 
 
“Damn. This is more troublesome that I imagined.” Serenity was amused by the tone of boredom in his voice. Even the loud mouth blonde boy seemed to notice that she and her guardians were much more than he originally imagined. The girl was pushed back to her tree and retied. Her friends lowered the box.
 
 
“Well, which more are we going to take?” Raye asked. Serenity smiled.
 
 
“All of them.”
 
 
XOXO
 
 
Night had finally settled as the group of girls secured a safe place to rest. It was a small village that straddled the larger city outskirts from what Ami found out using her handheld computer. The people all seemed happy enough as ware traders to both cities. The Lord of the village was a short squat man with wrinkly eyes and a crooked smile. The little inn was virtually empty and the inn keeper was excited to finally have out-of-town customers. The flashy innkeeper settled them in a clean, well maintained common room that seemed to completely contrast the innkeeper herself. A warm crackling fire blazed through the room.
 
 
No questions arose as to why the three children were tied up because they were covered by long over cloaks. When the group was alone they all settled on the floor cushions.
 
 
“Before we untie you, we need to do something first.” Serenity said giving a silent command to her smallest companion, Ami. Ami nodded once in understanding. Closing her eyes, her energy hummed and her little computer fell from the air and into her hands. She picked it up and began typing a few sequenced. The computer buzzed and she tilted it to the side where three small squares of blue paper fell into her palm. She licked one and stuck it on the girl's neck. It faded into her skin. She did the same with the other two, having some trouble with the blonde.
 
 
“What are those?” He demanded, twisting in his ropes. Ami let out a small sigh and pulled her cloak hood down. The boy stilled, staring open mouthed at her, a blush creeping on his cheeks. Ami smiled and finally put the paper on him. Serenity smirked a little, as the rest of her group followed suit, finally revealing themselves. The boy looked slowly to each of her guardians, his face blooming scarlet more and his eyes glossing over.
 
 
“Beautiful.” There was drool on the corner of his mouth and a slight dribble of blood from his nose as he looked to Serenity and she finally pulled her hood down. She batted her eyes prettily to coerce a reaction and was not disappointed when his eyes rolled up in his head. Even the older boy seemed at loss for words with a faint blush and slacked jaw. The girl looked horrified at the blonde boy, like it was the end of her world. Hum, she needed Mina to look into that reaction.
 
 
“It was bonding ice.” Ami said, sitting back on her knees and closing her computer. “It keeps you close to one of us in case you decide to run.” She and the others released the children. No sooner did the ropes fall away, did the blonde get over his surprise and bolted for the door. He faded just as his hands grabbed the knob, only to appear right next to Raye like a shimmering desert mirage. He sunk to his knees, gagging and coughing.
 
 
“Not very pleasant is it?” Raye snickered. The boy glared at her and clambered shakily to his feet.
 
 
“What the hell do you want with us?” He demanded. Raye shrugged turning to Serenity.
 
 
“Good question. Why did we interfere in the first place?”
 
 
“Because they need our help.” She simply said.
 
 
“We're not going to fight their battles for them if that's what you're thinking.” Raye's eyes twitched with irritation. Serenity grinned.
 
 
“Of course not. Even I know that! We're here to help them emotionally and mentally.” The tall boy and girl exchanged looks. The blonde boy stared steadily at her, eyes squinted. He had dirt smudges on his forehead and nose. Serenity peered closer, eyes looking over the strange marks on his cheek. She lifted her hands, saw him flinch as a slender finger caressed his warm skin. He pulled away ever so slightly that she had to pause for a moment. When he seemed relaxed enough, she traced the marks up the side of his face. His eyes captured hers, clear bright blue eyes that held so much of his heart.
 
 
Serenity had always had a gift for reading people's souls. She knew the good from the bad, but with him, it was a bit confusing. As she touched him, she felt his power, strong yes, but there was another power deep inside of him. It hummed just below his natural power—red and angry. Her thumb rested on the spot between his eye brows and index finger at the top of his head. Silver magic spiraled from her crystal and up her arm. His eyes widened just as she closed her eyes…
 
 
…don't go near him…so he's the only one who didn't graduate…I keep my word, that's my way…it's a promise of a lifetime…I don't want our bond to break Sasuke…Sasuke I'll bring you back…Sasuke would you care if I die?...Sasuke…
 
 
Her eyes opened suddenly, boring into his.
 
 
“What is your name?” Serenity murmured.
 
 
“Naruto Uzumaki.” She smiled softly and removed her hand. He's such a strong person she thought. Even if he has that creature gnawing at his mind, his priorities never changed. Still, she knew that one of the voices she heard on the other side of the door was his. Even though he would never give up finding his wayward friend, his heart was doubting itself and he was doubting his worth. She only knew him for such a short time, but it seemed strange that he would think such sad thoughts. Strange that his will was wavering. Serenity knew better than anyone what could happen if your resolve and will wavered.