Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Flux ❯ Return to the Leaf ( Chapter 17 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Demon Flux
by Starshifter
Rating: G, PG (Actually I have no clue, you tell me. It can vary with each chapter?)
Warnings: Slight Angst, violence (I try to keep actual bloody gore and killings to a minimum)
Pairings: None (barely even hints), Not yaoi or yuri.
Spoilers: I am not sure. It depends on where you are in my timelines. If you have seen the episodes or read the manga past them; virtually none.
Timelines:
For Yu Yu Hakusho: It has varied. Now I want to say before the Dark Tournament, although it was originally intended for afterwards. Definitely, after Yusuke's fight with the Saint Beasts.
For Naruto: This timeline is more concrete. Between Wave Country and the Chuunin exam.
Summary: Naruto is pulled into Yusuke's world. The YYH gang and Naruto return to Leaf Village and continue their adventures together.
Disclaimer: I just write the fanfic, and at times we wonder if I can even do that, eh?
Feedback: Yes, please!
A/N:
I got a little nudge in my mailbox. It basically asked when I was updating again. I promised to try and get something out. I am of a few days from when I had promised- but it's nice to post now as a treat for Halloween, ne?
I make no apologies for my plot, my weak characters...etc. I'm not striving for perfection here. The original idea was to have a crossover of Naruto/Yu Yu Hakusho that does NOT follow particularly with either series. I took a sliver of time in both and combined them along their own timeline. A "divergent" timeline - I will return them to their rightful paths when I am done. You won't get any pairings from me, and I can't write fight scenes - but I will try.
If my beta sees this - can you please..pretty please...send me corrections? Anytime you can, no rush at all...Thanks. :) I didn't want to trouble you out of the blue. ;)
-star
ONWARD!!!
 
 
 
 
 
Let's refresh our memories. Yusuke and Hiei are in the Village preparing to go to battle. Kurama, Naruto, Sasuke, and Iruka are in a mysterious cave and coming to a realization of what they are up against.
Demon Flux: Chapter Sixteen
Bright sunlight. The group that consisted of Kurama, Iruka, Sasuke and Naruto emerged from the depths of the cave. Kurama had lead the group out, but he had been silent and unresponsive to their questions. Once he emerged, he turned to face them, and explained in detail what the cave had meant, that it was not just rebel ninjas that the village would be dealing with. They were also up against an enemy that was very powerful because he had the amulet from the cave in his possession. Kurama was now definitely more concerned with warning the Village than finding Yusuke. Naruto was upset at this because it seemed that they were just abandoning Yusuke.
But, Kurama assured them that Yusuke could look after himself. Moreover, there was a chance that Hiei had already found him and they had both gone back to the village. Iruka finally helped Kurama explain all the possibilities to Naruto, especially, how important it would be to warn the village of the danger immediately, instead of wandering aimlessly for Yusuke, when he may no longer be in need of help.
The group began their trek back to the village, but they did not get much further than the edge of the hilly terrain before they were surrounded by a band of 20 men from Shikaru's army. It took less than a second for the rebels to recognize the leaf symbols on the headbands of the four and surge forward to attack. In that same instance, Kurama uncoiled and darted forward, his whip whizzing in synchronized arcs; and his first five victims' dead on contact. Iruka, Sasuke and Naruto also had their hands full. Naruto seemed to be enjoying himself the most. He was constantly cackling and taunting the men fighting him. Iruka and Sasuke were likewise engaged, but not so loudly. Kurama dispatched several more of their enemies, and eventually created an opportunity to escape. Swiftly, the group followed Iruka, who was now even more determined to reach the village. If he had to fight in a war, he preferred to be more evenly matched against his enemies.
Kurama used the powers of Yoko to increase his speed and agility as they went along. He proved a successful rear defense; cutting down those who got to close, and keeping his team from further attacks.
They were upon the perimeter of the village before they knew it lost their attackers completely as Leaf ninja teams and Anbu engaged them instead. They found Yusuke and Hiei as they approached the outer wall; decked out in full ninja regalia. Yusuke was overjoyed to see them and gave Naruto a heavy slap on the back as the young boy pounced on him. But, that was the only celebratory gesture made by the group. They were all very much aware that the battlegrounds were not far behind them in the forest. The sounds of clashing kunai sometimes grew fierce and permeated the air around them.
"Where's Kakashi?" inquired Iruka of Yusuke.
"He's already formed a three man team with Hayate and some other guy, I forget his name, umm, Ebisu, or something like that. Anyway, they are already out fighting. Where I would like to be!"
"Patience Yusuke, cautioned Kurama, "it's important to know as much as you can about a situation before getting involved."
"Oh, Yeah? Got something you want to tell us Kurama?"
"Perhaps it would be best to wait and also inform the Hokage."
"Oh?" Yusuke quirked an eyebrow, "Then it must be really interesting stuff."
The group started their walk into the village, which was eerily silent. The windows were all blacked out, and the children already ushered to a hidden location. Every able ninja had been placed into a three man team and sent out, or were occupied in lookout and guard duties.
The Hokage's hut was abuzz with activity, but no one seemed to mind the group as they followed Iruka to the reception area.
Anko was the first to approach them and although she seemed to frown at their coming, she took their request to the Hokage.
They were then ushered into a side room where they found the Hokage seated with several other Anbu members. Iruka bowed first on approach and managed to get the rest of the group to follow his lead. Yusuke and the rest were silent as Iruka told the Hokage and his group about their adventures. He left no detail uncovered, and mentioned locations and times precisely.
As he begun to mention the cave of the demon fox, everyone leaned in further to hear him. Occasionally their eyes shifted to Kurama and then back to Iruka. Some looked at Naruto, with a hard, fixed stare. Naruto, for his part, was respectfully silent and kept his head bowed. He would usually be trying to speak and gesture as Iruka spoke, to enunciate the parts of the story that Iruka did not seem to embellish, but today he didn't. Instead, Naruto sensed the graveness of the situation and was cowed slightly by the presence of the Anbu.
Kurama was then given the chance to speak, and he described the cave in detail. He emphasized all the signs that proved a power source the size of an amulet had been taken from the cave. He also mentioned his belief that this had been a storage center for the power of the demon fox, and that the rebel Shikaru possessed it now.
The Hokage nodded when all was said and done. He thanked them and said he would now have to discuss the situation with the Anbu and elders. He encouraged everyone to get some rest that someone would be around to give them their orders after the next guard shift. As they filed out, Yusuke mentioned that he and Hiei had already taken the next shift duty.
Yusuke grinned widely, and stretched his arms behind his head, "Yeah, Hiei and I felt it was the least we could do, right Hiei?"
"Hn, as I recall, they had to talk you out of charging into a fight and to settle for guard duty."
Yusuke's grin faltered only slightly and he rubbed his hair anxiously. "Technicalities Hiei! Let's get going!" And with that, Yusuke yanked Hiei by the arm; the surprised demon having no choice but to follow.
The group broke up, as Iruka and Sasuke went their separate ways, and Kurama accompanied Naruto to his apartment building.
They went to the Ikiru noodle bar when Hiei and Yusuke returned from duty, and. Yusuke went over the news he had acquired while they were eating. Iruka was now assigned to a three man group, and Sasuke volunteered to go on rotating guard duty with some other genin ninjas to replace Hiei and Yusuke's group. Yusuke also mentioned that he expected the fighting to escalate soon, as reports were coming in that the rebel group was now fully on the move toward the village. The rest of the meal was finished in silence.
 
 
 
 
End A/N:
Okay, so here's a rough chapter to essentially say “here I am, I am still alive!”
I HAVE NOT given up on the story - even though my long absence says otherwise, and I feel at a loss posting this without having it checked by my beta! But, I haven't talked to Phire in long, long, while and don't want to shock her with an email...heh.
Anyway, I hope you can wade through my un-betafied story, and I will try to get in the grove and post the next one before thanksgiving - but you just can't be too sure with me these days! Now don't despair!!! I hate despair.
Again, I apologize for anything and everything. I apologize for things I haven't even done yet!!
Better Now?
~star