Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale Of Two Rivals ❯ A Part Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Three: Infiltration: Where training and tests begin, and even old warhorses find they can be surprised by newborn ponies.
 
 
As she stood in the middle of the empty room, with only the cobwebs and dust to keep her company, Sayuki lifted her arms from her sides and brought them together. Calming her breath, her hands blurred before her before stopping dead, finishing in the seal of the rat.
 
“Bushin no jutsu!” She called out, waiting as she felt the many clones of herself appear around the mansion. After all, what was a heavily guarded fortress if not without guards? She knew it would be unfair to make the genin contend with too much, so she created only fifteen of the chakra filled sentries, excluding herself, This, she decided, would be reasonable against the low level genin, given the number of floors that there were. There were also all the traps to take into consideration, it was more than enough.
 
It would just be a case now of waiting. In her mind, she tried to imagine How the situation would appear, if she were an actual army general. It was harder than she anticipated, as she tended to look at view this experience from the other side of the mission, being an infiltrator rather than a guard. She would just have to look at it logically. More than likely, the commanding officer of the fortress would just be relaxing in some manner at this moment, not aware that anything was going to happen, but prepared for it nonetheless. To the general's eyes, it would just be another night, waiting for orders from the lord. In that sense, it would just be routine for her. Normally, she would mould some chakra as a warming down exercise and go to sleep for the night, in the same way an officer would leave patrolling for the grunts.
 
That was too boring though. She was half tempted just to run up to them now, screaming her head off about how she had found them and maybe kick the black haired one a few times. She held the thought, it would be wrong to cheat like that. In such circumstances, she wouldn't know that anyone was coming, even though she did, and she should act like someone that wasn't prepared for an attack, even though she was.
 
In the end, she guessed it was too hard to fully role-play the scenario she had planned. Both teams knew that each was there, and any motion would be instantly noticed and recognized as coming from the other team. That was expected on their side, infiltrators would expect guards, but guards wouldn't be expecting any infiltrators. The main problem she could think of, was that it would be impossible for the kids to use henge or henso style techniques, since to change form or employ disguises would be seen through instantly, since she would know straight away that they were not one of her clones. They would have to solely rely on sneaking around and hiding whenever one of her `guards' got too close to them. Even then, since they weren't as skilled as she was, she was more likely to sense them. She would have to give them a handicap, dull her own senses and hope they were somewhat skilled.
 
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.
 
******************************************************
 
“Oh come on,” Kiba complained, his coat becoming heavy with water, as he floated in the ocean. “We're making some progress, aren't we?”
 
He was answered with a quiet squeal from Hinata's direction, as the timid teenager fell through the surface of the water yet again before popping up yet again and exhaling in surprise yet again. Danjuro was getting annoyed to say the least. He wished he had a campfire and a bucket of cooking oil so he could cook the three of them and be done with this. As Shino plunged five feet down, he mumbled incoherently to himself, something about seven hours.
 
“Some progress, yes.” Danjuro said, with a hint of irritation. “You've gotten to the bit where you can imagine yourselves as the graceful flat stone, reading to skim masterfully across the water's edge and then fall into the water like three year olds being drowned by their parents. Now if you can just master turning your vertical momentum into horizontal, then we might get back to my country before the exchange program is over.”
 
Kiba felt Akamaru shake himself dry all over the boy, he realized just how dark it was getting. The moon was now beautifully pitched over the sea, lighting the modest ocean with reflected radiance, the circle actually providing them with a constant direction to follow in order to get back to the Water country. At that moment in time, the four ninja were in or around a small wooden boat. Making it and getting out to sea had been quite easy and the survival-specialist in training was beginning to wonder if they should have just kept rowing.
 
“The skim stone technique is dead simple, dammit.” Danjuro now shouted as he watched the girl brace herself for another shot at it. “It's just chakra control and a basic abuse of scientific physics. Let me explain it to you all again, just so you've got it.”
 
Hinata stopped and sat down to listen, more than relieved at getting a chance to rest after an hour of this exercise. Shino pulled himself back into the boat as well. The calm and collected genin hadn't been eager to go into the water, almost as if he had a water phobia. He must have waited about ten minutes before allowing himself to fall in. He sucked at the technique, Danjuro had noticed. He was the worst of the three. It was like he was concentrating on something else.
 
“Right, first I assumed you would have practiced the Leaf Village's tree climbing exercise. All genin is all villages learn this technique eventually, but since you haven't I now have another reason to cook you while you sleep. You've basically got to concentrate your chakra in your feet. You should all know how to do this, so I won't bother with the details. Then, the rest is this.” He stopped talking and grabbed a flat stone from a pile he had brought with him onto the boat. Standing up casually, he held it above his head and swung it from the side, causing the rock to start bouncing over the top of the ocean. The kids watched it bounce, staying as low to the liquid's surface as possible, before it slowly disappeared out of sight, to everyone except Hinata, before turning back to their instructor.
 
“You just have to do what that rock did… skim,” he explained. “Toss yourselves off the boat and use the chakra surrounding your feet to skim across the water. When you're feeling you're running out of steam, just push the chakra slightly to give yourself a boost, not too much though, or you'll start hitting the water harder and lose control. We all got that?” He shouted the last bit like a commanding officer, the troops replied accordingly.
 
“Urgh, swimming sounds like a better option,” Kiba complained, standing himself up again.
 
“Impossible. There is no island in sight,” Shino stated. “We could not take the risk of not finding any land.”
 
“But if we master this technique…” Hinata started.
 
“Correct. We will provide ourselves a faster, more effective way back to the Water Country. Once we are used to the basics, there should be no foreseeable problems.”
 
“So we just have to get the knack, ey?” Kiba mused loudly. Thoughts popping into his head, he turned to the jounin who was laying back. “Oi, do all students really have to learn this technique in your country?”
 
“It's not that weird, is it?” Danjuro asked mildly, opening one eye to look at the boy as they spoke. “Don't you have to learn the tree hopping technique in your village before you can graduate. In my country we don't have to bother learning it until after graduation”
 
“I guess when you put it like that…” Kiba stopped talking to think. He hadn't thought of it that way before. He had learned the ability to bounce from tree to tree with relative ease when he was five. It was so simple a trick that even Akamaru soon caught on to, simply doing it by imitating his partner. This was the Water Country's alternative then, was it? He stood up tall on the boat, making sure not to rock it.
 
“I think I got it, guys. Just stand back and watch.” The other genin turned in mild surprise at their partner's claim, while the boy just grinned and concentrated. Logically speaking, the tree hopping technique was just skimming along the surface of a tree, so all he really had to do was the same thing. This time though, it would be a flatter surface, rather than the rounded branches of the trees. “Here goes,” he shouted, and threw himself towards the ocean, placing his feet carefully onto the water's façade, before thursting himself forward, ready to skim.
 
Needless to say, he fell through the solid illusion of the dark ocean and plunged eight feet before he even started to bring himself back up. Danjuro just burst into laughter.
 
*******************************************
 
Had long had it been now?
 
Half an hour, an hour, two? She laughed groggily to herself , as she became tired. In truth she already knew that, since the exercise began, precisely thirty-four minutes had gone past. Regardless, it felt that an eternity had passed, like a chewed up tape had played out its last five minutes and stretched them to four hours.
 
She got out of the chair she was sitting on, to prevent herself from dropping off completely. The last thing she wanted to do now was fall asleep; the exercise would be ruined, all her clones would disappear and the group could just walk up to the scroll and walk out with it.
 
Where were they anyway? They were doing an amazingly good job of remaining undetected. So far, none of her guards had identified any intruders. She briefly wondered if she had maybe dimmed the clones' senses a bit too much. She had given all but one of them the senses of a normal human, in an attempt to make the exercise more realistic. She had the last one remain as a total copy of herself in every way, to add a bit of spice to the exercise. The genin would have no clue as to which one it was. Indeed, they wouldn't even be looking for one. In a real situation, they would have to acknowledge the different awareness levels of all the guards and not just get into a set pattern.
 
She became tempted to cheat again and just scan for them immediately. She knew she could find them straight away, but it would also ruin the exercise. She needed to be as ignorant to them as they were to her. They were just genin after all. They should have little to no special abilities yet and if she cheated, even if it were just to check on their progress, then she knew it would be impossible for her not to act on it, even to the point where the guards may subconsciously drift towards where they were hiding.
 
She turned around, surprising even herself. It took her a full second to realize that her body had picked up the sound of a piece of grit getting kicked and a few milliseconds longer to notice that it had only happened 10.5 meters away; she had been too relaxed. The elite ninja let a grin appear on her face and jumped up to the ceiling, her soles sticking silently. She was nearer than any of her clones. She decided to check it out for herself.
 
The hallway was as barren as it had been about five months ago, when it had last been used for an exercise of a similar manner. The lumber of the floors was slowly rotting and every single nail in the place was rusted. In a few months time the workers would have to come and tear it down. The atmosphere was very isolating, the lonely corridors echoed with memories of past splendor and threatened to crush any trespassers by the ambiance alone. That didn't matter to Sayuki, the only thing that mattered to her then were the few pieces of wood about three meters away from her. For some reason the timber here had grown about half a meter longer than all the other planks on that floor. She walked forward another two meters, before bringing a knife to a neck that was hidden in front of her.
 
“Come on out!” she barked. “The exercise is over.” She could hear two feet step back and a gasp of surprise as a boy of around fourteen years of age came into focus before her. He had black hair tied up in a ponytail and a bright blue bomber jacket. On his face was a small bandage, covering up a slightly larger knife wound.
 
“H-How did you know I was there?” he gasped fearfully, scared at getting caught. Sayuki glared at him, not expecting the presence of the fifth ninja.
 
“Who are you? What are you doing here?” she asked simply. She recognized him vaguely. Judging by the headband, he was from the village, a genin too and, judging by his illusion, just out of the academy.
 
“Hiretani Takashi.” He blurted out, eyeing the knife that was promising to take him on a journey. “I was scouting the place out on request.”
 
“On request?” she said confusingly. “On request of whom?” I checked that nobody else was going to be using this place.” The boy's eyes widened at this, as the small wooden blade pressed against his adam's apple, forcing him to step back to avoid being cut He cursed himself for believing that no one would keep a check on the place. “Who sent you?” she asked again, losing patience, this was just the lax in security that the others needed to break past her.
 
“Hiretani Kousuke. Look, I'm sorry Sayuki-ojousan. We were just…”
 
“Your sister?” That name she did recognize. Also a genin, the girl had a reputation for holding far too many parties. With that, the answer became clear. She picked him up and lifted him above her, then threw him to the floor. “Get out of here.”
 
“Ye…yes ojousan,” he responded quickly, turning tail and getting as far away from the kunai as possible.
 
“And if I catch you holding drug parties at this sacred place, I'll wipe out your entire clan, boy!” she sighed to herself, before clinging back to the ceiling, intending to return to the scroll room. On getting there, she checked the scroll to see if it had been touched. The small lock of red hair she had left there remained None of them had red hair, so she could assume it was safe. She then scanned the room for an ambush, but nothing was revealed. She was almost …disappointed.
 
She still didn't know where they were, and this was getting boring. She knew they could have at least chosen to do something and, unless they were really good at infiltration, which she doubted, they had so far done nothing worth detecting.
 
Were they waiting for her to fall asleep or something?
********************************************
 
The winds blew strong. Nothing could be seen. The hurricane blocked the senses of even the most acute mind. It was exactly how Sayuki had planned it. As much as she hated to admit it, the last fight with `frying pan moron of the Shinobi katana' had been tough and with no real victor. As a result she had planned strategies against him in her spare time. She had anticipated his intention tothrowthe giant pan like a kunai, although not it returning to him, as well as the need to start collecting a load of debris for her newest attack.
 
She had pegged him for asa short-range fighter when it came down to it, relying on Taijutsu and weapons rather than sneaking and illusion techniques. She hadfigured thathe wouldn't start using any Suiton until it was necessary, especially since there wasa lack of water in the surrounding area.
 
Now he was trapped, the `formless prison' spinning furiously around him, trapping the jounin in its centre. By now, he had probably figured that any attempt to traverse through the gales would result in being ripped apart by the debris that had been pulled up. With the rocks being kept inside the hurricane by the girl's chakra, escape from the side was currently impossible.
 
“Ouch!” Danjuro whined, as he quickly pulled his hand away from the sandstorm surrounding him. Four cuts and a small bruise appeared instantly, and promised that more was to come. He sighed in frustration, glaring around. He was guessing that getting out through the side was going to be impossible. If he moved his feet in the slightest, his knees would get sawn off, his head soon after He would need to try something else.
 
There was, simply put, no way to move without causing himself near fatal damage, which prevented the obvious answer of digging a tunnel to freedom out of the formless prison, since he wouldn't even be able to crouch down, without the risk of having his kneecaps why kneecaps? You don't dig with your knees. When you first said digging a tunnel, I thought you meant a tunnel under the hurricane. ripped off. A chakra jump might be possible, using his internal energy to rocket into the air, hopefully being able to reach the top and come back out again on the other side.
 
“No…she would have seen through that idea. Probably waiting to attack if I do come out. I'll be a sitting duck. Plus, if I don't get enough bounce, I probably won't land back here or outside.” His voice was difficult to hear, even for him, as the summoned winds raged around him, absorbing any and all vibrations.
 
He had to hand it to the girl. It was a pretty nifty technique. It was the ultimate prison. A wall that is not a wall, both unbreakable and impassable. A door that is not a door, empty space in front of him, yet certain doom if he tries to enter it. No view of the outside world, no view of escape, no view ofthosewatching you, no view of the outside full stop. It was near perfect, the only thing he could think of off-handwas that it was all too short term, since the girl had to have tremendous concentration to maintain the elemental balance for the technique.
 
That, and of course, that she had no view of the inside either.
 
****************************************
 
She woke with a stifled yawn, shifting herself slightly as she did so. The girl immediately felt herself being held down, something was sitting on top of her. Her assailant seemed chubby and green all over. Her reaction was as fast as it was expected.
 
“Chouji!” Ino shouted, the genin struggling pointlessly. “Get off me.”
 
“Quiet, Ino!” A voice came to the left of her, silencing her. “Did you forget what we were doing?” The calm forced itself over her as she took stock of the situation. She looked up to see her two teammates; Shikamaru was keeping an eye through the bushes, Chouji was eating. “Okay, nothing's happened. Did you get anything good, woman?”
 
The girl didn't answer, but simply grabbed the pencil lying on the floor and began to draw, reciting everything from memory as quickly as she could. Despite not being as smart as Dekorine-chan, Ino knew the ninja technique for blind memorization, used for obtaining the secret plans of the enemy without actually directly remembering anything. It enabled her to relay everything instinctively in a trance. Within a few minutes, Ino had everything she had seen about the mansion down on paper.
 
They had been lucky really, but the body of the boy who had been unlucky enough to innocently walk past them had been extremely cooperative. A quick interrogation, using both beauty and knives, revealed as much personal information as was needed and the boy had been possessed before he could comprehend what was going on. Shikamaru stopped looking to the mansion to see what the girl had written as she pulled herself out of the trance. The three genin now scanned the information in front of them, showing maps, guards and traps, as well as the assumed location of the real jounin.
 
“She's using clones for guards. Fifteen of them,” Ino began to explain, pointing to the various little dots that spread out across the map. “They don't appear to be armed, but it's impossible to tell without getting too close.”
 
“You did do it as I told you right?” Shikamaru asked cautiously. The girl just smiled as she nodded her head.
 
“Yup. I snuck in and took stock of the traps, then, on the top floor, I let myself get caught. As you predicted, she put me in a position that I could run out of, feigning fear. As I did, I took the longest route possible so I could take stock of the guards.” She hid it well with a smile, but the threats of the jounin had made her want to run anyway. She hoped she would never fight this Cloud ninja.
 
“Good, that should do it. She'll probably change the guard pattern because of the event,” Shikamaru mused, “but otherwise, she'll probably be getting annoyed and bored at the fact we aren't doing anything.”
 
“So let's just sneak in and start knocking out guards,” Chouji stated, getting a little bored himself.
 
“Mo-ron.” Looks like you just spelled it wrong. Try adding a dash or something. Shikamaru chimed. “We can't approach a single guard the whole time we're in there, whether we knock them out or not.”
 
“What? Why?” Ino asked. “…how?”
 
“Weren't you listening earlier?” he asked rhetorically. “In an infiltration situation, if the commander of the defending forces has reason to believe there have been any intruders then he has reason to believe that they might have spied upon his plans, so he can't risk the information getting away. In a real situation, we would be hunted down and killed. In this situation, we'll fail the exercise. But even in reality, if we got away, the mission would still be a failure.”
 
“Because they would change their plans if they suspected the enemy might have gotten a look right?”
“Ya. Anyway, let's start.”
 
******************************************************
 
The clone had no mind. Nothing real enough to call a mind anyway. It was nothing more than chakra flowing around a small piece of rock. It would have been content with this position, if it even had the ability to feel content.
 
It was mindless, a machine made out of spiritualistic energies, set on a predetermined course through life. A computer program with a starting command, a main program and a self-destruction command for the end. It was brought into existence, told what it was supposed to do and then to just disappear without a second thought when it's task was done.
 
In a way, exactly like the one who had created it.
 
This clone had been given the task of just standing still and raising the alarm if it detected something of interest. It had been allowed to turn, but never to walk about. It was told its job was reasonably important, since the elevated surface behind it was the main means of mobility around the place under its protection. It didn't feel a need to do its job well, or even do it badly, it simply knew that it would do it.
 
The program within had noted something earlier, rushing past at high speeds, but it was told to ignore it by the creator. It didn't feel a need to complain when the object it detected went through its field of detection several times and even once stared at it for a short period. It had been told to ignore it. It did its job.
 
Now the clone was walking forward, slowly and quietly, as naturally as a baby would gurgle. The clone continued to check if anything was within any of its six senses, but nothing new came up. As it continued stalking forwards, it noticed a small creak. Its womanly figure tried to turn its head to observe where the vibrations had originated. It couldn't, but it was not part of its program to find this strange. It did nothing and carried on walking forwards, outside the main door and into the garden.
****************************************
 
The partnership remains bound. Our mind is doing its part to prevent the water entering this body through its pores. We do not have to worry about being drowned. In return, it asks us to push the flow of our food source so that it conjugates around this body's feet. We have done this, yet still we all fall into the liquid blue. We ask our mind to investigate out the best course of options in order to prevent this.
 
It states that the dog boy has partly figured out the nature of this test. It is similar to when we hop through the trees of the Konohagakure. However, to hop on wood and hop on water are clearly different. The task is to compose a method so that we do not fall through the liquid blue. We must also be fast, as the body may run out of energy before the task is done and our tunnels through the body will be flooded.
 
A minor problem has occurred. This body has been pushed into the water by the new jounin. The walls of the food source are stable. Therefore the fluids cannot enter. We have no reason to fear. Our mind has assessed that we should not be in the water long enough to sink. Thus, the symbolism of the stone has a possibility of being useful. For the tree hopping exercise, we are usually asked to make the food source jagged, in order to increase grip upon the target.
 
The threat is over, the body has pulled itself out of the water and is negotiating with the jounin that it not push the body in again while it thinks of a solution. The jounin has responded with mirth
 
By remaining jagged, the food source can successfully join with any part of the target it needs to latch onto. From this designation, the legs can apply force to remove the feet from the tree and go along to the next target.
 
This will not be sufficient in this context though. The jagged shape of the food source has nothing solid enough to grip onto. The thrusting of the legs also pushes one into the water. This explains why dog boy failed.
 
In order to bring a solution to this problem, we must first start by preventing the legs from moving during travel over the liquid blue. This will prevent the food source going underwater and causing the body to sink. The second part will require the reshaping of the food source as it is brought to the feet. The symbolism of the `flat stone' is the explanation to secure safe travel across the water. To keep momentum, more of the food source should be dispersed along the way, every few hops.
 
Initial momentum is another factor that our mind must consider. It has suggested that our body start with a jump forward, and land on the liquid with one foot first at the angle of least force. It then states we must `skim' onto the second foot. After this, the technique must change and both feet must come together, so that they can `skim' along the top of the surface with no physical effort required. This is efficient, as it allows us to focus solely on the movement of the food source.
 
It has been stated that we will take a short break, while the mind informs its other partners of what it has discovered. However, it is insisting on waiting until the dog boy has fallen in once more.
***************************************
 
The clone turned suddenly, it heard the voice of a boy somewhere. It stayed alert for a moment, its senses stronger than those of the clones around it. Nothing came for two minutes, and its parameters told the bushin to drop it as a false alarm. It carried on its walking pattern, changing systematically every x number of paces to provide a near unpredictable variety. After four steps, it turned around pointlessly, before turning back to where it was originally facing and moved on. After another fifteen paces, it stopped again before raising its arms and yawning.
 
“Nice night,” it said to the darkness of the mansion, not expecting an answer, nor having the capacity to receive one. It continued its fruitless journey to the end of the corridor before turning around again.*
 
As it did, it picked up a loud rumbling noise that shook the second floor of the building. It sounded like something large was rolling down the corridor of the west wing. Its program told it that that area was important and should be guarded carefully, so it went up to full search status and ran out to see what the noise was.
 
It only took it fifteen seconds to get to where the noise had been detected and it sensed multiple intruders there. About eight of them, all identical. The female clone's instructions told it to go to full alert status after one final check, but the final check told it to stay in search mode, stating that the intruders were non hostile. The search revealed nothing, whatever the noise was didn't class as a full alert. After another minute of checking, the clone was told to return to its original location. It did so without question, as was its nature. It passed the old broken gap where a window once stood and moved back to its primary location before taking six steps forward, and yawning again.
 
 
******************************************
 
Sayuki was starting to feel the sweat pour down her face, covering her cheeks and dripping off her chin. How long had it been? She had lost count after around five minutes as exhaustion had begun to overcome her. The intense technique was taking more than she intended it to. Her chakra was nearly gone and her stamina was gasping, the latter being needed to prevent herself being sucked into the tornado in front of her. Her leg muscles were tense, trying their hardest to keep their grip within the ground she was pushing herself into.
 
She had been stupid, too impatient to try something new to realize that she wasn't ready for this. Even the wind master Kazekage would be having problems with this technique. It was that stupid moron's fault! She had made this technique to face him. He wasn't supposed to be showing up now. Why couldn't he have waited a month? Now she had jumped the gun, and landed in the path of a bullet, caught between moving or catching it.
 
Now that she had thought about it, every time she had tested this technique, she had focused far too much on picking up the rocks with chakra and discarding them to the winds, but she had taken her time doing it. In this scenario, she couldn't risk getting lax and allowing a gap to develop. As a result, she had been summoning the winds faster, picking the debris up quicker, losing her stamina more rapidly. This was bad enough for the fight alone, but after defeating this guy, she would have to carry on the mission.
 
Could she risk it, could she risk releasing him, not knowing if he was dead or not?
 
She also had far too much control over the formless prison, the entire four hundred mile per hour construction was trapped within her chakra field, as well as around half a ton of rock and other assorted artefacts. None of them could escape the field until she allowed it. Unfortunately, she couldn't remove the chakra field either. This much control was too much of a strain, she would have to allow holes to move the field too drastically, and doing so might cause various boulders to ricochet out. It was far too much of a risk and it meant leaving the target of the technique a two-foot diameter to just stand on. If the target was smart, they could just stand there, moving each time the hurricane did . Why was she only thinking of this stuff now? This also meant they could figure out a way around the technique, especially since…
 
“Bet you didn't see me there, did you?” his voice snapped her out of her thoughts, she had kept her eyes at the top of the hurricane, but her other senses were dulled by the technique itself. She could hear him, but she couldn't place his exact location. Was he right behind her, possibly holding a weapon to her neck? Her eyes tried their best to stretch around without twisting her neck, the control needed for the technique keeping her practically immobile. She had no choice but to see what would happen next.
 
“Interesting technique you have. You're pretty cool,” he said, gloatingly, as his voice moved around her. “You use your chakra to first increase air pressure and speed, until you can form the gale force 10 hurricane. Then, to make it even more impressive, you use your chakra to contain, preventing it from going out of control. You even go one step further and use your chakra to pick up rocks and throw them into the hurricane.” As he said this, she swore she felt the hair on her neck being tickled, as if something was breathing on it.
 
“One problem though,” he stated mockingly. “I said the word chakra three times in that sentence. You must be pretty tired.”
 
“You think…I'm that…stupid,” She blurted out, the simple act of talking revealing her current weakness. “You're just a…damn illusion.” She imagined the owner of the voice leaning back in curiosity at this comment, before she heard a laugh.
 
“Oh really,” Danjuro continued. “Yes… I guess that would make sense. It is after all, the main weakness of your technique. It may have blinded me but at the same time it blinds you. You couldn't have possibly seen that I had burned a hole through the ground with my chakra.”
 
“I…also couldn't have not seen it,” she interrupted, practically wheezing by now. “You're…just…a…bluff and I am the Cloud village's best tool. I will not falter.” Her technique isn't doing him any damage. In fact, iIt's doing worse to her than to him. Unless her mission is to stall Danjuro, she should drop the technique right now. Even though she was saying it, she didn't know whether to believe it or not. He could have honestly found a way out that she hadn't thought of. But was it even possible to burn dirt using only chakra? She had never heard of it, but it took a lot of skill to start burning chakra, if she could just look at his feet.
 
And why wasn't he attacking? He should be capable of doing so, but taunting was his style as well. The whole event was pushing her, should she continue to keep a ninja that may not be there contained, or should she drop her technique, causing chaos, but giving her a chance to defend herself? She would need at least four seconds at her current level to drop it safely, but it would require her concentration. If he were behind her, she wouldn't be able to defend herself. The options flared through her mind, each insisting that she picked it for all the others. She couldn't decide.
 
“It was fun in the end, my eternal rival.”
 
*********************************************
“Great, it's clear,” the girl announced in a hushed whisper. She waved at her companion who moved all the way up to the doorway. A fire had ripped the door off its hinges in the past, presumably long ago. As he stepped in, he glanced in every direction he could think of. If there was a trap, besides the tripwire, it was too hard for a genin to find. And if it was too hard for a lower rank ninja to find, then he just couldn't be bothered.
 
“She's not here?” he said to his companion as she stepped over the tripwire. “I thought she would be guarding the scroll herself.”
 
“From what I could tell,” Ino began to explain, “she had integrated herself with the clones on the second floor. She left a simple guard here.” Shikamaru held up a hand and she stopped talking, realizing that they were on a time limit. The simple guard would be back after it realized that there was nothing to find. She hoped Chouji had done his job right, or else she couldn't do her job properly. She stepped up in front of a green scroll that was on display; it was the target. The spy in training began to fish about in her bag, pulling out a plain white scroll with no markings. She crouched down and set it on the floor. As she drew in her breath, she noticed her companion staring at the scroll with a pissed-off look in his face.
 
“What's wrong?” she whispered, hoping there was nothing.
 
“Screw it, it doesn't matter,” Shikamaru replied. “Hurry up and do the technique, this exercise is getting too troublesome.”
 
Ino looked at him with heavy concern. It was still weird to her how lazy he was and yet still came up with all these plans so casually. She shook the thoughts off and began forming her seals. When she finished, she grabbed the plain scroll with her left hand and raised her right hand in the direction of the green one.
 
“Ninpou: Makimono mane no jutsu!”
 
Slowly, but surely, the plain white scroll started to turn green, until it was an exact replica of the one that had been left on the stand. When she was finished, she picked it up and left without a word to her teammate. They began to head for the doorway when they noticed a shadow appear. Instinctively, they launched themselves back and jumped into a alcove inside the room, just as the clone that was guarding this area walked in.
 
Ino felt perspiration start to slide down her face, the anticipation of being seconds away from getting caught hitting her like a sledgehammer to the solar plexus. In the midst of the exercise, her body had forget that this was all but an exercise and now the fear of getting caught had started to set in. She wanted to just run, as if a thousand kunai were above her, ready to rain upon her as she fled, punishing her cowardice.
 
Luckily, Shikamaru felt nothing more than the urge to rest and didn't hesitate to start up a shadow copying technique. As the guard stopped moving, it showed no outside concern, as if it didn't even know it was no longer in control of its body. As it started to walk forward, it failed to notice that it was creeping forward slowly, it then failed to notice as its arm reached out and went to grab someone, although there was no one to grab. It even failed to notice that it had started to walk into the wall in front of it. Then it just stopped, and continued its detection program, keeping track of any intruders on the wall directly in front of it.
****************************************
 
 
“Woah! He's doing it,” Kiba shouted out, as the other male member of their group started to skim over the water. The others watched as Shino paced across the water successfully for around ten steps, before disappearing, as if he had just jumped into a swimming pool. Kiba laughed.
 
“Shino-kun was right,” Hinata whispered, excited enough to forget her own stutter for a moment. “If we do it as he says…”
 
“Ya, my go next.” Kiba announced, bracing himself to jump in before remembering what his partner had told him about the angle of entry. Repositioning himself, so that his first leg would skim instead of hop, he tilted back; so that all his weight wouldn't be on the foot he landed on. “Here I go.”
 
Akamaru watched his assistant as he went over the ocean, getting ready to hide behind the girl for when things went wrong. Instead, he found himself observing Kiba's successful application of the technique. Watching his partner, it made a lot more sense than when he just threw himself into the water. The dog studied the use of chakra that the boy had just demonstrated, and realized that it was all very simple. Without hesitating, he jumped onto the edge of the water as well and began to fly after his partner. Hinata watched on in awe, a little too nervous to follow just yet, she decided to wait for them to return.
 
Kiba, meanwhile, was far too wrapped up in this new pleasure of the water rushing below his feet to realize what was happening behind him. There was no physical feeling to it, as he never touched the water, but the concept of floating above the cerulean fluids was enough to elate him; it was a lot like ice-skating. Ahead of him, he saw Shino, slowly swimming back to the boat. He held back the appeal of soaking the giant insect, and aimed instead to get further than him. As he went to skim past him, he plunged into the murky depths that surrounded him, Shino's hand doing an impressive job of stopping his leg from moving.
 
Seconds later, Kiba emerged from below, spitting water out as he did so. “What the hell did you do that for?” he got halfway through saying, before a small piece of white fur landed in his face, knocking him back. Shino grabbed hold of Akamaru, before the runt could drown, as they waited for Kiba to resurface.
 
“There is no need to continue in that direction. We need to determine our direction before going any further.” Kiba's eyes glanced up at this. It was dark, but the moon was shining brightly, he wondered why they needed to determine their direction. Then it occurred to him that they had been drifting at sea for a while and the Fire country was out of view. Danjuro had been kind enough to let them cover some of the distance in the boat beforehand. The jounin was fast asleep now, and Kiba didn't feel like waking him up, mainly out of the fear of more irrationality.
 
They headed back and slowly, quietly got back on the boat, hushing Hinata as they did so. This made the girl twitch slightly since she didn't know what they were up to.
 
“We need you to find which way we're meant to go,” Kiba whispered to her, hoping that this act of secrecy wouldn't wake the mad cook up. Hinata nearly cried out at this, startled by the implications of the supposedly harmless request. Kiba quickly put his hand over her mouth and explained. “It might be dangerous if you do it whilst he's awake though. Keep quiet and scout for his country. We'll wait on the beach, he can catch us up when he wakes up.
 
Hinata, finally understanding, and also not wishing to wake the strange man up, stood and looked around. She had no real clue where to start; there was no land in sight now, and with the amount of times the boat had rotated and since she had fell into the water she had become disorientated. She guessed that the land she could partially see to her left was the Country of Fire, since it was the only she could still see. Judging the degrees with her hand, she guessed the general direction of the Country of Water and, started to form several seals, initiating the powerful technique of the Hyuuga family.
 
“Byagugan!” She whispered forcefully, causing the boat to rock. Pure power flooded into her eyes, and she felt her veins bulge around her the sockets in her skull, sapphire blood increasing her vision beyond a normal humans. Suddenly, her short-range sight disappeared and became long range, images up to 20km away suddenly appeared in full focus. Long-range tracking was hard even for her though, and she had to make sure she kept aware of her nearby surroundings as she scanned those far away. She took a light step back and underestimated how much she moved, stepping on the port side of the boat. Her companions acted quickly to steady her, preventing her from resting her weight on the edge of small vehicle. The timid girl almost jolted, and she had to hold back the instinct to look at Kiba, knowing that doing so would give her a microscopic look into his nose.
 
She saw nothing detritus on the ocean at first, the stars in the distance illuminating the area majestically. Changing her focus in short increments, she turned her head left and right slowly and carefully, before finally discover the country she was looking for. She pointed to in the direction where the full moon was shining, as her blood circulation slowed down, returning her keen vision to normal
 
“So we just have to follow the moon,” Kiba commented. “How far is it?”
 
“Fo..forty kilometers,” Hinata answered. “It should take us about two hours.”
 
“Great, let's go,” Kiba cried out, not waiting for the others before jumping jumped out onto the vast ocean. Akamaru was soon behind him, although Shino waited for Hinata to start before going himself, intending to help the girl if she slipped at any point.
 
They were soon out of eyeshot, and Danjuro mumbled in his sleep something about shrimp mixed in with bean sprouts. He woke and knew that they had gone. He figured that the scent that he had left on them would allow him to trace them in the morning. He glanced up at the moon. He was amazed at how fast it seemed to move; sometimes he wondered which one of them were truly moving. It was over his country now, but in a short while it would be over the Country of Lightning. Something rang in his brain as he thought about this, but he decided it was better to ignore it and fall unconscious. The kids should be fine for the next few hours. They were ninja after all.
 
***********************************
 
The klaxon sounded, and fifteen stray pieces of chakra disentangled themselves from the rocks they had been assigned to and returned to their owner, their tasks now completed and their programs ended. Sighing, Sayuki put the horn down and stretched her arms. Sitting around for two hours had been exhausting in itself, especially since nothing important seemed to have happened. The woman took her time walking out of the building, wondering what she expected to find. Were they stuck in the mansion somewhere, waiting patiently to try and bypass some guards, and now finding it futile to do so? Were they still outside, taking far too long to plan their entry and escape route? She was aware that the time limit was unfair, but it was mainly to see how they would improvise.
 
She jokingly thought that they might have succeeded long ago and had spent an hour waiting outside for her. It seemed unlikely, and as she passed the scroll room, she found it untouched. Then, with horror, it struck her, that they might have fallen victim to one of the more deadly traps and been dead for hours. The Raikage would have her head if something like that had happened, but only a complete amateur would fall for the fatal traps, the rest were merely designed to contain. She wondered if she should have removed them before the exercise began.
 
She cast all such thoughts aside as she left the building through the main entrance. She always found it a little strange that this area had the least traps, it seemed poor logic that the main entrance would be the last way a ninja would try to break in. By the tree where she had started the exercise, she saw three children, one of whom was asleep, and another eating. The third ran up to her when they saw each other.
 
“Sayuki-san,” the girl cried out to her. “We did it. We completed your exercise.” Sayuki stopped in shock as she saw the girl wave the scroll over her head. It looked unopened, thus ruining her chance to tell them they had failed for that reason. A flash of amazement rippled through her body, before calming down. What did she have to be concerned about? This is exactly what she had been expecting of them.
 
“Very good, girl,” the high rank ninja replied as they met each other. “Would you like to tell me how you got the scroll? According to my results, there were only two suspicions of intruders and one false alarm.”
 
“Two?” Shikamaru yawned. “I thought we got three. Better than I hoped.” He then seemed to fall back asleep, but she sensed that he was still awake.
 
“It was all Shikamaru's plan really," Ino stated, with an excited buzz. “But it took all of us to implement it. Shikamaru suggested that the best way of getting a look at the place was if we didn't go in ourselves. He figured you would use clones as guards and employ traps. Because of that, he said we couldn't use any illusions or disguises and sneaking in without a map would be too risky, so we got someone else to do it.”
 
“Someone….else?” Sayuki asked, her stutter failing to hide her surprise, as she recalled. a certain little boy she found a while back.
 
“Yeah, we waited back at the mountain path for someone young to come up. Then this guy showed up, so Chouji pounced on him and we interrogated him and found out a few things about him. Then I used my shintenshin no jutsu and…”
 
“I think she can figure out the rest Ino,” Shikamaru piped in.
 
Sayuki didn't say anything. She never suspected. She had allowed herself to be tricked by an incredibly lazy genin and some hyperactive blond ditz. What the hell was wrong with her? His plan was too perfect really. He simply eliminated what could enter the building that wouldn't end the exercise. He knew that the three of them couldn't enter directly, and then he figured that an attempt at impersonating the guards using henge or henso techniques wouldn't work based on her own logic of using clones to prevent it.
 
She expected them to fall at that point, as they'd assumed they were in a situation, similar to real life, where not all of the guards would know each other, thus allowing them to use transformation techniques. Instead, he had used the one thing that would make her drop her guard; an innocent bystander to the situation, who could just waltz in, find that an exercise was going on and politely excuse themselves, meanwhile, that bystander was checking the locations of all the guards and the layout of the place.
 
“Okay, that was quite lucky for you all.” Sayuki said calmly, eliciting a cry of anguish from the girl.
 
“Lucky? That was…”
 
“Tell me what the loud rumble was. I assume it had something to do with you,” she said this last part to Chouji, who seemed to be in a world of his own. When he looked up at her, he just grunted, showing that he hadn't been listening.
 
“Looking at you, I'd say you were probably part of the Hidden Leaf Village`s school of multi-size taijutsu techniques. You probably rolled up into a ball and sped across the empty corridor, distracting my guards.”
 
“They weren't that hard to fool,” Shikamaru sarcastically shouted. “They ignore anything under the right amount of influence.”
 
He was smart, she noted, beyond basic `I study far too much' smart. His talent for strategy went outside anything she had ever seen before in a genin level ninja. In the two hours provided for him, he had taken everything into account; not just how to obtain the layout of the mansion, the guard patterns, the location of the scroll, figuring out the strength and weakness of the use of clones, getting around not being able to use henge and utilizing the potential of their limited awareness; not to mention all the traps that they avoided. Not only all that, but he also thought about how she would think, both role play `commanding officer wise and `ninja doing an exercise' wise. He was impressive, someone to watch out for in the future and although, overall, she had gone easy on them, he had shown remarkable talent. She almost felt bad for what she had to say next.
 
“Well, taking everything into account for the exercise, including your impressive strategizing and focused implementation…”Both boys graced her with their eyes, as she stood with hands on hips. “I congratulate you on failing miserably in obtaining the scroll.”
 
“What?” Ino shouted out, immediately charging at the woman and getting stopped by a single hand. “How the hell did we fail? We snuck in, we got the damn scroll.” Sayuki watched as steam shot out of the small girl's head in an amusing manner. She let her a feeling of superiority wash over her again. It felt good to have it back after losing it just then.
 
“Shikamaru-kun,” she called out, stopping the rampage of the thirteen year old. “Tell your friend why you have failed. I know you know.” Shikamaru just looked towards her as if every move was a constant struggle.
 
“You wanted brown scroll, we have green scroll,” he said simply, before he began procrastinating again.
 
“So you did know. Why didn't you try to get the brown scroll then?” the jounin asked out of simple curiosity. Shikamaru looked at her like she had asked why he hadn't slit his own neck.
 
“Too damn troublesome,” he stated simply. “You only expected us to get the green scroll anyway. I couldn't be bothered to make us do anymore.”
 
“What?” Ino screamed again, before charging towards her nakama. The boy stopped her with his hand, the girl trying to push against it to get at him. “You knew we had failed and yet you let us just sit out here for forty five minutes, watching me celebrate and everything. I even hugged Chouji. HUGGED CHOUJI! Do you realize how excited I have to be to want to hug someone?”
 
“Yeah, yeah I hear you, woman.”
 
“Don't you usually always try to hug Sasuke though?” Chouji asked looking up from his crisps.
 
“That's different though. He and I are soul mates,” she explained with perfect logic.
 
“I doubt he thinks that,” Shikamaru stated.
 
“You dare?” Ino continued the futile rushing against Shikamaru's hand as Sayuki stared on in bewilderment. They were quite the amusing team. The fat kid seemed just as concerned with losing as Shikamaru was. It was as if the girl was more than making up for the lack of positive energy the others didn't have. They were also closer than they let on; this seemed to be more an `inside joke' thing between the three of them, especially since the girl was making no real effort to get past the boy's hand. Sayuki found herself chuckling at the events before her, and idly thought about buying them breakfast tomorrow for doing so well anyway.
 
“Enjoying yourself?”
 
She spun round, her thoughts stopping as soon as the echoed approached her ears. Only the empty forest was there, leading deep into the mountainside, promising nothing but death to all those who entered without any guide. The voice woke her up; how could she be having fun with these little kids? She shook off the effect of the scene before her before shouting at the group.
 
“That's enough. Meet me in the square tomorrow at nine am sharp. If you're late, you won't get lunch. You're already missing breakfast.” She disappeared before the sound before the words reached the ears of the others. They stopped what they were doing and looked at the spot where she had been standing; the hollowness of her voice echoing throughout the woods.
 
“Erm… what was that about?”
 
****************************************
 
All rational thought left her body at what he said, and a small growl might have left her lips, if someone could hear it. Her hands fell apart,the left curling into a fist and spinning behind her, slamming into the neck of the cook. It instantly went through the Danjuro, and Sayuki cursed herself as she realized how her reflexes had allowed herto screw up. Her hand became drenched with water as the mizubushin dispersed, around it, the illusionary water igniting an adrenaline rush.
 
Without hesitating, she aimed a flying kick towards the tornado thatwas quickly falling apart. A few of the larger rocks had already rupturedthe ground around her as they broke free of the prison and she knew she would have to be quick. Concentrating all of her remaining energy she formed a loose wall of chakra in front of her, far weaker than the one she had up a moment ago but enough to serve the kunoichi effect. She felt the remaining debris slam into her wall and forced them towards the ground, where she knew the real Danjuro would still be stuck.
 
She could only guess when the rocks would hit him, and she was far too out of it to care. She felt obliviontry to claim her, her chakra reserves now empty, and for a few sweet moments she welcomed it, the bliss of unconsciousness surrounding her. She awoke an unknown amount of time later to feel a searing pain in her left arm. Several small metallic needles had pierced through her skin and a large amount of blood was pouring out. Her eyes widened as they tried to focus on the small projectiles; in her current weakened state, she had noidea if they were poisonous or not. Finding itnearimpossible to move, her arm slowly scraped along the ground, and she realized it had four fractures, the rest of her body was in a similar state. Determined, she struggled to reacha hidden pouch under her vest, where she pulled out a small bottle. She flexed her back, and quickly rolledover, using the momentum to pull the bottle to her mouth. She pulled the top off with her teeth and drank the contents quickly, hoping the needles carried only a simple poison, if there even was one.
 
As she lay there, wanting to resta fewminutes, but knowing that she wouldn't allow it herself. She hearda loud groan, as a blur in front of her tried to get up. She guessed it to be her opponent, lying in front of her, in a similar state to herself. As her vision came back to her, she saw that the man had cuts and gashes everywhere, and his leg was clearly as broken as her hand. Itlooked like he had stayed in the middle of the technique all the way through the battle. It was impressive that he was still alive. She wanted to grin, but could do no more than rest her chin on the earth.
 
“Danjuro-sencho!” avoice from around her cried out. She saw something land by the jounin and smash a rock that was covering his leg. Her vision was going again. She saw the blur check over the fallen ninja, examiningthe extent of his injuries. Her eyes, there were something wrong with them, she could barely see.
 
“Danjuro-sencho, the mission is a success, sir. All targets have been destroyed, sir.” The trooper had to wait a moment before it received an answer. The voice sounded very pissed off.
 
“Fine,” Danjuro said. “Let's get out of here. Get any wounded or dead and let's go.” He laughed to himself, coughing out blood as he did so. Hadn't the last fight ended up like this as well, one of them being dragged away their subordinates, whilst the other one lay just as defeated on the floor? It was a shame really, she had done so well because she had been expecting him, whilst he had no idea of her presence until she showed herself. How wouldit have gone if they hadboth been expecting each other?
 
“Sir, what about the woman?” Sayuki would have frozen if she weren't alreadyparalysed. She had no idea where any of her nakama were. Her companions could have all died by now if the plan had gone wrong. Even if it had gone right, none would come for her now. She had specifically ordered it.
 
“Leave her. She's my rival. I'll kill her when I'm ready.”
 
“Sir.” Her vision faded as her eyelids fell, the enemy disappearing behind cut skin. For a few moments, everything was unexpectedly quiet, the explosions died down to their last few embers, before cutting off, like somebody had ripped the tape out. She enjoyed the peace, satisfied withthe success of her mission. Onceshe felt ready to move again, she whispered to herself.
 
“Your plan is safe, Dejiro-kun. I'll leave the rest to you.”
 
End chapter 3
 
 
 
Yay, it finished. I hope someone enjoyed that. Now if you could just provide me with a vast amount of wealth, then I'll be happy to do the next chapter.
 
*This moment was brought to you by the guards of Tenchu. Ah, how stupid they were.
 
 
Glossary for chapter 3
 
Bushin no jutsu: Replication technique: Create an intangible copy/clone/bunshin of the user
 
Henge: Short for henge no jutsu: Transformation technique: Allows the user to give off the appearance of someone or something else
 
Henso: Short for henso no jutsu: Disguise and impersonation technique: A non-chakra technique. The user simply dresses up and acts the part of something else.
 
Taijutsu: Hand techniques: In other words, basic fighting techniques in hand-to-hand combat. Uses no chakra, but stamina instead
 
Suiton: Water techniques. Normally said before one gets used
 
Shichinin no Shinobi katana: The seven Sword shinobi/ninja: A group of seven ninjas residing from the Hidden Village of Mist that specialize in using large swords. Zabuza and Kisame are technically part of the group (although both are outcasts now). Danjuro isn't officially part of the group, even in this storyline.
 
Dekorine-chan: Ino's pet name for Sakura: The translation is loose, but it pretty much means Forehead-girl
 
Konohagakure: The long name of The Hidden Village of Leaves, normally shortened to `Konoha'
 
Byagugan: White eye: The bloodline limit of the Hyuuga family: Awakens the ultimate potential of the eyes, allowing them to see everything physical
 
Ninpou: Makimonomane no jutsu: Ninja skill: Scroll copy technique: A made up technique by myself. Copies a scroll exactly by using chakra to seep into the parchment and feel the imprint of the ink. A special blank scroll is used to copy the imprint.
 
Shintenshin no jutsu: Mind exchange technique: Ino's primary skill, allows her to switch her body with that of the opponents. The opponent falls asleep in the user's original body for the duration of the technique (I think). Can only be used in a straight line though, if it misses, the spirit has to get back to its it's = it is original body by itself. This can take a few minutes and leave the body undefended. Used for spying. Many uses, including taking out a powerful opponent.
 
Mizubushin: Water replication/ clone: A more tangible form of the bushin. Made of water. When the illusion is shattered, the water just drops out. Rephrase
 
Kunoichi: A slang term for a female ninja
 
Danjuro-senchou: A Japanese ranking term for a superior officer. Not sure what the western equivalent would be
 
Nakama: Comrade, companion, teammates (take your pick)
 
Kikai: I think I've written this wrong, but it's the name of Shino's bugs.
 
-ojousan: Polite way to refer to a woman.