Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes to Ashes ❯ A New Start ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The night sky swallowed the peaceful hidden village of the Leaf as the patrols guarded against the unknown. A cloaked figure neared the massive gates from the road leading to the village, not giving a second thought to those Anbu intently gazing at him. As the man neared the barrier a small gust of wind blew back his dark cloak and those watching him could only wonder how the man, no the boy, could carry such a thing. The boy only looked ahead; he was back.
 
XXXXX
 
An elderly man walked along the dark streets of the Leaf, humming to himself as he went to his home, where his grandson would hopefully be asleep. The man's unique hat covered his balding head and not even the thought of old age could dampen his smile. Everything was going well in the village; many missions being completed, a low causality rate, and a new batch of Genin were going to be graduating tomorrow. Tomorrow…. Was there something special about that day?
 
The Hokage's eyes snapped up as a figure walked towards him, a dark cloak covering his body. No matter how much covered the stranger the old man still knew what laid underneath and a smile appeared on his face; he remembered what was so special with tomorrow. The dark figure walked past the old man and the Hokage coughed. “You're going to the academy tomorrow to be placed onto a Genin team.”
 
The boy turned around in surprise but the old man just laughed, continuing to walk on and leaving the boy wondering.
 
XXXXX
 
Ino would normally be taking her sweet time getting to the academy, window shopping on her way, but not today, today was an important day after all. Today would be the day in which she would get her own genin team and finally show that pink-haired girl, as well as show the whole world, exactly who they were dealing with. Well, said girl was also a problem right now because- “Ino-pig! I won't lose to you!”
 
The two girls were neck in neck heading for the final stretch of their competition as their classroom came into sight. In a mad dash the two girls spewed into the room, both claiming to be first, breathing heavily. “Haha you Pig, I got in first.” The blond haired girl held herself proudly. “Ya right Sakura! Ha! I won and now Sasuke's mine!” Ino quickly turned around, grabbing onto the infamous Uchiha. “Sasuke-kun! You'll be on my team right?” Sakura fumed, and she sat down on the other side of the black haired boy and snuggling herself against him to his utter annoyance.
 
Sitting on the highest tier of the room the cloaked boy stared at the blabbering masses, what a waste of time. He wouldn't have returned had it not been the yelling of his guardian, not exactly his sensei, and when he did come back the Hokage made him do this; go on a useless genin team. The boy closed his eyes, feeling the eyes of the class on him, it was always the same. No matter where he went it always seem to haunt him and the eyes were always piercing through him, trying to find something deep inside of himself.
 
The boy cracked open his eye, hearing the noise of the room drop significantly and knowing that something must have occurred for that to happen. “Class, today is the day that you've all been waiting for, and-and” the boy stared at the older man, a scar bisecting his nose; didn't the man know that emotions did not belong in the shinobi world? Joy, happiness, pride, they all clouded the mind. The teacher cleared his throat. “Your new teams have been decided. Oh wait. We have a new classmate.” All eyes focused on the boy in the dark cloak. “Yes. It was somewhere around here.” The man pulled out a letter from one of the pockets of his vest and read it over quickly. The anticipating body of genin did notice it but for the blonde boy it was simple, sweat, stuttered speech, visible anxiety in his eyes, yup, he knew.
 
“Here-here's your new classmate, Uzumaki Naruto.” Naruto walked to the front of the room, not bothering to take off the cloak that covered his body. “W-Well tell us about yourself.” Iruka asked, nervously twitching. The boy said nothing; he only stared at the sea of anticipating kids.
 
“Ok. Well create a Bunshin to pass the genin test.” The chuunin stated and the boy complied, creating a replication of himself quite easily. The eyes still trailed him as he walked back to the top, and he didn't bother to look at the rest of the class as he walked by.
 
A slight ripple in his skin caused the blonde to turn around, catching the crumpled letter in his hand as he did so. He had turned a little too quickly however and the hood of his cloak fell back, showing his spiky blonde hair and his whiskered cheeks to the room. Giddy voices filled the room now and the boy quickly put his hood back on, continuing on through the class room. “Did you see him?” “Why is he hiding?” “He's beautiful.” The whispers continued to permeate the class and the boy almost let out a sigh of relief but then he heard a distinct male voice whisper as though to himself. “What the hell was he carrying?”
 
Naruto sat down; still feeling the eyes on him as he carefully adjusted his cloak to his position. Slowly he turned his head to the right to find a pair of blank eyes gazing at him intently. As soon as his eyes locked on, the other pair was gone and he could see the red infusing into the girl's cheeks, another one full of unnecessary emotions. “Ok everyone lets get started.” The man in front coughed again. “Starting with Team Seven there's Inuzuka Kiba, Haruno Sakura, and… Uchiha Sasuke.” A shrill scream pierced the room and the pink haired girl leapt up and down. “Haha! Beat you Ino-Pig!” The pony-tailed girl burst with anger but soon calmed when her name was called. “Team Eight will be Yamanaka Ino, Hyuuga Hinata, and… Uzumaki Naruto.” Naruto sighed, glancing at the blonde who was going to be his teammate, of all the people it had to be that noisy one. A small voice sounded in his ear and he doubted anyone else could have heard it as the other teams were decided. “N-Nice t-to meet you.” The boy turned his head to look into those pale eyes again and he figured it was his other teammate, `Stuck with an indecisive girl as well.'
 
The three new teammates didn't have to wait long after the chuunin finished announcing their teams for their Jounin teacher to arrive. The cloaked boy followed a few paces behind his dark haired teacher when the group was walking through the street, the two girls silently by her side, that blonde one fuming for some reason or another. It wasn't until they passed by a shop with a red sign reading “Quality Clothes Here!” did Naruto realize that he had been snared, it was the second time passing that sign. Any normal person would have thought it not odd to have a double of the same shop but Naruto knew differently, the smells didn't match what his eyes told him.
 
Silently moving his hands into a seal Naruto slipped away from his new team, leaving an exact replication in his place as he hopped onto the rooftops, observing their movements and looking for any sign of possible attack. He had been correct in assuming that it was genjutsu, if a weak one at that, because they were now in a residential district instead of a market where the jutsu told them to be.
 
The boy wondered why exactly the skill had been used but he didn't have time to think long when a voice he had come to learn spoke out. “Haven't we been walking in the market for a while! I mean I've seen that dress one times too many!” His Jounin teacher only looked at the blonde girl. “What could you possibly mean Ino-san?” This time the blank eyed girl looked at the older woman, “I-I also think it has been a long walk Kurenai-sensei.” The woman arched an eyebrow. “And you boy?” his clone simply nodded, or what seemed to be a nod, while still looking straight ahead.
 
“That's great! You all did very well in seeing the genjutsu!” The Jounin waved her hand and the illusion disappeared, which earned a squeak from the Hyuuga. “You all pass the real genin exam. Congratulations, we are now officially team eight.” Kurenai spoke, giving them a small smile. Naruto just stared at her; that was it? He had thought the Bunshin test was pathetic but just a genjutsu test for being on a team? Just how strong, or weak for that matter, was the Leaf?
 
Team eight proceeded to the forest where they sat in a clearing set aside just for them. Promptly their sensei sat down on a log, telling them to join and Naruto continued to watch from afar, trying to see if his teacher actually sensed his presence. “So I want everyone to state their name, their likes, dislikes and goals.” Ino immediately stood up, smiling brightly.
 
“I'm Yamanaka Ino. I like flowers, dresses, and ummm a certain boy. I dislike loud people, and lazy people. And my dream is to get a certain someone…” she blushed as she spoke and all Naruto thought in his mind was `She should quit being a kunoichi.'
 
The shy girl was up next, her short blue hair shifting slightly as she stood up. “I'm-I'm Hyuuga Hinata. I-I-I admire.... I dislike… My dream-My dream is…” she sat back down, not able to say anything. `She is very indecisive.'
 
“Boy you're up next.” His teacher said curtly and Naruto had a feeling she didn't quite trust him. The clone stood and Kurenai drew a kunai, throwing it at him. “Sensei!” Ino screamed. Blood sprang from Naruto and the girls watched horrified as he collapsed to the ground, only to disappear in a cloud of smoke. Naruto fell from his perch, no longer feeling a need to hide away and Kurenai raised an eyebrow but quickly hid her shock. `That wasn't a normal Bunshin?'
 
The two kunoichi gaped at him as though they had spotted a ghost and Naruto walked to them, finding a smile on his sensei's face. “Good of you to join us.” Ino's mouth tried to form words and Hinata just looked dumbstruck. “How-When-What?” Ino stated, confused as ever. “He was gone before you found out about the illusions.”
 
Before Kurenai could speak again Naruto was a blur, charging straight at the woman. The boy threw a kick at her and he wasn't too surprised when she parried his foot and then stand to stare at him. “Just what do you think you're doing boy?” Naruto stood in a crouched fighting position, “That is what I wanted to ask you, SIR.”
 
Ino's eyes were wide as saucers and she intended to reprimand the boy for making such a rude comment when a chuckle erupted from her sensei. “Very well, come and make me speak.” Naruto didn't wait until his “sensei” was in any position to fight as he disappeared in a blur, only to come back behind the person.
 
A smile appeared on Kurenai's face at the boy's attack, he was quite good. The woman turned around to block the attack but she was fully surprised when the fist passed right through her hand while a heavy blow connected to her back.
 
The two girls stared in disbelief as the woman no, man, came to a halt. The tall ninja, as he seemed to be by the skills he showed, had silver hair that jutted into one direction and a look that said he was impressed, it was not every day that a genin could land a blow to a Jounin. “Why are you here?”
 
The Jounin smiled, or what Naruto took as a smile underneath that mask. “An articulate one aren't you?” Naruto lowered himself, preparing to strike again. “If anything happens go back into the village.” Naruto said to no one in particular but he knew the two girls were nodding, knowing what to do.
 
The man put up his hands, “I'm not here to fight, actually I was just helping a friend and…” The man grabbed a hold of the frightened blonde kunoichi and held her to the ground, a kunai pressed to her neck. “Kill the other girl or she gets it.” Naruto's eyes narrowed beneath his cloak and he quickly subsided the rage coursing through him.
 
“The mission always comes first.” Naruto stated at a whisper and the man arched an eyebrow, the kunai making contact with her skin. “She'll die if you don't kill the other girl!”
 
Naruto calmly walked forward. “But those shinobi who can't protect their teammates are dirt.” A smile appeared on the man's face. “Very good boy.” The man slowly stood to the kunai held to his own neck by a clone, or was it the real thing?
 
A woman appeared by his side, a cool and serene look about her. “Sorry. I just had to test you to see if you could pick out an imposter.” Spoke their real sensei. The man took advantage of the sudden appearance of the woman and disappeared while Kurenai took a seat next to the two girls after she pulled Ino up, Naruto still standing.
 
“Ninja's are holders of many secrets and it is imperative that a ninja knows who exactly they are giving information to. You were lucky that this boy was able to sense the genjutsu or else you would have failed. There are also times when a shinobi must decide between life and death and in those times a shinobi must not falter, they must work together.”
 
The frightened Ino slowly came back to her senses. “So we passed sensei?” Woman nodded and Ino let out a joyous yell. “HAHA! I can beat any test thrown at me!” Ino sat back down and then she realized she knew nothing of the boy in front of her except for his name and that he was a skilled ninja, not as skilled as her of course.
 
“Hey! You still haven't introduced yourself Naruto!” Ino yelled and Hinata sat timidly, not able to say anything especially after that event. How many times had she been told she was weak and that she depended on people? It was not very different now that she was on a genin team. She, a Hyuuga, couldn't even detect a genjutsu even when Kurenai-sensei taught her so much and her bloodline gave her an advantage in seeing them. Hinata felt pathetic. She couldn't speak, she couldn't fight, heck she couldn't even move but somehow it felt as though she was following the right path when she determined she would work as hard as she could and learn from her team.
 
Ino spoke again, taking the center of attention once again. “Well are you gonna say something?” Naruto tensed, clenching his fist underneath his cloak. “My name is Uzumaki Naruto, that is all you need to know.” The blonde pointed her finger at him. “You can't cheat like that! Let us see who you really are?” Ino lunged at him, trying to take off his cloak but failed miserably as she fell to the ground when Naruto sidestepped her attempt. “Don't do that.”
 
“What are you hiding under there!? Why can't we see?” Ino gritted her teeth, trying again to take off his cloak, why was he hiding his face?
 
“Is it just because you're scared? Huh? Is that it? Too scared to show your ugly face?” To her surprise Naruto stopped, forcing her to halt her attempts because she did not want to accidentally run into him.
 
“Scared? I don't have to luxury to be scared.” Naruto let his shoulders relax, if he was going to work with them, then they might as well see what he looked like. Naruto found the piece of cloth holding the cloak to him and undid it, letting his protection fall to the ground. The three females looked at him, stunned. Naruto was around five foot three and possessed a body that could only be called muscular. He didn't have those massive muscles of one solely devoted to weight lifting but for a boy of twelve he was built but that must have been because of the massive sword he carried on his back. Ino didn't know how the boy in front of him could possibly carry such a thing; it was as long as he was and probably one foot thick, it must have weighed a ton! The sharpened steel of both sides of the thing looked like it would be able to cut into a tree trunk like it was nothing.
 
The second Ino looked at his face she was done marveling at the sword he carried. Naruto's thick blonde hair swayed gently in the wind and his light blue eyes captivated her, they were the perfect reflection of the sky, except, except they seemed to hold nothing in them, not an ounce of emotion. Naruto's face seemed to have lost the fat in its cheeks and he had a more mature look on par with that of the prized Uchiha. Not only did he look mature but those lines that were scarred on his face made him look, well for no better word for it, hot.
 
Ino looked him up and down as was surprised the boy had such taste. His black pants matched with his black tank top, which looked to be made from a soft, yet tough, material. Ino tired not to stare at his body but who couldn't when the top covering the boy was clinging so that it showed his muscles. The rest of his chest was covered with mesh netting, going up to his collar bone. Across his chest he wore a belt diagonally with knives looped into it. They weren't your regular kunai with a long handle; instead they looked to be designed specifically for throwing. Of course he also carried the usual shuriken/kunai holster on his left leg but upon closer inspection Ino spotted something behind him and the grip to it named it as another weapon that was held behind his lower back.
 
Naruto's right hand was covered in a black gauntlet, which went up to below his elbow, and the rest of his arm was covered in bandages. Naruto's left palm was bandaged as well, probably for a better grip on his sword. The only color that was not black or white on him was a piece of dark red cloth, tied securely around his right bicep.
 
The females were snapped out of their trance when Naruto put his cloak back on, done with letting them look at him. “Wha-wha-wha.” Ino tried to speak but she was still dumbfounded by his appearance, he was a one man arsenal for crying out loud. Naruto turned, letting the wind catch his cloak for an instant. “If that's all then I'm leaving.”
 
Coming out of her ogling Ino stood up, looking at her new team. “How about we all go for something to eat?” Naruto continued to walk on, not turning around while he said, “I'll pass.” Not one to give up Ino used plan B. “Hey we need to get to know each other if we're gonna be on the same team right? So let's go!”
 
The blonde boy turned around reluctantly finding nothing wrong with her logic. “Let's go then.” Happily Ino grabbed onto the two other members of the squad, who were still shocked by Naruto's appearance, and quickly took the lead, having the young man walk behind her.
 
After a short walk from the fields Ino promptly decided on a small ramen stand where she heard they could get some decent food. Only after the boy sat down did Ino chose a seat, planting herself right next to him because he had become her next big mystery. Ino was the type of person who wanted to find whatever there was hidden underneath, such as when she took in Sakura to learn why everyone picked on her or Ino's crush on the Uchiha who was so mysterious and hidden. Some would say that she was nosey but she preferred curious, I mean who didn't want to know about some boy who carried a sword as big as he was?
 
Ino tried to spark small talk but she wasn't getting anywhere. Kurenai and Hinata sat to one side, the girl meekly letting the woman instruct her, more like lecturing, and so Ino couldn't talk to those two and the boy, well he was just annoying.
 
Ino looked over to her right and saw the noodles of the ramen disappearing into the hood of the cloak. “Hey Naruto why don't you just wear your hood down? You've got nothing to hide right?” The swordsman looked over to her and his hood shook back and forth and Ino frowned. If he wasn't going to do it then she would. Like lightning her hand went to his hood and she pulled it down, revealing his face to the old man and girl behind the counter who gasped at his appearance, the latter ogling with a lustful look.
 
“Boy. Boy is that really you?” Naruto put his hood back on and turned to leave, leaving them all staring at him because they didn't know why he was in such a hurry. Ino quickly left the stand, which left Hinata, who was twiddling with her fingers, and Kurenai, who yelled at them to meet by some tree tomorrow. The sun had already sunk and Ino hugged herself for warmth as she shadowed the boy. `Where exactly is he going?' As soon as they had gotten away from eyeshot of the stand the cloaked boy in front of her disappeared, making Ino cross her arms in frustration. Where could he have gone?
 
Ino began to walk in the direction she thought Naruto had gone but then decided it wasn't worth her trouble to go after him and headed for home. She walked for about two blocks when she heard the pounding of flesh onto the wall and she ducked behind a trash can to get a better look into the darkening alley.
 
Ino almost let out a squeak when she saw the two figures, her academy sensei and her new teammate. Naruto pinned the chuunin to the wall with a kunai to his throat. “What do you need Sensei?” Naruto emphasized his title and the man looked at him with disgust. “Want? I want you! I want you dead!”
 
Naruto shook his head sadly. “I mean you no harm.” Naruto let him go from the wall, turning as to walk away. “No harm! You killed my parents you DEMON!” Iruka lunged at the receding figure but before he could get into striking distance he was knocked back by Naruto, who showed no signs of countering except for the movement of his cloak.
 
After Naruto had disappeared Ino crumbled onto the ground, her eyes still wide from the sight. Demon? What was Iruka-sensei talking about? When did Naruto kill his parents? Where had Naruto been? Who was he?
 
XXXXX
 
Far from Konoha sat a ring of nine, all shrouded in a mist of darkness. Although each one was hidden from the other they all knew who and what they were and that no one would, or could for that matter, stand in their way. A husky voice spoke out, obvious dismay in his voice. “Where is she! How could we have not found her yet!” A cold voice spoke next, bringing on an icy chill. “She has hidden herself well; after all, she is one of the Jinchuuriki…”
 
Review Plz, tell me what u like and what u don't thx and keep on reading