Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Brothers ❯ Hard Decisions ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Brother

By: Tai (AKA Aymia)

Summary: One-shot between my two favorite characters, Sasuke and Itachi Uchiha. What was really behind Itachi's massacre of his clan?

Disclaimer: I only wish I owned the show Naruto. Cause then I'd own Sasuke and Itachi!!

AN: This story is in Itachi's pov



I entered the home I shared with my family as quietly as I possibly could. A sigh in our livingroom stopped me in my tracks. I relaxed when I recognized my brother's sleeping form. Wrapping my cloak around me to hide the blood from my latest opponent, I picked Sasuke up and walked towards his room.

It took only moments to settle him in and I was nearly to the door when his sleepy voice turned me back.

"Aniki? I tried to wait up for you." I sighed, having hoped I would get off without answering his questions. I suppose, in a way, I understood. Sasuke was, after all, only seven years old.

"You shouldn't have, little brother. You should have rested up for the fair tomorrow." His half-awake eyes brightened momentarily before turning a bit sullen.

"You can't come, can you, Aniki?" He asked softly.

"No, but you can tell me how much fun it was, okay?" I tried to make my tone light, though many could say it was not my strongest point. For Sasuke, I would try.

"Now, go to sleep. I'll say good-bye to you in the morning." I left before he could stop me.

Hours later found me in my room, attempting to read an advanced book on Taijutsu, the art of using your body as its own weapon. I could hear the loud snoring from down the hall and recognized my father's nasal exertions. I growled in disgust and threw my book on the bed. Pacing didn't help matters, so I left the room and went farther down the hall to Sasuke's room.

The boy slept peacefully, despite the racket that could raise an elephant herd to a stand-still.

I sat as comfortably as possible in the chair near his bedside. Wrapping the spare blanket around me, I prepared to sleep, as I often had before.

"Aniki?" Sasuke questioned sleepily just as I nearly fell into dreamland.

"Sleep, Sasuke." I ordered softly.

"Aniki, you'll always be there to protect me, won't you?" That sentence clenched at my heart and at the hard decision I had been thinking on lately.

'You'll protect me, won't you?'

"I can't always be there, Sasuke. You know that." I made my voice one with chiding, hiding my more serious thoughts.

"But...Father says I have to go to the acadamy so I can learn to protect myself. I said that you'd be there to protect me forever." His voice sounded confident and that was what tipped the scales in favor of my darker choice.

"Sleep, Sasuke." I commanded in a steadier voice, already thinking on my plan. He obeyed me, closing his eyes. I waited until his breathing evened out before settling on the chair once more.

Soon, not tomorrow or even the next day, but soon, I would destroy my entire clan. Not because I'm ambitious, as my master once commented.

No, to help this little boy grow to be a man. I knew I could never be there to protect him so I would teach him to protect himself. Left to his own devices, Sasuke would wallow in self-pity. But no, I would make him strong. I would give him something to live for. He would be an Avenger. He would live only to kill someone someday and to grow strong to do just that.

Someday, my little brother who loves and adores me so. Someday, my little Sasuke would kill me. And then I would welcome death with open arms.

AN: A bit angsty at the end, but hey, it sounded a bit right to me. I haven't really heard much on the relationship between the brothers except the snippets from the TV series and monthly Shonen Jump issues, so most of this is really fabricated. Hope you enjoyed. Working on a sequel one-shot to follow up on this one.

Luv you all, Aymia