Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Captivation ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Updating a bit sooner than I had thought.I always wanted Shikamaru and Sakura to have a strong friendship, so this chapter is mainly about Shikamaru reminiscing. Please don't get any ideas about ShikaSaku even if it DOES sound like it, it's not. Hope you enjoy it. Review please.
 
NOTE: Consistent profanity
 
Chapter 2
 
She was never a morning person. Never. She never was and never will be. She snatched her new alarm clock and threw it across the restricted space of her room. Suddenly realizing what she had done, she bolted to her newly ruined clock. Granted from the sudden movement and having no time to notice the batch of laundry underneath her, her foot got hitched into the pile of mesh shorts and fish net shirts. Facing directly vertical from her floor she blew a piece of stray hair that was caught wandering in her mouth. Both hands slowly crept to level with her shoulders and wearily lifted her body from the carpet up gently. “Crap.” A lilt tone emitted from her tenuous lip.
 
“Sakura-chan?” She collapsed back onto the floor and weltered over until she was able to meet up with the owner of the voice. She didn't exactly have to turn to recognize who uttered her name. She would be able to tell his voice out of 300 people. After all, it's what happens after living three years with the energetic kitsune boy. “Sakura-chan?” He called out once again, echoing the same tone and tenor.
 
She blinked once...twice and a third time to get the crusted mucus out of her vision. “Naruto? Up so early? Unlike you.” He promenaded over to her and pulled her up, keeping his hand somewhat near her waist just in case. After what seemed like forever for her to regain her balance she forced herself out of Naruto's reach and walked over to the door and played with the knob before repeating herself. “Why are you up so early?”
 
He smiled, genuinely, and laughed. The beginning of his laughter never came but the ending croaked out heavily and raspy. Sakura elevated an eyebrow and walked back to where she last stood. Extending a slender arm out to his cheek, she grasped it with her index and thumb finger, pinching them together until his lips scrunched and his cheek bones protruded. She gazed into his eyes and tilted her head until she was able to see the hidden bloodshot eyes underneath his half lidded eye lids. She released her clutch on him and headed towards her section of the bathroom but not before lifting a finger and giving him the body language of “wait until I get out and then explain.”
 
Ten minutes after, she found Naruto asleep on her bed. She ignored the idea to shake her head and glanced at her broken clock. Crap...what time is it now? Grudgingly, she walked herself to her blinds and separated the two horizontal plastic materials away from each other and furrowed her eyebrows together. The sun wasn't exactly up yet, but the hue was starting to look vibrant off the many layers of the giant star. Pink and orange caressed the sky above with an imbue of yellow penetrated through the couples.
 
Walking back to the bed, she grabbed a random sheet a paper and scribbled down,
 
Naruto, on mission...won't be back for a while. If you have the time,
Can you buy me an alarm clock? I'll treat you out to ramen when I get back.
Thanks a lot! Much Love, Sakura.
 
Gathering what was needed into her small bag, (A/N: I'll leave it up to you guys to decide what goes in there.) She took one last glance back at her friend and stepped out of the small abode. She wistfully looked back at their house and sighed. I better get going. Within a poof, she was no longer in sight.
 
“Not bad.”
 
She hated that voice. The ever so calm and collected voice of that bastard. It reminded her of something -no- someone. She couldn't quite place her finger on that person though. Never mind it; it'll all come to her sooner or later. She scoffed at him and turned her nose. “Don't tell me what's bad and what's not.”
 
He smirked. Not even two days with this girl and he was already annoyed, yet pleasure filtered throughout his body. He liked to toy with her, mess with her head. The irritation side of her seemed to have gotten the best of him. It wasn't as annoying as her logical side. “I wouldn't have too if it wasn't bad.” He could see a scowl inscribed on her radiant face. It only made her look uglier. Okay, that was cold and he was lying. She didn't look that bad. Actually, she didn't look bad at all, it's just knowing him...he'd never be one to admit he's attractive to her, or anyone for that matter. And YES, he is straight.
 
“Can we just get this over with?”
 
He didn't answer. It was still dark outside and only sets of the sun and risen on them. As they approached the area, the lambency of a flashlight reflected off the gate and the sentry there, jumped down to get a closer view of the two ANBUs. A short ponytail was placed on his head and his hands were stuffed inside his soothing pockets. They didn't seem like they would be coming out any time soon either. “Name?” He asked in a hushed voice.
 
That voice....Shikamaru. Sakura rolled her eyes. It wasn't even that dark to even have a flashlight with them and the tranquility in his voice was too deafening for the morning. It was expected from him. His lulling tone and his posture. The indolent man had a forthcoming mission so why was he here?
 
“Hyuuga and...”
 
“Haruno.” Sakura concluded her side. The guard nodded and gesticulated for his partner to open the gate for the on going ANBUs. Before taking their leaving, Sakura turned back around and smiled at the otiose person that stood in front of her. “This wasn't expected.” Her collaborator turned his head to see whom she was speaking to. Okay, not him. He growled at her stalling. They had a mission to do and he wasn't about to risk his life with this person as his partner. She was careless and paid no heed towards any danger.
 
Shikamaru stared at her and shrugged delinquently.
 
“Keeping guard of the gate is for volunteers and those who don't have any approaching missions on their backs. You do.” The dumb -smart- boy was wasting his time standing around a gate where people walked in and out of. She could already see a couple of ninjas on the railings above her, guarding the gate. “You should be in bed. Naruto is.”
 
“That's expected from him.”
 
“It is for you too.”
 
He shook his head. “Apparently, our meeting wasn't just about the mission we've received. The fifth obtained news that the Akatsuki organization was planning an assault on the Leaf. It's just a rumor but we can't be too sure. After all, we still have what they want.” He breathed out. That was the longest thing he's ever said this early in the morning. He hasn't gotten any sleep since 29 hours ago. And according to him, that was too long a wait. Maybe he should just listen to the woman and go to sleep. It would do him much better than to guard the gate. He was practically already asleep up there.
 
Sakura understood now why Naruto had been so tired. The Akatsuki were still after the demon that Naruto carried within himself. They planned, since Konoha has been in bad shape, that the best time for them to sneak in and retrieve the power, was when the village was overwhelmed by their already had problems. Travelers from around Japan have been piling up in Konoha for missions and such. Not only that but the Chuunin exam was coming up and everyone would be preoccupied with the test that they wouldn't focus on the village as much as they normally would. It all made sense. The group planned to attack when the least amount of attention was being paid.
 
Neji waited patiently for the conversation to come to an end. But he wanted to hear about this too. It was a wonder why everyone got called into the meeting besides him. He had a mission the next day and couldn't deal with the matter now. It would be too much trouble, but the village was in danger and it was likely that he would be needed if it were. That doesn't give him the right to slack off during his mission now. This was just as important. If the assassination wasn't done, the Sand won't accept the compromise to the Leaf and Konoha would be in more shit than it already is. He closed his eyes. This was too much information for him to handle in one day, much less at 4:57 in the damn morning.
 
“So you're guarding just in case.”
 
Shikamaru nodded his head, “Naruto was here too.”
 
“I could have guessed...” Sakura mumbled. By the way he looked; her first thought was the fact he had gone out to the pub for some drink. Turns out, the meeting had a hard end to it and he was guarding with Shikamaru for awhile until the strategist released him to go home. “He looked like hell when he came home.”
 
“It took some time to get him off the gate and home.” The genius rubbed his shoulders a bit. “Strained my arms.”
 
Sakura smiled at him and turned back to Neji, nearly forgetting about her actual mission and her somewhat ally. “Shit. I have to go. Listen to me and get some sleep. Ino will be on your case today and it's better to get rest for that.” Shikamaru nodded. “Oh and take of the idiot for me, kay?”
 
“Check.”
 
Sakura turned around and lifted a hand as a sign of her parting. She caught up to Neji and for once smiled at him apologetically. “It was needed.” He made no movement to indicate he had heard her or any sound to betoken he had cared. Sakura released a sigh. How the hell was she supposed to work with a guy like this? Their mission was one of the top missions in the assassination category. The only reason she had been chosen was because of her skill for analysis and her status in being one of the top kunoichi in her village. Ino or Hinata could have gotten the job too as spoken. They were just as well trained but they had just gotten back from one recently. She wasn't one to say. She had just gotten back about a week ago and here she was assigned to a new one.
 
She had requested back-up of course. So she was given the one and only Hyuuga Neji. She could deal with him, or so she thought. It was hard for her to kill but she's done it countless of time. It's what happens after being selected as the few female ANBU. She had to show no sign of fear or emotions. That wasn't the tough part though. Killing wasn't the tough part either. It was living after the death had been specified.
 
Shikamaru watched as the two figured walked into total abyss for his eye sight. His team had talked about Sakura's and Neji's mission during the meeting. There were some things he wasn't sure Sakura was capable of, but that was left for the Hyuuga to deal with. He hadn't announced Sakura was weak. Heck, she was the strongest kunoichi he's ever known out there for the time being, save the fifth. She just lacked in her mental abilities. It struck him odd as how the female ninja had gotten close to him after the years they hadn't known each other.
 
It was after his mission or -unsuccessful- mission he had been obligated to do. They came back almost all dead for that matter. The Retrieval of Uchiha Sasuke. He could have made it into a book, the mission, had he wanted too. It was a hard ass mission, especially one for his age. He hadn't understood why the fifth had put him up for that kind of mission. Sure he was a Chuunin but barely for a couple of days. It was until later he had found out that it was best if he had led the mission (considering his skills in analytic thinking) because the old hag had trust him with his ingenious ways and the fact that it was thought if the Uchiha was confronted by people he had been with throughout the year, he'd come back.
 
He remembered it clearly, that day. He had come back along with his comrades, torn and dirty. Ino had nearly cried to see her teammates in such a state. Sakura...she stood in one spot her eyes and dull shade of green. He never forgot that look and the sudden emotion that and sprung out of her. She cried...happily for the safe return of her only teammate she had left. Of course, she wasn't able to cry for long. Naruto had been submitted into the hospital along with the rest of the group besides him. He came out with the least injuries. Not to say that he hadn't any. He did.
 
Flashback
 
“Shikamaru? You're okay, aren't you? Aren't you?!” It was hard for him to shake his head. Ino's voice was already giving him a migraine and shaking his head would only make it worse. “Answer me!”
 
“He's fine, Ino.” He slightly turned to see the roseate hair behind her and the slim hand the reached for the blonde's shoulder. She directed her attention towards him. “Where's Naruto?” He averted his eyes over to where the blonde tumbled. Immediately, the girl raced towards his side, her tears flew in the air and her sobbing emitted. He listened in to her.
 
“Naruto?! Oh Naruto!” She choked out. The blonde looked at her and still managed to smile, bitterly.
 
“Gomen, Sakura-chan. I failed you. I broke our lifetime promise.”
 
“I don't care! I don't care! I don't care anymore, Naruto!” She wailed. She hugged him, a bit too tight for the damage that was placed upon the wounded boy. Even then, he still embraced her back and even then he still smiled his fox smile.
 
“Sorry, Sakura-chan.”
 
“Shut up and stop saying that. You're safe so shut up.” She told him harshly. Through her tears, she laughed as she wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled on his right hand sufficiently over her shoulders.
 
“Where's Chouji?!”
 
There she goes again... The boy turned towards his annoying and rather loud female teammate.
 
“Shikamaru!!”
 
He wearily pointed to where the now reduced size Chouji was. The look on her face was priceless, but it was too painful to laugh. She too had run over to her other teammate. The street was crowded with people and familiar faces. They had been in the same spot for 15 minutes. The audience just wouldn't move. Stubborn asses... It had taken awhile for the crowd to disperse.
 
“No! Wait! I have to come! I have to!” He turned towards where the yelling came from. It was Sakura. She was begging to come along with her only teammate to the hospital. Surprisingly, three Jounins were holding her down as Tsunade and Shizune and Kakashi raced to explain the condition Naruto was in. She was crying again. But this time it was from anger. He watched as everyone was being carried away in a stretcher and snapped back when a heavy arm grabbed his shoulders and squeezed it a bit.
 
“You okay there? Need any medical help?” It was his teacher, or former teacher.
 
“I'll live.”
 
“I'm proud of you Shikamaru.”
 
He rolled his eyes, “I failed the mission.”
 
“It doesn't matter, you came back safely with all of your comrades. That's what's important. You didn't fail anything.” He smiled at him. “I'll catch you around then. Make sure you get a good rest.” Shikamaru nodded silently. His attention was turned back to a soft sniffling.
 
He walked, almost staggering, to the girl and sat down next to her. She was surprised no less. “Hey.”
 
End flashback
 
That was the first word that got him to where he was today. They sparred every once in awhile and he had to admit that she would play a good round of shogi every now and then. She was the best he's played so far. Ino had been surprised when she found out they had been good friends. It was never really official, their friendship. It just happened. Naruto had been good friends with him too so it pretty much worked out for the best.
 
Shikamaru shook his head. Sakura would have been the perfect choice for that if only she had been physically fit at that time. When he had come back without the Uchiha, somehow the girl learned how to mask her emotions. He hadn't thought that the mission would create such a strong impact on him, but it did. He was acarpous many times in his life, but this was different. He failed not only as a shinobi but as a friend.
 
He knew Sakura, not as much as Ino and Naruto, but he knew her well enough to know that this mission was going to be harder than she thinks. Not physically but mentally because what she didn't know was the fact that this feudal lord she was designated to kill was a seducer. The news came in right when they were about to adjourn the meeting. Naruto was pulled back from beating the fifth and he was contemplating whether he should argue along with Naruto.
 
It was stupid. Sakura wasn't allowed to know the information, along with Neji. It would have altered their whole plan if this information was included and their mission would have to wait another week for them to set up. But...not adding the detail was a more advance level to their mission because not only was the lord a seducer, in terms, he was also considered a former S class criminal.
 
He had a horrible past. A kid who grew up learning to seduce and always having concubines around with him as he grew older. Apparently, he had the ability to advance into being a S class criminal. Shikamaru was leaning on his sexual methods to get as well known as that, but that wasn't it. He's been inform of all high ranked outlaws and this feudal lord has never crossed his eyes or path once. How he got to be one of the feudal lords? He had no idea, just the fact that this assassination was way too complicated for him to figure out. He only hoped that Sakura and Neji are smarter than he is. Because if they aren't, they're risking more than just their lives.