Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Case Study of Hatake Kakashi ❯ Case Study of Hatake Kakashi ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Summary: A psychological analysis of Hatake Kakashi using examples from the series and my old Psych 101 notes.
 
Disclaimer: My favorite anime character ever, Hatake Kakashi, is a character from “Naruto” created by the great Kishimoto Mahashi.
 
Author's Notes: Manga Spoilers!Do not read unless you want to know or already know the details of Kakashi's past.Most of thebackground here is canon but there are a few statements which are not fact but estimates of when events occurredand some assumptions. I also gave Rin a last name since it's not fair that she doesn't have one.
 
Case Study of Hatake Kakashi
 
 
Subject: adult male, age 26
 
Occupation: shinobi, jounin level, ex-ANBU member, currently sensei of Team 7
 
Observed personality traits: chronically late, sarcastic, arrogant, intelligent, nonchalant, unconventional, leader, buffoon
 
Diagnosis: Suffering from survivor's guilt manifesting in symptoms of passive aggression and nonconformity; use of defensive coping mechanisms.
 
-…-…-…-
 
Subject's Background
 
Hatake Kakashi entered the Konoha Shinobi Academy at the precocious age of four. He passed the genin trials at five and was promoted to chuunin at six years of age, an achievement no shinobi has duplicated since, not even one of the legendary sannin.
 
Hatake Sakumo, subject's father, a.k.a. White Fang, was a genius ninja on par with the legendary sannin. He abandoned an important mission in order to save his comrades, after which he was disgraced, and blamed even by those he had saved, ultimately resulting in his suicide. Kakashi was 8 years old when he bore witness to this tragedy.
 
Kakashi achieved jounin status at 13 years of age. There was no elaborate ceremony for this promotion. Instead, his reward was to lead his team on a sabotage mission to blow up a bridge in order to prevent forces from Earth Country from entering Grass Country. His sensei and usual team leader, Namikaze Minato (who became the Fourth Hokage soon afterwards) was sent on a different mission.
 
Kakashi's teammates at the time were Mihashi Rin (a female medical ninja), and Uchiha Obito (of the renown Uchiha clan). In the course of their mission, Rin was captured by the enemy. Kakashi ordered Obito to continue the mission, but Obito disobeyed his commander in order to rescue his teammate and reminded Kakashi of Sakumo's decision. Obito considered Kakashi's father a true hero and his remarks caused Kakashi to reconsider his own priorities.
 
Kakashi lost his left eye while protecting Obito and his scar is a result of that injury. They were able to rescue Rin, but were again attacked by the enemy whereupon Obito sacrificed himself to save Kakashi. Upon his death, Obito bequeathed his left eye to Kakashi to replace the one he had lost. Once he obtained it, Kakashi used it at every opportunity and was able to copy over 1000 jutsu, earning him the moniker the copy-ninja.
 
A year later, Kakashi lost his sensei, the Fourth Hokage, who sacrificed himself to seal the Kyuubi (the nine tailed fox demon). Afterwards, Kakashi and his remaining teammate, Rin, joined the ANBU assassination squad where Rin became another willing sacrifice in the name of Konoha.
 
He left the ANBU to become a regular jounin, when he 20. Despite becoming a regular jounin, he was not the leader of a genin squad, having never passed a team. Instead, he primarily went on solo missions and on occasion was temporarily assigned to various teams. Kakashi's genin bell test was not only a physical challenge, but a psychological one. No potential young shinobi could live up to his high expectations of teamwork, until his current team of Uzumaki Naruto, Uchiha Sasuke and Haruno Sakura.
 
-…-…-…-
 
 
Contributing Factors
 
Suicide
The impact of a parent's suicide on a young child of eight, no matter how hardened by war and death, must be devastating. Hatake Sakumo was respected on the order of the legendary sannin, and for him to fall from grace at such a great height would have profoundly affected his entire clan. His disgrace was not only borne by himself, but also by his family, and most directly by his son, Kakashi.
 
What would push someone past his natural instinct for self-preservation to suicide? In the Western culture suicide is normally a manifestation of mental illness and depression. In Sakumo's case, it was said that his mind and body became weak, but it was more likely an honorable attempt to redeem himself and his clan from ignominy. Ritual suicide, seppuku, was a key part of bushido, the code of the samurai warriors. Seppuku was an act of bravery that wiped away transgressions, and enhanced the deceased's reputation. Sakumo may have resorted to this desperate attempt to restore his and his clan's honor. But after the tragedy, Kakashi never spoke of his father, possibly due to the shame and stigma of suicide in addition to the humiliation suffered from his father's questionable decision. Sakumo's transgression might have been wiped away by his suicide in the eyes of society, but not in the eyes of his young son.
 
A consequence of Sakumo's suicide on his young son was Kakashi's newfound fixation on following the rules. His father would not have been disgraced if only he had followed the rules and completed his mission. Kakashi came to believe that the mission was of foremost importance and his teammates were expendable. But five years later this belief was challenged by his teammate and so called “best friend” Obito.
 
 
Effects of War
During the Great Ninja Wars, which lasted until Thunder Country signed a peace treaty with Konoha (when Kakashi was 17 years old), genin were sent to the frontlines. War was ongoing even when Kakashi was born. His superior talents were needed and he started killing at a very young age. Imagine a child, only a few years out of diapers, not only growing up during a time of war, but being an active participant, being constantly exposed to death. On top of that, his teammates and his sensei all died when Kakashi was at an impressionable age, not yet a true adult, but no longer a child.
 
Not until someone close to him died (Obito) was Kakashi truly faced with the reality of death. Killing and having someone close to you be killed are different experiences. It is easy to be desensitized to the former, especially in times of war. The enemy is usually nameless and faceless. The reality of death only sinks in once someone close to you dies.
 
In order to cope, a child may become a hardened and bitter adult, or conversely adopt a nonchalant attitude about life and death, which is what adult Kakashi displays. In effect it is more like not coping by not facing reality, by using inappropriate levity to laugh at death rather than face the tragic consequences.
 
Effects of Growing up as a Prodigy
Of his genin team members, Uchiha Sasuke is the one Kakashi favors. Like Kakashi, Sasuke is considered a genius. Sasuke has been compared to Kakashi by Maito Gai, Kakashi's self-proclaimed eternal rival, not just because he has the sharingan, but also because of his extraordinary ability. The adult Kakashi seems to have a diametric personality to Sasuke, but the young Kakashi, who was praised and worshipped for his genius, was just as arrogant and seemingly selfish.
 
These negative traits became even more pronounced after his father's suicide, when Kakashi started to adhere even more strictly to the shinobi rules, in particular, the rule dictating that the mission must come first. These characteristics are in direct opposition to what is shown by the adult Kakashi who advocates teamwork and protecting your comrades above all else.
 
As a child prodigy, Kakashi was diligent, becoming jonin by the time he was thirteen. Within a few years of obtaining the sharingan, he was able to copy over 1000 jutsu. But in recent years Kakashi has grown lazy, doing his best to avoid any extra effort, and is chronically late. Nara Shikamaru's insightful comment that geniuses tend to blaze and fizzle, is probably what happened to Kakashi over the course of his life.
 
Ramifications of Wearing a Mask
Kakashi customarily wears a mask covering the lower half of his face, even as a child. His current genin team has never seen him without his mask. He never appears in public without it. Although other shinobi wear masks for practical reasons, such as to prevent the enemy from reading their expressions or to filter poisonous gas and smoke, in his case it seems to be not just practicality or tradition or habit, but more of a psychological artifice - hiding his face from society, hiding his true face from himself.
 
-…-…-…-
 
Defensive Coping Mechanisms
 
Passive Aggression
A passive-aggressive person seeks to avoid confrontation. However, in order to express themselves without conflict, they are often chronically late, using that as a form of control and subtle revenge. Kakashi is always late to his appointments and often comes up with some flimsy excuse. He is not late by just minutes, but sometimes hours!
 
Sarcasm is another aspect of passive-aggression. Kakashi's normal personality appears to be easygoing and nonchalant, but in his serious mode he is confident and arrogant. In either mode he often makes sarcastic remarks. He uses sarcasm and inappropriate levity to avoid arguments, to show his superior intelligence, and also to achieve a psychological advantage over his opponents.
 
Nonconformity
Kakshi's eternal rival, Maito Gai often rants that Kakashi is "hip" and "revolutionary." Other terms would include unconventional, rebellious, and nonconforming. His nonconformist, unconventional attitude is exemplified by his apparent lack of concern of what people think of him as he reads x-rated novels in public, in front of his students, and even during training and battle. This idiosyncrasy causes him to be a subject of ridicule. He also has a tendency to make inappropriate jokes during serious discussions as when Academy teacher Umino Iruka protested the nomination of rookies for the chuunin exams and when Examiner Mitarashi Anko wanted Uchiha Sasuke to leave the exams because of his cursed seal. Although they respect his skills, sometimes his comrades see him as a buffoon and call him an idiot, despite his superior intelligence.
 
These actions also have the effect of keeping people at bay, preventing him from forming any close relationships, especially women - what woman would approach a man who reads pornographic novels in public? This is apparently part of his assumed persona, purposefully constructed to avoid any serious relationships. The reason for this avoidance stems from the loss of his loved ones in his past and is a manifestation of survivor's guilt.
 
Transference
Uchiha Obito was the great influence in Kakashi's life. Although in adulthood Kakashi calls him his best friend, in actuality, their relationship was adversarial. They were like “oil and water” where Kakashi was the serious genius from a disgraced clan, and Obito was the buffoon from an elite clan, the Uchiha with the advanced bloodline sharingan ability. The bitterness that Kakashi felt after his father's death was probably exacerbated by being paired with someone from such a respected clan as the Uchiha.
 
Envious of Obito's bloodline, and disgusted with Obito's lack of gravity, Kakashi appears to have gone out of his way to insult the Uchiha at every opportunity - an exhibition of transference of anger towards the father, who in effect abandoned and humiliated him, to his rival. Survivors often feel guilt that they should have done something to prevent the suicide, anger at others for causing the suicide, or, as in his case, anger at the person for leaving them.
 
Introjection
In contrast to Kakashi's beliefs at the time, Obito cared for his teammates above all else. His words finally awakened Kakashi to the impossible decision his father had to make on the spur of the moment: save his comrades from certain death, or complete the mission, failure of which could possibly lead to even more deaths.
 
In the end, the two reconciled as friends. But whether Obito hated Kakashi or cared about him, it was not a conscious consideration when Obito pushed Kakashi out of the way of the falling rocks. Yet Kakashi grants Obito the adulated status of “best friend” despite their not having been friends in the conventional sense. Kakashi's survivor's guilt, heightened by Obito's sacrifice, and by the fact that he had treated Obito shamefully, results in denial of their true adversarial relationship.
 
These circumstances gave rise to introjection, another defensive coping mechanism. Introjection occurs when an individual deals with emotional stressors, such as guilt, by internalizing the values or characteristics of another person; usually someone who is significant to the individual in some way. Whether conscious or subconscious, over the years, Kakashi has gradually assumed facets of Obito's personality in order to keep him alive: he's often late; he makes up pathetic excuses; and he exhibits inappropriate levity.
 
Controlling Pattern
At first glance, Kakashi exhibits a diametric personality. On one hand, he seems lazy and nonchalant, not caring how others perceive him. On the other hand, he is arrogant and serious, a respected leader. But all these characteristics are actually expressions of an innate need for control.
 
The uncontrollable events in his life could have prompted the young shinobi to be obsessed with control. Prior to Obito's death, Kakashi already exhibited control behavior: He was competitive and bullied Obito; He was stubborn and arrogant, as demonstrated by his insistence on using his chidori against his sensei's advice. Without the sharingan and its ability to predict movement, the chidori was an incomplete jutsu. Kakashi used it regardless and nearly got himself killed.
 
Kakashi as an adult, not only controls his emotions, but also how people perceive him. The mask creates an aura of mystery and privacy. The scandalous books read in public creates an image of a perverted buffoon, contrary to his original character and more like his deceased friend's personality. Yet despite often being called an idiot, in serious occasions, he rises to the forefront as a respected leader in control of the present situation as other jounin look to him for leadership and advice.
 
For Kakashi to lose control, especially of his temper, is a rare event. A prime example of how loss of control affects him can be seen in his encounters with Yakushi Kabuto, a spy from Sound Village, where Kabuto is in charge of the situation. In their first encounter, Kakashi resorts to his usual arrogance and sarcasm to assume charge, but Kabuto is unfazed. After Sandaime's death, Kabuto taunts Kakashi whose hand then uncharacteristically shakes in fury at his own inability to do anything.
 
-…-…-
 
Psychological Analysis
 
Before the Third Hokages's funeral, Kakashi visits the shinobi memorial where the name of his best friend Obito is engraved. There he encounters Uzuki Yuugao who knew him from his years with the ANBU. She asks him why he is late all the time and his answer explains his chronic lateness and the deep pain he still endures from his past. In the morning, he often visits the memorial, where he loses track of time while thinking about the past. He says to her how he wants to stay there, living in his memories, how foolish he was back then, and how he regrets the things he did. Based on this short but profound encounter and his supporting actions, Kakashi is most likely suffering from survivor's guilt.
 
The deaths of loved ones often leave the survivor thinking, "Why was I spared? I should have died too." An immense amount of guilt is associated with surviving when all your loved ones are gone. Sufferers of survivor's guilt are often unable to form close personal relationships, fearing that feelings for anyone new is a betrayal to those who passed, or fearing that they too will die. The survivor may also feel he does not deserve to be happy and as self punishment would avoid a relationship which would mitigate his feelings of guilt and pain.
 
This is apparently true of Kakashi. He is not seen hanging out with his students or taking them out to lunch the way Academy teacher Umino Iruka and Team 10 Leader Sarutobi Asuma do. His advice to his genin Sasuke is that strictly of a mentor, not as a substitute father figure or friend, unlike the way Iruka is with Naruto. The genin are his soldiers, and soldiers die. If he becomes too close to them, and if they should die, then he would experience the past again. To avoid feeling the same pain, it is then easier to keep relationships superficial.
 
Kakashi says little about himself, and only his comrades in arms, the few remaining, know his true nature. The closest he ever comes to revealing his feelings is talking to ANBU member Uzuki Yuugao as discussed previously. There he reveals the depths of his sorrow and guilt, preferring to live in the past rather than the present.
 
Sakumo's suicide and Obito's sacrifice were the primary events that molded Kakashi's adult persona: An anti-social, private man, who would rather have people think he's a lazy idiot like his purported best friend, rather than reveal his true nature. Whether the subject himself knows his own true self is questionable; the subject has a distorted self-perception. In his self-examinations, Kakashi finds himself contemptible, despite truly being one of the great heroes of Konoha.
 
-…-…-END-…-…-