Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Clippings and Snippets ❯ Echo ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Echo
By: emeraldoni
Disclaimer: Naruto is owned by Masashi Kishimoto, not me.
Keyword: Jealousy
 
Shisui.
 
Every year I visit your grave. Not the one where your body rests with the rest of them, but the grave where you met your end. To the last second, to your last breath, you thought it was an accident, until you finally looked in my eyes, and saw the truth.
 
“I'm sorry.” I whispered, as you clutched at your sodden chest with eyes confused by what had just happened.
 
But you should have known. You shouldn't have been confused.
 
I told them I was the one that found the secret of the mangekyo sharingan, but it wasn't me. It was you. Why would I search for more power when I knew I already had enough, that my capacity was more than that of the best ninja in Konoha? I could have been Hokage easily, if I had wanted, without even the snap of the fingers.
 
But you changed that, grasping my arm as you pulled me into the corner, trusting me with the scroll you had found by accident while cleaning up a storage room. You were never much immersed in the shinobi life, though you had always claimed the goal to be the best when you were young. Yet though you were great, you never used that power as you should have.
 
You were happy that way, and I hated it.
 
Why you, and great shinobi with no ambition, could be so content with life was beyond me. You were my best friend, but I hated you, I still do. When I talked to you, confided in you, I would tell you of my unhappiness, of how I did not know who I was.
 
You would pat me on the back, a comforting grin on your features which were so similar yet so different to my own, and you would say, “Don't worry about it, Itachi, you'll find your place. It just takes time.”
 
And I allowed time its chance, but for some reason time didn't give me my place, my comfort. It didn't give me anything but self-loathing and the jealousy I felt for you, a nobody who was lower than me.
 
Yet you still trusted me, slapping my arm after you showed me that fated scroll, saying you could trust me, how this would be our secret.
 
That night I memorized the scroll, and decided that since I could not find my place in life, I would make it.
 
And I did just that.
 
I told you I had a problem, there was something wrong. It was late at night, windows dark except for the occasional flickering candle, the Uchiha district in a deep slumber, the scroll burning a hole in my pocket. The river was the perfect place, foggy, the water lapping quietly against the shore. It was peaceful, as were your dark eyes before I killed you.
 
I like to visit that spot, during the night when the fog rises and the water shifts calmly against the shore. Your voice echoes and I revel in that memory. Then I activate the mangekyo sharingan, my tribute to you.
 
I do this for you, yet you still won't leave my head. I hate you. Even after all these years, after your body has rotted away, as well as the rest of the Uchiha clan, I still hear your voice in my ears.
 
You said I would find my place in the world, Shisui
 
Well, I'm still waiting.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
A/N: Damn, I'm just being barraged with inspiration this week. Maybe it was seeing the review and the keywords, while reading and Itachi fic. He may be a little wack, but I love the psycho.
 
I just wish I knew was Shisui
 
Please review.
 
Until next time…
 
emeraldoni
 
Next keyword—heartbreak.