Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine. If I owned Naruto Iruka would definitely play more of a role and Naruto would learn more.
Someone asked for no male/male pairings so then give me some alternate suggestions.
 
Chapter 8
 
Sakura swallowed but then walked up to her teammate and tapped him on the shoulder lightly. The blonde turned and gave her an inquisitive look. She looked down at the ground, ashamed of herself. Since Kakashi-sensei's little chat she`d been taking a real good look at her actions concerning her teammates and she had to admit she wasn't proud of herself.
 
“I'm sorry Naruto. You're not an idiot or any of the other things I've called you. You really are a good ninja and I hope one day you can forgive me.” She turned and went to walk away but a hand on her arm stopped her. Serious blue eyes stared into hers; making her want to squirm but she fought the urge. Ever so slowly a small but genuine smile appeared on Naruto's face, as he detected no lie.
 
“Want to get some lunch, just as friends?” He asked and she nodded.
 
“Sure.” She smiled at him and he released her arm. Hidden in a nearby tree Kakashi lowered his book and smiled at the two. It was good to see that she had listened to what he had said two weeks ago. Now if only he could remove the stick from Sasuke and take his ego down a few notches. He shook his head, sure he was a genius ninja but he was not a miracle worker. Hopefully he would see the better interaction between the other two and start to thaw out a little. Hey, he could dream, couldn't he?
 
----------------------------------
“Hey Ruka!” Iruka grinned as Anko entered his `living room'.
 
“Hey Anko-chan. What brings you here?”
 
“Gossip, what else? You'll never guess who I saw heading for the ramen stand together, chatting like friends.” Anko saw it as her job to fill Iruka in on everything he'd missed and up to date with all the latest gossip. Wouldn't do for him to be clueless once allowed out into the population after all.
 
“Um, Kurenai and Gai?” He picked two names that from what Anko had said he figured they would not be doing what she had just said on a normal day.
 
“Nope. Your little brother and his pink haired team-mate.” Iruka froze, eyes going wide and his jaw dropping in shock.
 
“Are you serious? You better not be joking Anko!”
 
“I'm not! They were walking side by side and Sakura was chatting away with Naruto listening to her and commenting occasionally. It wasn't forced either.” She grinned, knowing the news would make him happy and sure enough he was soon grinning and laughing softly. Then he utterly shocked her by picking her up and spinning around, something he hadn't sone since they were kids. She laughed as he put her down and blushed in embarrassment.
 
“Sorry.”
 
“Don't be. You haven't done that since before… It's okay to be happy and shoe it Ruka.” He nodded slowly, no longer laughing but still happy. She surprised him by hugging him and then moving back to the door.
“Got to go, got a mission. I'll be back in four days or so.”
 
“Good luck Anko-chan.” He watched her go and then collapsed onto the couch, unable to help another smile. So Naruto was finally starting to make friends. He wondered what had made Sakura change her attitude but he didn't really care as long as her intentions were true.
 
-----------------------
“Yo.”
 
“Hello Kakashi. Anko tells me two of your students were seen together heading for the ramen stand.” Iruka smiled at him and Kakashi grinned.
 
“So she beat me with the news. Sakura apologised to Naruto for everything she's down and it seems like he's working on forgiving her. It was his idea to have lunch together. Looks like I now have two students who listen to me.” Kakashi slouched onto the couch beside him.
 
“You said something to Sakura?” Iruka asked, hoping he hadn't pushed her into doing what she did.
 
“Relax, she did it all on her own. She was laying into Naruto before we left on that mission so I pulled her aside and gave her some hard facts. Obviously she decided to listen and take a good look at herself. I'm glad she did, all that screeching gets very annoying really fast. Missions should be smoother with those two getting along better.”
 
“What about Sasuke?” Iruka asked with a small frown. He worried about the boy since his sensei was after him and he understood how it felt to be an orphan but he didn't agree with what he'd heard about his attitude. The way he was now Orochimaru may not have to kidnap him, Sasuke might go with him willingly if the sannin phrased things right.
 
“I'll leave it a little longer, see how he reacts to the change in the others behaviour first.”
 
“Maybe it'll shock him into reality? Doesn't sound like he's entirely stable, not that any shinobi is.” Iruka shrugged. Kakashi frowned but nodded in agreement, he knew he couldn't talk but he'd picked something up in Iruka's voice.
 
“You don't think you're sane?” He asked softly.
 
“How could I be after… I know I'm not entirely `right in the head' Kakashi and I'm okay with it, I think. No one sane wakes screaming every night or tries to commit suicide. I nearly attacked Sandaime the other night I was so out of it.” He finished quietly.
 
“Every night?” Kakashi asked, shocked though he supposed it did make sense. Iruka simply nodded. He hesitantly squeezed his friends' shoulders, trying to give him some comfort.
“That's just your memories, it doesn't make you even a little crazy. They'll get better with time.” Kakashi told him firmly, hoping he was telling the truth.
 
“I hope you're right.”
 
------------------------------
“Naruto, Sakura you two pair off. Sasuke you're with me.” Kakashi called as they readied to spar. He received to nods and a bored look for his trouble and the two teens moved away before settling into their stances. Sasuke followed him but Kakashi could see him watching the other two from the corner of his eye. Using his inattention Kakashi attacked, forcing the teen to pay attention to what was happening and not what the others were doing.
“Want to know your main weakness?” He asked cheerfully as he sent the Uchiha flying. Sasuke glared at him and attacked.
“You're too much a loner. Look at them. Even after how she's treated him Naruto's put that aside to give friendship a chance. You're walking a lonely and self-destructive road Sasuke.”
 
“Hn.” Sasuke's glare went up several dozen notches and his attacks become stronger as he fought to prove Kakashi wrong but in reality all he was doing was proving him right.
 
Kakashi sighed and walked over to where Naruto was now helping Sakura with her taijutsu.
 
“Finished already sensei?” The blonde asked and Kakashi nodded.
 
“Good work you two. Nice to see you getting along better.” He gave them his usual smile, only visible through the up curve of his eye. Sakura smiled.
 
“Thanks Kakashi-sensei. Naruto's a good teacher.” Said blonde blushed ever so slightly at the praise.
 
“Well, lets go pick up a mission.” He led the three towards the mission room, Sasuke sulking in the back as the other two chatted amicably. The dark haired boy ignored all attempts to include him in the conversation much to Kakashi's disappointment and annoyance.
 
-----------------------------
Iruka smiled as both Kakashi and Naruto walked in, Naruto bouncing in excitement and Kakashi smiling.
 
“Sakura and I sparred today and she actually asked me for help! And then she told Kakashi-sensei that I'm a good teacher!” Naruto told him as he jumped onto the couch, making Iruka laugh. Kakashi shot him what appeared to be an amused grin, the mask made it hard to tell for sure, before sitting down as well.
 
“It's great that you two are getting along now.” Iruka said honestly, happy for Naruto. The three looked up as the door opened and Sarutobi walked in, smiling to see the three together.
 
“Hey old man!” Naruto greeted happily and the Hokage smiled.
 
“Hello Naruto-kun, Kakashi, Iruka. I'm glad I caught you two here. A mission's come in and I think it'll be a good learning experience for your team and you and Naruto have already completed a C-rank before.” Sarutobi explained. Kakashi nodded and Naruto was instantly serious.
 
“What's the mission?” The blonde asked curiously.
 
“To escort a bridge builder back to Wave. Should be a simple mission to introduce the other two to a higher ranked mission. Do you accept?”
 
“What do you say Naruto? Think you can keep from killing Sasuke for that long?” Kakashi asked with his usual smile. Naruto rolled his eyes.
 
“Yes sensei, I promise not to kill him. Another C-rank sounds good to me.” Naruto smiled.
 
“Then it's agreed. Team 7 accepts the mission Hokage-sama.”
 
TBC…