Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
 
Chapter 9
 
 
Naruto smiled at Sakura as he spotted her waiting by the gates. She smiled and waved as he walked closer before sitting beside her. They settled in to wait for their remaining teammates and their client.
 
“Looking forward to your first C-rank?” Naruto asked as he leant back against his pack.
 
“I guess. But are we ready? What happens if we're attacked?”
 
“Don't worry about it, I've already done one of these and it was a piece of cake. We'll be fine! Sides, Kakashi-sensei is a really famous ninja so if anything did happen he'd be able to protect us.” Naruto assured her, grinning happily.
 
“Hn. That loser will probably be dead in seconds if we are attacked.” Sasuke sneered as he joined them, leading to Sakura physically restraining Naruto so that he wouldn't attack the Uchiha. Naruto was extremely loyal to those he considered family and Kakashi had definitely become a part of his family. Sandaime was the kindly grandfather/elderly uncle, Iruka the big brother and Kakashi was big brother/father like figure/uncle all rolled into one. Insulting said family in front of him was not usually a good idea, which was why Sakura was clinging onto him. Sasuke just continued to sneer and then walked away from them before leaning against the wall. Naruto stopped struggling and Sakura slowly released her hold.
 
“Yo.” Naruto smiled as Kakashi finally showed up.
 
“YOU'RE LATE!” Sakura yelled and Kakashi laughed sheepishly.
 
“I had to say goodbye to a dolphin.” Naruto blinked and then laughed as Sakura yelled at him for being a liar since he wasn't lying for once. He glared at the bridge builder as he insulted them all but didn't do anything else since it would annoy Kakashi-sensei.
 
---------------------------
They'd been walking for what felt like forever when Naruto noticed the puddle just ahead, his eyes flickered to Kakashi but the older man motioned for him to keep walking. He obeyed but was ready to move if needed. Sakura screamed as Kakashi was torn to shreds in front of them. Naruto swallowed hard but then braced himself for a fight, sending a mental note to his teacher that that had better not be his actual remains splattered across the road. Sasuke moved, making his readiness unnecessary until one of the nins went for Sakura and their client. Naruto ran, throwing himself between his friend and their enemy, kunai held at the ready. He quickly formed to kage bunshins to help protect the two and then moved forward to meet the charging missing-nin. He relaxed as Kakashi caught the man, the other already hanging limp in his grip.
 
“Good work you three. We need to talk Tazuna-san.” Kakashi looked at their client and the man began to squirm.
 
---------------------------
“What's wrong Iruka?”
 
“Nothing, just a bad feeling.” The younger man answered as he turned from the window.
 
“You're worried about Kakashi's team.” Sarutobi stated and Iruka nodded.
“It is a C-ranked mission, something Naruto has been on before. Kakashi will look after them all.”
 
“I know that but…”
 
“But you still worry and you will every time they leave the village. It's perfectly normal to worry about loved ones when they are out of sight.” Sandaime assured him, smiling warmly at the younger ninja. Iruka blushed slightly in embarrassment but nodded. That made the Hokage's smile widen since it was an old habit of Iruka's that was slowly reappearing. Slowly but surely he was healing from the emotional damage done by his sensei. He'd probably never heal completely but he would improve.
 
------------------------------------
Naruto swallowed hard and forced himself not to shake as the killing intent rolled over them. Kakashi-sensei had made sure he knew what it felt like but never to this level. How much worse did it feel to his teammates and client? Zabuza was way out of their league so Kakashi-sensei had to beat them or they would probably die, not that it would be without a fight. Feeling the mist-nin appear in the centre of their formation he shoved Sakura out of the way while throwing himself out of the swords path, Sasuke and the bridge builder being knocked of their feet. Before Zabuza could do anything else their sensei was on him, plunging his kunai into the mans stomach only for him to melt into water. He watched in growing horror as water clones were destroyed and Kakashi captured. He glanced at Sasuke and Sakura as Kakashi yelled at them to run and saw the same knowledge in their eyes, the time to run had long since passed, they would not make it if they ran.
 
Without a word Sakura fell back to cover the bridge builder as the two boys prepared for the fight of their lives. Zabuza's clone attacked, aiming for Sasuke first only to be intercepted by a shadow clone. It was dispatched fairly easily but it gave Sasuke time to get out of the way and prepare his own attack. The two teens attacked together, for once managing to work together.
 
Kakashi watched in shock as the two perpetually fighting teens managed to work together against the water clone. So far they were holding their own but how long would that last? If only he could get free but there was no way with Zabuza keeping the prison in place.
 
Naruto dodged a swing from the massive sword but stayed down as Sasuke used his crouched from as a springboard to launch himself into the air, weapons drawn. As the clones attention switched to the airborne Uchiha Naruto lunched upwards and drove a kunai through its ribs, dissolving it even as he let fly a handful a shuriken towards the real Zabuza, Sasuke doing the same while still falling. With that many weapons aimed directly for and around him Zabuza was forced to release his jutsu and doge to the side, freeing Kakashi. Their sensei gave a brief nod of thanks before resuming his fight.
 
------------------------------
“I have something for you Naruto.” The teen moved closer to his still recovering sensei and watched as he revealed a short sword.
“I had this made for you on our last C-rank mission and was planning to start your training with it on this one. You won't be anywhere near Zabuza's level of wielding it before we have to fight him again but at least you can start.” He handed the teen the blade and Naruto stared at it and then him in shocked silence.
 
“I…no one's ever…thank you Kakashi-sensei.” The blonde said quietly. Kakashi smiled behind his mask and ruffled his hair affectionately.
 
“You're a close range fighter hence the short blade. With the help of your kage bunshin we should be able to speed up your training a bit. The blade has some special features I'll explain once you've gotten to the point were there's no risk of stabbing yourself.” Naruto grinned and then watched as Kakashi showed him how to properly hold the blade before going through a few simple moves.
 
----------------------------
“Hey Ruka catch.” He turned and caught the ramen container his old teammate sent flying in his general direction.
 
“Thanks Anko.” He sat down and opened the container as she munched on some dango.
 
“Kakashi and co back yet?” She asked as they ate and he shook his head.
 
“Something's gone wrong, I can feel it.” He whispered and she put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“Kakashi's good Iruka, really good. He won't let anything happen to the kids. They'll be back soon, you'll see.”
 
“I hope so.” He smiled at her.
 
“Better finish that before it gets cold.” He nodded and began eating again.
“At least you'll be out of here soon. Only three weeks till the exams.”
 
“Yeah, one month and three weeks until we're invaded.”
 
“Don't be such a pessimist. Just…be careful. I don't want to get you back only to loose you again. It would kill Naruto if you got yourself killed and Kakashi wouldn't take it to well either.”
 
“I promise to try my hardest not to die.” He assured her.
 
“Good.”
 
TBC…