Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
Sorry for the really long wait. By the way, this will end up Kakashi/Iruka.
 
Chapter 10
 
Iruka fell back as an orange missile slammed into him. He raised his head from the floor to find Naruto securely attached to his stomach. Fear slammed into him as he struggled to sit up and then check the blonde over for injuries.
 
“Naruto what's wrong? Are you hurt?” He babbled in panic. Hearing movement at the door he looked up to see Kakashi hovering.
“Kakashi?” The older man shook his head and motioned for Iruka to see to Naruto. Once sure the boy was unhurt Iruka wrapped his arms around him and held him close, surprised to feel tears soaking through his shirt. Ten minutes later Naruto was asleep. Kakashi gave him a hand up and Iruka put Naruto into his own bed before rejoining Kakashi in the main room.
“What happened?” Iruka asked, voice filled with dread.
 
“Mission went south. The client lied about what was going on and it turned into an A-rank. We ended up facing some Mist-nin, including the Demon of the Mist.” Iruka went pale, his eyes wide.
 
“The rest of your team?” He asked shakily but Kakashi smiled.
 
“Fine, other than Sasuke's wounded pride.” Kakashi assured him and Iruka relaxed a bit.
“But they weren't ready to kill or watch people die. We were ambushed and I got captured. Naruto managed to get Sasuke to work with him while Sakura guarded the client. They took put Zabuza's water clone and got me free. After the fight I passed out from chakra exhaustion but they managed to get us all to safety and Naruto even continued helping Sakura train while I was out. Sasuke...he reminds me a lot of myself when I was his age but darker. We faced Zabuza and his accomplice again at the bridge. The boys took on Haku and I faced Zabuza. With the mist I couldn't see what happened but Sasuke was taken out in a way that made it appear like he was dead. Needless to say Naruto became...mad. For a second I thought, it felt so much like the day the Fourth died.” Iruka went pale as he realised what Kakashi was saying.
 
“But Naruto's okay now?”
 
“He's fine, the seal's intact and he's shown no ill effects. From what he's said when e beat Haku the boy begged him to kill him and Naruto finally agreed. If it wasn't for Haku sacrificing himself for Zabuza, Naruto would have made his first kill. As it is Naruto managed to get Zabuza to see what Haku meant to him and he was killed fighting against his employers thugs. Then the townsfolk showed up and the `army' ran off. Naruto now even has a bridge named after him.” Kakashi fell silent and watched Iruka, nervous about how he would react to Naruto being put in that situation.
 
“I never wanted him to face that sort of thing...but that's what it means to be shinobi. He's blossomed under your training in ways I couldn't have imagined and I know you'll do everything in your power to keep him alive. I guess...a part of me wishes he'd never become shinobi but then I think that's selfish. Naruto is so powerful, how many lives can he save during his life? And I want to save him from that?”
 
“Sounds like what any older brother would want to do.” Kakashi answered with a small grin and a shrug.
 
----------------------------
Kakashi listened as the upcoming exams were discussed, still fighting with himself over what to do. Naruto was ready for the exams, ability-wise so was Sasuke and Sakura wasn't that far behind anymore. But when it came to teamwork...Sasuke seriously dragged them down. Plus Orochimaru wanted the boy which was another reason not to nominate them, plus Iruka would kill him if anything happened to Naruto. But Sasuke was also the perfect bait to make sure Orochimaru went through with the plans Iruka knew about.
 
Kakashi sighed and stepped forward, hopefully Iruka would make his death quick if not painless.
 
---------------------------
“Do you really think we're ready sensei?” Kakashi looked over at Naruto. They were eating in for once so it was just the two of them sitting at the dining room table.
 
“Ability-wise, yes. You've come a long way since I took over your training. Sasuke's ninjutsu is at the right level and Sakura has come a long way too. There's only one thing that could make this more dangerous than normal.”
 
“Sasuke being a teme?” Naruto asked with a small grin and Kakashi chuckled but nodded.
 
“You and Sakura make a good team now but with Sasuke refusing to cooperate things could get deadly. Despite the fact that you can advance in rank individually the exams push teamwork for the most part. And with Orochimaru after Sasuke....”
 
“Do you want me to say no? If this needs teamwork only one of us has to refuse, right?” Naruto offered and Kakashi smiled at how far the blonde had come in such a short time.
 
“You need to make your own decision Naruto. I just don't want you making a decision without all the facts.”
 
------------------------
“Hey niisan.” Iruka smiled as Naruto walked in but it faded at the look on Naruto's face.
 
“What's wrong Naruto?” He asked worriedly but the boy smiled.
 
“Kakashi-sensei nominated us for the chuunin exams. I know Sasuke will say yes and I'm pretty sure Sakura will too so that leaves me with the deciding vote. Kakashi-sensei thinks we're ready individually but our teamwork sucks thanks to the teme. Plus there's the whole Orochimaru thing. I don't know what to do.” Naruto shrugged and sat next Iruka. Iruka sighed and really thought about how to answer.
 
“I know I don't want you in danger and these exams will be more dangerous than usual. But...you are shinobi now Naruto and danger is a part of the life. So if you want to participate then do it, just promise me you'll be careful and if you see Orochimaru you'll grab the others and run as fast as you can for help.”
 
---------------------------
Sakura waved as she saw Naruto approaching. Sasuke completely ignored them both until Naruto reached them.
 
“So?” She asked, still not entirely certain with her decision.
 
“I'm in.” Naruto answered with a grin and Sakura smiled, if Naruto said yes then she was in.
 
“Lets go.” Sasuke called, already walking towards the door. Naruto rolled his eyes and Sakura laughed but they followed him inside.
 
TBC....