Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Coming Home At Last ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine
 
Chapter 12
 
Kakashi had already checked on his students and was now sitting beside Iruka's bed. There were ANBU standing guard outside the room to keep any curious people away on Ibiki's orders; only Kakashi, Anko, Naruto and Ibiki were allowed in the room. Kakashi knew whispers were already circulating about the strange shinobi that had fought with the Hokage against Orochimaru and hoped Sandaime would be well enough to make an announcement before people got too curious, most specifically the Council.
 
“Any change?” A voice asked and Kakashi shook his head, not bothering to face Ibiki.
“You should get some rest Kakashi before you end up in the bed next to his. The doctors said he's just exhausted now, there's no danger.”
 
“I don't want him to wake up alone.” Kakashi insisted and Ibiki sighed.
 
“Fine, but at least try to get some sleep.” He said as he left the room only to be nearly knocked over by a worried Anko.
 
“Is he.” She started but Ibiki cut her off.
 
“He's just sleeping, they healed his wounds. Kakashi's refusing to leave his side.” That comment made Anko grin.
“Go on in but keep the noise down, people are already asking questions.” He warned and she nodded, slipping quietly into the room. He headed back to his office; he had an interrogation to oversee after all.
 
------------------------------------
Iruka slowly opened his eyes, grateful to find he was in no pain. Turning his head he smiled as he saw a nest of silver hair pillowed beside him on the bed.
 
“Kakashi.” He croaked out and the copy-nin was instantly awake. A glass of water was pressed to his lips and Iruka drank thirstily until it was removed.
“How long?”
 
“Four days. You took quite a beating.”
 
“But no broken ribs.” Iruka joked and Kakashi chuckled.
 
“No. Anko and Naruto have been by to see you. Sandaime's still unconscious last I heard but the doctors aren't worried. You have ANBU guarding your room due to people being nosey.”
 
“Joy. Damage?”
 
“Not too bad. A few damaged buildings mostly, casualties were pretty light due to the advance warning. All the civilians managed to get out in time.” Kakashi explained and Iruka relaxed.
“I..I was worried about you. The doctors weren't sure about poison for a while.”
 
“Low level immunity, if he'd managed to stab me it would have been a lot worse.” Iruka explained and Kakashi nodded. He reached out and took Iruka's hand, getting a smile and a slight squeeze even as Iruka's began blinking sleepily.
 
“Get some more sleep, things'll be pretty hectic once you're released.” Kakashi told him and watched as Iruka drifted back to sleep.
 
-----------------------------
Sarutobi looked out over the gathered shinobi, clan leaders and even civilians and mentally groaned, wishing for his bed. But Ibiki had told him of all the whispers and that needed to stop. So he had dragged himself from his hospital bed to address his people. He could see Kakashi and Iruka in the shadows off to his left, ready for when he would call them up.
 
“People of Konoha!” That made them quiet down thankfully.
“I am here to address the many rumours now being heard in regards to the chuunin exams. Orochimaru, missing-nin, has founded his own village and called it Otogakure. After doing this he assassinated the Kazekage and took his place, orchestrating a joint attack on our village during the finals of the third exam. Orochimaru was not only after the destruction of our village but the Sharingan, he failed at both! Due to careful planning we prevailed against the attack with only minimum casualties. Many of you have been asking how it is we seemed to know in advance? The answer to that is simple, we knew thanks to a spy placed with Orochimaru many years ago. When he deserted this village he took two genin with him, one of whom we rescued, the other remained as ordered so that we would know what the sannin was planning and we allowed him to be considered dead. Umino Iruka has worked bravely and often at great risk to his own life to protect this village but now his work is done and he has been welcomed home.” Sarutobi motioned and Iruka stepped onto the stage in full Konoha uniform for the first time and a hush fell over the crowd before the civilians started cheering, much to Iruka's embarrassment. The shinobi were more suspicious but weren't about to question the Hokage.
“For his work Iruka has been promoted to Tokubetsu Jounin. Please remember he has been away from the village for a long time and allow him space to adjust.” With that Iruka left the stage, bolting back to Kakashi's side once he was out of sight.
“The results of the chuunin exam will be known next week. Genin teams and those not out on missions will be helping with repairs to the village. Those needing work done please leave details with the mission's office in an orderly fashion. Thank you.”
 
--------------------------------
Kakashi nodded to the ANBU on duty and then slipped into the room to find Iruka dressed and ready to go except for the fact he looked like he might pass out any second. Kakashi frowned but walked over and sat beside him on the bed.
 
“I...I can't leave. It's so stupid but I'm.” Iruka fell silent but Kakashi knew what he didn't say, Iruka was scared.
 
“It's going to be fine Iruka. You'll stay with me until you get your own place and you can stay as long as you want. You heard Sandaime's orders, no one is to crowd you or ask too many questions. And with Ibiki, Anko and I backing that up few would even try.” Kakashi assured him and Iruka nodded, standing up. Kakashi let him go at his own pace as they left the hospital, making sure he was between Iruka and anyone who tried to stare. Iruka stopped again when they reached the doors of the hospital and Kakashi let him take his time, glaring at anyone who started to approach.
 
“Ruka!” Anko called as she ran through the door, forcing Iruka to catch her.
“So they're finally letting you out of here.”
 
“Yeah.” Iruka answered, burying his face in her hair. She looked to Kakashi in confusion before understanding dawned.
 
“He staying with you?” She whispered and Kakashi nodded.
“Let's go!” She spun Iruka around, and made Kakashi take his hand while she took the other one.
“Come on!” She whined and Iruka laughed as she tugged his arm. Kakashi copied her and they happily pulled Iruka down the street, Iruka laughing too much to pay attention to any curious stares. The three tumbled into Kakashi's house, still laughing and then helped Iruka settle his few belongings into place.
 
“It's not the biggest or anything...” Kakashi mumbled and Iruka smiled at him.
 
“It's great.” Iruka told him and Kakashi relaxed.
 
“Well get settled, I um, can't really cook so someone needs to go grab some takeout or if you want to we can go out to eat. Naruto's still stuck with the others on that mission but he should be back tomorrow and then there goes the peace and quiet.” Kakashi rambled and Iruka swallowed. Was he ready to brave eating out?
 
“How about dinner out but somewhere small?” He asked and Kakashi nodded.
 
“Of course, we can go to this sushi place I know, it mainly caters to civilians and they won't pay any attention to us.” Kakashi suggested and Iruka nodded.
“Coming too Anko?”
 
“Of course!”
 
TBC...