Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Assassin ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Akane's POV

After running a long, circuitous route, to throw off any followers, I come to the edge of a clearing. From behind a tree, I spot two people standing in the midde of the clearing, talking. One I imediately recognize as Shingetsu because of his flaming red hair and dark clothes. The other, I assume to be the man Sota who was mentioned in the letter from Shingetsu. Shingetsu is facing me, and I'm sure he notices me, yet he says nothing. Sota, however, is facing away from me. From what I can see, Sota is a middle-aged, average looking man with tan skin and dark brown hair. His traveling clothes are a bit worn, but you can tell they were once of excellent quality. He is also wearing a blindfold. This is because no one is allowed to see me and be able to turn me in later.

I decide I have seen enough and I step into the clearing, calmly walking towards the pair. Sota doesn't even know I'm there until I let myself be heard when I walk past him to stand next to Shingetsu. Startled by the noise of a twig breaking right next to him, Sota steps back and brings his hands to his blindfold, intending to remove it. Quick as lightning, I grab his hands and say, "That would not be wise, my friend."
Seemingly afraid, he replies,"I apologize, I didn't know what I was thinking. You must be Akane, yes?"
"Indeed I am."
He bows clumsily. "It is an honor to meet the great Akane, I hope that you will be able to help me."
Ingoring him, I turn to Shingetsu. "Sensei, what are the details of this mission?"
"You will travel the roads to the village Silver Stream in the River Country. This village will take you around eight days to reach, only because I don't want you to be hasty. You must take your time getting there, because Sota needs to get there before you, to allay any suspicion from the guards there, as they are very cautious and will notice if he brings someone from another village.
You may infiltrate the village how you will, but you musn't alert anyone to your presence. If and when you succeed in this mission, you will find Sota in a small house just outside the village, and he will reward you with 25 million ryo. Will you accept this mission?"
Grinning inside at the possible reward, I calmly answer. "Yes, Sensei, I accept. When do I leave?"
"Wait one day, so Sota will have a head start." With that, Shingetsu vanishes.
Sota hastily explains to me what I need to know about the village for easy infiltration.
"Thank you, Sota, you may take off your blindfold now." I then run, quicker than the wind, so Sota won't see me as he removes his blindfold, to the outskirts of the village to get a good rest.

The Next Day

Walking is so slow, oh how it would be great to run. And all these people, it is like I am suffocating. Oh well, it will surely be worth it as I collect my pay. I think this as I am walking casually along a busy trading road on my way to the River Country. Suddenly, some fool bumps into me, almost knocking me down.
"Hey, watch it!" he yells at me. Then he looks at me and sees the look on my face. "Um, I'm sorry, miss, I wasn't paying attention. Just one of those days." I say nothing, and I keep walking. He falls into step with me. "So, um, what is a pretty lady like you walking these roads alone? It isn't safe, there are pickpockits and bandits everywhere." Still I make no reply, but I am amused. So I favor him by glancing at him, and surprisingly I recognize him. He is the Jinchuriki of the nine-tailed fox, Naruto. I know of him because Shingetsu wanted me to be educated about people who could be a danger to me. Even more amused, I smile at him. Encouraged, he says "So where are you headed?"
Casually, I reply "I am going to the Silver Stream village of the River country."
Smiling broadly, he exclaims, "Really? So am I! I have a mission there. How about we travel together?"
"That is fine, what mission do you have though?"
"The leader of that village is worried that someone might try to assassinate him, so he sent a letter to Konoha requesting bodyguards."
Trying desparately not to laugh at the irony, I reply. "Only you? Surely he would need more people.."
"Well, I was the only person available at the time. Don't worry though. I'm sure that the great Uzumaki Naruto can handle it, no matter how many people I have to fight." He laughs while pointing to himself.
I allow myself a small giggle, covering my mouth. "I am sure the village leader has nothing to worry about with you around." Ha.
We walk together for the rest of the day, talking about this and that, me being careful not to reveal any crucial information, until we come in sight of the village. I spot it around ten minutes ahead of him, but make no mention of it. When he finally sees it, he jumps in glee. "Look, look! There it is! Woohoo!" I smile at his childness.
"Indeed we are."
As we walk through gates, he stops and turns to me. "Well, I need to go greet the village leader, I hope we'll see eachother again!" With that he runs off in the direction of the village leader's house. I walk in the direction of the nearest inn. After renting a room, I head off in search of a restaurant. I order the miso soup with a small cup of green tea. Once I finish my meal, I walk around the village, planning my attack. I then go back to my room at the inn to wait for sundown.