Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Demons amoung the Akatsuki ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
The next morning…
 
Akazaku slowly opened her eyes which quickly adjusted to the darkened room. She rose out of bed and quickly got dressed. She quietly exited her room and stood in front of Keyoko's door. `I hope she's not still asleep. Keyo's a pain to wake up.' She raised her fist to the door, but before she could knock, the door slowly opened itself. She soon found herself face to face with a surprised Keyoko. “Oh, I was just about to wake you,” Akazaku uttered. Keyoko grinned embarrassedly and scratched the back of her head. “I know I tend to sleep pretty hard, but I couldn't oversleep today. Today's our first test for Akatsuki initiation!” Akazaku beamed. “You don't have to tell me. Let's go get some breakfast.” Keyoko nodded, and the two of them began making their way down the hall.
A few minutes later, they found themselves back at the front of the entrance. “Hmmm, how do we open it?” Akazaku wondered aloud. Keyoko pondered it while she scratched her chin. “Well, Deidara put his hand against this yesterday, and it opened. Maybe all we have to do is put our hands on it.” Akazaku frowned; she seemed pretty skeptical. “I don't know. There may be a Genjutsu placed over it that only the members know how to deactivate.” Keyoko sighed in a frustrated tone. “Well, can we at least give it a try? You never know, it might work.” Akazaku shrugged. “Whatever. I can tell someone's eager to hunt.” They placed one hand each against the rock's gritty exterior. They closed their eyes and waited. Nothing happened.
“It didn't work,” they uttered miserably in unison. Just as they were about to try it again, Hidan happened to walk by. He gave each girl a confused stare as he approached them. “Are you two trying to leave?” His tone was surprisingly innocent; void of suspicion or anger. Both girls shook their heads. “No, we were just going to go hunting for breakfast.”
“We would've brought some back for you guys, too.”
“To thank you all for taking us in.”
Hidan smiled warmly. “Aren't you two sweet? But you don't have to hunt; we have plenty of food in the kitchen. You two are welcome to it.” The girls grew embarrassed. “Oh, I guess we didn't think of that,” Keyoko admitted.
They followed Hidan back the way they had come towards the kitchen. They walked into a room containing a large table, several chairs, a refrigerator, a stove, and a dishwasher tucked into the very back corner. “We don't do much cooking, but the food's still edible. Help yourselves.” Hidan's tone was laced with embarrassment. Keyoko gave him a quick hug. “You sure are kind, sir.” Akazaku nodded in agreement. Hidan flushed slightly. “Please, call me Hidan. And anyway, it's great that you two want to help us out. Our organization isn't very large, considering that we're trying to take over the entire world. So we need all the help we can get.”
Each girl uttered a surprised gasp. `THE WHOLE WORLD?!' Hidan, just now realizing what he'd said, smacked himself in the face. “Damn it, I wasn't supposed to tell you girls anything until you become members.” He sighed and lowered his hand. “Aww, it doesn't matter. I'm sure you two will pass with flying colors.” This time, it was Akazaku who hugged him. “You are so nice! Why do you have so much confidence in us? You've never even seen us fight.” He closed his eyes as his head seemed to unconsciously drift towards the ceiling. “I can sense something about you two. You're both quite powerful and your spiritual levels are off the charts. There's no doubt in my mind that the two of you have what it take to become one of us.” He opened his eyes and stared in turn at the two of them. “Not to mention, the looks in your eyes yesterday were immensely determined. You two look like you've been through hash ordeals and have strengthened because of them.” The girls were silent with shock as her turned back to the fridge. “But what am I doing going off again, you two are probably hungry.”
He reached to the back of the fridge and pulled out three large grapefruits. He placed them on the table and went to fetch some plates and a knife. Within seconds, three plates with a grapefruit on each sat side-by-side upon the table. He was about to cut one up, when Akazaku broke the silence. “It's alright Hidan-san. We can cut ours up ourselves.”
“We can't have you doing all the work,” Keyoko added. Hidan shrugged and slid two plates towards them. He then busied himself with cutting his own fruit. As he did that, both girls closed their eyes and focused their chakra. Their hands soon began to glow blue. Hidan stopped cutting for a few seconds to watch as the girls sliced their fruit via chakra with ease. He finished cutting his fruit, set down the knife, and took a seat across from the two girls.
“That was interesting. I've never seen someone use their chakra to cut up their breakfast.”
“We like to show off,” Keyoko replied. Hidan grinned warmly. “Wouldn't you rather save it for when you need it?”
“Well, we have a lot of chakra, so we tend to show off a bit,” Akazaku added. Hidan gave a quick nod. “That's good to hear. The other members, as well as myself, also have quite a bit of chakra. It's definitely a necessity if you two want to join us.” The girls nodded in agreement before returning to their breakfast.
They fruit turned out to be surprising fresh and juicy. The three of them ate with gusto, until the sound of footsteps reached their ears. The girls craned their necks to see Sasori and Deidara enter the kitchen. The minute they did, Hidan's smile fell as he lowered his head. “Morning,” Akazaku greeted them, while Keyoko gave Hidan a questioning stare. “What's wrong, Hidan-san?” Hidan sighed and mumbled ever so quietly, “I don't get along well with the others; other than Kyra.” Keyoko frowned, but decided to leave him alone. Deidara went to raid the fridge as Sasori sat down beside Keyoko. Deidara pulled out a small container of strawberries and sat down beside Akazaku.
Hidan raised his head and stared at the girls' empty plates. “Wow, you two eat fast.” He himself was only half done. “I'll be done in a minute,” Deidara announced as he tipped the container above his right mouth hand. The whole pack was gone in a matter of minutes. Soon afterwards, the tiny mouth-hand issued a burp; causing the others to laugh. Keyoko, now realizing that Sasori hadn't grabbed anything to eat, turned to him. “Aren't you going to eat breakfast, too?” Sasori's face grew slightly nervous. “Well, I don't do breakfast. Just don't worry about me.”
The girls stood up, their empty plates in their hands. “Where should we put these?” Hidan pointed to the farthest back corner to the tiny dishwasher. “Just put your plates in there. The other dishes are still dirty.” They did as they were told, and then returned to the table.