Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Demons amoung the Akatsuki ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11
 
It wasn't long before both couples met back up at the spot each of them had seen Kyra and Kisame disappear from. No one said anything; instead, they listened carefully. Faint sounds of splashing and laugher tickled their ears. Deidara smiled. “Those two must be having a blast.” Sasori nodded. “Yeah, we should go join them.” The girls smiled. “Sounds like fun.” They echoed each other. Without the need for more to be said, the four of them made their way down the path; the distant sounds growing louder with each step. They reached the river in a matter of minutes, finding themselves staring at the soaked duo before them. Two robes and two pairs of shoes lie in a crumpled heap upon the grass; obviously cast off in a hurry. Kyra and Kisame stood side-by-side in the shallow part of the river; waiting. Then, there was a lurch beneath the water. The two of them jumped at it and wrestled it into submission. Their laughter could probably be heard for miles.
“I've never seen Kisame have so much fun at one time,” Deidara remarked. “Yeah, without killing anyone,” Sasori added. The fish wrestlers finally lugged the enormous fish upon the grass. It was already unconscious from all the rough-housing. Kyra and Kisame stepped out of the river momentarily to check that the fish really was unconscious. Then, Kyra looked up; seeing the four stalkers. She waved cheerily to them. “Hey guys! Why don't you join us?” As a group, the four of them nodded; wondering why they'd waited. The initial pile on the bank grew larger as several splashes joined the first two.
It wasn't until about a half hour later that the six nin had enough. They gathered up their discarded clothes, still laughing. Together, they walked back to the hideout. Kyra was grinning from ear-to-ear. “Aren't you guys glad you joined us?” The others nodded as she shifted the gigantic fish from before to her other shoulder. It only took a matter of minutes until the hideout finally came into view. The six of them filed in as usual before each going off in their own direction; except for the two Jinchuruki. Akazaku was still smiling from earlier as she turned to Keyoko. “So, what do you wanna do, now?” Keyoko found herself frowning all of the sudden. “I hope you don't mind, but I think I need to be alone for now. Sorry.” Akazaku's smiled drooped a bit; clearly showing she was slightly hurt. But she kept her tone normal, not wanting to make Keyoko feel bad. “That's fine. I can go so what the others are up to, then.” She gave her `sister' a quick hug before heading off towards the darkened left hand hall. Keyoko watched her go before heading off towards the opposite hallway.
She sighed loudly as she realized she was alone. Before she knew it, the silence had allowed her thoughts to suck her in. `I hope I didn't hurt Aka's feelings. I just need some time alone to think.' She walked further down the hallway, dead silence still reigning. `I can't believe the final task is already tomorrow. What's gonna happen if during my fight I lose control and reveal Hachi's power? I'm dead meat then. Not even Sasori can protect me from ALL of Akatsuki. Oh, what am I gonna do? I ALWAYS overdo things in fights.' She ceased her thoughts momentarily to moan in despair. `But wait, maybe if I choose someone I know I can beat, than maybe I won't have to use Hachi at all. Maybe Kisame? He does kinda have it coming to him since he strongly doubted me and Aka. Well, he's the one I know most about, so I guess that's my best bet.'
Her thoughts were interrupted as the soft padding of footsteps reached her ears. She quickly performed a series of hand seals, and became invisible. Pressing herself against the wall behind her, she spotted Itachi and Zetsu walking in her direction. They appeared to be arguing, as they were both yelling. “Look, there's nothing immoral about eating people! Killing one's own clan is far worse!” Itachi snorted. “When power is easily obtainable, one must take full advantage of the chance! You could never understand this! That is why you are weak!” Zetsu opened his mouth to retort, but Itachi was already moving his hands at light speed. A fire ball rocketed from Itachi's mouth, flying straight for Zetsu's face. He side-stepped at a speed almost equal to Itachi's; just barley missing the attack. Itachi proceeded to storm off moodily as the fire left a charred hole in the wall it'd hit instead.
Keyoko dropped her invisibility jutsu; facing Zetsu's back. “What's his problem? He just can't accept that his kind is delicious.” Zetsu was apparently talking to himself, so Keyoko knew he hadn't realized her presence yet. She softly placed a hand upon his left shoulder; causing him to jump and crane his neck. “Oh, it's just you. Don't sneak up on me like that.” Keyoko couldn't help but giggle at how foolish he'd been to leave himself so vulnerable. He frowned in response. “Stop laughing! What do you want, anyway?” Keyoko giggled again. “Actually, all I wanted was to see if I could scare you. You're too easy, Zetsu-kun.” She added the `kun' in there to confuse him. His frown deepened. “Hey, don't taunt me! I'm not your buddy! I know you and stripe hair hate me, so back off!” Keyoko's grin slipped off her face; replaced with a hurt look. “I don't hate you.”
Zetsu snorted. “Whatever you say. But neither of you is a member yet, so don't act as though I'm the one that needs sympathy. I'm sure one of you is gonna choose me anyway just so you can `beat the shit out of me' right?” He turned to walk away, but Keyoko's outstretched arm stopped him. He tried to pull away, but her grip was surprising vice-like. “What's your problem? Let me go!” He yelled; sounding slightly scared. She took hold of his other arm and turned him to face her. Her eyes were serious now. “Look, I'm not gonna challenge you tomorrow, okay? But I'm almost a hundred percent sure Aka will. So, because I don't hate you, I wish you luck.” She released his arms and turned to walk away. As he rubbed the marks her hands had left in his arms, she, without turning back, remarked, “And remember, when you play with fire, you're gonna get burned.” He stared in disgust as she faded from sight into the shadows of the lengthy hall.