Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Feeling Safe ❯ The story ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

When asked, Naruto says that he has never really felt safe.
 
Children feel safe because of their parents or guardians. They feel safe in the knowledge that their Mom or Dad will race into their rooms at four in the morning, calming their screams and assuring them that the monsters are only real in dreams, because they killed all the real monsters long ago. And they feel safe, after all, their parents are invincible, what could they possibly have to be afraid of in their arms?
 
Then they get a little older and their old fears seem foolish. They've long stopped believing in monsters or demons, and anyway, they can protect themselves now- they're ninja, and proud of it. And if they get a little cocky, well, there'll always be someone to help- they are, after all, members of a hidden village, which is a lot like a family in its own right. Their teammates are their siblings, and they will always have each other's backs.
 
Finally they're adults, and they know the world now- definitely no monsters, but humans are pretty dangerous in their own right. It's all right, though- they're trained to be the best, and they're not afraid to die for their village. They're not scared of anything. They know that people will be sad for their deaths, but they will be honored by the Hokage, and their names will be remembered. That's all that matters, right?
 
Naruto knows better. You can never be the best, someone will always be stronger then you. Everyone is scared of something, because when it comes right down to it all humans are angry, and petty, and selfish, and scared, and everyone is afraid to die, no matter how they work to convince themselves otherwise. And whether your name is remembered means nothing, because in a couple of years that's all it'll be, a name in a long list of names, that eventually begin to blur together, so you'll never be remembered for yourself, anyway. You'll just be another number on a piece of paper collecting dust in the Hokage's office. He knows, he's seen the ones already there.
 
Naruto knows that you can never defend yourself from everything, no matter how hard you try, so you might as well get a few good comments in before you fall. He knows that thevillage is like a family, but it's a family constantly twisting and turning, loving one day, murdering the next, and you can never really trust any of them anyway, because no nobody can trust ninja, not even each other. He knows that while your teammates may have your back, that only lasts while it suits them, and when something they want comes up, you get dropped like a hot coal.
 
Naruto knows that parents are never invincible, and they rarely kill the monster- more often the monster kills them. He knows that dreams are often so much more then just dreams, and should never be taken lightly.
 
And the monsters are very real.
 
Naruto knows- one's inside him right now, and who can protect him from what's inside of him? Other ninja? But then who would protect him from them?
 
When asked, Naruto says that he has never really felt safe.
 
. . .
 
Rain: I don't own Naruto, but I do own this story. Please let me know what you think!