Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Four Years Later ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Naruto woke up early in the morning. It was his and Sakura's tenth anniversary, and he took an earlier shift so they could spend more of the day with each other.

"Good morning, Naruto," said Sakura, who'd also just woken up. "I'll start breakfast."

While she was doing that, Naruto was getting his stuff together for work. His only regret was that they'd only spent four of their ten years actually together. Before that...

Naruto did his best not to think about it.

After breakfast, Naruto left for work, leaving Sakura alone with their three-year old twins, a boy named Sasshi and a girl named Saiko. Since her rescue from the Akatsuki, Sakura had managed to get her life back on track, but even now she occasionally had dreams about those six years.

Sasshi and Saiko knew nothing about this, of course. Sakura and Naruto both decided the kids didn't really need to hear about how some men once took their mommy away. At least not yet. Still, she figured it would be a while before they were ready.

She put that out of her mind, got the kids out of bed, and made breakfast for them. They hadn't yet reached school age, so she'd have a lot of time alone with them. She decided that today she'd get her housework over with as soon as possible so when Naruto got home they could get on with whatever he was planning.

Meanwhile, Naruto was was his workplace. In the intervening four years, Kakashi had been promoted to the corporate headquarters, and Iruka had taken his old job. Naruto, in turn, had filled Iruka's old position, while Sasuke was working for another department.

"Gaah! More paperwork!?" Naruto exclaimed. He enjoyed the pay and perks his current position brought him, but some parts of the job could be annoying at times. He put the forms aside so he could fill out a request for a larger budget. He knew Iruka would most likely reject this request, but he was going to try anyway.

After a short while, he got back to the other paperwork. That's when he noticed Konohamaru - now filling Naruto's old job - had been written up. Again.

"Oh, come on!" Naruto said. Konohamaru was clearly trying his best, but he was having a hard time learning how things were done at the company. Still, it was his supervisor's problem, so Naruto just filed the form away and forgot about it.

He took his lunch break alone, since there were few people nowadays for him to talk to. While eating, he looked over at his picture of himself, Sakura and the twins. If someone had told him five years ago how well his life would be going now, he would've laughed in their face. That, or knocked them flat on their ass.

He'd just finished his lunch when someone knocked on his door.

"Come in," said Naruto.

Iruka entered. "There's not much for you to do today," he said, "so why don't you take the rest of the day off?"

"You sure about that?"

"Yeah. Actually, Kakashi always bailed early to spend his anniversary with Anko. Or didn't you notice that?"

"I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention back then." Naruto thought it over a moment. "Okay, then. See you tomorrow." He got his stuff, left the building, and headed home.

Sakura saw him pulling up and was waiting for him at the door. "I didn't expect you back so soon," she said.

"I got to leave early," said Naruto. "I called Sasuke a while ago, and yeah, they can look after Sasshi and Saiko this evening."

"So, where will we be going?"

Naruto though about it for a moment. "How about you decide this year?"

"How about that place that opened last week?"

"That sounds good," Naruto said, although in truth he didn't really care where they went. It was times like this that let him know it was all worth it.

THE END