Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Freedom-Haters ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Where are we going?" asked Naruto.

"The Land of Baseball," said Tsunade. "The Hidden Freedom Village has asked for our help."

"And we're coming with you," said Gai. He was with Tenten and Neji.

"Hey," said Naruto. "where's Lee?"

"In the hospital. He was overloaded by his own awesomeness and is recovering. You're filling in for him."

"Anyway," said Tsunade, "You are to leave for the Land of Baseball tomorrow morning. And don't be late!"

"Or what?" said Naruto. "You'll send us back to the Academy?"

Neji and Tenten laughed.

"You're serious?" said Tenten. "You really fell for such an obvious bluff?"

The next day, in the Land of Baseball, the Village Leader met the arriving Leaf ninja.

"Welcome to the Village Hidden in the Freedom," he said. "I am the leader, not only of this village, but also of the Land of Baseball."

"This is unnecessary!" said one of the men. "We should at least verify that these 'enemies' of ours are a real threat."

"This man hates freedom!" shouted the Leader. "Take him away!"

The dissenter was dragged away by guards.

"Are you kidding?" protested Tenten. "All that just for -!"

"No," said Neji, "we cannot judge another people for how they choose to do things."

"Indeed," added the Leader. "Your tendency toward inaction is a weakness of yours."

"WHAT?!" said Naruto. "Insult the Leaf Village, will ya? Why I oughta -!"

Gai picked him up without warning. "Come on, let's not beat up the Village Leader. It would be a waste of all that youthful energy." He waited until Naruto was done flailing about before putting him down, then turned back to the Leader. "Okay, back to the main topic. Who are these 'enemies'?"

"They would have us violate the institution of marriage!"

"How?" said Tenten. "By allowing wives to speak?"

"Cut it out," said Gai. "What were you saying?"

"These people... " said the Leader, who was now visibly angry. "These TRAITORS, have the nerve to suggest that we allow Ninja to marry regular people!"

He was met with blank stares from the Leaf ninja.

"They clearly have no morals or values!" he shouted. "Who knows what these evildoers are plotting to do against us!"

"So, basically," said Gai, "you're asking us to lay the smackdown on your own people, based entirely on prejudice?"

"Are you saying you hate freedom?"

"I'm saying that, as team leader, I hereby refuse this mission." Gai had never looked so badass.

With that, Gai and his team were swarmed by Freedom ninja. They barely managed to fight their way out of the Leader's office, and were soon fleeing the Land of Baseball.

"Grandma Tsunade's not gonna like this," said Naruto.

"Unlike you," replied Neji, "we have good enough service record to make up for any failures."

As it turned out, their help wasn't even needed. The Leader was just using the supposed threat against his village to get himself re-elected. Once he began his new term, the whole issue was forgotten.

Not that it did Team Gai any good. Lee went back on duty just in time to find himself and his teammates cleaning the Leaf Village's sewers as punishment for ditching a mission.

THE END