Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Girls Like it When... ❯ Ch 3 - You Remember ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Don't Own Naruto…
 
Girls Like it When…
The Ultimate Guide to Becoming More Than Friends
 
Chapter 3: … Girls Like It When You Remember…
 
Do you remember time in the restaurant when she spilled her drink all over the table and you two laughed about it for the whole night? Or that time when she tore her shirt and you had to spend the whole day wearing your jacket? Well tell her! Remembering events of great meaning to her is a great way to make that move from friend to “more than a friend.”
Letters are the best way; they are subtle and can be planned out. Write a letter of a special memory that you two share making sure to include the right things. Include the aspects of the memory in which you two border on intimacy; such as any physical contact between you two or anything that belongs to only you two. Also, be sure to lightly, very lightly, touch upon “bad” things that other men in the memory have done; such as making fun of her or looking at other girls. You do not want this letter to help her remember someone else in a good light; only you!
The element of surprise can intensify the effects of the letter. Secretly placing the letter where a young lady can unexpectedly find it is a very useful technique. Allowing her to be surprised by the sudden remembrance rather than informed in advance can provide a sudden surge of intense emotions after reading the letter.
WARNING: Be sure to limit the letters you write as using this method too much makes you look like a sissy.
 
Sai closed the book and tried to think back to any special events that he had shared with Sakura. He walked to his desk and pulled out a pencil and a piece of parchment. “What is a special memory that Sakura and I share?” he asked the blank parchment.
After wracking his brain for about an hour he realized two things: 1) no memory he could recall was anything you could label as “special” between he and Sakura; and 2) every memory, save the last two attempts to win her affection, also had Naruto in it, but those were memories he'd rather not remind her of. With these two realizations Sai was stuck. He thought back to Team Kakashi's recent missions and wrote the first thing that came to mind.
Sakura, do you remember our mission to patrol the border of the Fire Country? It was very boring. I know we didn't speak much, but I'm sure that was due to Naruto's constant whining and complaining. Do you remember the deer that we saw? We could have used that for dinner….
Sai stopped mid-sentence. This letter was definitely not going to help him become “more than friends” with Sakura. “There's nothing special about this mission or any other mission we've been on!” Sai said angrily as he crumpled the parchment in his hand and discarded it to the floor. He looked down at a new, blank sheet. “The only reason a mission would be special to Sakura would be if….”
Sai's head lifted as a new idea entered his head. “That's it!” He felt a combination of familiar and unfamiliar feelings. He was used to the feeling of thinking about a problem and finding a solution, but he had never before been so joyous at the arrival of the solution. Sai's face looked like his fake smile, but he knew that it wasn't fake; he was not forcing it at all. He aimed his smile at the parchment and started to write.
By the time Sai felt confident that the memory was the perfect one and that he had followed all the instructions of the book, his floor was littered with crumpled parchments. He had rewritten and revised the letter so many times and only stopped because he was down to his last piece of parchment. He lifted it up and read it for the 100th time. “This is it…” he told himself as he put the letter in his pack and ran towards Sakura's apartment.
For about an hour, Sai hid on one of the roofs opposite Sakura's apartment and planned his method of suprise. From his viewpoint he could see a window that led into Sakura's bedroom, and right in front of the window was a desk with some neatly stacked papers and a picture frame that held something Sai could not see. While he watched he had seen Sakura sit at the desk, read a paper or two, and then leave her room numerous times. He knew that it was here that he had to surprise her; she would not expect the letter to suddenly be on the desk that she had been sitting at all day.
Sai planned to use his ninja art summoning to create a bird that could carry the letter up into her window and lay it on the desk, but every time that Sakura left her room she would return before Sai could execute his plan.
Sai waited for hours on the rooftop watching Sakura, unaware that he too was being watched. After the fourth hour of hiding and watching Sai noticed a familiar blonde girl out of the corner of his eye. Ino was walking happily down the middle of the street. From the almost over-pleasurable look on her face to the joyous skip in her step, Sai could not help but think that something bad was going to happen. After all, Ino could piece together all the clues that he had left for her; and, worst of all, she was headed straight for Sakura's apartment. Sai started to sweat as he now watched her skip closer and closer.
The sound of Ino's knuckles banging against Sakura's door echoed through Sai's head. With dread he watched Sakura stand up from her desk and leave the room. In only a moment she was standing face to face with a smiling Ino. Sai's face sank. “So this is sadness,” he spoke the letter he now held in his hand.
The sound of Ino's loud cackle caught Sai's attention and forced his gaze back to the two girls. He watched Ino with squinted eyes and what he could only believe was anger. Ino threw her head back with laughter at something Sai had not heard and she turned her body away from Sakura. Sai's eyes grew as his eyes connected with Ino's. “Go…” He had not heard the word but she mouthed it so even an infant would understand. With a slight nod towards Sakura's window Sai understood. Ino was giving him his opportunity.
Her intentions understood, Ino turned around and yelled something into Sakura's face. Sai had no time to read Sakura's loud retort, but he saw that Sakura's attention was now fully on Ino. He summoned his ink-like bird and it carried the letter up through the window and onto the desk, unseen by Sakura. Like she had timed it perfectly, Ino yelled one last thing into Sakura's face, turned around, and stomped off; a reappearing on her face only seconds later. Sai remained in his hiding spot as Sakura slammed the door.
Just as Sai had planned, Sakura sat down at her desk and looked down curiously. She picked up the letter and looked out the window for its author. Finding no one, she opened the envelope and unfolded the parchment. Sai, knowing the letter by heart, read along with her lips.
 
Sakura, do you remember our very first mission together? I remember it well. You and Naruto did not seem very pleased to have me on your team but I remember that you tried very hard to become friends with me.
Sai knew that at this point Sakura would know that it was from him. The facial expression that she would make now would show her feeling towards him. To Sai's enjoyment, Sakura smiled.
I was reluctant. I had never had friends before, but then you hit me. You hit me very hard. Looking back, I wish I would have dodged it because it hurt very much.
Sakura let out a very audible laugh and her smile only got bigger. Sai thought that his letter was perfect. He followed all the instructions to the tee. Sakura read on out loud.
That was the first sign of emotion I had ever received from a teammate, let alone a friend. Naruto refused to show me any emotion during the mission; he chose to save all of his emotion for Sasuke. I still do not understand why. Our first mission together was to bring Sasuke back, but he didn't want to come back. He wanted to stay with Orochimaru. Do you remember that he tried to kill all of us? He almost succeeded with Naruto.
Reading slower and slower now, Sakura's smile disappeared and her face seemed to droop. Sai could not understand. He had explained the `special' memory, he had shown the `physical' contact between the two, and he reminded her of the `bad' things the other guys had done. He didn't know what could cause her to frown like she did. Sakura's voice was now very loud as she continued.
I really think that a person like that, a person that no longer cares for the people he once called friends, a ninja who abandons his village, should be killed. We two, you and I, should have killed him. But you remember how it ended. Sasuke left with Orochimaru again and we were all left barely alive. I'm simply grateful that we all survived, and that I was able to spend time with you.
Sai could not believe his eyes as Sakura crumbled up the paper. He had expected tears of remembrance to be flowing from Sakura's eyes, but instead, her eyes seemed to be in flames. He could swear that part of the fire from Sakura's eyes had fallen onto the stack of papers causing a small fire on her desk.
“SAI!!!” The rooftop he had been standing on had started to shake at Sakura's voice. Sai struggled to remain hidden from her. In his attempt to better conceal himself Sai could not see Sakura through the window, but he had assumed that the loud crash he had just heard was Sakura's powerful fist smashing through her desk. “SAI!!!” Somehow this time her voice sounded louder.
Sai waited a few moments as the roof stopped shaking. The sound of a door slamming very hard caused him to look back at Sakura's apartment. She had left her house and was standing outside of her door. There was a crowd of people surrounding her, apparently Sai was not the only one that had heard her loud yells.
Sakura took one look at the crowd and, not seeing her target, proceed to stomp off down the road. Sai feared that it was he that Sakura was searching for, but to his surprise, and pleasure, Ino stepped out of the crowd and confronted Sakura. Sai watched in earnest as the two had a heated argument infront of the many spectators. The yelling and name calling did not last very long, but it seemed to take the anger out of Sakura.
Sai watched as Sakura yelled one last thing at Ino and turned to head back to her apartment; obviously satisfied and happier than when she had set out. Slamming the door behind her, Sai finally took his eyes off of her and moved them to Ino, who had remained in place. A smile formed on her face and again her eyes met Sai's. He watched as Ino formed a “thumbs-up” and winked at him before turning and skipping back down the road.
Sai decided it was best that he head home. This had been nothing but another failure. He didn't want to give her the chance to see him and reignite her anger. Sai left his hiding spot as Sakura picked up a crumbled piece of parchment and unfolded it. He never saw the smile reappear briefly on her face.