Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ His and Her Bone of Contention ❯ That Man ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto…just Neji--kidding!
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
Summary: It was a good dream, one which will occur soon...but who is she of all people to invade my future!
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
//Well this will be fun// her inner personality snickered.
 
`I figured you couldn`t keep quiet for too long,' Sakura groaned,.
 
//C'mon, you know you're hopeless without me//
 
`Is that so?' She rubbed her temples gently in hopes of stupendously making her other self shut up, `You've spoken up now after a whole week's worth of peace, what is it you have to nag me about this time?'
 
//Geez, always so grumpy…anyways, we're going on an upper ranked mission, which involves “flattering” an incredibly handsome villain-to say the least, along with the ever-powerful Hyuuga Neji…// her sarcastic inner-self rang.
 
`Uh-huh…' she waited for the rest of her statement, `Well? What about it?!'
 
//Mah, I'm just reminding you, that's all// she displayed a mischievous grin.
 
`Wow. I have so many issues.'
 
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
 
Neji's Point of View
 
 
 
“Neji, the Hyuuga's absolute genius, and to whom I am very proud to call `nephew' please accept the position of becoming the Head of the entire Hyuuga Clan,” Hiashi, and four of the other Hyuugas at the top of the social scale, bowed, non too deeply, to their new superior.
 
“I'm honored, Hiashi-sama,” I bow respectfully in return.
 
“Nay, Neji-sama, you are now our main leader, please do not be so courteous,” my uncle dips into another excessive bow, “We are more than thrilled to have You as our new Head; one who has the strongest Hyuuga kekkei genkai, and an honorable branch leader. My dear brother will surely be proud of your success in becoming the first to alter our tradition.”
 
One of the Hyuuga consultants kneel before me with a long and narrow wooden box woven with silk--I recognize this woman as my father's third cousin's sister. The Hyuuga's Head Treasurer stoop before me as well, now with a rather authentic-looking scroll.
 
My uncle opens the embroidered box revealing a fine sword (as I suspected) with the Hyuuga emblem carved on the steel itself. He then gives to me the scroll which holds all the previous Lords of the Clan's history, and handing me a brush is my aunt's mother's brother.
 
I sign the bottom of the scroll beneath my uncle's name, thus confirming my right of the thrown.
 
It was a wonderful sight to behold and a position I will value to it's utmost extent. If only my father were to witness such a grand ceremony--
 
 
“Beautiful sunset, don't you think?”
 
Sinful shades of emerald and rose blur my vision.
 
Chimes of an eerily familiar voice deafen my hearing.
 
Scents of lavender and espresso overwhelm my senses.
 
A pleasant warmth radiates from some comfortable presence--
 
 
I fall off my futon, only to find myself tangled in layers of expensive silk and a sore spot on my left cheekbone, `Haruno!'
 
It was a good dream, one which will occur soon. . . , but who is she of all people to invade my future!
 
This day is not turning out to be one of my favorites.
 
Ignoring the faint uneasiness and confusion of having that girl interrupt my subconscious' dwellings, I take a quick shower and advance towards the main kitchen.
 
I suppose that Fate wanted to foreshadow a clear and absolute sign of dread, for when I slid open the kitchen door I find my darling cousin baking what seemed like muffins with some aggravatingly blonde stranger.
 
“Yo, Neji!” the stranger waves a flour-coated hand.
 
I shut the door and decide that breakfast could wait.
 
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
Ever since Sasuke betrayed Konoha to join Orochimaru's Hidden Sound, Sakura had gotten extremely depressed. Fortunately, she had good friends who helped her through her struggling, making her abandon her false love for the man. . . especially Ino.
 
“Holy Shit!” Ino splurged her encouragement, “To be working with the--fuckin' hot--Hyuuga Neji. He's fuckin' gorgeous, I tell ya!” Her feminine voice was thick with a trashy accent . Chouji always scolded her for being such a potty-mouth, but even Shikamaru couldn't do anything to ease it.
 
“Eh, Ino, watch it. Sometimes it seems like you always have an eye on every guy in Konoha,” Sakura sighed, “and don't forget about Shikamaru,” she quirked a brow.
 
And that's all it took for Ino to halt her girlish squealing. At the mention of Shikamaru's name, her cheeks burned a flashy red with a small smile displayed automatically on her cherry-gloss lips.
 
Sakura couldn't help but give a loud laugh at how her friend can be so outrageous when speaking of other men and any topics that may concern them, but when it comes to the lazy Nara boy, she turns into a mass of Yamanaka gush.
 
“Hmph, at least I have a man,” she stared at her pointedly, “You need a guy, but not just any guy,” images and descriptions of a vast variety of men surged Ino's mind as though there was a stock of files kept away in a portion of her brain, “…someone who's really, and I mean really, sexy and strong…with an IQ too…and enjoys just laying back, relaxing…” Her brilliant-blue eyes now sparkling as a mental image of her and a certain somebody was embedded into her thoughts.
 
“So…basically you want me to get with Shikamaru,” Sakura summarized bluntly, an amused smirk teasing her lips.
 
“Don't you dare think of Shikamaru as more than a friend, Sakura, or I'll make sure you don't think at all,” her dark words were assuredwith her chakra-oozing fist.
 
“Hai!,” she squeaked in fear, eyes shut closed in anticipation to what she knew could be an undoubtedly painful blow.
 
“Ah-hahaha!” her friend gave an animated laugh, with a hand covering her mouth slightly, “I'm glad we're clear on that.”
 
“Eh heh heh heh” Sakura tried nimbly to laugh along with Ino.
 
“..but your not jealous, right?” The flower girl did a whole 360, now speaking hushed words.
 
“Why would I be?” Sakura grew instantly confused, “I'm happy for you--I wouldn`t be jealous at all, besides, Shikamaru's not my type.”
 
“No, that`s not what I meant,” Ino eyed Sakura shyly,
 
She finally understood now.
 
“. . Ino. . .”
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
That morning, the two partners were asked to report to the Hokage's tower for mission details and strategy planning.
 
“Tsunade-sama, I'm sure you can reconsider!” Sakura voiced frustrated attempts.
 
“Haruno-san, please understand. Tsunade-sama is doing you a favor!” In return, Shizune tried her best to calm down her fellow associate, and preventing any damage in the newly reconstructed office.
 
“Favor?!” she gasped in sickening shock.
 
“Ugh, Sakura~, that's enough,” Tsunade rubbed the diamond on her forehead in aggravation.
 
“How do you exp--”
 
“I cannot perform a successful mission with an immature partner.”
 
Sakura scoffed at the nonchalant Hyuuga who barely stepped past Tsunade's heavy redwood doors.
 
“You too?” Tsunade lolled her head back against the chair.
 
Her apprentice sucked in a large amount of air and let her mouth ramble all sorts of protests, “When I asked for a higher-ranked mission that was out of the ordinary, I didn't mean, `Assign me into a mission which I'll be needed to flirt and God knows what, with some murderer-slash-rapist-slash-bandit and, of all things, along side N-Ne-Nn--”
 
“Neji,” he finished blatantly.
 
“Thank you,” she huffed, crossing her arms tightly beneath her chest.
 
`How can she speak so abnormally fast?' said male stared off into the pink bundle of chaos.
 
Tsunade merely laughed drunkenly, “I still don't understand why your getting so worked up over this mission!” Taking another gulp of red wine, “It's hilarious!”
 
Before Sakura could pounce into another tedious rant, Neji sat down on one of the chairs in front of Tsunade's desk, “Let's just get this over with.”
 
“Yes! Let's,” the Godaime eyed her pupil amusingly.
 
The girl finally found her spot next to Neji and fidgeted tirelessly around the velvet cushions. He hid a weary sigh, but rolled his eyes.
 
“Well there's not much else to tell you since the messenger who brought us the request didn't have any other knowledge, aside the fact that he was too injured to inform us of anything else,” she stared down at her porcelain drink, seemingly observing how the crimson wine would stain the white cup, “A fine young man…I can only hope that Mr. Takashiro reaches the heavens.”
 
That name…it startled both Sakura and Neji.
 
`Takashiro, you say?' he sounded the name in his head, trying to grasp why it seemed so familiar.
 
“Sou,” the Hokage nodded.
 
“Takashiro-san was my patient three days ago--suffered from third-degree burns, a dislocated left shoulder and left knee, along with a damaged spiral chord,” Sakura whispered to herself, though everyone in the room heard her silent remembrance.
 
“He was so wounded that even after Sakura's remedies, and the surgical treatments I had helped with, he died the very next day,” Tsunade added grimly, “By the evidence shown through his corpse, we assume that he had been ambushed. Fire was included, and he must've been beaten roughly--possibly with a short blade crafted interestingly with steel, bronze, and chromium that only the Hidden Waterfall can produce,” she pulled out a paper scribbled with notes, “Judging by the thin scratches scattered on his torso, the enemy might've used a clip-point blade or some exceptionally authentic bowie knife,” and with a sigh, “He probably managed to escape, which is why we have this mission in our hands. Other than that, I have no other information.”
 
“Was Takashiro-san a trained shinobi?” Neji asked.
 
“Not that I know of.”
 
“Then we can't conclude the enemy's level of strength,” his mind already calculating the circumstances, “They can either be standard nins, which is why he was able to escape, or a higher-ranked nin who…” Neji's experienced skill in strategy was launching all sorts of suspicion, “..released him on purpose, thus contacting Konoha and leading us into their game.”
 
“What if…” the thought was in her mind but Sakura waited until it fully developed, “..he did manage to escape, only because there had been a decoy, or some other person with him that had been engulfed by the attack before Takashiro was targeted.”
 
He raised his glassy orbs towards her, slightly impressed that her mind was able to formulate such complex possibilities right after the given data. There might actually be something more to Sakura than just being his troublesome doctor.
 
“Mm…” Tsunade hummed in deep speculation. (She had noticed that somewhat stirred look that Neji gave Sakura, and secretly smiled at how talented her apprentice was.)
 
After a drawled out quietness, “Ne! That was a good meeting!,” she boomed in glee, “Tomorrow you'll start your mission to Hidden Waterfall, and I recommend you two get to know each other more! I'm sure you two will work it out just peachy, Oh hohoho~!”
 
All too sudden, the sober atmosphere was broken, and their pink medic was, yet again, reminded of how much Tsunade and Ino were one in comparison.
 
“No thanks, I'm going home,” she grumbled tiredly, clearly irritated.
 
“If your sure that that's all your willing to share with us,” Neji looked straight at the Hokage, “then I'll be leaving as well.”
 
She replied with a silent smile, `Such a sharp man.' “Before you leave, how about a proper introduction between you two, eh?”
 
Sakura's gaze quickly darted towards Neji, eyeing him warily.
 
Neji, however, didn't need to dart his eyes at Sakura since his white ones could already see more than what was comfortably necessary…
 
It only fueled her frustration when she noticed that Neji was still very much looking unperturbed, `Urgh! The nerve of this guy, I mean, what is he? A robot? Statue? --only to be taking orders and being damned perfect!' Sakura, herself, didn't notice how much she was squirming around in the velvety cushions and gripping it's fancy tassels, but everyone else in the room did.
 
`She's too cute,' Tsunade chuckled.
 
Abruptly, Neji stood up from his cozy seat and faced Sakura. “Haruno,” still wearing his royal expression, he bent into a bow.
 
`Saying my name as though he's never met me before; disgusting.'
 
Sakura, unknowingly pissed, shot up stiffly and returned the bow, though less courteously, “Hyuuga.”
 
`Saying my name as though I were her threatening enemy; amusing.'
 
The `old woman' in front of them noticed a glint at the edge of Neji's perpetual Byakugan, and the spark in Sakura's blazing green glare; already she was enjoying herself.
 
The two shinobis bowed farewell to both Tsunade and Shizune as well, then walked off as…acquaintances (at least they're not strangers).
 
“Eh~, my dear Sakura is finally going on her first intimate mission!,” the grown woman sounding much like a dreaming mother, “and with a good-looking partner too~! Oh hohoho!”
 
“Ts-Tsunade-sama, maybe you should lay off the wine for now, ne?” Shizune reached for the heavy bottle, but her boss was quick to grab it again.
 
“NO TOUCHY!”
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
`Darn…' with each step down the tall stairs of the tower, her anticipation grew thicker about the mission, `How should I handle this? That old woman didn't even give us any useful details--I forgot what we're supposed to do in the first place!'
 
`I recommend you two get to know each other more!'
 
`Ugh, what kind of idiotic--but Tsunade-sama always speaks honestly…even though she`s drinking all the time,' she sulked.
 
“Hey, Hyuu--” she turned to Neji but he was already at the bottom of the stairs, “--ga…” while Sakura was still leisurely taking her tenth step.
 
`What! Already? Geez…' she decided that sliding down the side rails were a lot faster, `We're partners from now on, and should try to at least formulate some plan.'
 
//Can't you just do that while your on your way tomorrow morning?// Inner Sakura stated bluntly.
 
`Well, yeah, of course, but it would be better if we prepared before hand.'
 
//Mmm…// her alter ego quirked a brow //You sure your not just trying to find an excuse to get closer to him? Hm, Hm?//
 
`Eh?' Sakura was bewildered at her own curiosity, `We're talking about Hyuuga Neji, C'mon.'
 
//Your mentioning him as though he's cursed or something//
 
Sakura ignored that last comment and stopped to watch Neji's figure shrink gradually at the distance.
 
`Why would I want to get attached to him of all people…' she (literally) asked herself.
 
//I'll let you find that one out yourself// her other personality disappeared, leaving an imprint of Inner Sakura's mischievous smile flashing at the corner of her head.
 
`Why does my conscious have such an attitude?' Sakura was tired and she could care less about what Outer Sakura's teasing. `Anyway, I need to start getting friendly with Neji.'
 
//Well, don't get too comfortable!// a sudden burst of cackling rang thoroughly in her mind.
 
`Will you shut the fuck up?!' Sakura scratched her hair in hopes of nudging her alter self back into it's hidden room, `I don't have time for this, m'kay?' With that, the laughter faded away and finally, all seemed blissful. She then let out a relieved sigh--Outer Sakura could be such a bother.
 
`Oh snaps! Where's Neji?' At first, she thought he had completely left, but she caught a glimpse of his super shiny hair. She could almost hear a whipping noise as his dark locks flicked past the crowd of people, warning them to look in awe but never touch.
 
`Stupid thing…thinks he's all that and a bag of sushi…tch…' but even with that thought in mind, she ran after him, trying to swim against the strong current of fangirls.
 
“Kyaaaa! Neji-kuun! Please look this way!” Shrills of young girls were kept unsuppressed.
 
“Neji-sama, such a handsome young fellow…” Heck, he even made aged women blush at his mightiness.
 
“I'm gonna be just as strong as Hyuuga Neji when I grow up!” Little boys adorned him for reasons Sakura couldn't understand.
 
“Heheh, Ne-kun has pretty-ful eyes,” young gals would giggle cutely as he glided past them.
 
Sakura tried to keep up but, as she trailed behind him, she would look around at all the dawdling females who had smiles edged with admiration. `What could they possibly--?'
 
“Is there something you need, Haruno?” Said woman had slammed her cheek and nose against his muscled chest.
 
“Uh…,” she pulled away instantly but caught herself liking the texture of his Hyuuga robe, with the mingling scents of jasmine and mint, `--The hell?' astounded by her own sudden train of thought, she trudged a few steps back. She rubbed her nose, uncertain whether it was tingling because of the collision, or because of Neji's surprisingly pleasant scent.
 
He just stood there, patiently waiting for his long forgotten answer, until Sakura finally realized that he had asked a question.
 
“Oh, right, I was wondering if you'd like to come over for dinner?,” she looked up at him with an expectant yet grim smile.
 
“Thank you for the offer,” being the gentleman that he is, Neji didn't reject her so rapidly, “but we'll be seeing each other soon tomorrow, we'll talk then.”
 
“Tsunade-sama said that we should at least get to know each other's favorite colors,” Sakura smirked jokingly.
 
“Pardon?,” raising his mighty brow, “There is no need for us to discuss something so insignificant, but either way, I have no special attachment to colors.”
 
Hearing him utter such a simple word was highly amusing, but even more so was his sense of humor. Goodness, for an ANBU so frighteningly genius, his logics and common sense were incredibly poor.
 
As though speaking to a child, “It's a figure of speech,” and Sakura let herself chuckle loudly. He had sounded so serious and looked almost appalled, that she just had to laugh.
 
“Obviously, your not ready for a guest. Laughing uncontrollably can be due to lack of sleep and overwhelming stress, which you seem to be suffering by,” he furrowed his brows, “You should be on your way, Haruno.” Neji turned his back and began walking the other direction.
 
“Eh?” she stopped abruptly, “Kedo, I would love to have you over.”
 
His gliding went to a halt, just standing there for a while with his back still out towards Sakura.
 
A smile crawled up her lips, `He actually listens to what I say.'
 
“No, thank you.” With that, he went on his merry way back to the mansion.
 
EH?!” she exclaimed with an open jaw.
 
There she stood, perfectly perplexed, and still in absolute shock, realizing that it was her first time asking someone out (though not intentionally) and was rejected.
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
`Who in Kami's name does he think he is?!,' she belly flopped across her bed still sulking over Neji's rudeness.
 
//I don't think he realizes how many men would fight a war to have dinner in our house// Sakura pitched in her 2 cents.
 
`Exactly!' Sakura strongly agreed.
 
But when they absorbed all their childish reasoning, and both Sakura's were calmed down, `Okay well, just because I'm living with Naruto…my house is straight out chaos…and the fact that I can't cook for shit--'
 
//--other than instant noodles, take-out, and Ino's homemade survival food, we would be in sheer starvation right about now. . .//
 
`Mm, that too…,' she hummed to herself, `Wait! What point was I trying to make again?'
 
//Meh…I forgot too, but I'm hungry so how about some dinner?//
 
On the way towards the kitchen, she debated with herself whether it was fish or chicken tonight.
 
`We've been eating too much meat this week, besides, we'll have tuna! They say it's the chicken of the sea, right?'
 
Before she could wait for Inner Sakura's next complaint, her sensitive ears caught slight noises coming from the kitchen. `Naruto's back already? I wonder what happened with Hinata that he didn't stay at the Hyuuga's for dinner (like he always does).' She gave a sigh, somewhat irritated that she'll have to make food for more than one party.
 
“Yo, Baka, don't make too much me--ss s . . .” Sakura's eyes were wide awake as she stared at the intruder of her pantry, still making that “S” sound.
 
The intruder wasn't Naruto, and he didn't seem to find it extremely odd that Hyuuga Neji was stacking a variety of ingredients on the countertop, all the while simmering sesame oil and vegetables on one of the pans Sakura received from her parents.
 
“Hy--hy--HYUUGA! What-the-fuck-are-you-doing-in-my-kitchen-you-sneaky-son-of-a-bitch- !”
 
Ah, yes, all that suppressed irritation was final freed from her chest, unfortunately, Neji was the first one to experience it.
 
“Your door was unlocked,” he stuck a thumb out towards her disclosed door, “I felt it unnecessary to knock, decided to accept your earlier invitation, and since your cabinets are empty, also decided to make us both dinner.”
 
Dumbstruck, Sakura looked as though she had seen an apparition and feeling a massive urge to slap herself alive from this terror.
 
He, on the other hand, was completely comfortable tossing and mixing steamed vegetables and fried rice together, expertly using a utensil she didn't even know she owned.
 
Neji was still composed and rather arrogant looking, but he seemed like he was actually enjoying himself, in a really obscure way. When Sakura finally came back to their current universe, she found it hard not to smile at her intruder's attire.
 
Neji had his hair back in a sleek ponytail, a handkerchief folded unusually crisp, was covering the top of his head, with sleeves rolled and tied at the back. She adored how well he wore her pink and yellow apron, embroidered cutely with bright red strawberries, along with all his manly glory.
 
 
Not bothering to make things any more complicated and with a happy smile on her face, she suggested, “Can I help you out?”
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
A/N: It's been so long since I've posted a chapter, and as always, I am truly sorry! But I think I'm finally getting the hang of writing fics. I'm trying to improve as much as I can for all of your viewing pleasure, hehe. I really hope that you enjoyed this.
 
I hope to persuade some of you Neji haters, or anti-NejiSaku fans into seeing how lovely this couple is! I can tell that I'm going to have a lot of fun writing this story, and hopefully you'll like it as well.
 
Thank you to everyone who's spending their time reading my stories, and any feedback, no flames please, are much appreciated. I'll thank you, again, in advance.