Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Kakashi's Sedentary Adventures ❯ Five More Minutes, Please ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I'd love to write more of this story, but I can't imagine trying without at least some knowledge of Make Out Paradise. Anyone under 18 shouldn't know anything about it, but I want to refer to characters and such. Maybe I can find stuff on the internet that doesn't refer to Naruto.

I don't use any japanese terms, since I don't speak japanese and you probably don't either. I find this easier to read and understand, than fics with japanese phrases that I may not have come across before.

Any further thoughts, queries, flames or suggestions, please just hit the review button down there and I promise to read them.

This is all about Kakashi and italics are his thoughts.


The alarm woke him. He'd bought the loudest, most irritating one he could find and always managed to wake up just before it went off. As a result, he would turn it off before it could ring and he'd quite forgotten what the sound was like. This was the first time he'd been serenaded by it and he didn't enjoy the experience.

First item on the list today must be to buy a new alarm.

He lay stretched out on the bed, listening to the birdsong coming in through the window, along with the chatter of easy risers. The damp sheets stuck to him, uncomfortably and he threw off the upper layers, after a short struggle. The sweat that still soaked his body evaporated in the soft draught from his window, raising goosebumps on his exposed skin. He stayed there, listening to the soft noise and slowly drifting off once more, until an all-too-familiar voice struck through his weary laziness into the nerve centre of his brain. Ack, what? Dishwasher! He listened to the boy's fading song about being the world's greatest ninja, as he slumped from the bed.

DressedKakashi-no-jutsu! A yawn spoiled his superman-in-a-phone-booth moment and he had to do it the old-fashioned way. Fully attired, he stumbled into his bathroom, pulled down his mask and looked blearily into the mirror. He flared his nostrils and examined them closely before turning his attention to his chin. He tilted his neck and extended his jaw, looking at his skin from every angle and with every facial expression. Finally he sighed and replaced his mask. Still no beard. He poked his eyelids and pulled at his baggy skin, but couldn't lift his droopy expression. They'll all know that I've had a late night. He yawned again. Oh, well. Can't be helped.

The fridge door felt worrying light as he pulled it open. The sheer white of its insides hurt Kakashi's eyes, as he searched desperately for something edible. His shoulders slumped as he realised his mistake. Yesterday was shopping day. I've bought no food in two weeks. Time to raid the shelves. He pulled ancient morsels from the farthest reaches of the fridge, which he bit and tossed into the bin. Out of date. Other non-tasty tidbits joined them, as the search widened to his shelves and cupboards. His stomach grumbling, he pulled out a dusty plastic pot. He blew on the cover, but age had obscured the print and he couldn't read what was inside. Will I, won't I? Hunger won and he boiled a kettle. While waiting for it to boil, he pulled out 100 Home Diagnoses and looked up the symptoms of food poisoning. The kettle's whistle disturbed his reading and he stood up wearily and took it off the boil. He picked up the pot, peeled back the foil and sniffed it cautiously. Smells okay. He carefully added the water and watched it rehydrate. Looks like ramen! He grabbed a fork from the sink and washed it as he waited for his food. Cooked? No? What do you call it when you make pot ramen? When the allotted time was up, he plunged the fork into the ramen and shovelled it into his mouth. He swallowed quickly and waited. No ill effects. Hmm. This time, he chewed a bit more leisurely and tasted it, before swallowing. This isn't that bad. He finished up, far more happily. I guess I must have mastered ironstomach-no-jutsu. He brushed his teeth, quickly, before leaving the house, even managing a whistle as the full glare of the sun hit him.

The trees cast a cooling shadow and the muted sounds from the village lulled his ears, as he trudged through the woods. The birdsong reminded him of his cosy bed that morning and his eyelids drooped farther. What was my dream about? I'm pretty sure that there were girls in it and maybe Iruka. He was representing something else, though. A soft, passing breeze caressed his skin and offered some of the delights of warm sheets. His step grew slower and he began to gauge the grass underfoot for comfort. Once more, Naruto's voice shocked him from his reverie. I must be nearly there. His legs feeling like independent lead weights, he walked up to the grove and his students.

Naruto and Sasuke were already eyeballing each other. Sakura's face changed quicker than a nice girl during a pervert alert, as her glances switched from Sasuke's grunts, to Naruto's petulance and back again. Kakashi sighed, I guess I'd better think up a game to entertain them for the day and walked up to the group.

"Master Kakashi!" The kids lined up before him, though only Sakura kept her full attention on him. Sasuke was staring off into the middle distance and Naruto was obviously still seething from some slight, delivered by him. I think I can see a way to end today's lesson quickly, Kakashi thought. A nice nap would be heaven. He walked up and down the line, inspecting his troops, hands clasped behind his back.

"Today, we will learn a very valuable lesson," he said. "I want each of you to think about what is asked of you." He looked each of them seriously in the eyes, as he sauntered past and gave them some time to let his words sink in, before continuing. "Sakura, please step forward."

As she nervously detached herself from the group, Kakashi backed away, Sakura following, until they were at the other end of the grove.

"Sakura," he said. "Remember this word. 'Key', okay? Your word is 'key'."
"Key," she repeated, before looking up at him, confused. "Err, what does it mean?"
"All will be explained," Kakashi answered solemnly. "Now go back to the others and send Naruto over to me."

He watched Sakura turn and cross the grass. She had Sasuke's attention for once, but that was more because he was pointedly ignoring Naruto, rather than because he was interested in her. Naruto was still glaring at Sasuke, his little body shaking with suppressed rage. I guess that whatever Sasuke did really hit on Naruto's nerves. Makes me almost curious. Sakura spoke first and Naruto turned his attention to her. His face changed into it's usual puppy-dog expression, although his tight fists betrayed the continuing presence of his rage. He responded to her, obviously asking about what I said to her. Sakura shook her head and shrugged her shoulders. Sasuke turned his head, still keeping his eyes off Naruto. What focus that boy has. If he keeps it when he discovers girls, he'll be a fine ninja indeed.

As they continued to speak Kakashi closed his eyes and let his ears awaken. Greathearing-no-jutsu! The calls of the birds and the rustle of insects and animals overwhelmed him, before he focused on the young shinobi. I wonder just how much Sakura said.

Her voice floated over to him. "I think he wants to speak with each of us," she said.
"Yeah, but what did he say, exactly?" Naruto asked eagerly. "What sort of training are we gonna do?"
"The sooner that idiot gets over there," stated Sasuke coldly, "the sooner the training will begin."
"Who're you calling an idiot?!"
"Naruto!" Sakura called out. Probably crossing her arms and protecting her beloved Sasuke, Kakashi thought. As if he needs it. Naruto and Sasuke. Naruto and Sasuke. Naruto has passion, drive and unbelievable ambition. Sasuke has a goal, but once he achieves it, he'll be empty. I'm most worried about him. Sakura's voice lifted again. And least worried about her. Once she gets over boys, she'll make a fine ninja.
"I just want to know what I'll be facing!" Naruto said. "Be prepared!" Is he actually starting to listen to me? I'll have to pay attention to whatever stock proverbs I use. "Yeah, yeah. I'm going."

The sound of sandals kicking clumps of grass came towards Kakashi, from the group and Sakura and Sasuke lapsed back into silence. The gentle scent of the woods, leaves, grass and forest flowers, tickled Kakashi's nose. The chirps of the birds echoed in his ears and their melodies lulled him back to sleep, yet he felt awake and energised. Did he really need to open his eyes? We never spend enough time, simply listening to the world go by. It sounds peaceful. He was comfortable as he was and even the slightest twitch of his eyelids tired him. As Naruto came closer, his eyes gummed shut and all he could do was lean against a nearby tree for strength.

"Master!" Naruto said loudly. "Are you asleep?"
"No," Kakashi responded quietly. "Do you know why I drew you away from the group?"
"Err," he replied and Kakashi could almost hear him thinking. "So they wouldn't know what we were saying?" he asked tentatively.
"Exactly," Kakashi said. "So quieten down, they can hear you."
"Sorry, Master!" he whispered. "What do you want to see me for?"
"Naruto," he said. "Remember this word. 'Ramen', okay? Your word is 'ramen'."
"Mmmmm, I like ramen! Good choice, Master. I'm hungry, when do we eat?" he asked.
Kakashi sighed and pried open one eye. Thank goodness I have one eye that can sleep away. Oooh, bright light. "All will be explained," he answered solemnly. "Now go back to the others and send Sasuke over to me."

"Do I have to, Master? Sasuke, he ... he ..."
Kakashi tried desperately to focus his eye on Naruto, who sighed.
"Okay, Master. I'll send HIM over."

Naruto turned and trudged away. Kakashi closed his eye in relief and felt the bark beneath his back. With it, he scratched an itch just under his left shoulder. Naruto's shuffle ended with a loud yell at Sakura.

"Sakura, tell the other member of this team that Master Kakashi wants to see him now." There was a brief silence before he yelled again. "Hey!" Sasuke was already half-way to Kakashi's tree. Bah, gotta wake up again. This time, he managed to crock it half-open, before Sasuke arrived. Sasuke stopped a half pace from Kakashi and waited, looking sullenly at his teacher.

"Sasuke," he said. "Remember this word. 'Comic', okay? Your word is 'comic'."
Sasuke grunted and turned to leave.
"All will be explained," Kakashi said to his back. "Now get the others to join us over here." And stop pretending that you know what I'm going to say. I hate it when people anticipate my actions. I'm supposed to be a ninja, after all. Whoops, I am a ninja. l33t, too. Wake up, Kakashi!

The group formed slowly around him.

"Right," he said, leaning forward and lifting away from the tree. "Each of you has a word. This is your secret. This is your mission. You must keep your word safe." He circled the group, studying their reactions. Sakura looked confused, Naruto pleased at a mission he'd already succeeded at and Sasuke looked bored.
"Is that it?" Sakura asked.
"No," he continued. "You all have a second mission. Whoever succeeds in both, is the winner. Naruto, you have to find out what Sasuke's word is." Naruto's face fell. "Sakura, you have to find out what Naruto's word is." If anything, she looked even more confused. "Sasuke, you have to find out what Sakura's word is. Understood? Good. I'll be over here." I wonder who'll crack first? Naruto, or Sakura.

He returned to his tree and watched his pride and joy. Sakura was staring at Sasuke. Sasuke looks like he's already won. Will Sakura try to gain his favour, by giving him her word, or will she attempt to gain face, by winning herself? Sakura smiled and opened her mouth, before turning to Naruto and cooing sweetly.
"Naruto!" she breathed. "What's your word?"
Naruto's eyes lit up. "Sakura-chan," he squealed. "Of course. It's blumph-hmph-ha-ha."
"Don't you dare tell her your word, Naruto." Sasuke had launched himself at Naruto and now had his arm around Naruto's throat and his hand stuffed down Naruto's throat.
Naruto spat it out. "I'll tell her if I want, Sasuke. You can't stop me!" He barrelled into Sasuke, knocking him over and overbearing him onto the ground. Sasuke's shocked expression lasted just long enough to brace himself and flip into the air, knocking Naruto aside and gaining space between them. Naruto stuck his tongue out and turned to Sakura. "Sakura-chan! Mumph blumph-ha!" While he stopped to spit out the clod of grass in his mouth, he missed Sasuke's jump into the air. Still airborne, he took a bandage out of his pocket and flung one end at Naruto's mouth. A sharp kunai knife pinned the bandage to the ground, as Sakura joined the fight.

"Heh, heh. Nice work, Sakura," Naruto gloated.
"Two against one, is it? Figures," said Sasuke. "You'd never be able to beat me alone."
"Naruto! If you can talk, tell me your word!" ordered Sakura.
"Sorry, Sakura-chan. It's ramph bumph umph," he spluttered.
Sasuke smiled coldly and turned to the angry Sakura, who was now helping Naruto by clattering him on the back. "Sakura. Uh," he said, uneasily. "If you tell me your word, I'd like to take you out on a date."
Her face, flushed and frozen, was an easy target for Naruto, who scooped up Sasuke's bandage and tied it tightly around her head. "What was that Sa-su-ke?"

The three-way fight continued all day. Each time one tired, the focus shifted, from Naruto, to Sakura and even to Sasuke. Kakashi dozed off, from time to time, awakening always to the continuing battle, which was probably the quietest these ninja would ever have. When the sun set, Kakashi strode into the centre of the clearing and called off the fight.

"I'm very proud of all of you," he said. "None of you won, but then again, no-one lost. I was impressed by your stamina and ingenuity." He took a moment to pat each of them on the back. "Team-work is important, but it's also important to test yourself against your peers. Your greatest rivals are in this group and you must work hard to improve their skills, so that you can grow stronger yourself." He smiled broadly at the tired threesome. "Now it's late. Go home and enjoy a good rest. You deserve it. We'll start late tomorrow." And I'll have an early night too. I really need to get some real sleep. I might just re-read Make Out Paradise Volume 1 first. Then, starting tomorrow, I'll read the rest in order until I get to the new book again. Although, if I read quickly, I might be able to get most of Volume 2 done tonight...


I finished this story while I was sick and off work. I hope the quality doesn't suffer near the end, due to this.

Don't worry QLSOTCR, an honest review is most humbly appreciated and I thank you for your words.
May-VeggieGirl1, you got your wish and thanks for reading, darkestrose.

Thanks to those readers, to everyone else, please tell me what you think. Constructive criticism welcomed and flames tolerated.