Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Lessons in Shinobi Love ❯ Lesson 12: To Surpass ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm going to extend updates on this to every two weeks, my life is currently busy, so until things calm down, this fanfic will be updated every other week until further notice or until I complete a few other fanfictions. Don't worry, that shouldn't be long since one has three chapters left and the other has two.
 
Sorry for the delay.
 
Hope this doesn't seem like I'm going too fast, I want to fly through some discussions so it won't be as boring and re-capish.
 
 
 
:::
 
 
Lessons in Shinobi Love
 
By: Melissa Norvell a.k.a. Oneesan no Miroku Houshi
 
Chapter 12: To Surpass
 
:::
 
They all stood there as the lesson in climbing trees was explained to them. The first to try the lesson out was Naruto, who immediately fell on his back.
 
`Figures that Naruto would be the first to fail…as always.' Sakura made an annoyed face at Naruto's attempt to show off.
 
After Kakashi released them for training, the pink haired kunoichi began to practice the exercise, building up her chakra and beginning to scale the tree to the top. After a couple of failures, she quickly realized her mistakes and what she needed to do to correct them and far surpassed Naruto and Sasuke.
 
`Sasuke's going to be so proud of me!' Sakura thought to herself.
 
“Well, we see who has the best control of their chakras, our young lady.” Kakashi complimented.
 
“Incredible! You go Sakura! That's my girl!” Naruto yelled.
 
The kunoichi's head went down. “I wanted to impress Sasuke and the only one who cared was Naruto…And Kakashi-sensei…” She looked over to her teacher, who was speaking to Naruto and Sasuke.
 
“Kakashi-sensei how could you!?” She yelled. `Sasuke's going to hate me now…'
 
 
**
 
Training that day had been harsh. It was the same repetitive thing over and over, climb the tree and try to see how high you could get, then try to beat that mark and the next and the next.
 
The pink haired kunoichi lay at the bottom of the tree trunk, looking worn out and tired. Breath heavy and a thin layer of sweat clung to her flesh. Her pink locks were disheveled and she felt hot and sticky.
 
She closed her eyes for a few moments, finding some rest. `I'm exhausted. The boys have so much stamina.' She thought, looking at Naruto and Sasuke's progress. `But Naruto hasn't improved one bit. Now he'll probably have a tantrum and quit.'
 
“Dang it!” She heard Naruto spit out as he began walking over to her. She sat up and internally laughed to herself. “I knew it! He's so predictable.”
 
“Hey Sakura. Could you help me get the hang of this?” The kunoichi looked over to him, a confused expression written on her face. Now this was something that she wasn't expecting.
 
“Huh?”
 
 
**
 
After teaching instructing Naruto on how she had accomplished the exercise so quickly, she decided to rest up before receiving more orders from Kakashi.
 
As Sakura rested, Kakashi walked down the tree and over to his student, who looked tired on the ground. Green orbs widened upon seeing her teacher.
 
“Oh, Kakashi-sensei.” The girl replied, looking up at him. “Is there something you wanted?”
 
“You did an excellent job out there, Sakura. You're chakra control is definitely the best of the group.”
 
“Thank you.” The girl smiled. “How are your injuries coming along? Are they healing any faster?”
 
“They're coming along nicely. Thank you, Sakura.”
 
“You're welcome, besides without you, we'd all be dead.”
 
“But you all saved me when Zabuza had me entrapped in his water jutsu.” Kakashi stated. “So I owe you my life.”
 
“Guess we're even then huh?” The pink haired girl stuck out her tongue playfully.
 
Her teacher produced his happy anime eye in response. “Well, that's a good way of looking at it.”
 
“So what did you want?”
 
“To tell you that you're done with your training here. You should go to the bridge and guard Tazuna, just incase something happens there.”
 
“Will do!” She smiled.
 
 
**
 
At the bridge, Sakura yawned, utterly bored with watching the workers and Tazuna build on the bridge, listening to the sound of the workers, then she heard Tazuna speak up.
 
“Where are blondie and pretty-boy?”
 
I surpassed them. Kakashi-sensei told me to stay and protect you.” She looked rather proud of herself for that.
 
“Really?”
 
A third voice came in and interrupted the conversation. Sakura remained quit and listen to Tazuna and one of his men discuss whether the bridge is worth it or not.
 
After that the two of them walked through town. Sakura ended up beating up some pervert who touched her inappropriately. She was complimented by Tazuna on her ability to beat someone up. She noticed that there was hardly anything in the stores and there were a lot of people begging, even children. It disheartened her to see a town living in such oppression and poverty.
 
Later on, everyone was enjoying dinner at Tsunami's house. Naruto and Sasuke stuffing their faces. Tazuna began to mention Inari's father figure and Tsunami got angry with him about mentioning the subject. This started a conversation on the true hero of the village. Sakura felt sorry for Inari for going through such an ordeal.
 
A time later, Naruto and Sasuke still haven't returned to Tazuna's, so Sakura and Kakashi headed off to find them. They later found Naruto lying on a tree branch high above them. They both looked up at the blonde.
 
“Well! Well! Did you see? Look at how high I can go!” He shouted.
 
“Naruto can climb all that way?” Sakura's face lit up in amazement.
 
Until Naruto began to fall off of the branch.
 
“You idiot!” She screamed.
 
“No. If he falls from that height…” Kakashi started, then the girl beside him screamed.
 
But then his feet stuck to the bottom of the tree branch. “Psych! Hah gotacha suckers!!”
 
The two below made exasperated face.
 
“You…You almost gave me a heart attack!” Sakura yelled at him. `I'm gonna kill you for this later!'
 
Then he feet became unstuck and the horror-ridden faces returned to their hosts, but then Sasuke caught his ankle and they returned to relieved ones.
 
“YES! Sasuke saves the day! He gives me the shivers!” Sakura complimented, but noted how her heart seemed to feel hollow on that subject.
 
Why was that so? She used to enjoy giving Sasuke compliments and it used to make her feel as if she were doing something good. Now that she gave him compliments, part of her wanted to doubt that.
 
**
 
Sakura was seated, she could feel the movement underneath her going up and down slowly as her sensei, who was her chair at the moment did push ups on one finger.
 
He and Tazuna seemed to be having a conversation, but she was fading in and out on her own whims. She kept mulling over and over again in her mind the events of earlier that day.
 
Something weird was going on here, and not just with her. Viridian eyes went to her teacher below.
 
Why did she feel so empty about Sasuke now?
 
“I can't be easy on you, but I can show you that there is more to life then Sasuke.”
 
That sentence seemed to resurface from the depths of her memory. Was he inadvertently teaching her not to gush over Sasuke so much? She blinked. No. She just couldn't get over Sasuke! He was the love of her life…
 
Or was he?
 
Wait! Why was she even questioning that? There's no way that anyone else could be better for her! Her love was strong! She loved him ever since they were young; she even gave up her friendship with Ino to become her rival so she could one day win over her.
 
She had sacrificed so much, and put up with his constant put downs so that she could work herself to one day being worthy in his eyes, or at least enough to make him like her.
 
But oddly enough, she felt hollow when thinking about it. Like all her sacrifices meant nothing.
 
“True Shinobi do not merely dance to the tune of whoever plays the piper.” She heard Kakashi say, ending his conversation with Tazuna.
 
She blinked. What an odd time to hear that statement…
 
 
TBC
 
 
A/N: Well, I wrote six pages. Sorry about not updating. I went through a lot of stuff last weekend and wasn't able to get anything done and I went somewhere the weekend before. I'm updating this story every two weeks to avoid any more things like this.
 
Please review and tell me what you think.