Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Life Is Wicked ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Prologue
 
The fire had been raging for days, the water-nins unable to put it out. Today they had, but it had been much too late for some of the people, ninja or no, in the area.
 
Neji's eyes wandered, yet he couldn't find the one that he was looking for. He hoped desperately that Hirashi hadn't died in the fire; the branch house teenager that had been like a sister to him for his whole life was too dear to him for him to just let himself believe that she had met her end in that way.
 
Suddenly, his eyes stopped roving. Running over to a hollow in the burned-down building, the Hyuuga clan's strongest ninja member dragged out the almost-lifeless yet unburned form of Hirashi Hyuuga. Gently shaking the teen by her shoulders, Neji whispered with tears in his pupilless eyes, “Answer me, Hirashi. Please answer me.”
 
The girl's lavender eyes opened slowly, a moan escaping her lips when she saw Neji. “Hey, Neji,” she whispered. “You shouldn't have...come looking for me...” Her eyes closed weakly, and Neji had to lean in close to hear her next words. “But since you did...I want you to have this...” Neji's almost-girlfriend turned her head feebly, raised her right wrist, and pulled off the hair tie that was on it with her teeth. She handed it to the male teen and sniffled almost imperceptibly. The Hyuuga prodigy felt her chakra points weaken and slow, and he knew that the girl he loved wouldn't last long.
 
“Thank you for your lucky hair tie,” Neji murmured, his eyes overflowing with previously unshed tears. “I...I'll always remember you, Hirashi. No matter...what.” His voice cracked on the last sentence for one reason. Hirashi Hyuuga was dead.