Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Life Without Her ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Less than two months after the "attack" on the company's office, it became clear that the Akatsuki were finished as an organization. Their leadership was in jail awaiting trial, and their former subordinates had formed splinter groups that were now fighting for territory. It would take a while to round everyone up, but it seemed the people would no longer have to live in fear.

Not that this had anything to do with Naruto these days. He'd been formally relieved of his security post, which Kakashi saw fit to abolish since it was no longer needed. Naruto was now fully back at his old job, which was just as well. He liked that things were back to normal.

His sixth anniversary would be in a few days, and he already had arrangements to take that day off. Like last year, he really didn't have anything planned for the day. He really didn't care for plans; he'd rather just act.

After work, Naruto went to his usual spot for dinner, but afterward he went to a bar to get a drink. On his way home, he ran into Sasuke.

"Geez, Naruto," said Sasuke, "how much did you have to drink?"

"I'm not as think as you drunk I am!" replied Naruto.

"How about you stay at my place, until you sober up? Besides, I could use the company."

Once at Sasuke's place, Naruto sat down on the nearest chair.

"I think I did overdo it," Naruto said. "Hey, may I watch some TV?"

"Sure," said Sasuke, "as long as you don't order any Pay-Per-View."

"Like I'd waste my money on that!"

After channel surfing for a few minutes, Naruto came across a new special about the rise and fall of the Akatsuki. Much of it consisted of footage never before seen outside the organization. Occasionally, he saw a man who looked remarkably like Sasuke. He had no doubt this was Itachi. There were also filmed executions of traitors and police informants, no doubt as an example to would-be betrayers.

Naruto was shocked to hear that some of the organization's members committed mass suicide rather than surrender to the authorities. Some of them decided instead to go down in a final shootout.

By the time the show ended, he was more or less ready to quit watching it.

"Yo, Sasuke," said Naruto, "I notice you have a Wii! You up for some Smash Bros.?"

"Sure," said Sasuke.

They played for nearly two hours, with Sasuke winning nearly three quarters of their matches. Finally, though Naruto decided it was time for him to head home.

"Next time I need someplace to crash," said Naruto, "I'll be sure to call you."

"Uh, yeah," replied Sasuke, "don't get used to it."

Naruto went home and went to bed, no longer feeling the effects of his visit to the bar.

The next few days went by without incident, and finally it was Naruto's anniversary. He couldn't really decide what to do. He though maybe this year he would just go ahead and spend the day at home. He was still running ideas through his head when the phone rang. He went and picked it up.

"Hello. Is this Naruto Uzumaki?" said the voice on the other end.

"Yeah, it's me," Naruto replied.

"I'm calling from the police station. We found your wife a few hours ago, and we now have her with us. If you can come over..."

"Are you kidding? I'll be right there!" Naruto hung up the phone, got ready, and ran out the door.