Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Lily in the Snowfield ❯ Lily in the Snowfields ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Lily in the Snowfields
 
 
Sasuke wandered out through the Kohona gates. Taking turns down winding paths- not really knowing consciously where he was going.
 
I know I can be a little stubborn sometimes
I must say, a little righteous and too proud
 
`Love. The word is meaningless, for it cannot come close to describe the feeling accurately. No where close. There is no word to describe the devotion and need you feel towards someone you love. Your craving… addiction to be `loved' back.'
 
I just want to find a way to compromise
'Cause I believe that we can work things out
 
`And there is absolutely no word to describe the pain you feel when it is ripped away from you. Dragged away…'
 
I thought I had all the answers
Never giving in
 
`Let me tell you that falling in love is almost not worth the pain and emptiness you feel when it's gone. Almost.'
 
But baby I was wrong
I admit that I was wrong
 
`Sunset had always been Naruto's favorite time of day. Every shade of color and every ray of light knew its part. Fit perfectly into place. It made you forget everything that was not right in front of your eyes. You could be anyone you wanted to be at that moment it didn't matter. Everything was perfect.'
 
All I know is I'm lost without you
I'm not gonna lie
 
*`Sakura enjoyed the sunrise. The calm before the day's excitement. When you thought over everything you had to accomplish that day- knowing that you'd only accomplish half of that. It was a fresh start.'
 
How am I gonna be strong without you
I need you by my side
 
`Myself- on the other hand, had enjoyed the night. Night hides you from everyone else. You can pretend that everyone else in the world… everything, isn't there. Or rather that it doesn't exist. I had never much liked the heat of high noon anyways. Heat was bothersome… it made you sticky and annoyed, and made it almost impossible to get any work done at times.'
 
And if we ever said we'll never be together
and we ended it with goodbye
 
`I was always timid, and Naruto was the only one who could tell. To everyone else I was cold, apathetic… but I was just scared. I can admit this now… I fought with all my heart to be strong- and was successful. I was strong, but I was also withering, whimpering, and almost desperate in my mind. You may laugh at me, but it was true. I couldn't cry out though, because that was weakness. I killed himself in my mind every night, but asking for help? No, that was the weakness.'
 
I don't know what I'd do
You know I've been lost without you
 
`Then there was Naruto. He always had arrogance. Only at the very end of the run did I notice that Naruto only craved attention because he had always had very little of it. He acted loud and stupid for people to look at him. So that he didn't disappear… and the dobe had actually been a very smart intellectual. Observant, would be the proper way to describe it. He could notice even the most slurred good in everyone's heart. Sasuke had grown a grudging respect for him over the years.'
 
I keep trying to find my way
but all I know is
I
'm lost without you
`Naruto always took it upon himself to straighten a person out though. When they where self-doubting, self-hating or self-abusing… Naruto had always seen himself in there eyes and eventually everyone warmed up to him. That was Naruto's inner reward for the joy he spread.'
 
I keep trying to face the day
I'm lost without you
 
`But Naruto's love and devotion to his friends was also his weakness. His devotion to me… *we had become lovers only a few short weeks before…'
 
How am I ever gonna get rid of these blues?
Baby i'm so lonely all the time
 
`There was a mission.'
 
Everywhere I go I get so confused
You know that you're the only thing that's on my mind
 
`Naruto's good heart had brought him on a mission to help a neighboring village. He was told that there where some minor thieves pillaging at night, sometimes taking village girls with them. They had specifically asked for Naruto (Which was nothing surprising considering how Naruto had done many missions concerning the village). Everything was planned. Everything was supposed to be perfect, damn it!'
 
Oh my bed's so cold at night
I miss you more each day
 
`But the Kohona Ninja had tussled there way into a trap. Looking back on it seems like it had been printed in bold permanent marker. We where so clueless...'
 
Only you can make it right
No I'm not too proud to say
 
`Naruto… My light. They stole it away from me and left me aimless in the dark.'
 
All I know is I'm lost without you
I'm not gonna lie
 
`Naruto had put up a fight. Struggled. Tried to warn us all even though it was too late. Naruto was on one side of the village, me and everyone else on the other. We knew nothing!'
 
How am I gonna be strong without you
I need you by my side
 
`I sat on the board of the fence. It was cold that night…'
 
***************************************************************** *****************************
 
Sasuke glared out into the cold forest. Black leaves entangled themselves looking eerily like faces. And it was so quite. Oh so quite…
 
If we ever said we'll never be together
and we ended with goodbye
 
His post was long. It wouldn't be till three AM that he got off and he had been on since seven that morning. But he was shinobi- he was trained for things like this.
 
But around midnight things started to feel terribly wrong. That creepy feeling you get down your spine when you feel like someone's standing behind you. The anxious twitching you get when watching a horror movie. And the faces in the tree seemed even more real. But of course they weren't. I just tugged my poncho closer to me.
 
I don't know what I'd do
You know I've been lost without you
 
Around 12:10 I burst out in tears. Great grief just suddenly overcame me. I couldn't understand it. It was as if I was trapped in a barred cage- vomiting and feverish, frustrated and grieving. It was Embaressing. I tried to hide it.
 
I keep trying to find my way
And all I know is
I'm lost without you
 
At first the sobs where subdued, but my fellow shinobi soon notice and pushed me off post to get something to drink. They where highly confused… and so was I, but not knowing what else to do. I went…
 
I keep trying to face the day
I'm lost without you
 
And then I returned to my post with that horrible feeling. And I stayed until my given time to leave, spite the words fro people around me proclaiming I looked ill. I should've sensed it was Naruto screaming for me… his chakra calling out to me. I should've know... He trusted I would come to his aid… But I didn't even hear him… Heh- what kind of lover does that.
 
If I could only hold you now
 
They found Naruto's body the next day, on the outskirts of the village. Broken and bled in the large field about a few yards from the village gate and a bit over to the left. Apparently he had managed to take out most of the gang on his own. But the last few got to him… the ground was littered with enemies bodies.
 
Make the pain just go away
 
Nothing could explain the feeling in my heart when I saw him… I turned to vomit and let no one assist. Some would say I vomited because of the color Naruto's flesh had turned… but it was the feeling
 
Can't stop the tears from running down my face
 
That day was the first snowfall of the year. I remember that as clear as glass.
 
Oh
 
Naruto Had died at 12:10 that morning. Alone.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
`I escorted the body back to Kohona, shamefully. I couldn't protect him… and I had to inform Sakura, Iruka and Kakashi… *Sakura sobbed while trying to throw pathetic punches at my chest. Iruka cried himself infront of me. But the worst was Kakashi, he just stared at my- straight through me. I immediately left- and didn't see any of them before Naruto's funeral…and what a funeral it was. Lillies were everywhere even though they where so hard to find this time of year… Practically everyone had come too… even Gaara had come to pay his respects. …and without his guidance I wandered in the dark without the lamp. And now my wandering has left me here…'
 
All I know is I'm lost without you
I'm not gonna lie
How am I gonna be strong without you
I need you by my side
 
Sasuke glanced where the path ended and he glanced at the small metallic looking gravestone.
 
If we ever said we'll never be together
and we ended with goodbye
 
“My friend… my lover Naruto… I'll see you again…”
 
I don't know what I'd do
 
He placed the lily solemnly on the grave as a breeze blew by carrying the new warmth of spring. Sasuke smiled at the grave and silently bowed.
 
You know I've been lost without you
 
“Thanks Dobe.” He whispered to the wind.
 
Fin
 
Thankyou, please review.
 
 
*I don't know why I included a description including Sakura here. It just felt right…
 
*I think I'll make a side story as to how they became lovers… I was lazy.
 
*The team doesn't HATE Sasuke. But Sasuke seems to think they do in this fanfic.