Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Quicksand ❯ Quicksand ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Some people say that love is like drowning in an ocean, but Iruka would compare it to sinking in quicksand.
 
He hadn't noticed when he had started falling in love with the jounin, but had had. It had been a gradual process, then when he had noticed it had been too late to get out and walk away. Just like quicksand, it sucked you in so slowly you didn't notice you were sinking until it was too late.
 
By the time Iruka noticed how he felt towards Hatake Kakashi, he couldn't escape, the sand was holding him firmly in place, and he had been unable to protest as he was engulfed with the substance.
 
So he was stuck under the surface forever, loving the silver hair mismatched eyes that he had begun to believe would never be his. Yes, love was like quicksand, it snuck up on you and left you to die.
 
Comparing his love to quicksand was a good comparison, for Iruka later thought that Kakashi's kisses where like drowning in an ocean. They were sudden and left him breathless, yearning for air, and yet wishing he didn't need it. Just like the ocean, it was beautiful and dangerous, willing to suck you down and never see the light of day again, and Iruka, being a dolphin didn't mind at all…even if he needed air to live.
 
As time progressed, Kakashi became his air. He needed Kakashi to come back to him; he needed the other shinobi's presence. If Kakashi left then he would suffocate, he would die and cease to exist in a hateful place that offered him no salvation…no oxygen.
 
For Kakashi, falling for Iruka had been like being struck by lightening. It had been sudden and completely unexpected.
 
It had been over the littlest thing too. It had happened when the man had bandaged a little girl's knee that had been scrapped. His kindness and the way him smile lit up his surroundings had struck the ex-ANBU, and he and fallen in an instant, like being struck by lightening, fast, all the feelings coming at him all at once.
 
 
Iruka's kisses and little gestures where Kakashi's substance, without them he would starve and deteriorate back in to whatever it was he had been before. A machine, fit only for killing.
 
The sensei's smiles and kindness were Kakashi's light. They always led him back to Konoha, back to that same small wooden door with the same apartment number on it.
 
They lit up his life and lit him see everything as if for the first time, as if he had been living in the dark for the first 26 years of his life.
 
Without his Chunnin, he would have nothing to guide him back, his village, or come back to.
 
After four yours in the relationship, Iruka was his everything. Iruka was his world, his universe. Without him Kakashi as everyone knew him would disappear. Without Iruka, Kakashi would have no soul. He needed to see Iruka every morning, curled up to him. He needed to kiss those soft lips, and suck in that hot skin. He needed to love Iruka, mentally and physically.