Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Reflection ❯ Speak of the devil ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Reflection
 
 
Chapter 1: Speak of the devil
 
 
DISCLAIMERS: I do not own anything related to the anime or manga “Naruto”, other than my self created ones.
 
 
“Ting ling,” went the bell. The busy receptionist was sorting out some paper work at that time. “Welcome!” she hollered out, without taking her eyes off the papers. The postman smiled, as he knocked on her table. “Hey, it's me.” The frantic lifted up her head, “Oh it's you. What wind blows you here today? Any beverages for you? Urage has taken leave and now it's left with me. So, it's a little too busy for me these few days.” She replied, as she took a sip from her cup. “It's still working hours now, guess someone hardworking like me can't skive, right?” he grinned, putting on an `I-shall-not-skive' front, when he really wanted to.
 
“I came to deliver a parcel addressed to you.” He broke the sound of the ruffling of papers. “Oh…?” the surprised one exclaimed. “Here, sign this.” He said as he handed out a piece of receipt and a pen. She grabbed the pen as the ink flowed smoothly on the paper. Deep in her mind, she was wondering who could have sent her such a parcel. “So I guess its goodbye. Got to get back to work. Bye!” he ended, as he bid his leaving. On top of the parcel was a letter glued to it. It says, “TO, MISS…” It was for her. It didn't state who it was from. Leaving her paper work aside, she hurriedly tore the white evelope and opened it.
 
The letter slid down her fingers, too taken aback from the news. She then hurriedly remembered the big parcel along with the tightly sealed envelope which was neglected on the cold floor. On the big parcel, which the postman just delivered a minute ago, had a note which says `FRAGILE, PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE.' with such familiar handwriting. Could it be..?
 
 
4 years ago…
 
She stared at her nanny, bewildered, “What? But why...?” she asked, as she frowned, wondering why her nanny would always want to sing a different tune from her. Her nanny slowly approached, as she slid her hand out from the motherly apron, to reach for the teen's head, and rested a pat. “Some day you would know, it's all for your own benefit. Just bear with it for a while, Mynri,” the mid-thirties paused, breaking the eye contact, as tears slowly got their way up.
 
“Oh! Would you stop treating me like a child?!” she argued, shaking away from the pat, the old, wrinkled and rough hand that been through many labor. “I'm already 18! I'm not that kid whom you used to spoon-feed anymore! I can stand on my own already. You should jolly well know that no one can stop me from doing the things I desire.” She paused, as if gasping for air, after saying such strong words that stood for her stand. “And same goes for you.” She ended, narrowing her eyes, with those last few words still tangling in the room. Mynri is just the kind who would just speak her mind. There's no need to hide anything, if that was what you really felt. Without a slight hesitation, she would just blurt out all those nasty remarks, even without thinking.
 
And this could be quite irritating, at times. When Mynri was in the Ninja Academy School, she got into a fight because she said that her classmate was stupid when she missed the shot, when she did, perfectly. Maybe that's a little too critic of her, but, she, was quite a smart chap, and maybe that's the reason for the cockiness in her today. She graduated at the age of 6, and took the Chuunin exam at the age of 7. However, in the middle of the Chuunin exam, she backed out due to some personal reasons. Although she was smart, she was lazy. Without fail, she would fall asleep during written exams, hence, pulling her grades down. Her nanny, Zani, would then have to plead with the principal to keep her in. Then, one year, during her final year exam, she topped the whole school, even the whole country, and beating the past records too. Mynri is actually a genius, but due to her lazy attitude, she usually flunks her exams, and Zani, has to go to school and beg the principal not to expel her. Once, she even had to go on her knees, and the principal gave Mynri another chance, but it was the last one. And Mynri did the school proud in the end.
 
Somehow, after those words parted, there was a dead silence in the room. Those words were just like needles, poking through her nanny's heart, and it really pained her to see the state Mynri is in now; a spoilt brat. But, she had foreseen such a day, for she had spoilt her too much, always giving her the things she wanted, and letting her have her way all the time. She felt that she had let her best friend down. It was her last wish after all, but yet, she could not fulfill it. She felt so useless.
 
Mynri, upon seeing those tears flow down the edge of her face, felt a stroke of uneasiness. She then slowly approached her nanny, wanting to say some `oh-forgive-me' words. “I'm sorry Mynri. I shouldn't have spoilt you over these years. I shouldn't have,” her nanny stole her line as she left the room.
 
(Flashback)
It was a quiet night. All seemed so calm. But somehow, it seemed too quiet and calm. Normally during these hours, the Rantos would be squabbling about trivial stuff and siblings fighting over toys. Then the two adults would be drawn into the picture and solve the dispute. On the contrary, today was very different. Even the dropping of a coin could be heard. Something was wrong, very wrong that is. The little Mynri and her brother stood in the secret underground room as told.
 
“Why do you think we were told to stay here?” he asked, feigning ignorance, pining to leave the stuffy room. The little Mynri was only 5 then, but she was considered slightly mature compared to any 5 year old kid. Perhaps it's due to the influence of her older brother. She was close to her brother, in the family, only her brother doted on her. Her parents usually treated her like a maid or something, always bossing her around. But her mother wasn't so bad, she was just under the orders of her father. And whenever her father wasn't around at home, her mother would explain to her that her father didn't mean it and stuff like that. “Hmm…I'm not sure, but since they told us to stay here, we should,” she said, hands gripping onto a pillow. “Hmm…I'm bored. Rin, tell me a story,” she whined.
 
“Okay. Long long time ago, there lived this beautiful princess, and many lords wanted to marry her. But she didn't want to marry any of those corrupt lords; for fear that the country would land in bad hands, for the one who wins her hand is the one who would rule the country. But one day, she was forced to marry when her father died. But he set out a rule for those who came for her hand before he died. That is to open three different boxes, a gold one, a silver one, and a bronze one. And if you get the box with a portrait of the princess inside, you shall be the one who marries her. But if you should get the wrong box, you shall remain single for the rest of your life and not reveal which box you open to anyone.”
 
“Then, there was this wealthy merchant who came to the town to win her hand. He seemed quite sincere though. He then greeted the princess and she told him the rule. Many lords came and left disappointed, for all chose the wrong box. And this wealthy merchant was no exception, he chose the gold box and left thwarted. “Luckily he chose the wrong box. I wouldn't want someone as lechous as him!” she whispered to the maid heaving a sigh of relief. Then there came a rich trader, again, the princess told him the rule her father set and the trader accepted it. He turned to the silver box and opened it. Again, he left. “Thank god he opened the wrong box. I definitely wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with such a materialistic person,” she mumbled to her maid as she nodded and next came a civilian…”
 
“Shhh…” Mynri signaled, cupping his mouth as she pointed upwards. There were footsteps. They were light, but apparently, they had weapons that gave them away. Those were highly skilled ninjas, and they were hunting for the rest of their family; which currently when into hiding. She slowly and quietly removed her hand as the footsteps faded. Her brother actually knew what was going on, but for fear that it would scare his little sister, he'd rather not. Now what he's worrying is that, are their parents still alive? Knowing very well that they left the house, he spoke again. He then revealed the truth of what is going on to his sister. She was shocked, but back to her senses quickly. The most pushing task is to get out of the place safely, others can wait.
 
But she couldn't withhold her curiosity. It had a reason for existing. “Rin, can I ask you something?” she asked, plucking courage. “If it's something regarding this whole thing, I can tell you Mynri, even I don't know what's really going on. I only know bits and pieces of it.” She sulked, as they cautiously sneaked into the hall, pushing the lid aside. The hall was empty, but stained with blood. It was pouring heavily; flashes of lightning scared the wits out of Mynri as she hid behind her brother. It just states how long they had been hiding till now.
(Flashback)
 
But, hey, actually it wasn't my fault, right? Or was it? She sighed in confusion as she stroked her copper red locks, and headed for the main door. She had always loved the smell of nature, especially at night. Unlike many, she would love to take strolls alone in the wee hours along the forest, just like what she's doing now. But, her nanny forbade her to do so. She slid her hands into her pockets and inhaled the cool, refreshing air. The reason why she didn't like to take strolls in the morning is because it's too noisy, and the air's warm, further more; her nanny didn't allow her to do so. Oh well, since I'm already here; why not go check it out? She plastered a smirk over her face at the thought of it. When she was little, she sneaked into the forest and planted a Japanese Cherry tree. However, her nanny seemed to have gotten wind of it and forbidden her to go to the forest since then. Her plant, or rather, tree, should at least bear some flowers by now, but judging from her many unattended years, she'd guessed not. Maybe it withered, or maybe, it did not sprout at all.
 
This tree wasn't just like any other ordinary tree. It was a Cherry tree. It was a tree that stood out from the crowd, just like a thorn out of the roses. She and her brother, her only sibling, planted this tree together. But, sadly, her brother was separated from her when she was small. She was told by her nanny that he, her brother was captured and never returned again. It was really sad, for she wasn't loved or wanted in the family except by her brother. In the past, girls were despised, and boys were wanted and looked upon. They felt that girls are nothing but a burden, whereas boys are the honor of the family. Girls are often seen as loafers who sponge on the family, and leave the family when married; just like discarded water. But boys get a different treatment; they are being shone upon as the descendant of the family, and would carry on the family line in future. In poorer families, when they can't afford to feed so many mouths of their children, they either sell their daughters away to the coastline as slaves or maids, or abandon their daughters. In short, boys are much better treated than girls.
 
“Finally, after such a long walk!” she exclaimed, upon seeing the red marking she made years ago. The forest ground was interlocked with the tall and bulky trees that stood upright, just like the gate. And, inside was the plant which she and her brother grew. She brushed the falling big leaves that blocked her view aside as she made a landing to the dried leaves on the earth, making a cracking noise, which she haven't heard for years, and which, made her recollect many sweet memories.
 
Then, snowflakes were released. One by one, they landed on the earth, covering it with a layer of soft fluffy whites.
 
 
Sorry, Mynri, I can't tell you the truth just yet, or you'll hate me for doing so. The rugged nanny pondered over her words, as she switched the Google box off. She sighed, as she poured a glass of water, the past coming back to her.
 
(Flashback)
“Hey, see that guy?” she pointed, “He's so cute!” she exclaimed. “That's infatuation, Chyon-chan.” Zani cried out. They stood at the stairs like two idiots as the cute guy walked past them. “Oww, he's gone.” Chyon whined.
(Flashback)
 
“I guess it's not the time yet,” she muttered, gazing out the window as the snowflakes fell for the ground.
 
 
 
“Oh, so it's there! Geez, it's a tree now! Hah!” The teen exclaimed excitedly, upon seeing the upright tree decorated with pink dots, with her palms rubbing her arms, keeping herself warm. Oh, I left the house in a huff and forgot my coat, how careless could I be? But, then again, who took care of this for me during my absence? Could it be…him? Has he returned? It as been years and I haven't got any news of him, yet. Mynri rubbed her arms again. “Geez, why is it snowing?” she muttered, half shivering as she leaned back against the trunk of the cherry tree. She then whipped out a book, slowly and attentively, she penned, as she gazed upon those stars in between. The stars were as if smiling back to her, with those shimmering shines of theirs.
 
 
Thud.
 
Thud.
 
Thud.
 
Okay, that should be the end, shall call it a night. Mou, it's snowing... He walked towards the tree and retrieved his kunai as he kept it in his pouch. The light silver haired slid his hands into his pockets as he continued walking. What a peaceful night. Wonder if I'm the only one here. He pondered as he turned to look at the moon. The loner turned to the forest ground, where he saw a figure there. But due to the slight mist and the falling of snowflakes, it wasn't so clear and it disrupted his visibility. He then approached the figure, noting that it's a girl. Shoving the leaves away, he walked silently. He frowned slightly, appalled to see her familiar hair color.
 
“What's a girl like you doing here in the middle of the night?” he asked, with that lazy left eye of his. The light silvered wore a mask, and his forehead protector tilted, covering his right eye. In another words, only his left eye could be seen. There was dead silence for quite a long time, as the flakes traveled in between them and the wind blew it to its destination. She titled slightly, getting her eyes off the stars and took a quick glance at where the voice came from. “Then what's a guy like you doing here?” she rebutted, eyes returning to the sky of stars. “Heh, but it's different. You're a girl, I'm a guy!” the light silvered exclaimed, as he approached. She hated this kind of talking, discriminating girls. “It's dangerous you know.” His left eye winced, “Yo, are you ignoring me?” he then bend down to where she was sitting, as he gestured a `hello' sign. But still, she ignored such a pesky guy like him. “Heh, none of your business,” she shot him down coldly as she got up from the patch of grass where she once sat.
 
“Hey, hey, wait! I don't mean any harm! I'm just…just...bored!” he retorted, trying to find a more logical reason, but found no avail. “Hah. But try harder next time. That's a lousy excuse,” brushing him off, she walked ahead. “Matte!” he hollered, and appeared in front of her. Mynri raised an eye brow, in awe of the speed the young man who was ducked in a jounin suit, with a red swirl at the back was able to move at. “I've been roaming around this forest everyday around this time, but I've never seen you around before.” He continued. “Oh well, now you've seen me.” She replied, with her palms rubbing against her arms. “Ma…you don't really seem to stand the cold, ne?” he said, walking next to her, with his usual lazy eye. “Oh, I believe I haven't got your name yet.” He asked, as if missing a very important detail. “Is that important?” she asked, irritated. “Well, for such a pretty babe, yes.” “Well then, I shall tell you that I, Raku Ayuumi, don't go for flattery,” she shot him down, staring.
 
“Heh, then I shall tell you that I, Hatake Kakashi, the infamous Copy ninja, who took the Chuunin exam at 6, do not just flatter anyone,” he retorted, still, with his lazy eye. She let out a small chuckle, amused at his name. “Kakashi? Which is scarecrow right! Hahahahaha…” The mask fidgeted, apparent that he pouted slightly. “Ma…You haven't state why you're here,” he asked, changing the subject quickly.
 
“None of your business.” She smirked, but somehow, worrying whether her nanny has discovered her absence. “Don't you have something else to do?” she stared, and then remembering the green bulky jacket he was wearing, she continued, “Like practice your jutsu or something?” All these while, he wasn't listening to her words, but rather, staring at her. He had never taken his eyes, or rather, eye, off her features since his last sentence parted. It just reminds him of someone, someone very dear to him. She also had the same hair color as her. Her hazel eyes, that hair, and the voice. But the tone used was a huge margin. He had found many possibilities to delude himself into having some hope that she was still alive over these years. But, after so many years, he gave up.
 
“Next time.” She parted, before Hatake could even find the words to fill in. He was too mesmerized by her indistinguishable features; it was as if she was a clone of her. She then left in a flash, leaping on tree branches to get home soon, as he watched her figure fading away with the snow. “Why did you take her away and then bring her back again?!” he rebuked heaven, hollering, as the tiny snowflakes reached his mask. It was a sad story. It was something he couldn't accept, but was forced to.
 
 
Gosh, it's so late already. Let's just pray that Zani is still sleeping. She crept in, dotted with white spots. “Mynri, what are you doing? Where have you been?” the furious, yet concerning voice entered as the table lamp on the hall table flicked and the whole hall was bright once again. She was caught. “Young lady, you are grounded!” Silently, she cursed Hatake under her breath. She was being grounded for 2 weeks; two whole weeks.
 
It just sets her mind to thinking. Why is her nanny so protective of her? She isn't the young girl who could only scream for help anymore, she could fight for her own. Besides, she's a ninja who can already protect herself, and her nanny, if needed. For all these years, her nanny was very paranoid about every single thing, especially things concerning her. She had never gotten her eyes off her, she wanted to monitor her every move. She didn't want anything to go wrong; neither did she want her to get into any trouble. But she always did.
 
Her nanny sacrificed a lot for her; that includes her life long happiness too. But she had always placed others in front of her; she couldn't bear to let her best friend down, much less to say the love for Mynri as her daughter too. The chance came to her long before, but she declined it. She had too many things at hand, the schedule was tight, and there was no time for that. But she had feelings for him. However, he was married four years later and became hokage. Yes, he is the ever respectable fourth hokage, who was also once the principal of Mynri's school.
 
Mynri had been grounded for 14 good days. If only she could see Hatake and give him a good bashing; she needed a good wholesome punching bag now. Her nanny has instructed her to buy some groceries to replenish the stock in the fridge. “Oh great, now I'm grounded. How am I going to pass my remaining days? Geez, I'll be bored to death,” she muttered to herself, as she paid for the groceries. She blamed Hatake repeatedly, cursing and swearing him. I swear, if I could bump into the #@$%(intense vulgar language) Hatake here in the streets, I'll give him a good bashing. True enough, it was speak of the devil.
 
“Yo Raku-san!” a familiar voice called out, with a pat on her shoulder. She titled her head back, and smirked. Today is your unlucky day, meet your doom! “Don't do that, its bad luck.” Finished, she shoved his hand away, dusting the patch where he laid his hand seconds ago. “Ma…superstitious, aren't you?” she chose to ignore him. “So, how have you been?” Heh, how have I been?! Good question! “I'm very good, thank you for you concern.” She added sarcastically, as she walked down the streets, carrying the bulky basket. He curved his eye, “Care for a walk with me?” Her smirk plastered on her face slowly dropped, she could sense the loneliness of longing for one's loved one to be reunited once again. It was the same feeling, the feeling she felt when her brother was gone. It has already been many years, but her brother still remained in her memories. It was still fresh.
 
 
Okay, my first chapter ends here, hope you people liked it! Comments please! Thankew!