Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine
 
Chapter 12
 
 
Hiro re-read the letter again. He'd read the thing so many times since Hedwig had brought it that the parchment was well creased and the ink already fading. But it was the last news he would have of his parents' world for a long time. He hadn't even noticed the slip of parchment attached to Hedwig's leg when she'd first arrived, he'd been too happy to have his first friend back with him to check. He hadn't even thought about the possibility of her carrying a message until later that night and had been happy to find Moonys' letter. Out of everyone in the Outside he missed the remaining Marauder the most. Remus was his last link to Sirius and his parents and despite being fairly reliant on Dumbledore the werewolf had at least never lied to him.
 
With a bot of distance, okay a lot of distance since he was several continents away, he had finally looked over his various relationships and come to several disappointing conclusions. One, Ron was a jealous glory hound who stayed with him when things were good but always became intensely jealous when Harry received more attention like in fourth year. As for Hermione she was far to trusting when it came to those in authority. There were things he'd told her and only her that Dumbledore knew meaning he couldn't trust her with any information, wether or not she had been a willing informant or not. It was possible that Dumbledore had simply found the information in her thoughts but he couldn't take the chance. As for the headmaster himself he was far too manipulative for anyone's good. From what he had learnt about Tom's time at Hogwarts Albus had to at least have had some serious questions about the boy and yet he had done nothing. And every year the old man gave him just enough for him to go running off to solve some mystery and stop Riddle, the only year that seemed semi out of his control was fourth when Cedric died.
 
He had never trusted the Ministry and never would, unless it underwent a complete overhaul and all workers were subjected to Veritaserum. The whole place was just simply corrupt. Who takes money from a man founds in Death Eater robes in the DoM attacking school children and then lets them walk free? Cornelius Fudge, that's who. Thanks to him Lucius Malfoy was free and was probably involved in the attack that killed the Dursley's. And now said Minister had out a bounty out on him for murder. Brilliant. Lockhart would make a better Minister than that idiot Fudge! They had tried to freeze his accounts only to find them empty and while that had added to the suspicion on him at least it kept Fudge from lining his pockets with his inheritance. He knew that if Fudge had his way he would never be able to return to England and remain a free man so he had to be able to stand up to the Ministry when he returned.
 
Hiro sighed and put Remus' letter aside. He hadn't needed it to know going back now would be a bad idea but it was nice to know the werewolf was looking out for him. He couldn't even answer the letter, too much chance of Hedwig being recognised and intercepted or tracked back home. At least he didn't blame him for running like so many would. He wondered what Remus would think of Iruka and his friends here in Konoha, not that he'd ever meet them but still. Hiro still hoped that Remus would like them though.
 
----------------------------
“So where are we going?” Kakashi looked down and smiled at the annoyed teen. He had to admit that training with the boy was the most fun he'd had since Team 7 fell apart, unless he counted time spent with said teens older cousin. Of course annoying this teen was a little more dangerous than annoying his old team had ever been. They'd only try to kill him; Hiro though would simply make his life a living nightmare. Who'd have thought that once Hiro had finally settled he would reveal a mischievous side to rival Iruka and Naruto's. And detecting pranks fuelled by magic was a lot harder than anything Naruto had ever attempted to do to him.
 
“Well…” He drawled earning a glare.
“I have a mission and we don't want your training to suffer without my guidance.” Hiro snorted and Kakashi cuffed him lightly, smiling when the teen didn't flinch at all.
“Therefore I have arranged another teacher for you.” Hiro blinked in shock as he stared around the training ground.
 
“Kakashi?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“You really don't like living do you?” Hiro glared at him as the training grounds occupants headed their way.
 
“MY ETERNAL RIVAL!” Hiro shot Kakashi a look that, if looks could kill would have left the jounin as a greasy little smear on the ground. Kakashi chuckled nervously before giving a lazy wave to team 9. Hiro offered a polite smile to the team he knew the least out of the group that gathered weekly. But he had never met their sensei, till now. He knew why Iruka and Kakashi had been amused when he'd met Lee, Gai was at least a hundred times worse!
“SO THIS IS IRUKA-SENSEI'S YOUTHFUL COUSIN. I AM MAITO GAI.” Hiro's smile became stained as the man bellowed happily, his ears hurting.
 
“A pleasure to meet you.” Hiro said politely.
 
“Gai has agreed to work with you while I'm gone.” Kakashi told him with a smile, hiding a shiver of fear. He knew Hiro was going to get him back for this somehow but he honestly believed Gai was the best choice. Hiro needed to be able to defend himself but refused to be trained as a ninja leaving only hand-to-hand combat skills and Gai was the best for those.
 
“You are so dead Hatake.” Hiro muttered under his breath.
 
“Yes, well, have fun.” With that Kakashi was gone.
 
--------------------------------
Iruka watched in concern as Hiro dragged himself down the hall towards his bedroom, not even seeming to notice the worried chuunin. Just who had Kakashi asked to take over the teens training while he was gone?
 
“Hiro? Are you okay?” He called out and his cousin paused, turning to look at him.
 
“He's crazy.” The boy answered tiredly.
 
“Who?” Iruka frowned.
 
“Gai. Hope you won't miss Kakashi, I'm going to kill him when he gets back.” Iruka blinked at the matter of fact statement as Hiro shut his bedroom door. Gai? Kakashi had sent his cousin to Gai of all people for training? He might just help Hiroshi kill his lover when he returned! Then again the training would be good for Hiro (hopefully it wouldn't kill him) and maybe he would re-think his decision on being trained as a ninja as much as Iruka really didn't like the idea it would make Hiro even more able to protect himself. And that was what mattered most.
 
-------------------------------
Neji watched as his sensei put Hiroshi through what should be classified as torture, especially considering the older teen wasn't a shinobi. But the green-eyed teen put up with it without a word of complaint. It was obvious he was being taught for a reason but what was it? Umino Hiroshi was an enigma, one he was no closer to working out then he had been when they first met. For a civilian his skills were impressive, even if he didn't use chakra. Not that he couldn't if properly trained, unlike Lee he definitely had it and enough that training him wouldn't be too hard. And yet he was only being taught to fight hand-to-hand. Although he did carry a knife, a gift from Kakashi and Tenten was helping him truly master its use.
 
There was something about Hiro that made it impossible for Neji to ignore him and that annoyed him. The teen really wasn't anything special so why the special treatment?
 
--------------------------
Iruka ducked, just dodging a beam of red light coming from his cousins' hand. They'd been at it for three hours now and both of them were exhausted but happy with their progress. Hiro's already good reflexes were steadily improving and Iruka had managed to break two of the curses himself. Hiro's training over the last week with Gai had been going surprisingly well even though the teen had come home half dead most days. So while there were no longer any plans to kill Kakashi he was still going to receive some punishment for doing that to Hiro with no warning. At least the increased physical training was helping with his magic too, making it a little easier to use.
 
Iruka groaned as he opened his eyes to see worried green staring down at him. He sat up, Hiro hovering over him. He smiled at the teen to let him now he was okay and then pushed himself up to his feet.
 
“Are you okay?”
 
“I'm fine Hiro. Thanks for waking me up.”
 
“Why didn't you dodge?” Hiro frowned; he knew Iruka should have been able to dodge that stunner.
 
“Guess I lost my concentration.” Iruka admitted in embarrassment and Hiroshi nodded in understanding. Though neither had said anything they were both worried about Kakashi, he was almost a week overdue. Hence their practice session, trying to keep from going mad with worry.
 
“I'm sure he'll be fine. He's a famous ninja right?”
 
“You're right. He probably got distracted by a new book.” Hiro snorted and rolled his eyes at the mention of the hated books.
 
“Or he's helping a little old lady with her groceries.” Iruka laughed. Hiro definitely knew his lover well.
 
-------------------------------
Hiro and Lee stepped apart as an Anbu appeared in the clearing, the rest of team 9 also stopping their training.
 
“Umino Hiroshi?” Hiro nodded.
“Please report to the Hokage's office.” The Anbu vanished and Hiro frowned. What could Tsunade want to see him for?
 
“See you later then.” Hiro jogged back towards the village. When he arrived the secretary let him in and he frowned as he saw his cousin standing in front of the Hokage's desk.
“You wanted to see me Tsunade-sama?” Hiro stepped up to stand beside Iruka.
 
“I thought the two of you deserved to be the first to know, Hatake Kakashi is being listed as Missing in Action.”
 
TBC…