Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Unfortunately I own neither Harry Potter nor Naruto. Pity really.
Okay so voting is closed. For Kakashi I am going with the majority vote while for Iruka I think I've reached a compromise.
On with the story. Sorry in advance for seriously hurting Kakashi.
 
Chapter 14
 
 
The ninja in the room snapped to attention as Tsunade entered, followed by Sakura. The pink haired girl looked very surprised to see Hiroshi in the briefing room but still smiled at him.
 
“Good everyone's here. Team 9 along with Umino Hiroshi, Umino Iruka and Haruno Sakura you are being sent to retrieve Hatake Kakashi, alive if possible. Iruka and Sakura will set up a temporary base for you to fall back to since he probably won't be in good condition, correct Hiroshi?” Everyone turned to Hiro, all but Iruka in surprise.
 
“As much as I hate to say it by this time we'll be lucky if he's still alive with how long it's been since he last contacted you.” The group looked between Hiro and Tsunade, the teen was glaring coldly at their leader, an expression they'd never seen on his face before. And what was even more surprising was Tsunade looking down slightly, as if feeling guilty for something.
 
“As the mission will be in the Outside Hiroshi is in charge.”
 
“What?” Sakura looked at her mentor in confusion. Why put Hiro in charge? He was a civilian from the mountains.
 
“I'm sorry Sakura but I've lied to you all. My birth name isn't even Umino Hiroshi though I am Iruka's cousin. I was born and raised Outside and I know the way the people who have Kakashi work.” Hiro explained softly, unable to look at them. Iruka put a comforting hand on his shoulder and the teen gave him a small smile.
 
“How do you know that?” Neji asked coolly.
 
“Because their leader has been trying to kill me since I was a baby. It's part of the reason I left when I found out about Iruka. I've been fighting them on and off since I was eleven.”
 
“But you didn't know how to fight till Kakashi-sensei started teaching you.” Sakura knew the others were just as confused as she was. Hiro held up his hand.
 
“Lumos.” They stared at his hand and the ball of light hovering above it.
“You will not be fighting ninja but wizards, vampires, werewolves and any other creatures that have been lured to their side. Magic is very real and capable of ending your lives before you can blink. Vampires are the undead, far faster and stronger than any human. Werewolves are fast and strong but aren't as dangerous except for the full moon. We will be going into a place where we are severely outnumbered and won't be able to trust anyone.” Hiro explained.
 
“I am placing Hiroshi in charge because of this, he knows the people and he knows the way they fight. Hopefully you'll be able to get in and out again without anyone being the wiser. But as I doubt that will happen Team 9 has been chosen for their speed and combat skills. Hiroshi and Iruka will brief you on how to best fight a magical opponent en route. You are being sent to retrieve Kakashi, nothing more. You leave in three hours, dismissed.”
 
------------------------------
Hiro leant against the gate and stared up at the sky, ignoring Iruka who was leaning beside him and the guards who were nearby. He wasn't ready for this, he'd thought he'd have more time before having to face that world again but as he told Tsunade he would not abandon Kakashi. The jounin could have left him behind in Sound but had instead helped him escape and had even carried his half dead body to Konoha for medical treatment after Ves had bitten him. Since then he had become a friend and in a way almost another cousin. He prayed that Kakashi would still be alive, sane and human when they got there or else he would make them pay. He would not loose anyone else he cared about, not without a fight. He just wished he'd been able to retrieve his wand but only his transfigured trunk had come to his summons so he had to assume it had been destroyed. And so in separate vials he had a fang, venom and a scale from Ves along with a wing and tail feather from Hedwig. While doing reconnaissance he planned to drop in on a wandmaker so that he would be fully armed when it came time for the rescue.
 
“You okay?” Iruka asked softly, snapping him out of his thoughts.
 
“Yeah. How are you holding up?” He looked at his cousin in concern, it wasn't everyday that you found out your lover was being held by a bunch of powerful maniacs who had been trying to kill your cousin for years after all.
 
“Okay I guess. We've always known the risks of one of us never coming home.” Iruka said softly.
 
“He will come home if I have anything to say about it.” Hiroshi promised firmly.
 
“Do you have any ideas for where Sakura and I will wait?” That made Hiro smile softly.
 
“Yeah, I know a place. I know you want to go all the way but.”
 
“It's okay, I know why the Hokage is having me wait, I'm too emotionally involved and could be a risk to the mission.”
 
“I don't know, I always seem to do better when emotionally involved.” He said remembering how his desperation to save Sirius had led to the strongest Patronus he'd ever managed. They fell silent as Neji joined them at the gates. Hiro could feel the Hyuuga watching him, even with his eyes closed.
“If you want to say something then say it.” Hiro said after several minutes of feeling Neji's gaze on him.
 
“Why lie?” Hiroshi opened his eyes and met Neji's gaze.
 
“To protect myself and everyone here. With nothing to link this village to my old name no one would come here looking for me. It was meant to be a fresh start. Till Tsunade decided to send Kakashi out without even thinking of asking which countries it might be a good idea to avoid.”
 
“This Romania is that bad?” Neji asked, wanting more information on their destination.
 
“What I know is a few months out of date but yeah. We'll have to be very careful once we get there or we'll end up in cells next to Kakashi.” Hiro told him. He smiled as Sakura and the rest of Team 9 joined them.
“Ready?”
 
“How will you keep up with us? I didn't think you could run like we do?” Sakura asked.
 
“I can't. Wait till we're further from the village.” Sakura nodded but watched him curiously as they started walking. Fifteen minutes later they stopped.
“Anyone around?” Neji checked and then shook his head.
“Good.” They watched as Hiroshi pulled a bit of garbage from his pocket, Iruka's eyes widening.
 
“Is that what I think it is?” He asked in surprise, knowing how much his cousin hated those things.
“Yeah, it's the quickest option.” Hiro answered tightly.
 
“A piece of garbage?” Tenten questioned.
 
“A portkey actually. Everyone gather round and touch it. Don't let go.” The followed his instructions.
“Ready?” They all agreed and Hiro took a deep breath.
“Hope.” With a familiar tugging sensation the group of seven vanished from the Hidden Countries.
 
-----------------------
Hiro ignored the shinobi as they sorted themselves out after their rather interesting landing, his attention fixed on the clearing ahead of them and the small house inside it.
 
“Stay here till I call for you. If I'm not back in five minutes the return code for the portkey is Godaime.” Hiro took a step only for Iruka to stop him.
 
“Hiro?” The teen flashed him a smile and then slipped his cloak off finally revealing what he was wearing. Having his trunk back was really coming in handy. He was dressed like any typical slightly rebellious wizarding teen; black slightly baggy pants, a too-tight green Quidditch t-shirt and dragon hide boots. Without his glasses, his hair now falling to his shoulders and with his scar hidden with makeup and a genjutsu courtesy of Tsunade anyone watching the clearing would not think Harry Potter was there. He strolled across the clearing as if he hadn't a care in the world before knocking on the door. The ninja watched closely as a rather shabbily dressed man opened the door only to stare in Hiro in shock before giving a shout of joy and gathering him up in a tight hug.
 
------------------------------
Remus grumbled as he got up and went to the door since the knocking wasn't stopping. He flung it open only to stare at the teenager on his doorstep. He blinked in surprise as he recognised the teens' scent.
 
“Harry?” He whispered.
 
“Hey Moony.” Harry answered softly but with genuine affection. The teen gasped as he grabbed him up in a hug, grinning like an idiot.
 
“What are you doing here? Where have you been? Like the new clothes though.” Harry laughed.
 
“Thanks. As for everything else it's complicated. I'm here with some friends though, mind if we crash for a bit.” Remus looked at him in concern, something was very wrong.
 
“Harry? What's going on?”
 
“Please Remus I'll explain I promise but we need to get out of sight.” He looked at Harry and then nodded.
“Thanks, back in a sec.” Harry ran back towards the woods and then re-emerged with the oddest group he had ever seen and that was saying something. Remus stepped back out of the doorway and smiled politely as the group entered, all watching him warily.
“How good are your wards?”
 
“Good, Sirius had this place done by the goblins for me years ago for safety. Harry explanation, please?” Harry motioned for his companions to sit, saying something in a language Remus didn't understand.
 
“Okay, so you know the Dursley's were killed. I came home to find the place a crater so I ran, ended up at Gringotts. The Goblins were very helpfully once they found out I was both the Potter and Black heir. I emptied my accounts and then did some much needed shopping while under glamour. Anyhow while I was gone the goblins were working up a family tree. To my shock it turns out that I still have living family and on Mum's side. Want to guess where my maternal grandmother was from?”
 
“I get the feeling somewhere I'd never think of so just tell me cub.” Remus noticed the small smile Harry gave him for that nickname.
 
“The Hidden Countries.” Okay, he definitely wouldn't have guessed that one in a million years. He only knew about those countries because he was an `utter bookworm' as James had once called him.
 
“Then your companions…”
 
“Yep.”
 
“But why have you come back? There's a reward out on you Harry, dead or alive.”
 
“Because someone I have come to see as family has been captured in Romania. We're the rescue party.” Remus collapsed heavily into the chair behind him.
 
“Romania…Harry you can't be serious.”
 
“Remus, would you do any differently if it were me or Sirius there? I will not abandon him, I can't.” Remus sighed and dragged a hand through his hair.
 
“What do you need?” Harry smiled and hugged him.
 
“Thank you.” Harry pulled back and smiled at his honorary godfather.
“First is there some sort of translation spell or something? This'll be a lot easier if we can all speak the same language.” Remus nodded and pulled out his wand making the shinobi tense and then relax when they saw it was a simple stick, except Iruka who knew it was a wand. With a simple wave and some Latin the spell was done.
“Well now that everyone can understand each other time for introductions. Everyone this is my godfather Remus. Moony this is my cousin Iruka; with him are Gai, Neji, Lee, Tenten and Sakura. If it's okay then Iruka and Sakura will stay here while the rest of us go to Romania to find Kakashi. We'll need medical supplies since they've had him a while and anything necessary for a new were or vamp, just in case.” Harry swallowed as he said that, not wanting Kakashi to have to go through that. Remus nodded in understanding.
“We're going to need as much up to date info as we can get too.”
 
“I can get some from Order HQ but the rest…”
 
“I'll take care of.”
 
“Harry!”
 
“I'll keep my hood up and a glamour on, I'm not suicidal.”
 
“I know. Just don't get caught. Last thing I need is to have to try to break you out of Azkaban.”
 
“Azkaban?” Gai questioned.
 
“Wizarding prison.” Harry answered shortly. The shinobi looked between the two wizards. Obviously Hiro's real name was Harry but why was Remus worried about him being put in prison? Seeing their looks Harry sighed.
“My relatives were killed and the minister would rather pin it on me than chase after Death Eaters. Hence the price on my head. Which is why I'm not going to be looking for info in England.”
 
-----------------------
No one paid any attention to one more cloaked figure as they made their way through the crowds. Spying the shop he needed the figure broke from the flow and entered, glaring at the little bell that signalled his arrival.
 
“May I help you good sir?”
 
“I need a wand and was told you could help me.”
 
“Looking for something special then, hmm?” The gnarled old man asked, rubbing his hands together in glee. Several vials were handed over along with some wood and a bag of gold.
“Hmmm….”The old man studied the materials and the gold before grinning.
“Come back tomorrow and it'll be ready.
 
“Agreed.” With that the cloaked man apparated out.
 
Harry lowered his hood and shook out his hair, stupid of him to cast a cooling charm on the cloak really. Now for the local branch of Gringotts, joy.
 
-------------
Remus watched the Ninja curiously, especially the one Harry had called cousin. They were an…odd bunch. Especially the two green clad ones. Half the time he was tempted to take the translation charm off them just so he wouldn't have to understand what they were saying, watching it was bad enough. The boy Neji…that had been embarrassing but he honestly looked blind. The two girls were nice enough and a lot more normal seeming. And Iruka…he appeared a nice man, if agitated but it had been explained that he was a close friend of the man needing to be rescued, which was why he would be remaining behind with Sakura who turned out to be the groups' medic. Harry should be able to handle any quick on site healing, leaving the heavier stuff for her on their return.
 
He honestly didn't mind that his cottage had become base camp for a group of ninja and one wizard, he actually enjoyed the company and knew it would be lonely once they all left. But as much as he loved having Harry back it simply wasn't safe for the teen to remain. He had offered to go with them, give them another wizard but they had declined stating that teamwork would make up for things and as they had never worked with him before…
 
Remus smiled as Iruka ran over to check Harry was okay as the teen apparated into the clearing. He already knew Harry wasn't bleeding since he couldn't smell any and he didn't have the familiar scent of fear around him so he was probably okay. It was good to see Harry had some family that cared for him and that he felt he could open up to. He'd seen the signs in the teen's behaviour back in third year but Dumbledore had dismissed his concerns as nothing and Harry refused to talk about it so he could do nothing. He knew the main group was leaving tonight and he would be lying if he said he wasn't scared but he knew Harry, he always came through when the odds were against him.
 
----------------------
Harry smothered a laugh as he helped Lee with his cloak. The younger teen had been very disappointed to learn he couldn't wear green but they wanted to blend in, not stand out a mile. Gai had been easier to make wear the wizarding clothes but then again he was a jounin, no matter how weird he seemed. Honestly Gai's team was not one he would have picked for stealth but with the odds of them having to face vampires and the like he had needed the fastest team. At least Tenten and Neji had simply accepted the clothes and gone off to change. In a way though he was glad Lee was fussing, he needed the humour. Iruka and Sakura had a temporary medical room already set up and Remus had the secure room he used on nights of the full moon ready as well although they were all praying that was unnecessary. He was carry a case of shrunken medical supplies in preparation of giving what first aid he could, Remus had run him through everything several times just to be safe. As well as that he had the knife Kakashi had given him and his new wand. They were all armed and dressed to blend, in others words they were as ready as they were going to get.
 
----------------------------
Neji stayed close to Hiro…Harry? He honestly wasn't sure what to call the other teen anymore. Yes this mission had solved many of the questions he had had about the youngest Umino but it had also raised new ones. Using the intelligence Remus and Hiro had gathered they had split into two groups and then gone to the places most likely to be holding Kakashi. For now though they were sticking to the towns since someone would have seen his capture. He was watching his team leaders back as he chatted with bar patrons, occasionally slipping one or two some gold coins to get their tongues wagging. Tenten was meant to be doing the same several towns away with Gai and Lee guarding her. Hopefully neither of his two usually spandex clad teammates would do anything to break cover, they did not want to try rescuing four people.
 
“What's wrong?” His companion whispered in Japanese.
 
“You never said what name.” Neji whispered back and Harry/Hiro? blinked.
 
“Sorry. Hiro, the other one is too dangerous in this world.” Neji nodded and Hiro went back to charming the patrons, which he was surprisingly good at. Twenty minutes later they slipped from the bar and out into the cold night air but Hiro was smiling beneath his hood.
“Got him.” He grinned and Neji found himself giving a small smile in return.
 
“Let's head back then.” Hiro nodded and Neji put a hand on his arm. A second later there was a soft pop and they were gone.
 
-----------------------
“Alas we could find nothing on my eternal rival! What must he be suffering at the hands of these.” The door opened, thankfully cutting him off, to reveal a grinning Hiro and a less sour than usual Neji.
 
“We found him.” Hiro said causing Gai and Lee to launch into their usual hugging with the sunset background, which Hiro still couldn't work out how they did.
 
“Will you wait until tomorrow night or risk the daylight?” Remus asked as he handed the two teen cups of tea.
 
“There may be more chance of being spotted during the day but it means they can't send the vampires out after us. Everyone get some sleep, we leave at 5am.” Hiro ordered and they dispersed to their sleeping bags, or in Sakura and Tenten's case Remus' spare bedroom with its double bed.
 
Remus went into the kitchen to wash the dishes and wasn't all that surprised when he was joined.
 
“Nervous cub?”
 
“I've never led something like this before Moony, what if I screw up?”
 
“You won't. You're a lot like your parents when it comes to these things, though before you were more like James. But you've planned this out like Lily used to and you have the natural leadership skills of your father. They all have their individual skills, as do you, remember that and use them fully. Don't rush in but take the time to study the situation and you'll be fine.” Remus assured him.
 
“I've missed you Moony.”
 
“I've missed you too.” Remus finished the dishes and drew the teen into a hug.
“I'll always be here for you when you need me, you know that right?” Harry nodded against his chest.
 
“I almost came to you that day but I didn't want to put you in any more danger. You're the only godfather I have and the last link to my parents.”
 
“They would be so proud of you Harry, Sirius too.” Remus released him and grabbed a towel to help him finish drying the dishes.
“I've been doing some shopping on your behalf.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Books and supplies for your further studies, plus a lot of our old Marauder things. There's even our notes on animagi in there but please have a nurse or something supervise if you ever try to transform.”
 
“Thanks Moony, I will.”
 
--------------------------
Hiro pressed his face into the fabric in front of him. His disillusionment charms better hold up or it wouldn't be the Death Eaters that killed him but embarrassment. He was clinging to Gai's back as they moved at top speed up the rock face and towards the towering fortress. There was no lack of fortresses and castles in Romania, if they made the vampires and werewolves play nice after the war it could be a bustling tourist country. He smothered a relieved sigh as he was lowered to the ground and stepped away from Gai to study the wall. According to his information there was a hidden entrance somewhere around here.
 
“Neji.” He nodded and activated his eyes.
 
“A meter to your right there's a tunnel through the wall.” Hiro moved over and began tracing the wall, trying to find the actual opening. He grinned as it clicked open and the tunnel was revealed.
 
“Anyone in it?”
 
“Negative.”
 
“Lets go.” Hiro led the way with Neji behind him to keep an eye out for enemies.
“This should bring us out at the very bottom level, cells start the level above and go for three. We'll have to search each level as we go.” The others nodded and they exited the tunnel once Neji gave the all clear.
 
“There are three levels, we should split up.” Tenten said.
 
“How far can you see Neji?” Hiro asked and Neji understood. He stared upwards, scanning the levels above them.
 
“The first two levels are empty.” He reported. Hiro nodded and headed for the stairs, beginning the climb. Half way up Neji grabbed his arm and they froze. Then Hiro heard it, voices. He frowned since he didn't recognise the language but they were coming this way and there was nowhere to hide when halfway up a staircase.
“Trust me?” Hiro nodded and forced himself not to tense as Neji's arms wrapped around him securely. The next thing he knew he was upside down and gripping Neji's arms very tightly. He noticed that Tenten had yanked Lee up with them and that Gai was ready to kill the men if they noticed them hanging above their heads. Luckily they didn't look up, unfortunately that meant they had two enemies behind them. Hiro looked at Gai as the older man had more experience with this sort of thing. The jounin nodded and threw two kunai, expertly aimed the two men never felt a thing as they crumpled, dead before they hit the stairs. The group dropped back to the ground and quickly set the bodies rolling so that they would end up at the lowest level and hopefully remain undiscovered until they were long gone.
 
Neji scanned the level above them and nodded, he'd found Kakashi, but there were also guards on this level. Hiro closed his eyes and focused on his magical senses, trying to get a feel for wether or not the guards were human. He grimaced as he felt the familiar presence of a werewolf. He pulled out a gift Remus had given him while wearing thick gloves and Neji pushed the door open a crack, just enough for Hiro to through the cylinder through. It shattered on impact and the guard began choking as he inhaled the silver vapour. The other guards began calling to each other as Hiro shoved the door open and threw himself into a roll to avoid the incoming curses. He returned fire, giving the others a chance to get into the hall and fight back. Harry's last stunner caught the final guard just before he could hit the alarm much to their relief.
 
“Anyone hurt?” Hiro relaxed as they all replied in the negative. Searching the bodies he found the cell keys while Tenten slit the stunned guards throat, better not to leave anyone alive that could possibly identify them.
“Which cell?”
 
“End of the corridor on the left.” Neji answered and they set off. As it turned out Neji needn't have told them since it became obvious which cell he was in the closer they got. Hiro fought down the urge to be sick as the stench of fear, sweat, pain and human waste hit him and he could see Tenten pale drastically. He motioned for her and Lee to hang back and watch their backs and she couldn't hide the small look of relief. He flashed her a small smile in reply and kept going. His eyes flickered to Gai who had his hands balled into tight enough fists that his hands were white. Neji had a look of disgust on his face and Hiro had to force himself to take a deep breath to control his magic. Last thing they needed was for him to accidentally bring the fortress down on their heads in anger. He had to force his hand not to shake as he slipped the key into the lock and pushed the cell door open. A whispered lumos lit the small room up and immediately made Hiro wish for darkness again.
 
“Kakashi.” Hiro managed to get his vocal chords working though only in a choked whisper. There was no answer and he looked at Neji who nodded, he was alive. Hiro took a hesitant step into the cell and then dashed to his friend's side. He was reluctant to touch him in case he just made it worse but he needed to get him uncurled if even only a little.
“It's okay Kakashi, we're here to take you home.” He whispered soothingly and then put a hand on his shoulder. Kakashi convulsed slightly, pulling away and curling up even more if it was possible.
“Kakashi can you hear me? Do you know who I am?” He asked as he quickly ran a diagnostic spell and then pushed himself away from the injured man to empty his stomach.
 
“Hiro?” Gai called in concern.
 
“I'm okay. We need to get him out of here but I need to get some potions into him first.” Gai nodded and moved to help. Kakashi finally responded vocally, screaming as they tried to get him to straighten him out a bit.
 
“Eternal rival please we are only trying to help.”
 
“I don't think he's aware of us.” Hiro told the other man. They finally managed to roll him over enough to get a look at his face and sure enough his eye was glazed and unfocused, not seeing them. Hiro gently held his head still making eye contact.
“You're going to be okay Kakashi, we're taking you home.” He said, staring into Kakashi's open eye even as the man fought against them weakly. He only hoped he was simply delirious from fever and hadn't been driven mad considering how many times he had been exposed to the Cruciatus curse. Pulling out the needed potions Gai helped him get them into the injured man. They were all relieved when he finally went limp as the mild sleeping draught and pain relievers kicked in. Gai lifted the broken body gently and they quickly left the cell. They hurried back down the hall, picking Tenten and Lee up on the way, both teens sparing a horrified look at the copy-nin as they ran. They all but flew down the stairs and back into the tunnel until they were outside.
 
“I'll meet you back at the cottage, there's something I need to do first.” Hiro stated flatly but they could all hear the restrained rage in his voice.
 
“Hiro…”
 
“Go.” He all but snarled, his magic snapping around him. Gai nodded and they portkeyed out. As soon as they were gone he released his fraying hold on his magic, feeding his rage and pain into it and aiming it all at the fortress before him. As the fortress began to shake under the assault he activated his own portkey, returning to the chaos of Moony's cottage. He took one step towards the kitchen and then slipped into the welcoming embrace of darkness, unaware of Neji catching him gently and carrying him to his sleeping bag.
 
TBC…
My longest chapter yet.