Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 22

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them.
 
Chapter 22
 
Remus looked up from his book as the sound of phoenix song filled his house. Smiling he grabbed his bag and apparated.
 
Neville paused and then closed his eyes, smiling as Fawkes' song reached him. He looked over to Luna who smiled back at him and held out a hand.
 
Fred and George exchanged grim looks and then slung their bags over their shoulders before vanishing from the now silent Burrow.
 
Hagrid looked up as Fang went nuts and then grabbed his crossbow, umbrella and Fang's lead, heading towards the other end of the forest.
 
They all smiled in greeting as they met up in the ruins of Hogwarts, knowing exactly why they were there, Fawkes hovering in the air above them. And in a flash of flame Harry appeared in front of them, older than any but Remus remembered him being and with a new confidence about him.
 
“Ready to end this?” He asked and they all nodded.
“Then let's go.”
 
------------------------------
Has Our Saviour Returned?
By Rita Skeeter.
 
Over the last four months the armies of He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named have been attacked almost relentlessly. After the Death of the great Albus Dumbledore and the disappearance of the Boy-Who-Lived we lost hope. But is it possible the boy hero has returned? So far no one has stepped forward to claim responsibility for these attacks but we all hope it is Harry Potter who has returned in our greatest hour of need.
 
Once believed responsible for the murder of his relatives, the Ministry has since offered Mr. Potter a full pardon after finding there was no evidence linking him to the crime. This is despite ex-Minister Cornelius Fudge demanding his arrest for the crime.
 
With the destruction of Hogwarts and the deaths of so many we can only hope that Harry Potter can end this war soon.
 
“At least I'm back to being a hero.” With that the Prophet was thrown into the fire.
 
--------------------------------------
“Iruka?” The chuunin turned to where his lover was waking up in their bed.
 
“It's okay Kakashi; I was just getting some water.” Mismatched eyes stared at him and then Kakashi shook his head.
 
“You were checking his room again.” Kakashi stated quietly and Iruka turned back to the window, trying to keep his shoulders from shaking. He heard Kakashi get up but didn't move, even when warm arms wrapped around his chest.
“He'll come back, he promised. He wiped a whole castle out to save me he can handle one Dark Lord.” The `I hope' was left unsaid and Iruka turned in his arms to lay his head on Kakashi's chest.
 
“I want them both home safe.” Iruka admitted softly and Kakashi nodded. It wasn`t fair that both Iruka's `boys' had insane killers after them but at least Naruto had Jiraiya with him and the fox to heal his wounds. Hiroshi had gone alone.
 
“Naruto's due back soon isn't he?” Kakashi tried to cheer Iruka up and to his relief the younger man nodded.
“Think they'll get along?”
 
“I think Hiro's going to go big brother on Naruto when he finds out how similar they are.” Iruka chuckled slightly and Kakashi joined in when he thought about it. Yeah, Akatsuki were in for a shock once Hiro got back.
“I just hate having no news, he could die out there and we'd never know.”
 
“I get the feeling one of his pets would find a way to fill us in. Come back to bed, please.” Kakashi tugged lightly and Iruka let himself be led back to their bed. He curled up and smiled as Kakashi wrapped himself protectively around him. Kakashi was well on the road to recovery, Hiroshi would be so happy when he came home. He had even started training again, though nothing heavy and only with someone he trusted around. But it was a definite improvement.
 
------------------------
“You know sleep is actually good for you Shadow.” He looked up and managed a sheepish grin for his godfather.
 
“Except for the bit were Tom spends the whole night trying to drive me nuts no matter how tight my shields are Moony?” The remaining original Marauder sighed sadly and wrapped the smaller male in a hug, over a year with barely any sleep had seriously taken its toll on the boy.
 
“You'll be free soon cub.”
 
“One way or another.” Was the dark answer.
 
---------------------------------
They stood opposite each other, one in black robes the younger in a mix of shinobi and wizarding battle gear. The battles around then came to a standstill as people realised this was it.
 
“So the coward has returned.” Riddle hissed and Harry rolled his eyes.
 
“Do you practise in front of a mirror or something snake face? Are we going to fight or are you going to try to talk me to death?” Harry drawled out, seemingly bored but really keeping attention off Ves who had slithered over to Nagini. He smirked as with one bite Riddle's pet was dead. He snorted and shook his head.
“I held out longer from her bite, what a wimp.” His words served their purpose as with a bellow of rage the fight was on.
 
Harry focused on dodging, letting Voldemort wear himself out a bit before going on the attack himself, Gryffindor's sword in one hand and his new wand in the other. Fawkes flew above them, singing for his benefit and ready to intercept any killing curses headed his way. The look of shock on Riddle's face when Harry physically attacked was priceless but that didn't mean the fight was over, Voldemort wasn't one of the most feared Dark Lords in history for no reason.
 
Harry used the sword to intercept a cutting curse and then sent his own back. He didn't know how long they'd been fighting for but he was thankful for all the training he'd received since arriving in Konoha or he'd probably have passed out a while ago due to exhaustion. Tom didn't seem to be fairing much better though. He stumbled slightly as a curse grazed him and Riddle made to finish it but was distracted by Vas snapping at his ankles and Fawkes and Hedwig dive bombing him. Harry took advantage, ignoring the pain of his various injuries, lunging forward and sweeping the sword at neck level. It was with a rather satisfying thud that the Dark Lord's head hit the ground.
 
Remus stared in shock at Harry, he could smell the blood seeping from his various wounds, but his godson merely straightened and turned to face the fighters for both sides.
 
“I've done what the prophecy demanded. You can clean up your own messes from now on. And while you're at it, grow up. I'd rather be a muggle than one of you pathetic sheep.” With that Harry vanished in a flash of flame. Remus and the others following seconds later. He wasn't surprised to find Harry collapsed on his sleeping bag, a situation so similar to another that had taken place in the same house over a year ago. Thankfully Poppy was ready and waiting for their return and was already crouched at Harry's side.
 
“Exhaustion mainly, though he's lost a bit of blood. Nothing life threatening.” She commented and Remus relaxed.
“Let me have a look at you.” She stood and moved closer, Remus knowing better than to disobey.
 
---------------------------------------
“You don't have to leave Shadow.” Harry glanced up but continued packing.
 
“You know why I can't stay Moony.” Was the quiet answer and the werewolf sighed.
 
“I'll miss you cub, no matter what you always have a home with me if you need it.”
 
“I know.” Harry turned and hugged him, Remus holding him tightly in return.
 
“Say hello to your cousin and the others for me. And let Iruka know I tried to keep you from doing any of your crazier plans.” Harry laughed and nodded, trying to subtly brush away the tears.
 
“I will old wolf.” He slung his satchel over his shoulder, gave Moony one last hug and then vanished.
 
Harry looked around, smiled and stretched, he was maybe two day's travel from Konoha but he could do with the extra time to process what had happened when he'd killed Tom. He almost started whistling he was so happy to be heading home but then figured it probably wasn't the safest thing to do.
 
TBC...