Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Sai's Blunder ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The sun shined overhead with a brilliant glare, cascading downward in blinding sweeps of light and heat. Competing with lackadaisical turns, a breeze tugged on the fringes of Konoha Village, barely reaching past its four main gates to finger the clothes and hair of the afternoon civilians.

Walking along one of the various roads in the village, Naruto and Sai glanced around for their friend, Sakura.

“Ahh, where is she?” Naruto mumbled, hands laced in a bored manner behind his head. The yellow tone to his hair was brought to life under the sun, falling in blond streaks around his headband.

Sai, smiling softly, shrugged and kept walking.

“When she said she would be ‘right back,’ I didn’t think she would take so long,” Naruto continued with a narrow eyed glare. He turned his head and stared into the windows of the shops they were passing, occasionally pausing to stare at an interesting article. Nothing really caught his attention, though, and he gave a heavy sigh before walking on. Finally, rolling his eyes, he turned to tell Sai that they would have to eat ramen without Sakura when she appeared--

The young, pink-haired girl was wearing a softly colored divided skirt that was simply but prettily embroidered at the hem. She hesitated upon seeing her friends, but with a tight smile she approached them. Modestly twirling her new purchase, she paused to glance once at the way the sun brought out the colors in the skirt; her lashes caught in a blink as her appreciation of the skirt increased.

“I know it’s normally not my thing,” she began with a shrug, “but it didn’t cost very much, and…” She trailed off, eyeing her friends questionably.

Naruto, noting her stare, grunted under his breath and mumbled, quietly, “All that time for a skirt?” Louder, he said, “It’s uh, pretty, Sakura-chan.”

At least, he knew that‘s what she wanted to hear.
But he couldn’t help but grin suddenly.

Turning to Sai, Sakura asked, “What do you think?” She offered a pleasant smile as she waited for an answer.

Blinking, a bemused expression suddenly came over the man. His eyes seemed to glaze over as he thought. He tried to recall what he had read only that morning:

When a friend asks a question, it is always good to be honest with him or her. That way, both you and your friend establish a good sense of trust and respect for one another. Lying is a sure way to lose a friendship, especially if it causes strain or discomfort on either individual‘s part.

“Sai?” Sakura asked again, frowning slightly at his delay.

Oh, Sai thought, that’s right.

“Uh, Sai--!” Naruto warned him, fearful for what his friend might say.

Sai smiled. “I think that skirt makes you look fat.”

Yelling.
Snarling.
A punch or two…

It’s Sakura.