Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow of the Lightning Kitsune ❯ Harry Potter and the Golden Kit ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Shadow of the Lightning Kitsune
Chapter: 03 - Harry Potter and the Golden Kit
Beta: None
Rating: T (swearing, possible OOC!Sasuke, overprotective!Harry)
Date / Words: Nov 6, 20071482
Disclaimer: Not mine.
AN: Read my lips. I don't update often but I do update everything at least once a year. More if the muse bites me in the arse - hard. I will soft copy "For the Sake of Sirius" (working title) and place it up before the end of the year, hell's probably before the end of the month. When FSS is up I will remove "Surprises" until such time as the muse awakens again. I don't believe in leaving up discontinued fics or discontinued fics in the form of "long hiatus". Trust me, I will remove my stories before you will ever see "Hiatus" in my summary.
You will (hopefully) see a pair of one shots by Christmas. Otherwise, TNSD will probably be next after I finish SLK 4 and then D5. Yes, both will be updated, come hell or high water, before Midnight New Years. I'm actually aiming to have them by Christmas.

The kid was weird; there was no doubt about that. He was arguing with a snake after shoving Sakura out of the way of its bite. Not only that but he had a silk scarf covering his eyes suggesting blindness. The boy's hair was done in hundreds of tiny braids decorated wildly. If he wasn't completely mistaken the beads weren't glass or iron pyrite (1). Naruto might have been dead last but even he could recognize quality.
“Yo, thanks for saving my subordinate.” Kakashi's tone was warmer than normal, directed toward the strange teen.
Hissing sharply at the snake one last time, Harry turned toward the man's voice. “No problem Ninja-san, but you might want to train your genin to be more aware of their surroundings. That particular snake was aiming to kill her and eat her. Would have kept him happily fed for two weeks actually.”
“Right, I'll see to that. Tell me, how did you know we were shinobi?'
“You step too lightly, you aren't making excessive sounds at rest, and you are controlling your voice too well. Therefore, you have ninja training. The fact that you are escorting three kids suggests you are a jounin.”
“Whoa, he's good.” Sakura murmured.
“Hn.”
“And without seeing either. He did all that with just his ears. His senses gotta be better than even Dog-boy's.” Naruto was awed at the display.
“I'm not sure who your 'Dog-boy' is, but it isn't really that surprising. When a person loses one of the five main senses the remaining become stronger to compensate. I can't see so my ability to hear, smell, touch, and taste have increased dramatically.” Harry turned to face the awed boy's voice. Harry liked the kid, he sounded sincere in a way most people never were after they turned five.
The genin blinked, slightly unnerved by how directly the 'blind' boy looked at them, and Naruto specifically. Sasuke wasn't impressed.
“Hn. how come you can look at the dobe directly if you're blind?” Sasuke blinked at the grin that appeared and was disturbingly reminded of his blond teammate.
“Chakra, silly. His voice gave me the area and I just focused on the chakra over there. Every chakra is distinctive and it wasn't hard to figure out his chakra from yours or the girl. Ask your sensei, he probably figured all this out already.”
“Mah...how about we introduce each other first? Make explanations easier.” Kakashi asked in the strangely warm tone from earlier, with traces of curiosity in it.
The teen nodded, smiling amiably, his beads and braids quietly clacking with the motion. "I'm Harry Potter, pleasure to meet you all.” He bowed briefly in the direction of Team 7.
“Kakashi Hatake, jounin of Konoha.” Feral but ordered chakra flowed through him reminding Harry of a pack of wild wolves.
“I'm Sakura Haruno and I'm a genin of Konoha.” Little chakra but rigidly controlled, she had potential for medicine.
“Hn. Sasuke Uchiha.” Dark, chaotic and bloody. Sasuke could be extremely powerful but... this child needed watching.
“I'm Naruto Uzumaki! I'm going the next Hokage, believe it!” The chakra was absolutely massive but had almost no control. Harry could feel faint flickers of demonic chakra mixed in Naruto's own chakra, stretching his coils while disrupting the flow. However, his natural chakra felt clean, free of taint. Yes, this child, the Kyuubi holder, would do wonders.
“Hah, a short stuff like you? Never!” evidently the old man with them, Zabuza forgot to mention his name, was tired of being ignored.
“Shut it you old drunk!”
“Naruto, stop fighting with Tazuna-san!” Sakura's aura darkened threateningly and she clenched her fist so hard it was shaking.
“Sakuraaa...”
“Dobe, stop whining.” The little Uchiha snorted disdainfully and turned away from Naruto.
“Mah, Naruto...”
Harry frowned. Why were they picking on Naruto? It was an honest dream with the determination and integrity needed to make it come true.
“I'll agree with your comrades on one point Naruto. You couldn't be the next Hokage if you tried.”
“Wha?!”
“Easy, let me finish.” Harry raised his hands in a placating gesture, “If I remember right, the current Hokage is really old. He probably won't hold the title for another five years; forget until you're old enough to actually contend for the title. Hell, you might not even be eligible for the one after that-- what number is Konoha up to anyway?'
He could feel their eyes boring into him. The other two kids, Sasuke and Sakura, were shocked while the sensei was wary and skeptical. Naruto though, Harry could feel the hope burning, grateful that someone believed him. Even if it was a stranger.
“I don't know why your friends scoff at your dream but I can feel it. Your determination, integrity, honesty. I've been around people too long to believe that innocence can be retained; however, I can feel something...not innocence per se but...a type of optimism, as if you will only see the good in others until they prove otherwise.” Harry's voice was quietly contemplative yet carried easily to even Tazuna's untrained ears. Light flashed crazily off Harry's beads as they were twisted between his fingers in an unconscious gesture.
'Duck Butt' scoffed loudly and glared hotly at Naruto then Harry. “Naruto is just a dead last loser that can't do anything except drag everybody down.” Jealousy flared in Sasuke's chakra- not hate like he expected.
Sakura's chakra deadened in shock, Tazuna's minor amount flat lined while Kakashi's churned wildly. Evidently the supposed super ninja hadn't known about his little genin's feelings toward his teammate. Naruto though...
Naruto was devastated by Sasuke's announcement. He wasn't stupid, he knew Sasuke hadn't been happy being teamed with him but this...it was like Sasuke hated him. Damnit, Sasuke was his teammate; he wasn't supposed to be like the villagers. So he wasn't the number one or even twenty third rookie of the year. It wasn't his fault damnit- he tried but he was only human. Human...maybe Sasuke knew? But he couldn't know, the old man had made that law. Not that it ever really stopped the villagers before. 'Demon' 'monster' 'abomination' the names just went on and on. Naruto furtively glanced at Kakashi, hyper aware of his sensei's almost painful stillness. Maybe...?
“He's pulling down who? You? That child has more potential in his little finger than you have in your entire body brat. Or is that the problem? Jealous of your teammate Uchiha? Jealous he might actually make his dream reality and you'll be left in his wake, staring up at him? Isn't that the tradition in Leaf, to immortalize your Kage's on a mountain?”
/There's the killing intent. / Harry thought as the small clearing was filled with teen angst ridden killer intent. The sensei was finally paying attention now- it only took the little Uchiha going ballistic to do that. /Maybe now Kakashi will actually look at his team. /
Harry waved his hand dismissively as if the intent didn't bother him. Hells, he learned from 'Demon of the Mist' Zabuza, not that the Leaf team knew that. “Aww...did I hit a nerve? Too bad kid, life sucks and then you die. There is no such thing as fairness, equality, or freedom. Learn that lesson now and save yourself pain later.”
Sakura was making a strange gurgling sound in the background. The shock of Mr. Perfect not being so perfect and someone talking in such a condescending manner to said boy managed to temporarily break her. /Hmm...cat choking on a hairball mixed with indignant fan girl and a hint of shock. Not bad. /
“Kid, get your head out of your ass.” Harry cast one last glare on the sullen Uchiha before turning it on Kakashi. “Ninja-san, as their teacher you are supposed to notice this crap and nip it in the bud. I thought Leaf didn't condone Mist-style exams and training?” Harry's lips twisted in disdain, mildly contemptuous of the jounin. Turning curtly on his heel, the teen started to leave, down the road towards Wave.
Naruto looked around at his team before calling after Harry's retreating back. “Hey wait. You never finished explaining how you could see where we were.” He was desperate to stop the one person who truly believed he could obtain his dream, and actually defended it, from leaving.
Harry frowned sadly to himself before turning, still walking down the road, to wave jauntily at Naruto. “I'll see you again Naruto Uzumaki and I'll explain the whole concept to you then. Keep your chin up kiddo, work forwards and one day you'll become the Kage.” he could almost see Naruto's beaming grin through his scarf, as it was the future Hokage's loud “Believe it!” echoed pleasantly in his ears even after disappearing into the tree tops.

1 - Fool's gold
2 - I'm not going to try and pretend I'm Japanese or have any real understanding of the language / culture. The suffixes are used more as a clue to the language used than anything else. Plus, I figure I can't completely screw those up in such a way that I will offend anyone. All jutsu will be written in English. Especially if (when) I wind up making them up. I have a chakra wielding wizard, it seems inevitable.
So, how'd it turn out? I said I would update before the year was out and I'm actually starting Chapter 4 now. You should (muses willing) have a second one up by Thanksgiving.