Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Shattered Hearts ❯ Orochimaru ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

R_S: A challenge fic from Finalement. And I guess it's sorta dedicated to her, since it was she who sanctioned it. I'm writing it in two or three parts, so it won't be very long. I believe this will mark the first multi-chapter fic I've ever finished. And it wasn't even my idea. Oh dear…
Finalement: I hope this meets your standards! ^_^
 
 
Shattered Hearts
Orochimaru
 
He'd made his offer, and she'd refused. She'd made her choice, squeezed his heart in a vice until it cracked, shattering into a million jagged shards. All he needed was a healing jutsu on his arms, one that was quite simple for a woman of her stature to perform, and then she'd see them again, hold them in her arms. But she was a hypocrite.
 
“Sasuke,” his stoic apprentice looked up at him awaiting his orders, “go outside with Kabuto and train.” With silent nods the two left him alone in that room, alone to wallow in his thoughts.
 
Yes Tsunade, the conniving dissembler she was, had performed. She chose to do exactly what he himself had, after she'd so adamantly discouraged. She could have chosen him, her close friend and companion, and her family. But no, she'd chosen power. She could have come with him, started a family in his village of sound while he watched from afar, secretly… dare he say it, pining.
 
He only wanted her to be happy. In his cold, heartless being, he'd found the room to worry for her. He would be willing to watch her live the life she had always dreamt of, even if it meant he would not be a part of it, though he so wanted to be. He would allow her to live on with that lover of hers, Dan. He would have allowed her to marry him, fuck him, have his children, die with him at a ripe old age. And he'd watch them, the whole time secretly knowing that it was he who belonged in Dan's place, deserved to be there.
 
She didn't want him, though, and probably never had. At least, she never had in their adult lives. Of course, Tsunade had more than glanced at him when they worked together on the same team, he'd considered her an option as well. But that was long ago and far away, when they were young and foolish gennin. They were older now, more mature, and well aware that they could never be together. Such was not the way of the ninja. One always took a lover at the risk of heartbreak, at the risk that they would one day awake to find that their darling had not returned from a mission and perhaps never would. That was life, but many a youthful and naïve kunoichi dreamt of a fairytale adventure between her and a fellow peer, and a select few shinobi were foolish enough to go along for the ride.
 
But all great ninjas must grow up; at least, they must if they wish to survive. Those kunoichi and their shinobi would experience loss and suffering, forcing them to mature, forcing them to discard such foolish matters as the heart and love and marriage, and accept what is truly important. Some would die; others would move on to become chuunin. And then some of these ninja would die, leaving even more wretched agony in their wake. And those left, the select few shinobi and kunoichi strong enough to survive, they would go on to become jounin, probably never experiencing love like that again, and ultimately meet death as well.
 
Standing, he sauntered forward and peered out of his dark room. Silently he watched his apprentice, wondering if perhaps he felt the same things, the same pain. Orochimaru was not blind; he'd seen the young girl that stood a member of team seven. Such a sweet, pretty young thing and completely devoted to Sasuke she was. Like Tsunade had been, only stronger. She even shared her mentor's spunk, as Sasuke shared his own's dark solitude.
 
Would history repeat itself? Was the younger Uchiha destined to follow in his footsteps, turn his back on the one girl who ever truly loved him and whom he ever truly loved? For that matter, did he even love the girl? Did he even love this Sakura? If asked of whether he had feelings for the kunoichi, he'd surely deny it. Orochimaru ignored his even now. But perhaps he was wrong, and his successor truly saw the girl as nothing but a nuisance.
 
He moved deeper into the room cursing his being for thinking, cursing that foul woman for making him think. Love. He scoffed at the very idea. He strived for power, immortality. Love was nowhere on his radar. He needed no one, save for Sasuke Uchiha, but even then he did not need Sasuke, merely his body. This woman had no power over him; she was only in the way. As the Hokage she had to die, and die she would, a slow and agonising demise. He couldn't allow her to control him.
 
And that is why he would make her pay for choking his heart in that vice.
 
She would suffer, drop to her knees and attempt to collect those tiny pieces of his love. But she would not- could not- fix her destruction, for the sharpened fragments would slice her hands and through those hands cut into her very soul. Ah but she was determined, his Tsunade, and she would continue to gather his heart, only for the searing pain to stop her, forcing her to drop them once more.
 
Or least she would have, had his heart not already been so broken in the first place.
 
End of Chapter
 
 
R_S: Chapter 2 should be up relatively soon. I've never written a Naruto fanfiction before, let alone about a coupling I don't even go out of my way to read, so I hope I'm not fucking up too badly. Please leave me a review to help!