Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Snippets of Dawn ❯ Flowers ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Theme: Flowers
Characters: Itachi, Kisame and Mikoto


It was a sight to see: two powerful criminals walking through the woods with one holding a bouquet of flowers. Oddly enough the blood-red hue of the carnations matched the color of the clouds decorating their black cloaks. The two men stopped at an abandoned temple where the shorter man laid the bouquet on the ground and prayed.

After the silent prayers were over, the larger of the two turned to his partner and asked, “Why carnations, why the same thing every year?”

Itachi didn’t even turn to face his partner as he spoke, “Today is my mother’s birthday and she liked carnations. They were her favorite.”

“You’re a very complicated man Itachi,” Kisame snorted. “You are the very son who murdered his mother, yet you still honor her. Do you regret killing her?”

“No, I don’t regret it. In fact, I never loved my mother. I hated her.”

“Then why give her flowers on her birthday?”

Itachi turned to face Kisame, his sharingan eyes revealing no emotions. “Because she gave birth to me, because she gave birth to my brother and because she loved my younger brother so much that when I killed her, he turned all that love into hate. That is the reason why I still honor her.”

Kisame laughed at Itachi’s cryptic answer. “You certainly are a better man than I am.”

“I am merely a man who is giving my mother the only honor she deserves.”

“Indeed. Just make sure that you don’t put any flowers on my grave if I happen to die before you do.”

“And what would you prefer instead?”

“A bottle of sake!” Kisame said with a toothy grin.

Itachi smirked as he walked ahead gaining as much ground between himself and the temple where he put the flowers. “Let’s go, we’ve wasted enough time here.”

The blood-red carnations rested peacefully in front of the shrine, brightening the landscape. One would think that the flowers were a symbol of gratitude hoping to bring happiness to souls of the departed. But there was no peace in the heavens where a trouble spirit wept at the utter cruelty of her son’s love. The lone woman hated this day where every year he would remind her of her faults and shortcomings with his twisted sense of honor. And every year he gave her an offering of her favorite flowers mixed with the bitter taste of hatred and spite, tearing her soul asunder.   End.