Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Somewhere to Belong ❯ Team Fifteen ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four: Team Fifteen
 
The next afternoon when Iruka came to the bridge with his pack full of supplies, he was in for a shock. Kakashi had gotten there before him! Gaping at him for a moment, the chunnin checked the time just to make sure he wasn't the one running behind, but as he looked at his watch, he saw that it was noon…exactly. Kakashi was sitting on the arch that hung over the bridge reading his favorite book from an infamous series. As Iruka arrived, Kakashi looked over the pages at him, and his eye curved into a smile.
 
“Good afternoon,” he greeted, noting the expression on Iruka's face, “Surprised to see me on time for once?”
 
“Well, you did say you'd try to be,” Iruka replied once he had recovered.
 
Kakashi leapt down from the arch and landed next to Iruka. The jounin was carrying his own pack that looked a bit lighter than Iruka's. The chunnin took a glance over his shoulder and wondered if he had over-packed. It had been a while since he had gone on any mission, even border patrol…but teaching young ninja the proper amount of supplies to bring on a mission was part of Iruka's job. Maybe the jounin just hadn't brought enough, he decided. Kakashi tucked his book into his back pouch and smiled at him.
 
“Shall we go, then?”
 
Iruka nodded. The two of them headed for the large entrance of the village. Once they had reached it, Iruka was about to take out his map, but Kakashi all ready seemed to know where they were going.
 
“Northeast is this way,” Kakashi said as Iruka bounded after him.
 
The jounin was fast, and Iruka had some trouble keeping up. It hadn't helped that his schedule had been getting so hectic lately with student assignments and mission room duty, leaving him with barely enough time to keep up his personal training and still be able to relax a bit now and then. At least compared to Kakashi, Iruka felt out of shape.
 
They traveled for more than an hour in silence. Iruka wasn't sure what to say to Kakashi- that, and he was feeling short of breath. Come on, Iruka, the chunnin thought to himself. You've got to keep your stamina up. You don't want Kakashi thinking you're weak…By the time two hours had passed, however, Kakashi noticed that his partner was slowing down. He landed on the next tree branch and stopped.
 
“Do you need a break?” he asked, “I know you're not used to this…If the pace is too fast-”
 
“I'm fine,” Iruka insisted stubbornly, “We should keep moving until we've reached the border.”
 
“If you say so,” Kakashi said, “but it is a long way. Let me know if you need to rest.”
 
With that, the jounin leapt from the branch and continued on his way. Iruka followed behind, panting hard and slightly regretting his decision. His pack seemed to be getting heavier by the second. It was pulling down on him like a giant weight on his back that he had to fight to lift with each jump. He grunted slightly as he bounded forward, sweat running down the sides of his face.
 
Kakashi glanced over his shoulder to see Iruka still lagging behind. He's pushing himself too hard, Kakashi thought, noticing the chunnin's red, sweat-soaked face. If he keeps going like this, he's going to-
 
With the next leap, Iruka's foot caught onto a tree limb clumsily before the exhausted chunnin felt a sudden rush of dizziness that caused him to fall forward. He collapsed from the tree and was falling head first towards the ground before a silver flash bounded off a nearby tree and caught him in midair. Kakashi lay the startled Iruka down on the forest floor.
 
“Ughh,” Iruka grunted.
 
“Looks like you overdid it,” Kakashi told him, “I think it's best if we stopped and rested a while, hmm?”
 
“I'm sorry…” the chunnin muttered embarrassedly.
 
Iruka felt like an idiot, but now even he couldn't deny that he needed a break. His head was still spinning.
 
“Look- you packed too much stuff,” Kakashi said with a smile in his eye as he relieved Iruka of his burden, slipping the pack from the chunnin's shoulders and out from underneath him.
 
“I did not,” Iruka protested, “I only brought what was necessary! I teach children what they need to bring on missions. I think I know what kind of things one should leave behind.”
 
Kakashi raised an eyebrow, but his voice stayed kind and calm.
 
“You're working off theory. When you're actually dragging around your `necessities,' you start to realize what you can and can't live without. It comes with experience. You'll learn over time.”
 
Listen to him, talking like he knows everything, Iruka thought bitterly, though he knew Kakashi was most likely right. He did have more experience after all. Iruka realized there was a lot he still had to learn even though he was suppose to be a teacher. He glanced at the older ninja, who was still supporting his upper body after removing the pack from underneath him. His arms were so strong and supportive. Strangely, being in them made Iruka feel more stable and secure. The academy teacher's face turned slightly red. What am I thinking? Kakashi was looking straight at him. The jounin seemed to have a hint of worry in his eye, but Iruka couldn't be sure. His face was so hard to read…
 
The Copy-Nin realized he was still holding Iruka up and put him down swiftly but gently. The chunnin raised his hand to his head and groaned as the throbbing slowed down.
 
“Are you going to be okay?” Kakashi asked him.
 
“Fine,” Iruka replied with a grunt, and then, looking up at the jounin's concerned face added, “Thank you.”
 
Kakashi nodded.
 
“Just tell me when you feel ready to leave…but don't rush yourself.”
 
Iruka managed a nod, but regretted it. The throbbing grew more painful. Iruka slowly closed his eyes, and before he knew it, he had drifted off to sleep. In his dreams, he was soaring through the sky, leaping higher than he ever thought possible. He could see Konoha below him, and as he felt the air whip against his face, he felt the joy of being home, yet, a strange loneliness when he realized that there was no one there waiting for him…
 
His eyes burst open suddenly. Somehow, he could still feel the wind on his face, and looking down, he suddenly realized that he was still bounding through the air! It was all ready after sunset, and the sky had just gone dark. Something was supporting the chunnin from underneath, and Iruka's face flushed red with the realization that Kakashi was carrying him on his back.
 
“Oh, you're awake,” Kakashi said, “Sorry…I tried to wake you, but you were practically out cold. I thought we should cover a bit more ground before we set up camp for the night. I hope you don't mind.”
 
Iruka didn't know what to say at first. The jounin was carrying not only him, but both of their packs as well. This did not make Iruka feel any better about himself, and the chunnin felt guilty for leaving Kakashi with such a burden.
 
“I can't believe I fell asleep,” Iruka muttered, “You can put me down; I feel better.”
 
Kakashi stopped and slowly lowered Iruka down. The chunnin's legs felt weak underneath him, but he managed to stand and support himself and his pack. Kakashi kept an arm on him until he was sure the chunnin was stable.
 
“Thanks,” Iruka told him.
 
“Don't worry about it,” Kakashi replied.
 
“Are we close to the border?” Iruka asked.
 
“Yes,” Kakashi replied, “but it would be best to set up camp outside of it, since that area would be too dangerous.”
 
“Okay…Just a little further, then?”
 
Kakashi nodded, and the two ninja leapt forward to continue on their way. Iruka still felt a bit drowsy, but he was alert enough to keep on moving without falling off another tree branch. I'm never going to get over that, he thought to himself mournfully. Before, he had been too out of it to feel nearly as embarrassed as he did now. He shot a glance at Kakashi now and then, but the jounin acted as if nothing had happened. To him, it was just another part of the mission, Iruka thought. To Iruka, however, it was the first time anyone had had to take care of him in a long while.
 
When they had gotten close enough to the border, they finally settled down for the night. Iruka took out his sleeping bag from his stuffed pack. It had been quite a while since he had slept outdoors. He was used to a comfortable bed, not the hard forest floor. And that wasn't his only complaint, either. Already, he longed for hot food rather than the cold food he had to eat since a fire might attract unwanted attention…and as he contemplated his situation, he realized he had taken a lot of other things for granted as well, including having a bathroom nearby rather than being forced to use the closest bush. At least he knew what types of plants were poisonous. He remembered this well from his time at the academy and his training as a gennin. Never again would he suffer from nasty rashes in unwanted places.
 
When did I become so spoiled? Iruka wondered, shaking his head. Despite his accidental nap earlier, the chunnin was still very worn out from the day and more than ready for bed. He and Kakashi ate their small dinners together, with few words spoken between them.
 
“I hate cold soup,” Iruka muttered.
 
Kakashi only shrugged.
 
“You get used to it. Makes you look forward to coming home.”
 
“Not much else to look forward to,” Iruka sighed.
 
He wasn't really sure if he meant it. It was at least partly true, though. It wasn't as if anyone was really waiting for him, except maybe some of the kids at the academy. Most of them probably preferred tormenting a less strict substitute anyway. Iruka hardly felt missed. Kakashi smiled sadly.
 
“I know what you mean.”
 
There was no one anxiously awaiting his return, either, except maybe for Gai, who could never resist challenging his eternal rival on a constant basis. Even he treated Kakashi more like an enemy than a friend. Kakashi sighed as his discouraging inner self gave him an unnecessary reminder: Everyone who cares is dead.
 
There was a now-familiar silence between the two ninja. Kakashi finished his soup before Iruka could even see him pull down his mask. It would have been too dark to see the jounin's face clearly anyway. Iruka couldn't help but feel disappointed. Like everyone else, the chunnin was curious about what the Copy-Nin really looked like under the mask. Why did he always keep his face hidden?
 
Iruka gazed up at the sky and sighed. Naruto was probably settled down on some forest floor miles away, possibly finishing up his own meal, but more than likely already fast asleep. Iruka missed him terribly.
 
“Things just aren't the same without Naruto,” Iruka sighed.
 
Kakashi was quiet for a moment and then laughed softly.
 
“You're right- it's quieter.”
 
Iruka threw a twig at the jounin playfully. Kakashi blocked it easily.
 
“I'm sure he's doing fine,” he told the chunnin with a smile.
 
“Of course,” Iruka agreed, “Bet you're glad Jiraya's the one who has to deal with him now.”
 
“Sometimes,” Kakashi replied, “but other times, I wish I felt more…useful.”
 
He wasn't sure why he was admitting this. Somehow, it had just come out.
 
Useful?” Iruka asked, surprised, “What are you talking about? Out of all the ninja in the village, you're one of the ones that most definitely pulls his own weight. Konoha wouldn't be in this crisis if it had more ninja like you.”
 
Kakashi's face turned slightly pink beneath his mask at the compliment.
 
“Thank you…That's very kind of you to say, but-”
 
He paused. Iruka waited patiently, curious about what the jounin had to say…but Kakashi decided that he had gone far enough and didn't really want to continue.
 
“Ah, never mind.”
 
Iruka's face fell in disappointment and sympathy. He knew Kakashi was hiding something and felt bad that the jounin was reluctant to let it out.
 
“What is it?” Iruka asked sensitively, “Don't you have faith in yourself as a ninja?”
 
“I did once,” was all Kakashi said in response.
 
Iruka looked at him sadly. He had sensed Kakashi's depression that day at the memorial stone, but he hadn't known it had been this bad. Why was Sharingan Kakashi, one of Konoha's most famous ninja, doubting himself? Was it because of what had happened to his team? He couldn't possibly blame himself for that…could he?
 
“You know what happened with Sasuke wasn't your fault,” Iruka told him, “It was his own decision, not anything you did!”
 
“I know,” Kakashi replied, frustration in his voice, “That's what everyone says, but if I really believed them…I wouldn't feel the way I do now.”
 
“Kakashi-sensei…”
 
Iruka wasn't sure what to say. What could you tell someone who couldn't see the truth…or rather, refused to see it? The chunnin didn't know how to convince him that he didn't deserve all of the blame that he had inflicted upon himself.
 
The Copy-Nin stared down at the ground almost absent-mindedly. What was making him admit any of this? He knew it wasn't normal for him to be so open. Usually, he kept all of his feelings cramped inside him, but somehow, like before, when he spoke to Iruka, some of the compressed tension seemed to be released little by little. He felt no different than he would had he been speaking to his inner self.
 
“I'm sorry,” Kakashi said, shaking his head as he snapped out of it, “It's nothing for you to worry about. Really…”
 
“You're wrong,” Iruka said suddenly.
 
Kakashi stared at him, surprised.
 
“W-what?”
Iruka bit his lip. The words had burst out of his mouth without him thinking, but he had meant them nonetheless. He paused a moment before continuing.
 
“I said `you're wrong,' Kakashi-sensei,” the chunnin repeated slowly, “You might think this is just your problem, but…we're a team now. Being part of a team means that you don't have to face your problems by yourself.”
 
The jounin flinched as the Yondaime's words echoed through his head. If you ever need someone to talk to, Kakashi, I'll listen. Teamwork means not leaving your friends to endure their burdens alone. He remembered how his gentle blue eyes had stared at him the way Iruka's brown eyes did now, even thought he couldn't see them as clearly in the moonlight. They still felt the same, comforting and full of concern.
 
“Funny- you sound like someone I use to know…”
 
“Really? Who?” Iruka asked curiously.
 
“My sensei.”
Iruka was silent. He knew very well who Kakashi's sensei had been. He still remembered the night of the Kyuubi attack and the pain he had seen in Kakashi's eyes as they had watched the Yondaime die. It seemed like so long ago now…Iruka was twice as old as he had been back then, but he his heart still harbored his own pain from that night thirteen years ago. He knew Kakashi must have still felt it too.
“He always stressed teamwork,” the jounin told him, “and that's what I taught my own students as well. Funny how they never get it at first…when it's the most important part of being a ninja.”
Iruka nodded.
“Your sensei was very wise.”
Kakashi smiled beneath his mask.
 
“So are you,” he said softly.
 
Now it was Iruka who turned red. He took another sip of his soup before looking back up at Kakashi carefully. Even in the near darkness, he could see Kakashi's cheerful expression. Any sign of the pain he had briefly expressed was gone. Iruka smiled back at him slowly. Despite their history of distantness, the two ninja seemed to be getting along fine. Iruka was glad that at least some trust existed between them. Kakashi's opening up to him had proved that, he decided. The chunnin had always been good at reading people. It might not have been in the job description, but it was part of being a teacher. If Kakashi hadn't trusted him a little, he wouldn't have admitted anything along the lines of feeling useless or showed any other signs of weakness, even for a moment. Ninja didn't do that. To do so would be a threat to their survival. Kakashi had let his guard down and momentarily exposed his inner thoughts instead of hiding behind a fake smile and the mask that he always wore. Looking at the jounin, Iruka realized that he trusted Kakashi as well. The jounin had taken care of him, after all.
 
Iruka finished up the rest of his meal and stretched.
 
“Well, I'm going to sleep,” Iruka said finally, “It's getting late.”
 
“Right…” Kakashi replied, but his voice drifted as if his mind were lost somewhere else.
 
Iruka climbed into his sleeping bag and made himself as comfortable as he possibly could, which as not much. He sighed as he wiggled away from a stone that was digging into the middle of his back before he settled down at last.
 
“Good night,” he said to Kakashi.
 
“Good night, Iruka-sensei,” came the reply.
 
A pause.
 
“Just `Iruka' is fine.”
 
And the chunnin went to sleep.