Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Story of Stories ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kaguya Kala slowly knelt by a snow-white lily, her slender fingers almost shaking. The trail of her younger brother's footprints had led her here, to the misty stream hidden in the woods. She had no clue as to his whereabouts now.
 
“Kimimaro-chan...” the fifteen-year-old muttered, desperately fighting back tears. She didn't know what was worse; losing her clan, or losing her brothers. “Fuehrer-san...” She picked the lily and put in her pocket, closing her eyes to fight back the oncoming tears.
 
Someone pale watched her from the shadows, his newfound follower unconscious at his feet from the mark on his body.
 
~
(3 years later)
A grey-haired young woman woke from a light slumber, her sea-green eyes fluttering around to check her surroundings. She rose quickly, silently, and headed east towards the Village Hidden in the Leaves.
 
~
 
“Ohayo gosaimasu!” a young teenager with braided brown hair called as Kala entered the gate to Konoha. “Welcome to Konoha!” A beaming smile sat firmly situated on her innocent face, just below purple eyes and an endearing nose. Black-rimmed glasses were half-askew from the girl's energy.
 
“Ohayo,” Kala muttered, head ducking down instinctively. “How are you?” She glanced up again, quickly, to see the Leaf headband under the girl's bangs. Half her mind wandered, only partly listening to the girl's words...
 
Konohagakure. The Mist Village's strongest ally, they had sent their available Jounin to help counteract the threat of her clan. Her clan. Her brothers, her. Their family. Everyone.
 
“I'm Lorika Tamer, and I'm a prophet. I'm still a Genin-I graduated from the Academy yesterday-so I haven't yet been given a team. I'm hoping I'll be put with my friends, though-their names are Kai and Brand.”
 
The last man she had fought-not the one that started the fire, that was Fuehrer's man, because he was Konohagakure's famous Copy-Nin-had been an amazingly agile, yet quite dull, Jounin dressed all in green spandex and orange legwarmers. She didn't know if he had died or merely been unconscious; either result would have been the same, unless someone had dragged him out of the burning city.
 
“The Jounin squad leader I want-well, I'd love Tsunade-sama to teach me, but she's the Hokage.” Kala stiffened slightly at the title. “So...after her, I'd probably want Kakashi-sensei.” The Kaguya stiffened even more. “So, who are you? You're not from here, huh?”
 
“Run, Kala!” Fuehrer yelled. “Get Kimimaro out of here!” The girl's eyes had searched for her younger brother frantically, manically, but he was nowhere to be found. “What are you-WHERE'S KIMIMARO?!” Fuehrer had yelled, catching on, as his enemy fled.
 
“I'm...Kala,” the Kaguya answered, playing it safe and not stating her clan name. “No, I'm not from around here...I wander around...looking for work.”
 
“Oh,” said the girl-Tamer, Kala reminded herself. She couldn't go forgetting names if she was going to stay a while. “Well, what kind of work?”

”I...hunt,” Kala answered. “An extra pair of eyes, here, some more ears there. Ninja work.” Tamer nodded.
 
“Ah, I see now!” she exclaimed. Kala stiffened. Had she been found out in some way by this young girl? “You're a rogue ninja! Cool! Do you know, Ero-Sannin lives here? He's a rogue ninja, too! Is that a part of why you came, too? To be safe here?” Kala nodded, deciding to play it safe for the moment. “That's cool.” The girl smiled at her, a gesture so completely trusting that Kala wondered if the girl could have borne to bear it if she knew who she was smiling at. “Well, come on. I'll show you the Ichiraku Ramen Shop, and I'll find you a place to stay while you're here. Follow me!” The girl turned around and skipped off.
 
The Jounin in the legwarmers had turned to run-and that was his mistake, too. Kala had sent a femur through his ribcage before he had gone three feet, and he fell spurting blood.
 
She couldn't kill this girl, this Genin, who had done nothing to hurt her. Slowly, Kala followed the girl's swaying braid deeper into Konoha.