Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Tails of a Fox, Claws of a Tiger ❯ Tale of the Lord Beasts, Origin of the Watch-Weres ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Ch 2: Tale of the Lord Beasts, Origin of the Watch-Weres
 
Dawn came much too early for Naruto. He and his tigress guardian Shar'rei where having such good dreams that they refused to wake. But all good things must end and soon found themselves drenched as the ANBU from last night used a Suiton jutsu to get the pair up. “Try something like that again pervert and I will ensure that you never reproduce,” said the angry tigress as she shook the water out of her fur.
 
“I told you Kakashi, like all felines they don't get along with water very well,” said Zenith with a light chuckle as he proceeded to stamp out the fire from the night before.
 
“It got them up didn't it? Besides I want to get going quickly. Knowing Hizashi as well as I do, he probably had the SAR team out before dawn tracking us down,” said Kakashi seriously.
 
“I thought the head of the Hyuuga clan was Hyuuga Hiashi?” remarked a now curious Zenith.
 
“Hizashi is my uncle and Otou-san's twin brother. He is head of the branch family and is the main family's chief bodyguard,” said the young Hyuuga girl nervously.
 
“Ah, and you being kidnapped would be a big old stain on little bro's perfect record,” remarked Zenith with a smirk.
 
“No, the one thing I've learned about Hizashi the few times I've worked with him is that he could care less about the divide between the main and branch houses. The only thing that matters to him is the protection of his clan and the village. The kidnapping of his niece would affect him as much as someone kidnapping his own child. So you can understand why I want to meet up with them as quickly as possible,” said Kakashi.
 
“The father is most dangerous when tracking down his wayward young,” said Zenith knowingly.
 
“Exactly,” said the Jonin gravely.
 
 
After a quick breakfast of field rations provided by Kakashi and salted pork jerky provided Zenith, the group headed back towards Konoha. Zenith was in the lead followed by Naruto and Hinata riding on the backs of Shar'rei and Tela respectively, with Kakashi bringing up the rear in case the bastards from Kumo had reinforcements waiting for them nearby.
 
Zenith soon found himself walking next Naruto. The cub was looking up at him curiously. “If you have a question cub, ask, but be ready cause you might not like the answer,” he said with a roguish smile.
 
“Zenith-sama…”
 
“Zenith or Zen cub, no but those two call me Zenith-sama,” he said with a smile motioning towards the two tigresses.
 
“Ano Zen, I wanted to know. That term the ANBU called you, Watch something, what does that mean?” asked Naruto curiously.
 
Zenith sighed and looked over realizing that the Hyuuga heir was now riding beside Naruto, the young cub obviously just as curious as her blond comrade. Zenith gave a quick discrete look to the two tigresses hoping to get some advice. “It is your story to tell Zenith-sama, how you wish to tell it is up to you,” was all Tela had to say.
 
“Remember the advice of your Otuo-san, better the truth now then trouble later,” said Shar'rei sagely.
 
Zenith nodded resignedly; there was no way around it this time. If he was going help the boy, he needed to be honest as possible with him while he still could. He was well aware of the Hokage's law about the Kyuubi no Kitsune and if he wasn't allowed to reveal to the cub what really happened then… 'No, I will make this work no matter what!' he said to himself ending that train of thought. Then he turned toward the cubs again and both were looking at him eagerly. “Watch-Were; that is what the ANBU called me. It is the term used to describe decedents of the Jinchuuriki of the three Beast Lords. Spirits of great power that had over time become violent and destructive; their rein of terror was comparable to the Kyuubi's path of destruction five years ago and like the Kyuubi, no one knew why they attacked. For the longest time, the three Beast Lords had been sagely guardians until one night they just attacked.”
 
“H-how come no one ever heard about these Beast Lords?” asked Hinata shyly.
 
“Because the people they attacked faded from the world long ago. The people they attacked were in fact the predecessors to todays shinobi. They were warriors and protectors of a sort, they were called the Followers of the Moon,” said Zenith sadly.
 
Hinata's eyes went wide at this. Her mother, when the weather was bad, would tell Hinata stories about the Followers of the Moon. They were spiritual warriors that followed the tenets of the three legendary Moon Gods, even today a few people in Konoha still prayed to them for luck and blessings. “I'm glad to see that you recognize the name young Hyuga, it is good to know that not everything was lost from that time,” said Zenith with a warm smile.
 
“Kaa-san would tell me stories about the Followers of the Moon and of the Moon Gods to make me feel better. The stories about Lunanara were always my favorite,” she said softly with an embarrassed blush.
 
“She was always my favorite too, mainly because I owe her my life more times then I can count,” said Zenith as he fingered his pendent.
 
“Who were the other gods?” asked Naruto rudely his interest now peeked.
 
Zenith just smiled. “So full of questions. That is a good thing Naruto, never stop asking them. And to answer your question, the other gods were Vampris the Wise, who's the god of the new Moon, and Lunanara's husband, the Warrior God Cainus. For years, the priest the Moon Gods protected mankind, but their end came when the Beast Lords attacked, wiping out nearly every Followers of the Moon temple and village. The horror only stopped when the Beast Lords made their way to the Triad, the holiest of the Gods of the Moon temples because it was that temple alone that was dedicated to all three of them and was said to be the birthplace of the religion. The Triad monastery, on the night of the attack, was filled with pilgrims because there was to be an eclipse that night, and eclipses were among the Followers of the Moon most sacred events.
 
The loss of life was insurmountable but the tide was turned when the Masters arrived.”
 
“Masters?” asked Naruto.
 
“They were like the Hokage's for the Followers of the Moon. The most powerful follower of each god was chosen to lead their people for amongst them they were the strongest, wisest, and most devote of the congregation. It was through there actions that the Lord Beasts were contained and sealed away, with in the bodies of their newly born children,” said Zenith sadly.
 
“NANI?!” yelled Naruto who was so shocked actually slid off Shar'rei's back.
 
“T-t-t-that's terrible” said Hinata with heartfelt sadness.
 
“Really, I always thought it was brave” said Zenith with mock confusion.
 
“HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?! THEY SEALED MONSTERS INSIDE THERE OWN CHILDREN!” exclaimed Naruto.
 
“And if you were put in the same situation what would you do? What would either of you do?” asked Kakashi who had been listening from afar.
 
“W-w-what do you mean ANBU-sama?” asked Hinata cautiously.
 
“Exactly what I said. If either of you found yourselves in a situation where in order to stop something as powerful as say the Kyuubi, you had to seal the monster inside a newborn whose yet unused chakra pathways could handle the influx. Now would you use your own child or ask another parent to sacrifice their child when you wouldn't use your own?” asked the ANBU captain seriously. The two children looked at each other for a moment and then to Zenith looking for an answer, but didn't get one. “I thought not. The title of a leader, be it Master or Hokage, means nothing unless the person who holds it leads by example. If the Masters weren't willing to use their own children then how could they ask someone else to do so? By making that sacrifice they showed why they were chosen to lead and why others chose to follow them.”
 
“Well put Kakashi. I must say that I'm impressed,” said Zenith with a knowing smirk.
 
“I had a good sensei,” was all the stoic ninja said.
 
“He must have been a wise man. Anyway that was the start of how the Watch-Weres came to be. Over time, the three Jinchuuriki began to suffer under the influence of the monsters within. To keep that influence contained, the Masters crafted pendants cut from precious jewels and blessed by the respective gods to contain the beast and contain their vast powers. Many believed that was the end of it but fate has a sense of ironic humor.
 
Long after the attack and after the three Jinchuuriki had grown up and come into their own, married, and started families of their own. One day the Jinchuuriki of Lunanara, who contained the Wind Tiger Lord Beast, was traveling with his wife and son when they were ambushed by bandits. He fought hard and was able to buy his son time to escape before the bandits finally subdued him. What he didn't know was that his son didn't flee, but hid nearby and watched as his father took the beating of the bandits. When the leader was about to make the final blow it happened. The beast inside his son awoke and proceeded to lay waste to the bandits.
 
When the dust had finally cleared, the Jinchuuriki of the Wind Tiger looked on in shock at his son. His body had been covered in the same black and white fur he would grow when he entered his battle form. But the blood lust and killing intent weren't that of a human. This was the thing his father and teachers had warned him could happen if his pendent was ever removed or damaged. The Jinchuuriki quickly pulled his own pendent off himself and put it on his son letting its effects quell the bestial instincts that flooded him,” Zenith said with a sigh.
 
“The first Watch-Were?” asked Kakashi.
 
“Yes, after that the Jinchuuriki of the Lightning Bat Lord Beast told of a similar incident with her son having manifested a bestial form similar to her transformation and likewise for the Jinchuuriki of the Stone Wolf Lord Beast and they were merely the first of six born Watch-Weres,” said Zenith.
 
“Born Watch-Weres?” asked Naruto curiously.
 
Zenith looked at the young cub surprised that he picked up on that, he was sure Kakashi would have been the one to ask. “That is what a Watch-Were is called when one or both parents are Watch-Weres. It wasn't until later that we discovered the turning ability we developed and how some of the more colorful rumors about our kind came about,” said Zenith with a chuckle.
 
“So you don't bite or scratch innocent people turning them in to ravenous monsters during the full moon” asked the Copy-Nin rhetorically.
 
“If the process were that simple every person who ever fought a Watch-Were would become one within a month. No the process of turning or Initiation is rather complex. Essentially it requires a mixing of blood and chakra between the Watch-Were and soon to be apprentice and is only done under the most serious of circumstances or if the Initiate fully understands what they're getting into. The process is taxing to both involved but it can stave off immediate death allowing the change within the Initiate to heal what damage was done,” said Zenith seriously.
 
“Hmm, I see why then you try to stay out of Shinobi affairs. A hidden village with a being who could suddenly give great power to even the greenest of Genin would be a valuable asset. So why are you now helping Konoha?” asked Kakashi.
 
“Our reason's are our own and will remain so until Zenith-sama says otherwise,” said Tela with a growl.
 
Zenith let off a hearty chuckle at that remark when a scent hit his nose, the distinct sent of burnt ozone that would follow the use of an electric jutsu. “Shar'rei, Tela; guard the cubs! Kakashi with me,” he yelled rushing forward the ANBU captain close behind.
 
The scent led them too a small clearing were they found a hastily concealed body. The pair quickly scanned the area making sure it was clear before signaling for the tigresses to join them. Once they regrouped, Zenith and Kakashi quickly uncovered the body, one that Kakashi quickly recognized even without Hinata's gasp of “nii-san”. There before them unconscious was a heavily battered Hyuga Neji. “Well, looks like we caught up the Search and Rescue team,” said Kakashi.
 
“Yeah the question though is who caught up with them?” asked Zenith, realizing that the journey to Konoha would not be as easy as he hoped.
 
 
Hinata watched with sadness as Zenith examined her cousin. She wasn't the most gifted when it came to reading people, but even her less then stellar abilities could see the concern in the knitted brows of the Watch-Were. “Z-Z-Zenith-sama will Neji-kun be alright?”
 
Zenith looked the young Hyuga heir and sighed heavily. “Well the good news is that the burn he sustained is minor and not life threatening, but the bad news is that his chakra is so suppressed by a Genjutsu that if we don't get if off him soon he will die.”
 
“So just release the jutsu like you did with us!” exclaimed Naruto furiously.
 
“That's the problem, it won't release. The only reason it wouldn't release is damage or interference to the chakra coils. One of the few things I know that could do that is this,” with that Zenith slipped a hutting knife from his belt and slid it under the bandage around Neji's forehead and sliced it off revealing the Caged Bird curse seal known to the Hyuga branch families. The seal in question at the moment was glowing with a sickly green light.
 
“What is that?” asked Naruto with curious concern.
 
“The Caged Bird seal of the Hyuga branch family. Every Hyuga branch family member when they reach a certain age has this burned on to their forehead. It is the safeguard that maintains the security of the clan's bloodline limit, the Byakugan. Should a branch family member die, then the seal activates destroying the brain and sealing the information that could be gained from a post mortem examination. In addition, it also acts as a leash keeping the branch clan members in line. Any main family members can use a specific chant to activate the seal causing great pain to any branch family member that gets out of line,” said Zenith with sad disgust. “Personally I find the whole thing barbaric and outdated. Unless something changes, there is going to be a major revolt from the branch family members.”
 
Hinata looked distraught, few people knew of this ancient clan tradition, but out of nowhere this stranger came and seemed to know everything about it. 'Could his powers let him see into my mind and pull the information of it like a thief in the night,' thought the young heir to herself. Her fears were waylaid with a smile from Zenith.
 
“No, I don't read minds, but I am well versed in seals cub. My maternal grandfather, who was a sealing master, was commissioned some years ago by an unknown Hyuga Main family member to find a way to reverse the seal and was given all the information he could on it, its application, and the power needed to use or apply it. He studied it up until his death and he had come very close to a way of removing the seal. He had done enough to allow a novice like me to finish it and although it is not the most refined of techniques it does work,” he said calmly.
 
“Not that that isn't fascinating but what does it have to do with the boys condition?” asked Kakashi seriously.
 
“Everything, the Genjutsu used on him was distorted by his seal and thus put him into this state. The only way to save him is to remove the seal and then release the jutsu. The only problem is that the technique I created to do so can only be done by one of the main house bloodline,” said Zenith resignedly letting that tidbit sink in.
 
Kakashi looked at Hinata realizing what the Watch-Were was implying. “You realize what you are asking her to do don't you, to go against her clan, her family, her entire way of life,” he demanded.
 
“Yes it is a burden to bear, but it is her choice. If she releases the seal, then the boy can tell us what happened and what the situation is with the SAR team. If she doesn't then…”
 
“DON'T TALK LIKE HINATA-CHAN IS NOT HERE!” yelled Naruto interrupting Zenith. “What do the two of you know about this decision, nothing that's what! You talk about this like she isn't here. But she is, so tell her what she needs to know to make her decision!”
 
The two adults looked at the young child surprised by his outburst. How did one so young become so wise? 'From the mouths of babes…' thought Zenith to himself. “I'm sorry Naruto and you are right this is Hinata's decision,” he said aloud with a small sigh.
 
The young Hyuuga heir blushed deeply, few people ever stood up for her in her life and to have the person she most admired to do so… well any sane person would blush under the circumstances.
 
Zenith spent the next few minutes explaining as simply as possible what she needed to do and the possible consequences of the procedure. The seals used were standard, but put together in a very complex pattern. The amount of chakra was small, but had to be molded just right or the procedure wouldn't work. Hinata only had a finite amount of chakra, so they would have one shot or Neji would die.
 
“S-s-so how dose this work?” asked the young heir having decided to at least attempt to save her cousin.
 
“Well the series of seals is way too complex for me to teach you in the length of time we have. So what we will do is link ourselves through our chakra and make it so what one person does, the other will follow,” said Zenith as he readied the area around Neji's body for what had to be done.
 
“Is that safe?” asked Kakashi skeptically.
 
“Relatively, it is like forging chakra strings only instead of attaching it to weapons you attach it to another person,” said Zenith reassuringly.
 
The procedure took at least ten minutes of prep work and another five for Zen and Hinata to link their chakra. “Okay cub, now don't worry and focus on molding the chakra, I will do all of the work,” said Zenith calmly as he stood at the foot of Neji's still body.
 
“Hai,” was all the nervous heir could muster as she stood opposite the Watch-Were. Slowly Zenith brought his hands up forming the Bird seal, Hinata's hands fallowing a fraction of a second later. Zenith carefully shifted to the next sign slowly picking up speed allowing the Hyuuga's hands to get used to and build up to the speed needed to perform the jutsu. Before long both pairs of hands were nothing but blurs of motion, even Kakashi was lucky enough to only get a good look at every third hand sign the pair performed. Then Zenith slipped into the final sign, another Bird seal. Zenith severed their link and looked up at the young heir, her face a mask of cold concentration. “Kaiin Jutsu: Caged Bird Release,” she called before dropping her left hand and position her right index and middle perfectly straight channeling the chakra she had collected into them causing a green glow to emanate from the fingers. Then with speed that only came from tutoring in the Gentle Fist style pulled her hand back and jabbed down towards the `X' mark in the center of Neji's forehead and called “KAI!” as her fingers made contact.
 
Hinata watched in awe as her chakra flowed into Neji's seal. The `X' sign on the mark began to spin rapidly before slowing and finally stopping now forming a cross. The entire seal glowed brightly before vanishing. Zenith quickly ran over and focused his chakra before taping Neji on the head.
 
“Release.”
 
With that the young Neji's eyes popped open and said in a horse voice, “Kumo Nin attacked the SAR team,” before the young man collapsed into unconsciousness.
 
Zenith chuckled to himself. “Well that's just great. The rescuees have now become the rescuers,” he said.
 
Kakashi looked over at the Watch-Were. “You do have backup plan I hope,” the Copy-nin deadpanned.
 
“Yeah, wing it like I always do,” Zenith responded with a smirk as he began formulating what could be the resemblance of a plan. “And hope luck is with us.”
 
A/n: Okay, let me just say that this chapter was a bitch to write and resembled pulling teeth from jittery two year old, but it got done. Next time: Strength of a Tiger, Heart of a Hero: True power of the Watch-Were Revealed.