Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Gift ❯ Wizards in Winter ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3: Wizards in Winter

Song: “Wizards in Winter” by Trans-Siberia Orchestra

I was a horrible girlfriend. No one else seemed to think so but me. Sasuke never complained and our relationship was great. At least, on the outside it felt great. We held hands, kissed and went on dates like normal couples did. But that’s about as deep as the relationship got.

I partly blamed it on our busy schedules. Shortly after we started going out, Sasuke joined the baseball team and I started tennis. Our team practices kept us busy during the week and even on some weekends. It seemed the only times we talked were the few minutes we had in the halls, lunch and the rare times we would talk on the phone; if we finished our homework early.

The other wedge in our relationship was more of a problem with me. I still had the bad habit of comparing my bond with Sasuke to the one I had with Angel. I knew it was a problem when I looked forward to having my evening talks with Angel over talking to my boyfriend. It’s just that Sasuke didn’t hold a candle to Angel. None of the kisses, hugs or private moments I’d had with Sasuke moved me the same way Angel’s touch could; and that was only that one time. Closing my eyes, I could almost feel my heart flutter when I remembered the night Angel held me in his arms. When I tried to regain those feelings with any of the times I’ve spent with Sasuke, there just wasn’t the magic.

I had considered voicing these concerns to Angel, but I didn’t want him to know how much I missed his touch. Telling Ino was a definite no and when I had asked my parents in a vague, round-about way the only thing my mother said was, “Sakura, you’re still young. Give it time.” The advice wasn’t much help and my father only gave me an apathetic shrug. Gee, thanks Dad. I gave myself a mental reminder to add tampons to the grocery list when it was his week to get groceries.

Thinking that once school was over we would have more time, I quashed my insecurities. Angel had told me that I had to give Sasuke a chance to get to know him. So I fell into place with the routine we had. And though our routine didn’t give us enough time with each other, it was sometimes worth it for the rare smiles I received whenever Sasuke saw me after a long day at school.

Before I knew it, summer vacation was already upon us and I was looking forward to having more time to spend with Sasuke. On the last day of class, I found myself sitting in the park with my boyfriend and Naruto.

“Man, we’re finally out of school. I can’t wait to slack off.”

“You slack off in school Naruto. I’m surprised they let you pass all of your classes,” I said in annoyance. It was strange how Shikamaru and Naruto could both sleep through class, but get the best grades. I actually had to study and work hard for mine.

Sasuke turned towards Naruto to ask, “So what are you going to do this summer? Walk the earth?”

“For your information Sasuke, I got a job.”

“Where? Working at that ramen shop a few blocks away?”

Naruto turned to Sasuke. “Hey! How did you guess? But what are you guys going to do?”

“I’m doing some volunteer work at the hospital,” I answered proudly.

“Wow, Sakura-chan! That’s awesome!”

I never was able to get Naruto to drop the pet name. At first he did it to spite Sasuke, but he had gotten so used to calling me ‘Sakura-chan,’ it stuck. Of course, that didn’t mean Sasuke wasn’t irritated whenever he said it.

“Watch whose girlfriend you’re calling ‘chan’ there,” Sasuke said as he draped an arm around my shoulders.

“Sorry about that Sasuke. Old habits die hard,” Naruto said as he rubbed the back of his head. “So what are you going to do this summer?”

Sasuke squeezed my shoulder before answering. “I’m going to be going away to a baseball training camp. Coach Kakashi recommended it. He thinks I might even be able to get the interest of a few college recruiters.”

“That’s great Sasuke,” I replied automatically. He had been getting really passionate about baseball ever since he joined the team. But as I thought about it longer, I realized that I probably wouldn’t get the time I wished to be with my boyfriend if he was away training.

“Sounds like we’re all going to be busy this summer. That sucks,” Naruto sighed.

I stared at my hands thinking the same exact thing. “Yeah. It does.” I tried not to sound so forlorn, but I failed.

Naruto seemed to sense my mood. “Well, look at the time. I better get going. Take care Sasuke, Sakura. Maybe you two can chat or do whatever it is that you guys do when you’re alone.”

Sasuke waited until Naruto was completely out of sight before he spoke, “Sakura, are you alright?”

So it seemed Sasuke also picked up on my melancholy. “Yeah, I guess. I was just hoping that we’d have more time to spend with each other over the summer. But if you’re going away to training camp, I guess that’s not going to happen.”

“I know Sakura. I’m sorry. But camp doesn’t start until three weeks from now so we have until then.”

Three weeks wasn’t actually that long when you considered that the summer was only three months long. But I guess it would have to do. “Okay, let’s spend as much time together as we can in these next three weeks then. So what do you want to do first?”

“Well, my parents actually wanted me to invite you over for dinner tomorrow. Itachi’s also back from school so we’re making it a huge family affair,” Sasuke said with a blush.

I smiled, finally lifted from my downcast mood. “I’d love to Sasuke.”

It was selfish of me to try and take-up all of Sasuke’s time. He had his own life and goals that he wanted to fulfill. That and I couldn’t possibly say no to him when he had found something that he really enjoyed. I really did have to thank Naruto for helping him open up. I knew I was probably going to be visiting the ramen stand he worked at a lot over the summer.

That night, I talked to Angel about the upcoming dinner. I also talked to him about the insecurities I had been having with Sasuke; how I hardly ever got to see him during the school year and now he was going to be away most of the summer for training camp. His only reply was a common idiom.

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder, Sakura-chan.”

If only that were the sole problem I was having. “Did you ever have any problems like this with your wife?”

“Sort of. When we got married, sometimes we had missions that kept us apart for long periods of time. But our relationship was never hurt by any of those absences. Once we reunited, we would always start back right where we left off.”

“Kind of like how you were telling me about that training trip you took before you two started dating?”
“Yeah, kind of like that. Except when I got back from that two-year training trip, I only found myself more in love with her.”

I smiled listening to the affection in his voice. His wife was a lucky woman. “Angel, did you ever try falling in love again after your wife died?”

“I did.”

“Were you able to?”

Angel paused and answered in defeat. “No.”

“She was that special to you, huh?”

“She was the whole world to me.”

“Do you think that she might have been reborn?” I asked, trying to lighten his mood.

“If she was reborn, I would find her and stay with her for as long as she lived. I would protect her and watch over her, keeping her safe.”

“Would you marry her again?”

“Sakura I . . . I don’t know. It’s probably impossible for me as I am. But that’s neither here nor there and besides, it’s getting late,” Angel added to divert the topic.

“Yeah, you’re right. Goodnight, Angel. I hope you find your wife again and you can be happy with her.”

“Goodnight, Sakura-chan. And thanks.”

* * *

Dinner was a tense affair at the Uchiha home. I felt like I was being put under the scrutiny of Sasuke’s family as I sat rigidly in my chair. Next to me, Sasuke kept a stiff hand on mine as he could feel my discomfort. Normally, I’m relaxed and welcomed in Sasuke’s house, but that’s because I’ve only had to deal with Sasuke and his mother. Mikoto loved me. I think she and Ino were conspiring behind my back to get Sasuke and I hitched by the end of the year. Sasuke’s father was emotionally detached so I really had no idea what the older male was thinking. He seemed pleased enough since he hadn’t ordered me out of his house. I had no doubt if he felt that I wasn’t worthy of his son, he would have asked me to leave by now.

I seemed to have an ally in Itachi’s fiancée, Yuugao. The older woman looked like she fit right in with the family with her long dark hair and dark eyes. At first glace, I thought she looked stern and detached, but I quickly learned that she had a gentle soul if the sympathetic glances my way were any indication. She was a good match for Itachi. Poor Ino didn’t stand a chance.

Speaking of Itachi; his behavior was strange tonight. I thought for sure I would see a friendly face in Sasuke’s older brother. We had known each other ever since I was a little girl. But tonight, he was glaring at me in an almost hostile manner. It was as if he disapproved of me dating his brother. I didn’t know if it stemmed from a general dislike of me that I never knew about or that he knew that deep down, my heart belonged to someone and it wasn’t Sasuke.

Mikoto’s wonderful cooking didn’t help abate the nervousness I felt around Itachi. I think Sasuke could also tell that his older brother seemed to disapprove of me. When dinner ended, I thought that I would be able to go home relatively unscathed. Oh how wrong I was. Before Sasuke and I could excuse ourselves so he could walk me home, Sasuke’s father called him into his office so they could discuss the details about the baseball training camp he was going to over the summer. Yuugao excused herself to help Mikoto in the kitchen, leaving me and Itachi alone in the spacious living room.

I sat nervously across from Itachi not sure of what to say or do in front of this man. But I didn’t have to do anything because Itachi spoke first.

“You don’t love my brother,” Itachi stated more than asked.

Well that was blunt. “I’m only sixteen; I don’t know what love is.”

“You haven’t gone all the way with him yet, have you?”

“What?!? No! What type of girl do you take me for?”

“Good. You haven’t taken away his innocence. Just a word of advice: for your sake and for the sake of my brother, end this silly charade. Even if Sasuke can’t tell, I can tell that you think about someone else whenever you’re together.”

My eyes widened as I stared at Itachi. He guessed in less than a few hours what no one else had been able to do, not even Angel. “How did you know?”

“You can’t trick my eyes. I’m also very protective of Sasuke. I consider you a friend Sakura so that’s why I’m going to make it easy for you. Break it off with my brother.”

I didn’t know what to say to that. It was shocking, but it was the truth. I just didn’t want to hurt Sasuke. “What about Sasuke’s feelings?”

“He’ll get over it. Just tell him the truth.”

“That’s easier said than done.”

“Sakura, I’ll be honest with you. I really don’t know what Sasuke sees in you. He used to tell me everything, but that was before I went off to college. He didn’t start gaining an interest in you until after I moved out to the dorms. We rarely talked, but the times we did, he seemed more on edge. Whenever he talked about you, it was more as an obligation than out of affection. I don’t know what he was going through at that time, but it was almost as if someone was forcing him to think about you and talk about you.”

I wrung my hands uncomfortably in my skirt and looked down at my shoes. I was too embarrassed to look Itachi in the eye. I had a feeling that whatever magic Angel used to get Sasuke to notice me four years ago had some side effects. I never asked what Angel did to Sasuke and after hearing Itachi’s story, I guessed whatever it was it wasn’t voluntary. “I’m sorry.”

“Do you care about Sasuke?”

“Yes, I do,” I answered honestly. “I really want to make Sasuke happy.”

“But he’s not the one who can make you happy,” Itachi added.

I must have looked like a gaping fish with the way my mouth was hanging open. It was true. Sasuke was a great boyfriend and though I didn’t mind being with him, he couldn’t make me happy the way Angel did. “No, he isn’t.”

“Then you know what you must do.”

Of course, that was assuming that I could get Angel to take a chance with me. “Itachi, how should I go about making the one I love notice me? He doesn’t think he can be with me.”

“Is he older?”

“Yeah.”

“Wait until you’re legal.”
“Thanks Itachi,” I said unenthused about the prospect. That was less than two years away. And that still didn’t really overcome the fact that Angel was going to appear like a sixteen-year-old forever.

“By the way, the advice I just gave you in no way applies to your blonde-haired friend.”

“Ino?”

“Yes, that girl. I know about her silly little crush on me. I’d appreciate it if in return for my advice you would find some way to get your best-friend infatuated with someone else.”

“You know about Ino’s crush on you?” I asked in disbelief. What else did this guy know?

“Unfortunately,” Itachi shuddered.

“Hey! Ino’s not that bad.”

“Sakura, she’s six years younger than me. I prefer women my own age or older. Besides, Yuugao and I are very committed to each other.”

“Yes, she does seem to compliment you well. You know Itachi; I want to thank you for confronting me with this. At first, I was afraid of whether or not I would get your family’s approval and when you gave me those looks like I was some lizard Sasuke brought home to keep, I wasn’t sure what to think. But now, I feel so much lighter.”

“I’m glad. Just be sure to let him down gently. I’m in town for the rest of the week so he’ll have someone to talk to.”

Shortly after I finished my heart-to-heart with Itachi, Sasuke came out of his meeting with his father. He held my hand as we walked back towards my house. He certainly wasn’t making this easy on me. I didn’t know how to start this conversation. It wasn’t as if I had any experience breaking up with a guy. Sasuke was my first boyfriend. But a girl had to do what a girl had to do.

“Sasuke, how did you think the dinner went tonight?” It was always best to start off with small-talk.

“It went alright,” Sasuke paused as he collected his thoughts. “I don’t know what was wrong with Itachi though. Out of everyone there, I thought he would be the one who would welcome you the most.”

“I think I know what was wrong.”

“What?”

I stopped walking to look at Sasuke squarely in the eyes. “First off, I want you to know that you’ve been wonderful to me and it’s not your fault.”

“Wait a minute Sakura. What’s with this ‘first off,’ speech here? What did Itachi tell you?” Sasuke asked getting agitated.

“He told me the truth. It’s something that I’ve been trying to deny and have been keeping from you because I sincerely wanted to give us a try.”

Sasuke’s eyes widened as he listened to what I said. “You’re breaking up with me?”

“Yes, but I want you to know why and also that it’s not your fault. It’s mine,” I pleaded as tears were threatening to spill. I truly didn’t want to hurt Sasuke, but I knew I had to.

“Is it because I’m going to be away all summer for training camp? I can pull out if you want, I don’t have to go this year.”

“No! Please don’t do that. The training camp is only part of it,” I took a deep breath. “I’m sure you know that I don’t exactly like how we barely get to see each other between school, sports and other obligations. But that’s only part of the reason why I think we need to break-up. The truth is . . . I’m in love with someone else. Itachi only helped me realize that. And it’s really not fair to you Sasuke. I hate that I can’t set aside my feelings and only think of you, but I just can’t. I’m so sorry Sasuke.”

Sasuke didn’t speak at first. He looked at me a bit stunned, but he remained quiet as he gave me a tissue to dry the tears that were streaming down my cheeks. I graciously took it and tried to clean my face. “Can I ask who it is? The one you’re in love with?”

“You’ve never met him. It’s a little complicated to explain, but he’s been with me for as long as I can remember. He’s always looked after me and protected me. He knows almost everything about me. I consider him my guardian angel. I know it sounds pretty silly, right?”

To my surprise, Sasuke shook his head and looked at me as if he knew who I was talking about. “I understand Sakura. I can’t say that I’m thrilled that you’re breaking up with me. I think I truly liked you. But if you’re in love with someone else, then I guess there’s nothing I can do about that. Thank you for telling me the truth.”

It was bittersweet as we both kissed one last time as a couple. I owed him that much. But I was glad that I finally told him my true feelings. It was the first time I told anyone who I loved. I didn’t realize how much of a burden it had been keeping all of those feelings bottled up inside. I was also eternally grateful to Sasuke who seemed genuinely happy for me. He walked me back to my house for what would probably be the last time. I gave him a hug and a chaste kiss on the cheek.

My father was up waiting for me when I got home. He greeted me and gave me a kiss goodnight before heading up to bed. I had to tell my parents tomorrow that Sasuke and I weren’t a couple anymore. I’m sure that my father would be having a private celebration honoring the fact that his young daughter is no longer within the clutches of a teenage boy. But he means well. As soon as I got to my room, I opened the window.

“Angel, are you up there?”

“Yeah, I’m here. So how was the dinner? Did Sasuke’s parents like you?”

“It went well. Sasuke’s parents were very nice and courteous. I got to see Itachi again and . . . Angel, I have something I have to say,” I paused to muster up some courage. “I broke-up with Sasuke tonight.”

“What? Why?”

“I realized that I was in love with someone else.”

“Who?”

I smiled as I answered, “You.”

Angel choked back a gasp. “Sakura-chan, you know that I can’t age. I don’t want to end up hurting you.”

“I know, but that still doesn’t change the way I feel. I know that you may never show me what you look like and I may never get to truly be with you; but I just had to let you know.”

“I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything. Just know that I love you and probably always will.”

I didn’t expect Angel to respond in kind yet. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if I never heard him say those three words because he was afraid they would give me hope for something completely unattainable. But none of that mattered to me because I felt free.

* * *

Summer flew by faster than I remembered. It probably had something to do with all of the volunteer work I was doing at the hospital. Sasuke and I were still friends despite the break-up. Naruto and Ino were both upset that we hadn’t lasted. It was hilarious when I told Ino though; I never thought I could find a subject that would shut her up for an entire day. Naruto didn’t take it too badly. He almost seemed to have seen it coming as he shrugged and said his condolences. He was a great friend to have over the summer as I frequented the ramen stand he worked at. It also didn’t hurt that he gave me an employee discount.

Before I knew it, I was starting my junior year at Konoha Gakuen. Ino found another obsession in a new student named, Sai. I think she was finally getting over her Itachi-craze. I never did tell her that she would never gain Itachi’s attention. I knew better than to hurt the pride of my best friend. The school year was much like last year’s, except Sasuke didn’t walk me to all of my classes. It was actually refreshing. I had forgotten what it was like to be independent.

About the only major change was that I think Naruto developed a crush on me. Since I told him I broke-up with Sasuke, he’s been looking at me differently. I sometimes would catch him staring at me when he thought I didn’t notice. It was flattering and Naruto was cute, but he wasn’t Angel. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that he probably didn’t have a chance with me. Angel never verbally reciprocated the love I had for him, but our conversations seemed to brighten up more after I told him my true feelings. It was as if a heavy cloud hanging over our heads had been lifted. Oddly enough, I still felt that there was so much he was keeping from me.

Another strange thing was that I got to know Sasuke more now that we weren’t dating. I don’t know if it was the fact that I showed him a part of me that I’ve never shown anyone before or that he felt more comfortable simply being my friend. He always tried to include Naruto in our conversations, making us an interesting trio to say the least. I think it was mainly because Sasuke wanted to share a part of himself with his friends. I was proud at how much he had opened up. In fact, one night Sasuke emailed me a news article that really caught my attention.

“Angel, did you know that NASA shot a rocket into the moon?”

“Why?”

“They were hoping to find water on the moon.”

“I hope that they didn’t piss off the monster living in it. That would royally suck.”

I laughed. “You’re the only person I know who thinks there’s a monster inside the moon. Most people believe there’s a rabbit living on it making mochi or that the moon is made out of cheese.”

“Hey, I have it on good authority that the moon houses a ten-tailed monster. If the earth gets attacked, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“But what do I have to fear? You’re there to protect me, right?”

Angel was silent for a long time. “Sakura-chan, I’d give my life to protect you and if the Juubi were to ever escape, know that I will save you. But I don’t even know what that creature is capable of if it were to be released. My wife theorized that my immortality was linked to the Juubi, but I don’t know how that works.”

I never thought of Angel being capable of being beaten by anyone or anything. But I remember how he mentioned that in his past, before he became immortal, he was quite fallible. “I know you still haven’t figured out how you became immortal or what jutsu it was that caused it, but do you think that it’s possible whatever NASA did to the moon might help you? I mean, what if they killed the Juubi?”

Angel chuckled. “That’s too funny Sakura. I can almost picture it you know. Instead of being taken down by the most powerful ninja known to man, the Juubi is taken out by a bunch of geeks from NASA who wanted to shoot a rocket into the moon.”

“Well, you have to admit, technology has gotten quite sophisticated over the years,” I pouted.

“True. Point taken. Even if I were immortal, I wouldn’t want to go up against a machine gun.”

“Would that even kill you?”

“I don’t know and I’m not going to find out. I will say that having lived as long as I have, technology is really amazing. If my shinobi village were still around, I don’t think we’d stand a chance against any army in today’s world. In fact, if we had today’s technology, I think my village could have defeated the Kyuubi.”

“Well, the human race had to find a way to defend ourselves somehow, right?”

“Yeah, you’re right. I just didn’t envision that when I let the shinobi system dissolve on its own, mankind would develop a new deadlier, more effective solution.”

“Mankind has always been good at adapting. Especially when it comes to the primal instinct of kill or be killed.”

“A part of me is saddened to think that the peace that I brought about so long ago is no more. There are so many wars and conflicts in the world.”

He was so idealistic. That was probably one of the many reasons why I loved him. “I’m at peace. All of my friends are living in peace and this city hasn’t had any conflicts in eons. Even if parts of the world are in conflict, there are parts of the world where people have no quarrels with one another. So peace is still here.”

“You’re right Sakura-chan. Thanks for making me feel better.”

Though I wished I could do more. I wanted to make him a mortal again, to be able to live a normal life and love whomever he wanted to without any fear. I hoped that the Juubi was killed and Angel was no longer tied to the beast. I just wanted him to be able to love me back.

* * *

Soon the air outside was getting colder and colder as old man winter decided to peek his head out. It was only a few more weeks before Christmas. I smiled thinking about the gift I was going to ask from Angel this year: a kiss. I only hoped that he would let me have it. I even planned to close my eyes through it so he wouldn’t reveal what he looked like. I was so lost in my thoughts, I didn’t notice the person in front of me until it was too late as I bumped into somebody.

“Whoa, careful there Sakura-chan, you might want to watch where you’re going,” Naruto said as he steadied me.

“Thanks Naruto. I guess I spaced out a bit,” I said as I raised my head to meet his eyes. “Say Naruto, did you hit a growth spurt? You look taller.”

“I am?” Naruto asked dumbfounded.

“Yeah. I think you were only a few inches taller than me, but now you look like you’re about a foot taller.”

Naruto put one hand on the top of his head and put the other on top of mine, trying to compare our heights. He stared at the height difference in rapt fascination. “Well I’ll be . . . I did grow.”

“Hey, it’s only natural; boys sometimes continue to get taller at this age.”

I felt Naruto’s hands grasping my arms almost desperately. He had a stunned look as he locked his haunted blue eyes on mine. “Sakura I . . . never mind.” And just as quickly as he grabbed me, he let go and walked to class without another word.

I don’t know what it was about that exchange, but something felt strange. It was as if he wanted to tell me some deep, dark secret. My heart wouldn’t stop beating a mile a minute. I tried to tell myself that my face was flushed because of Naruto’s sudden movements and not because I felt a connection with him when he held me. Angel was the only one who could elicit those responses from me and the connection was much stronger, or so I told myself.

Even though I was convinced that Naruto couldn’t possibly compare to Angel, there was still this air around us that was undeniable. It was frustrating. I don’t know how the lovable goofball even entered into my mind. He was so different from me, but I could feel completely comfortable whenever I was with him. Not only that, whenever I caught fleeting glimpses of him staring at me or letting his fingers linger on mine whenever we handed each other notes in class, my heart would soar.

When I told Angel about my growing feelings towards Naruto, he became unusually silent. “This is the same guy that you said wasn’t worthy of calling you, Sakura-chan, right?”

“Yeah, the same guy.”

“I don’t know what to say.”

I pursed my lips in confusion. Angel was never this uncertain. “Do you think it’s a good idea to give Naruto a chance like I did Sasuke? Or do you think it’s all just going to end the same way?”

“Honestly, I don’t know how it will end. Look, it’s getting late. Maybe we should talk about this tomorrow,” Angel said with a tinge of confusion.

“Yeah, it is getting late. Angel? I know I’m talking about Naruto a lot with you, but I still love you.”

“I know Sakura-chan, I know.”

I closed the window and sighed as I went to turn in for the evening. As I turned off the lights to my room, I noticed that the light in the kitchen was on. I dragged my feet downstairs where I was surprised to see my mother still up, wide-awake.

“Mom?”

“Sakura, you’re not asleep yet?”

“No, not yet. Why aren’t you asleep?”

“I forgot to take the pork out of the freezer. I’m making pork chops tomorrow for dinner. If I don’t take them out now, they’ll never defrost in time.”

“You could always microwave them if they’re still frozen.”

“True, but the microwave always seems to cook small parts of it and I don’t really like that.”

I laughed. My mother always was peculiar about how she cooked her food. She was a great cook and a great teacher, but I always tended to take short-cuts that she didn’t really approve of whenever I cooked.

“So Sakura is there anything on your mind you want to talk about?”

I looked at my mother in shock. “How did you know?”

“I’m your mother. Come; let’s sit on the couch where it’s more comfortable.” We both moved to the couch and I plopped down next to her. “So what’s on your mind?”

“I’m having some issues sorting out some feelings for two guys.”

“Oh? Anyone I know?”

“Mom!”

“I was just being curious. But what sort of conflict are you going through?”

I played with the hem of my pajamas as I answered. “I’ve been in love with this one guy for as long as I can remember. He’s my first love. It’s funny because he’s the reason why I broke-up with Sasuke. But recently, I’ve developed a crush on another one of my classmates. I don’t think that I love my classmate as much as I love the first guy, but I want to give him a chance. The thing is I’m afraid that if I do, it will end up like my relationship with Sasuke where I never fully had my heart into it. What do you think Mom?”

My mother paused for a moment as she processed everything I told her. “I think it wouldn’t hurt to give your classmate a chance. You say you fear that it might end up like your relationship with Sasuke, but what if it doesn’t? You really won’t know what your heart will feel until you let that person in. Who knows, maybe you’ll find that your feelings for your classmate will grow.”

I nodded my head. “Okay, so say I do end up dating my classmate. What if I find myself in a situation where I love both the classmate and my first love equally?”

“Then you choose whomever your heart tells you.”

I smiled, grateful for the advice and reached out to hug her. “Thanks Mom. But I’m not going to be the one to ask my classmate out. He has to do it.”

“As it should be,” my mother laughed.

* * *

The next day at school, I found myself glancing over at Naruto when I thought he wasn’t looking. I tried to be discreet about it, but I think Sasuke caught me a few times. I didn’t know what I needed to do to help give Naruto some hints that I liked him. Last time I had Angel’s help in getting Sasuke’s attentions and that took a few years. I didn’t want to do the same in case there were any negative side effects like there were with Sasuke.

I was so lost in thought; I almost didn’t notice the note that landed in my lap. Looking around the classroom, I caught Naruto dozing off a few seats away. Disappointed, I craned my head around to find Sasuke looking at me pointedly. So the note came from Sasuke. I opened it curious as to what he wrote. It was short and simple: Meet me after school at the big field near your house.

I didn’t know what Sasuke wanted to meet me for, but I wasn’t going to turn down the offer. Sasuke was my friend. I went through the rest of my day as I normally did. The only exception was my occasional moments with Naruto where I tried to flirt with him. I managed to get him to blush a few times and give me that look as if I was the most beautiful person in the world. He hadn’t gotten the courage to ask me out yet, but it was still early. I left school a bit lighter on my feet.

I think I skipped all the way to the field Sasuke referred to in his note. As I was walking, it started snowing lightly. I wrapped myself in my winter coat as I twirled around in the falling snow. I finally found Sasuke standing in the middle of the field. I ran to him cheerfully.

“Hey Sasuke! I got the note you left. So what did you want me to meet you out here for?”

Sasuke seemed to look around behind me for something before he finally responded by putting his hands firmly on my shoulders. “Sakura, I can’t hold back anymore. I’ve tried to get over you, but I don’t think I can hide my feelings any longer.”

“What?” I was confused over Sasuke’s actions. I thought it was pretty clear that we were just friends. What the hell was he trying to do?

“I want us to get back together.”

Before I had time to tell Sasuke I wasn’t going to get back together with him, he pulled my face towards his. Unfortunately, I was too slow to stop him as I found myself kissing my ex-boyfriend. I tried to push him away, but he was too strong. The next thing I knew, I felt Sasuke’s body pushed violently away from me.

What I saw next utterly shocked me. Naruto was standing in front of me glowering over Sasuke. He was emitting this heavy aura that I had never felt before. His muscles were tense as his eyes never left Sasuke, who was slowly getting back on his feet.

“Get away from Sakura-chan,” Naruto said in a deep voice.

My eyes widened when I heard Naruto talk. It wasn’t the usual boisterous voice I associated with Naruto. Instead, it sounded almost exactly like Angel’s voice.

Sasuke smirked. “What? Is Sakura your girlfriend now? Afraid that I could steal her away?”

“You had your chance Sasuke. Even with all of the help I gave you, she rejected you.”

“And you’re the better choice? You’re too chicken-shit to even tell her the truth!” Sasuke screamed as he charged at Naruto.

I yelled at both of them to stop fighting, but it fell on deaf ears. I was afraid that they were going to hurt each other, but what happened next was something I never dreamed could happen.

As Sasuke aimed his fists at Naruto’s head, Naruto blinked out of sight and then reappeared behind Sasuke. I saw Sasuke’s hands get twisted behind him as Naruto held him down.

“Why bother trying to fight me, you know you don’t stand a chance,” Naruto said.

Sasuke didn’t look like he was fighting against the grip Naruto had on him; instead, he had his look on his face as if there was something up his sleeve that was going to turn the tide in his favor. “So, how does it feel having the jealousy card played on you?”

Naruto’s eyes widened as he loosed his grip on Sasuke. This gave Sasuke the opportunity to get out of Naruto’s hold and punch the stunned boy in the face. I watched in horror as Naruto fell down.

“That’s for all of your crap I’ve had to put up with for the past four years!” Sasuke said in satisfaction. “I’m getting sick of watching you two dancing around the truth. Tell her, Naruto. Tell her what you really are.”

I stared at Naruto who looked up at me from the ground. A faint bruise was forming where Sasuke punched him in the face. “Naruto, what is Sasuke talking about?”

Naruto opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, but then shut it again as he diverted his eyes from me. The next thing I knew, he disappeared in a swirl of leaves. Sasuke looked indifferent as if he had seen Naruto do that trick before. I looked to Sasuke who gave me a sheepish look and then back to the space where Naruto was. I didn’t know everything about what mitigated the fight, but one thing I knew for sure: Naruto was Angel.